Premier Sports Cup - forfeited games galore

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

After that last round of fixtures which saw Forfar getting awarded a 3-0 win over Ross County, St Mirren awarded a 3-0 win over Dumbarton and Stranraer a 3-0 win over Greenock Morton, all for Covid. Kilmarnock are the latest to get in trouble.

The SPFL are having a disciplinary meeting on Thursday to determine if they fielded a player who was meant to serve a 1 match suspension (Daniel Armstrong.) They beat East Kilbride 2-0 in that fixture. You wonder if it will be another 3-0 win awarded.

3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Did we not field an ineligible player and got a 2-0 loss?

We won, against Cove and I think we brought Irving on who was ineligible. We were docked 2 points and fined £10k if I remember rightly.  The 1 point we got to keep seen us still qualify.

Just now, Bob Loblaw said:

We won, against Cove and I think we brought Irving on who was ineligible. We were docked 2 points and fined £10k if I remember rightly.  The 1 point we got to keep seen us still qualify.

Ah yeah that's right. I knew the number 2 came into it somewhere.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ah yeah that's right. I knew the number 2 came into it somewhere.

Yeah,

I think the issue was Irving was not registered properly after he came back from his loan deal from the previous season. Will be interesting to see if playing a player who is suspended is seen as equal to that or worse.

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah,

I think the issue was Irving was not registered properly after he came back from his loan deal from the previous season. Will be interesting to see if playing a player who is suspended is seen as equal to that or worse.

Just a hunch but I think fielding a suspended player will be treated as a greater offence and would expect a 3-0 win for East Kilbride.

More importantly have they made any decision on what happens to SPFL games this season if a team is unable to complete a fixture.

Saint Jambo
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah,

I think it will be seen as worse. Irving could have been eligible if the paper work had been completed correctly. Whereas, a suspended player absolutely shouldn't have been playing. That said, I think the Hearts punishment opened up a can of worms. I can see why Kilmarnock fans would feel aggrieved if they get a 3-0 loss. I can also understand why Cove felt aggrieved that we were punished but they didn't get the direct benefit.

The games forfeited for covid are potentially going to make a bit of a mockery of the group stages. Goal difference doesn't just matter within groups but potentially between groups to decide which group winners are seeded and which second place teams go through. I think I'm right in saying 3 of the 5 highest scoring wins were games that were forfeited. Over the course of a whole league season, awarding a 3-0 win is unlikely to make much odds to goal difference, but over the course of a 4 game group stage it feels excessive reward for the team benefitting.

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, happyjam said:

Just a hunch but I think fielding a suspended player will be treated as a greater offence and would expect a 3-0 win for East Kilbride.

More importantly have they made any decision on what happens to SPFL games this season if a team is unable to complete a fixture.

I agree. Having just looked at the details, the only things that might go in his favour are that the player had joined from Raith this summer which is presumably why they missed it. He also only played the final 18minutes when they were already 2-0 up. But agree, 3-0 still feels the most likely outcome.

JamboGraham
8 minutes ago, happyjam said:

Surely they will wait to see which team it is first....

Jambof3tornado
15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I agree. Having just looked at the details, the only things that might go in his favour are that the player had joined from Raith this summer which is presumably why they missed it. He also only played the final 18minutes when they were already 2-0 up. But agree, 3-0 still feels the most likely outcome.

Do they look for mitigating circumstances though? How long he played in the match etc isnt overly relevant I'd have said. Starts muddying the waters more if clubs can argue how much influence a player that shouldn't have been on the pitch had in a match.

Seems a shambles in this day and age and I said the same over our misdemeanour too.

Saint Jambo
9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Do they look for mitigating circumstances though? How long he played in the match etc isnt overly relevant I'd have said. Starts muddying the waters more if clubs can argue how much influence a player that shouldn't have been on the pitch had in a match.

Seems a shambles in this day and age and I said the same over our misdemeanour too.

You wouldn't have thought so, but they did in our case. They didn't just say we had fielded an ineligible player so it was a 3-0 defeat, they took into account other factors. Its why for all I was pleased with the decision benefitting us, I think it was the wrong decision.

The SPFL have been inconsistent in the past. Albion Rovers were kicked out the challenge cup for fielding a player who wasn't registered with them (but like Andrew Irving could have been), while Livingston were allowed to replay a challenge cup game after they fielded a player who was suspended. The fact there isn't a clear set of punishments set out for this kind of offence is ridiculous, but you can see how muddy the waters already are.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think it will be seen as worse. Irving could have been eligible if the paper work had been completed correctly. Whereas, a suspended player absolutely shouldn't have been playing. That said, I think the Hearts punishment opened up a can of worms. I can see why Kilmarnock fans would feel aggrieved if they get a 3-0 loss. I can also understand why Cove felt aggrieved that we were punished but they didn't get the direct benefit.

The games forfeited for covid are potentially going to make a bit of a mockery of the group stages. Goal difference doesn't just matter within groups but potentially between groups to decide which group winners are seeded and which second place teams go through. I think I'm right in saying 3 of the 5 highest scoring wins were games that were forfeited. Over the course of a whole league season, awarding a 3-0 win is unlikely to make much odds to goal difference, but over the course of a 4 game group stage it feels excessive reward for the team benefitting.

Just another example of the SPFL/SFA inability to think beyond the sheet of paper in front of their eyes.

50 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

You wouldn't have thought so, but they did in our case. They didn't just say we had fielded an ineligible player so it was a 3-0 defeat, they took into account other factors. Its why for all I was pleased with the decision benefitting us, I think it was the wrong decision.

The SPFL have been inconsistent in the past. Albion Rovers were kicked out the challenge cup for fielding a player who wasn't registered with them (but like Andrew Irving could have been), while Livingston were allowed to replay a challenge cup game after they fielded a player who was suspended. The fact there isn't a clear set of punishments set out for this kind of offence is ridiculous, but you can see how muddy the waters already are.

It does matter which team it is, sadly. I remember Rangers being told international clearance was not through for a player but they just went ahead and played him anyway. That was no mistake just total arrogance. They won 3-0 and the Scottish league slapped their wrist with a small fine. I think it was a goalkeeper who played the full game. 

Niemi’s gloves

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the influence of TV. In our case, a decision to turn the Cove result into a 3-0 loss would have screwed up the significance of our final group game against ICT which was set to be televised (can’t remember if it was BT or Sky). So magically it became only a 2 point deduction. 

19 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the influence of TV. In our case, a decision to turn the Cove result into a 3-0 loss would have screwed up the significance of our final group game against ICT which was set to be televised (can’t remember if it was BT or Sky). So magically it became only a 2 point deduction. 

Made the Hibsnut squeal like a stuck pig which was a nice bonus.

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, happyjam said:

Both were admin errors but Irvine was clear to play if the paperwork was completed, the Killie player was not eligible. Teams have been thrown out of competitions for that. As for your second point the league will be shitting it to punish teams in the league just in case one of the uglies was affected 

For us it was a failure in getting a new contract registered for an existing player that led to the 2 point penalty

Had it been a new signing 3 points would have been a certainty and I suspect Kilmarnock will suffer that fate............unless of course they did checks with the authorities pre match and were told there were no bans in place............I mean it's not like the authorities to get things wrong !!

Do we know if the majority of players have received their first dose of the vaccination ?

As we have already seen even limited protection might well save fixtures from cancellation and come September most may have received their second dose which will mean a cancellation is even more unlikely

Here's a scenario for you

East Kilbride may well get 3 points due to Kilmarnock fielding an ineligible player

They may also get 3 points due to Morton not being able to fulfil tonight's fixture which even if it goes ahead will be behind closed doors,,,,,,,with only a few hours to kick off it has still not been decided whether it will be played

So they could have 6 points with a possible plus 6 goal difference and only 2 matches to play in the group

Edited by CJGJ

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Do we know if the majority of players have received their first dose of the vaccination ?

As we have already seen even limited protection might well save fixtures from cancellation and come September most may have received their second dose which will mean a cancellation is even more unlikely

They should have as in Scotland 65.9% of 18-29 year olds have had their first dose and 79.9% of those in their 30s. So even based on standard population around 7 out of 10 of our first team squad will have had it. 

I'd also hope we are being proactive in encouraging players to get their vaccination so our figure might actually be higher.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Here's a scenario for you

East Kilbride may well get 3 points due to Kilmarnock fielding an ineligible player

They may also get 3 points due to Morton not being able to fulfil tonight's fixture which even if it goes ahead will be behind closed doors,,,,,,,with only a few hours to kick off it has still not been decided whether it will be played

So they could have 6 points with a possible plus 6 goal difference and only 2 matches to play in the group

Not a good look for the competition. Reckon we have set a precedent for Killie though, not sure they will be hit with the 3-0

3 hours ago, JTJ said:

It does matter which team it is, sadly. I remember Rangers being told international clearance was not through for a player but they just went ahead and played him anyway. That was no mistake just total arrogance. They won 3-0 and the Scottish league slapped their wrist with a small fine. I think it was a goalkeeper who played the full game. 

Cohen   Israeli 

5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Was it not Andy Irving ?

It was but felt they did us a favour as only docked 2 points knowing if we won last game then still qualified 

Edited by Newton51

36 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Cohen   Israeli 

That's right!  It was 3-0 v Stenhousemuir who should have been awarded a wlakover as Rangers knew he was not cleared to play 😁

30 minutes ago, JTJ said:

That's right!  It was 3-0 v Stenhousemuir who should have been awarded a wlakover as Rangers knew he was not cleared to play 😁

If I remember correctly

Forfar did the same thing and were disqualified