• Francis Albert

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• iainmac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heartsfc_fan

Enjoy your retirement JJ.

Is the good man still living the good life in the Scottish Borders (Earlston way?).

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Enjoy your retirement JJ.

Is the good man still living the good life in the Scottish Borders (Earlston way?).

Lauder back in the day? May have moved.

heartsfc_fan
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Lauder back in the day? May have moved.

Sorry, you're right. Lauder.

He was certainly there when he was our manager last time.

Francis Albert

Until I read the recent Reminiscing With Legends book I hadn't realised what a brilliant job JJ (and to be fair Billie Brown) did in putting together a team and a squad to challenge at the top in Scottish football. They worked hard at it and actually spent a lot of their time watching potential recruits rather than relying on agents, videos, and others' opinions. And it paid off with not only some great signings but also players who complemented each other in the team.

I am not sure what advising the board in his latest role involved. If Hearts haven't acknowledged his departure that is a bit shoddy.

Anyway hope Jim enjoys a very well earned retirement. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Saint Jambo
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Until I read the recent Reminiscing With Legends book I hadn't realised what a brilliant job JJ (and to be fair Billie Brown) did in putting together a team and a squad to challenge at the top in Scottish football. They worked hard at it and actually spent a lot of their time watching potential recruits rather than relying on agents, videos, and others' opinions. And it paid off with not only some great signings but also players who complemented each other in the team.

I am not sure what advising the board in his latest role involved. If Hearts haven't acknowledged his departure that is a bit shoddy.

Anyway hope Jim enjoys a very well earned retirement. 

I'm sure they will acknowledge it. The Sun got hold of the story and decided to run it at 7pm on a Friday night which probably took the club by surprise. Its hardly such big news it needs staff to rush back to their laptops on a Friday night rather than wait to the next day.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'm sure they will acknowledge it. The Sun got hold of the story and decided to run it at 7pm on a Friday night which probably took the club by surprise. Its hardly such big news it needs staff to rush back to their laptops on a Friday night rather than wait to the next day.

The Sun got the story before the club? Even if the Sun broke it earlier than expected the club should have been ready to put something out without staff having to "rush back to their laptops". 

But par for the course for Hearts PR and communications. 

SectionDJambo

Jim Jeffries gave us, my generation of Hearts supporter, something we had long lost hope of ever seeing.

A major trophy.

After the crushing disappointment of 1986, and subsequent years, we couldn’t see it coming. Jim and Billy gave our club a confidence and  swagger that made following Hearts fun again.

My thanks to him, and Billy, for that day in May 1998. What he told his players on the eve of that cup final was absolutely true. They will always be adored by those of us who had waited so long for that day in the sun.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Sun got the story before the club? Even if the Sun broke it earlier than expected the club should have been ready to put something out without staff having to "rush back to their laptops". 

No the Sun didn't get the news before the club, stop trying to spin folks words for your own wee kicks. 

What does it matter who broke the story? It was a fairly open secret and I'm sure Hearts knew that. 

Hearts will thank Jim for his commitment to the club and welcome him back whenever he wants with free drinks and food before any games he wants to attend. 

Fairly sure he didn't cancel anything. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Ledge. All the best JJ.  

Still the best Hearts manager to date since A Mac.  

♥️

I agree, though we’ll never know what Burley could have achieved. 

Pasquale for King

Hope he’s using a buggy on Gullane 1 if that’s the one up the hills, some trek up there and I was only spectating. 

ford donald
3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Jim’s love for Hearts, and everything he has done, is the polar opposite to Levein. No question who the real Hearts man is. Best of luck JJ, forever in our Hearts. ♥️

No doubt about that, Hearts through and through.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Sorry, you're right. Lauder.

He was certainly there when he was our manager last time.

I always look for him when my wife drives us through on the way down and back to Jedburgh 😆

Saint Jambo
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I didn't say the Sun had the story first. That would clearly be really stupid.

You're one of the posters who seem like you'd benefit from taking a break from Hearts and particularly jkb. Every little thing Hearys do (or not do) seems to make you grumpy. There must be things you could do that would make you happier.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Do you need to turn everything into a negative?

Every time. It's almost like you go out your way to have a dig at the club. 

You are the best at it, tho. 👍

If Hearts made me as unhappy as they seem to  make you I'd give it up. 

You can almost feel the "soul" and interest of any subject getting the life sucked out of it as soon as you post. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Maybe JJ wanted it under the radar. 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hope he’s using a buggy on Gullane 1 if that’s the one up the hills, some trek up there and I was only spectating. 

👍confirmed. 

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Exactly.

Very shoddy if true 😏

JamboJoker98

That '98 team and period is still one of the best times I've had followng Hearts and that is down to JJ. True legend in my eyes. Deserves his retirement and thank you JJ

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Maybe JJ wanted it under the radar. 

Maybe. Kind of backfired with an "exclusive" in the Sun of all places. I can't see why JJ would not want the club to announce his departure before the Sun. It could have been as low key as he liked I am sure

Anyway I made a mild observation in a few words at the end of a heart felt tribute to JJ which produced a predictable reaction from the negativity police.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Aye still in Lauder 

Like an earlier poster I always think of JJ when I occasionally drive through Lauder.

fast_blood
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Like an earlier poster I always think of JJ when I occasionally drive through Lauder.

Haha I grew up in Lauder and to be fair you barely used to see Jim. Used to see him a fair bit when I was a kid as I was in the same class as his son so used to go to his house a lot. 

Francis Albert

Understandably the focus of most posts in the 1998 cup win but in his first spell as manager he steadily improved the team and squad until.the near thing in the League Cup in 1996 and also finished third in the league in 1997/98. Also regularly qualified for Europe and had a few performances and results there we can scarcely dream of today. No Birkirkara type embarrassments certainly. In his short second spell he again got third place in the League.

His playing career wasn't too shabby either.

Edited by Francis Albert

Heartsofgold

Thank you for that day/weekend in May 1998.  Took me a week to recover from that but it was worth it.

Enjoy your well earned retirement JJ.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Understandably the focus of most posts in the 1998 cup win but in his first spell as manager he steadily improved the team and squad until.the near thing in the League Cup in 1996 and also finished third in the league in 1997/98. Also regularly qualified for Europe and had a few performances and results there we can scarcely dream of today. No Birkirkara type embarrassments certainly. In his short second spell he again got third place in the League.

His playing career wasn't too shabby either.

He did have some poor results and seasons as well but I think of him as probably the best manager we’ve had since Tommy Walker, followed by the serial losing manager Alex MacDonald. 😄

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

He did have some poor results and seasons as well but I think of him as probably the best manager we’ve had since Tommy Walker, followed by the serial losing manager Alex MacDonald. 😄

I was focussing on the positives!

Agree with that assessment. AM runs him.close but the OF had not become so dominant back then!

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I was focussing on the positives!

Agree with that assessment. AM runs him.close but the OF had not become so dominant back then!

Over 30 years since the days of AM - hard to believe. 

14 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

This.

JJ involved in some capacity at the club always makes me feel reassured.

Similarly Lockie and Robbo. 

If only Budge had brought in JJ as DoF instead of Levein 6 years ago we would never have ended up in the shit!

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

When you see coverage of games under JJ we played positive attacking football. We didn’t win every game but we had a go - changed days! 😏

Worthing Jambo
13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

When you see coverage of games under JJ we played positive attacking football. We didn’t win every game but we had a go - changed days! 😏

Loved the football Jim’s teams played.

Enjoy your retirement Jim and hope you are never too far away from Tynecastle.

For that day alone, eternal gratitude 👍🙏

Kidd’s Boots

Best wishes for a long and healthy retirement for this great Hearts player, manager, supporter and legend. His influence over the decades can be measured in both success and disappointments, but his commitment, belief and love for this club whenever he has been called upon is undoubted.

All the best Jag. 

15 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Loved the football Jim’s teams played.

Enjoy your retirement Jim and hope you are never too far away from Tynecastle.

For that day alone, eternal gratitude 👍🙏

Well said! 👍

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Not a thread for moaning, FA.

Jim hasn't died!

It is a thread for celebrating and recognising his achievements in a long career with Hearts, as JKB members including me have done profusely.

Having rushed to our laptops!

i wish jj was my dad

The club should appoint the great man as Honorary President. 

Enjoy your retirement Mr Jim 💕.

14 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Jim’s love for Hearts, and everything he has done, is the polar opposite to Levein. No question who the real Hearts man is. Best of luck JJ, forever in our Hearts. ♥️

Unnecessary Levein comparison alert.

They're both proper Hearts

men who love the club.

Best wishes to Jim Jefferies.

all the best Jim.You helped give me the best couple of weeks in my life.Even smashing the vermin in 2012 couldnt match the feelings I had after winning that game.

47 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Unnecessary Levein comparison alert.

They're both proper Hearts

men who love the club.

Best wishes to Jim Jefferies.

Unnecessary Levein apologist alert.

JJ is a proper Hearts man - Levein is a Levein man!

19 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Unnecessary Levein apologist alert.

JJ is a proper Hearts man - Levein is a Levein man!

No doubt you are in the middle slating others n praising JJ 🤣.

@4marsbars is right , no need at all to be talking about other people on a thread about JJ. 

Met him at hospitality on his second stint back at the club after we had beaten the Wee Team AGAIN, you could not wipe the smile from his face and the man is an absolute gent and really does bleed maroon. Enjoy your retirement JJ.:jjockio:

17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Enjoy your retirement Jim! You absolute legend! 

All the best. 

Absolutely.  I am kind of pleased he has left, so he can do exactly this.  He deserves it.  

Thanks again Jim

Get on the golf courses and in the garden, and get your feet up with any time left.

Enjoy a proper retirement.. 

#Legend 

niblick1874

I get holding him in such high regardas. It's the way it should be, however, I watched him from the begining and I see him as just one of us more than anything else. He has always been there and always will be, for me. Have fun Jim, and thanks. It was fun watching you live the dream and being a part of it. 🙂