Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

What I mean is that you and I can flip and flop between 'favourite' players but neither of us feel so strongly about it that we'd get into a fight about it or get a tattoo of one of them on our arse cheek (speaking for myself now). Different to supporting a football club or a national team when the personnel change from season to season and match to match.

In short - some tennis fans are feckin' nut-jobs.

Left eye or right eye?

3CE1C0F300000578-0-image-a-12_1486460579

Yep agreed. 

33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just to add my oar in, I don't particularly like any of the 3 goats. I used to slightly prefer Novak but his stupidity over Covid put me right off. The quicker we can get some new blood in the better.

Oh and I felt more respect and appreciation for him regarding that 

“ stupidity “ . Used to admire Nadal but went right off him after his pile on ! 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've plenty arguments that show unionist are full of shite when it comes to the Scottish economy. But I'll keep it for the Indy thread when it gets underway. 

Who's favourite to lift the french? Rafa may be carrying an injury. I like the look of that new lad, Alcaraz? he'll be taking over rather soon. 

The favourite to win the French is Novak . He’s back to his best . Nadal will be using the excuse that’s he’s a player 

“ playing with injuries “ this will get him the sympathy when he gets bombed out at Roland G . It’s so disrespectful to opponents . Injured ? Don’t play then. ! 

Still a while for alcaraz to take over I feel . 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The favourite to win the French is Novak . He’s back to his best . Nadal will be using the excuse that’s he’s a player 

“ playing with injuries “ this will get him the sympathy when he gets bombed out at Roland G . It’s so disrespectful to opponents . Injured ? Don’t play then. ! 

When you say Novax is back to his best, do you mean the peds have been topped up? He sticks All sorts of Performance enhancing drugs in his body and moans about vaccines.

Edited by ri Alban

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep agreed. 

Oh and I felt more respect and appreciation for him regarding that 

“ stupidity “ . Used to admire Nadal but went right off him after his pile on ! 

Different strokes and all that, James. :)

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A slightly injured Nadal is still going to whup the asses of 90+% of players, particularly on the clay. If I were him, I'd be taking a chance that the draw falls kindly and I could play through my niggles. I don't see the disrespect; it's no worse than, say, Andy Murray entering the draw when nobody expects him to be making it beyond a couple of rounds.

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

When you say Novax is back to his best, do you mean the peds have been topped up? He sticks All sorts of Performance enhancing drugs in his body and moans about vaccines.

Don’t you mean nadal ? 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Kinda makes me like him more. That and the outright xenophobia against him (not from, Red, but plenty others in the press and online).

Yes the xenophobia and piles on from other tennis players were disgusting , even one of my all tome favourites got in on it , Martina N . Went off her too . 

PortyJambo

Novak, Nadal and Alcaraz all in the same half of the draw for the French Open. Norrie also in the same half, and could meet Alcaraz in the 4th round. Pretty much certain that the winner will come from that half. I don't see Medvedev (just back from injury) or Tsitsipas being much of a threat from the other half of the draw, even if they manage to get through to the final.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Novak, Nadal and Alcaraz all in the same half of the draw for the French Open. Norrie also in the same half, and could meet Alcaraz in the 4th round. Pretty much certain that the winner will come from that half. I don't see Medvedev (just back from injury) or Tsitsipas being much of a threat from the other half of the draw, even if they manage to get through to the final.

Yes there has been a lot of criticism of the weak other half of draw . They could have easily split Nadal or Novak or Alcaraz . Might mean the Final is a damp quid really as both players you mentioned unlikely to put up a good fight against Novak 

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No ranking points for Wimbledon.

Good to see the ATP choosing Russian and Belarusian players over Ukraine's players.

Those poor wee souls who make fortune playing tennis need their rights protected while the system that produced them wages war on Ukraine.

Disgraceful decision.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good to see the ATP choosing Russian and Belarusian players over Ukraine's players.

Those poor wee souls who make fortune playing tennis need their rights protected while the system that produced them wages war on Ukraine.

Disgraceful decision.

Agreed 👍

I P Knightley
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Anyone know any decent streams for the French Open ?

I'm listening to Radio Roland Garros as I potter around in the garden and keep one eye on the football. Unfortunately, I'm not much good at sourcing video streams.

PortyJambo

Fairly big shock on the first day with Ons Jabeur, the 6th seed and the in-form women's player behind Swiatek this year, beaten in the 1st round.

Auger-Aliassime, the men's 9th seed, also came close to exiting on the first day, coming from 2 sets down to win in 5 against some Peruvian player. I've been expecting the two Canadians, A-A (I'm not typing/spelling his full name our every time...) and Shapovalov to be challenging at the top of the rankings this year, but they both seem to have stalled a bit from their form/promise of last year.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm listening to Radio Roland Garros as I potter around in the garden and keep one eye on the football. Unfortunately, I'm not much good at sourcing video streams.

Yeah ive seen its on " Discovery plus".  Its £6.99 per month but you can subscribe for a free for the first week. Im not a tight wad but thats a good deal. 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Fairly big shock on the first day with Ons Jabeur, the 6th seed and the in-form women's player behind Swiatek this year, beaten in the 1st round.

Auger-Aliassime, the men's 9th seed, also came close to exiting on the first day, coming from 2 sets down to win in 5 against some Peruvian player. I've been expecting the two Canadians, A-A (I'm not typing/spelling his full name our every time...) and Shapovalov to be challenging at the top of the rankings this year, but they both seem to have stalled a bit from their form/promise of last year.

Yes the Jabeur was def an upset.  She had been in form lately and should / could have got to the semis or the final. Auger Aliassime struggled as well but good to see him get through i I enjoy his playing style. Think Shap is on tomorrow and the big yin Novak ,the reigning champ

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy

The French open is such an odd slam as its incredible the great talents who have NOT done well there.  Either not winning it at all * Mcenroe , Becker , Connors et. al or only winning it a couple times despite being top players like Navratilova etc  OH and Sampras 

Edited by JamesM48

I P Knightley

I'm hearing a fair amount of grumbling about the scheduling, e.g. for today in that world #1 Swiatek's match was scheduled to run at the same time as the unseeded Naomi Osaka's; while the evening/night schedule is Nadal then Djokovic. One argument was that 'it might be Osaka's last match of the tournament' (as has turned out to be the case); so arguing that their showpiece session should be a no-hoper against someone that very few could name. It comes fresh on the heels of another 'make the prize money equal' fuss after the Rome (or it might have been Madrid) Masters where the wifies don't get as much as the blokes.

Whilst Swiatek is sensational and well worth watching, I'd be thoroughly pissed off if I'd paid big money for an evening session only for it to be over and done with in 54 minutes, 6-2; 6-0. Now, it may be that Djoko steamrollers his opponent in 3 easy sets but I'm going to get more value for money with a 3 set match than 14 games.

Cam Norrie, off the back of winning in Lyon, is about to kick off against a French wildcard. That could be fun.

JudyJudyJudy
50 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm hearing a fair amount of grumbling about the scheduling, e.g. for today in that world #1 Swiatek's match was scheduled to run at the same time as the unseeded Naomi Osaka's; while the evening/night schedule is Nadal then Djokovic. One argument was that 'it might be Osaka's last match of the tournament' (as has turned out to be the case); so arguing that their showpiece session should be a no-hoper against someone that very few could name. It comes fresh on the heels of another 'make the prize money equal' fuss after the Rome (or it might have been Madrid) Masters where the wifies don't get as much as the blokes.

Whilst Swiatek is sensational and well worth watching, I'd be thoroughly pissed off if I'd paid big money for an evening session only for it to be over and done with in 54 minutes, 6-2; 6-0. Now, it may be that Djoko steamrollers his opponent in 3 easy sets but I'm going to get more value for money with a 3 set match than 14 games.

Cam Norrie, off the back of winning in Lyon, is about to kick off against a French wildcard. That could be fun.

I wonder what has happened to Osaka too  ?  Her and Halep have really slumped. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I wonder what has happened to Osaka too  ?  Her and Halep have really slumped. 

I guess that Osaka is still struggling mentally to get herself up for matches?

Halep has been working her way back from injury; it will be interesting to see how she progresses.

PortyJambo

Osaka has now said she might not play Wimbledon because of the ban and ranking points debacle. I don't think she'll be the only one who may reconsider whether to play there, especially when a lot of players, in particular those brought up on clay, aren't keen on playing on grass anyway. 

Edited by PortyJambo

I P Knightley

Osaka has now said she might not play Wimbledon because of the ban and ranking points debacle. I don't think she'll be the only one who may reconsider whether to play there, especially when a lot of players, in particular those brought up on clay, aren't keen on playing on grass anyway. 

Given she's not in it for the money (based on her endorsements), then she has to be battling for points to get herself back up the rankings. That makes Wimbledon a waste of her time.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Given she's not in it for the money (based on her endorsements), then she has to be battling for points to get herself back up the rankings. That makes Wimbledon a waste of her time.

Yep . She’s not had much of a chance of winning it 

On 20/05/2022 at 19:15, ri Alban said:

No ranking points for Wimbledon.

On 20/05/2022 at 19:29, Malinga the Swinga said:

Disgraceful decision

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the ban, the ATP has provided a very welcome boost to Russia. Which probably wasn't their intention. But its a boost to Russia all the same. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Raducanu in trouble here. I haven't watched her much, but she seems very inconsistent, which is to be expected of most younger players except the elite like Hingis and the Williams sisters.

Monica Seles won 8 slams by the time she was 19 

PortyJambo
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Wow, she's turned this around superbly.

Good player she was up against, I've never heard of her but only 17 and they said she'd won the Junior French last year, so is used to playing on clay.

I P Knightley
37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the ban, the ATP has provided a very welcome boost to Russia. Which probably wasn't their intention. But its a boost to Russia all the same. 

Pretty much guaranteeing Medvedev a few months at number 1.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Nole strolling his 1st round match. Glad I put some cash on him to take it 3-0.

Yes just watching . Injury free and he’s motivated to win this tournament for so many reasons ! He’s effortless in his playing . Just won it 

JudyJudyJudy

Novak bring interviewed and speaking French . He speaks 5 languages ! Impressive . 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Novak bring interviewed and speaking French . He speaks 5 languages ! Impressive . 

You obviously fancy him that much, it’s having an impact on your spelling.  😎👀

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Oche I was on my phone ! Harder to see the letters 😂😂😂 and I don’t fancy him ! Just admire him as a player and a human being Dimitrov  or Berretnini   ! Now your talking 😎

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

And that comment deserves this gif 

76391D87-4820-4BE2-AA89-42B1D4BA9B8D.gif

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Lack of vaccination has clearly boosted both his linguistic and tennis capabilities. No wonder I'm crap at both :( 

He’s super human really without the need for any form of drugs , unlike someone else who is apparently “ injury” free just now …. Wait until he is losing in a match ! Can almost guarantee if he loses it’ll be related to an “ injury “ he hasn’t got ! 

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

CE7F9E0D-7D92-4F63-893A-8C065EE3FD8F.jpeg

Christ she's ugly .. or maybe it's a he :kirk:

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Speaking of injuries, what's happened to Federer? Is he pan breid?

No hes playing his final Wimbles this year but hes identifying as Norma Desmond. 

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Christ she's ugly .. or maybe it's a he :kirk:

Only way to find out Jeff...you first...

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Novak bring interviewed and speaking French . He speaks 5 languages ! Impressive . 

Tbf he does live in Monaco. 😁

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Tbf he does live in Monaco. 😁

Et ? 😂

JudyJudyJudy

Jo Wilfried Tsonga last game today. He got beat and was very emotional at the end of the match.  Lovely guy. Great player.  Hope he has a great retirement,

There was a stunning match earlier between Alex De minaur and  Hugo  Gaston . Some beautiful stylish play and it went 10 at the final set tie break.  Good to see another French man carry the torch now.

JudyJudyJudy
20 hours ago, jonesy said:

Nah, don't think he used the Monaco IDC when he phoned home.

200 (2).gif

Jeffros Furios

Musetti at times is a joy to watch , presently giving the Greek fraud a scare. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Musetti at times is a joy to watch , presently giving the Greek fraud a scare. 

Yes he’s playing well .