Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I must try that some time :D

There can't be many tennis pants and dresses in my size but I know where Jo Durie plays & coaches so could pop down and ask her.

Jo_Durie_doubles_Wimbledon_2004.jpg

Oh she was a big lassie. She probably managed to stuff a few up her drawers  ! 

image-23-10-21-06-55-9.gif

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not been that great a game as there has been far too many unforced errors from Stephens. That always spoils a decent game i feel. 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh she was a big lassie. She probably managed to stuff a few up her drawers  ! 

She's got two pockets: one for the ball, the other for the pork pies.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Its not been that great a game as there has been far too many unforced errors from Stephens. That always spoils a decent game i feel. 

A shame, as there have been some super shots played in between those errors. Stephens played one in that last game, to claw back an advantage, that had huge power and precision.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Very much looking like a top 16 player again is Murray. Doubt he will ever win another major but he always does well at the Aussie open. 

Has he lost 6 Aussie finals? Crazy to think how many he might’ve got had he not came along same time as those other 3 juggernauts of the game. 

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Oh this set is turning into a dull one for the Emma doubters 😁

She's like some sort of Tasmanian Devil - when she gets going, it's pure energy and almost irresistible. 

When she get's mired in a tight game with the opponent mixing it up, it's not so good. But when she goes it's totally wham bam.

Edited by Gizmo

Well done Emma.

Great win (in the end) v a difficult opponent.

I think the mental aspect of that game is a great positive for her. She could have easily folded after that second set.

What a return to take the win.

She must take a lot from this against a bloody decent opponent. 

Edited by Gizmo

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Has he lost 6 Aussie finals? Crazy to think how many he might’ve got had he not came along same time as those other 3 juggernauts of the game. 

5 loses in the final

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

She's got two pockets: one for the ball, the other for the pork pies.

A shame, as there have been some super shots played in between those errors. Stephens played one in that last game, to claw back an advantage, that had huge power and precision.

the pork pies.    

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That's always a fairly ludicrous argument really. To be the best you have to beat the best. He did . But only now and then. 

Malinga the Swinga

To op win for Radacanu. Hopefully shut a few critics up, at least for a while. If she gets her game going, she will be difficult for anyone.

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

That's always a fairly ludicrous argument really. To be the best you have to beat the best. He did . But only now and then. 

I didn’t say he was the best. He clearly wasnt although he’s had a great career.
But to come along at the time he did stopped him adding a couple more majors at least. 

To be honest Id be more confident about her progression in Oz if she had beaten a player in fine form. However Stephens was fairly appalling today. Its incredible it got to 3 sets really.

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I haven’t watched him much for a while. Forgot about that bloody “eeeehhhhh” every shot now. 
Turn it in andy pal. 

Knightley Jr had a few coaching sessions as a junior with a top coach who's also worked with the Murray brothers. He told my son to do that on every shot, initially so that he (coach) would know that the player was breathing properly during the shot. Thankfully, my lad was too self-conscious to make a big deal of doing it all the time but, on the downside, he's not going to have £50million career winnings. You win some, you lose some; ho hum!

I P Knightley
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

To be honest Id be more confident about her progression in Oz if she had beaten a player in fine form. However Stephens was fairly appalling today. Its incredible it got to 3 sets really.

Next round is a 'journeyman' player who's been around a few years without ever making the third round of a major or spending much time in the top 50. I know nothing about her other than the stats but she's the level of player who Raducanu now needs to be playing well against her and to come through comfortably.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Next round is a 'journeyman' player who's been around a few years without ever making the third round of a major or spending much time in the top 50. I know nothing about her other than the stats but she's the level of player who Raducanu now needs to be playing well against her and to come through comfortably.

Yes ive just read up on her. I would assume she should beat her. 

59 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Raducanu is quickly becoming someone who just steels up when it's a big tournament and when she's in the mood she was today, even a fight-back by Sloane who had figured out she could unsettle her with her variety and quality of shot selection, wasn't enough. Will see if this theory holds water if she just goes full beast mode and swats the next player away without fuss.

Stephens was not the easiest of first round players, but you can see why she's not higher ranked from her performance - brief glimpses of a very good player but a lot of unforced errors. 

Big Slim Stylee
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Raducanu is quickly becoming someone who just steels up when it's a big tournament and when she's in the mood she was today, even a fight-back by Sloane who had figured out she could unsettle her with her variety and quality of shot selection, wasn't enough. Will see if this theory holds water if she just goes full beast mode and swats the next player away without fuss.

Stephens was not the easiest of first round players, but you can see why she's not higher ranked from her performance - brief glimpses of a very good player but a lot of unforced errors. 

Always struck me as an outrageous talent but not that fussed? She was still on her honeymoon with that ex- Sunderland player Altidore a couple of weeks back? Decent life balance - won a major, not that arsed 😀

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Never knew he had lost so many Aussie Finals. Shame he couldn’t have won at least one of them. But aii m he would be in double figures for majors without the big 3. Was some effort to get to the number one in the world spot and win the majors he did.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Never knew he had lost so many Aussie Finals. Shame he couldn’t have won at least one of them. But aii m he would be in double figures for majors without the big 3. Was some effort to get to the number one in the world spot and win the majors he did.

He’s only British player to ever make final of all the slams too. With a bit of luck he’d have a couple extra majors titles. 
He got to number 1 then the injury struck really. Shame but great career with 3 majors, two Olympic golds, world number 1 and numerous runner up medals. It’ll be a long time until there’s another Andy Murray. 
Possibly Scotlands greatest sportsman for me. 

2 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Always struck me as an outrageous talent but not that fussed? She was still on her honeymoon with that ex- Sunderland player Altidore a couple of weeks back? Decent life balance - won a major, not that arsed 😀

Possibly fair - I assume they make a good living on the circuit. 

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s only British player to ever make final of all the slams too. With a bit of luck he’d have a couple extra majors titles. 
He got to number 1 then the injury struck really. Shame but great career with 3 majors, two Olympic golds, world number 1 and numerous runner up medals. It’ll be a long time until there’s another Andy Murray. 
Possibly Scotlands greatest sportsman for me. 

Fred Perry might want a word with you.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Was there an Aussie open back then? 

Yes.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Pity FP was an Aussie. :)

9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Possibly fair - I assume they make a good living on the circuit. 

The top guys do. I can't imagine the players lower down the rankings do once they've covered flights, hotels, coaching, physio and so on.

7 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Miaow indeed.

"Realising she might be in danger of sounding sour"....bit late for that, Sloane!

Oh i know. Rather bitchy. I love it .

I P Knightley
50 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Fading young upstart has dig at rising young upstart.

There's a movie script in there - a tennis version of A Star is Born. You just see. In five years' time, Stephens and Raducanu will be lifting doubles Grand Slam titles.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Fading young upstart has dig at rising young upstart.

There's a movie script in there - a tennis version of A Star is Born. You just see. In five years' time, Stephens and Raducanu will be lifting doubles Grand Slam titles.

LOl or " All about Eve" 

Yes they will be friends years later . Chris and Martina had their issues when they played but now seem to have a lovely friendship now. I think Martina Hingis is friends with a lot of her contempories despite being a nippy sweetie on the court and in press conferences. She seems happily married now and has a kid. I follow her on twitter and she posts a lot of nice pics of her life .  Seems more settled. 

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, redjambo said:

:lol: ok👍🏼
Was sure I read that somewhere about AM. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yes.

Pity FP was an Aussie. :)

Perry was born in Britain then took US citizenship including being drafted into US military for WW2

Just now, jack D and coke said:

:lol: ok👍🏼
Was sure I read that somewhere about AM. 

No worries, Jack. It probably said that he was the only Brit to do that in the open era. And before anyone checks, Virginia Wade got into the final of 3 of the slams, in fact won them all, apart from the French where she only got as far as the quarter finals, twice.

Anyway, this was definitely me last night. :D

duty_calls.png

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

No worries, Jack. It probably said that he was the only Brit to do that in the open era. And before anyone checks, Virginia Wade got into the final of 3 of the slams, in fact won them all, apart from the French where she only got as far as the quarter finals, twice.

Anyway, this was definitely me last night. :D

duty_calls.png

:lol: we’ve all been there I think pal

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Perry was born in Britain then took US citizenship including being drafted into US military for WW2

Indeed. And won all of his grand slams while still a fully-fledged Brit, as an amateur, until he got pissed off with the "class-conscious nature of the Lawn Tennis Club of Great Britain", and turned professional and skedaddled to the US. Who knows how many more slams he could have won if he had remained amateur.

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Hopefully Monfils is on form this morning. Always enjoy watching him when he is playing well.

Yes what is it with French players? They are often a delight to watch.  Very classy and some superb shots form him and various other French. 

Zvreve  is playing really well today against Millman. Really good stuff. Maybe with the top player in the world not playing he has a chance of this slam. Good luck to him

However i have noticed that his fashion sense is abysmal really. Those shorts he is wearing  wouldn't look out of place on the beach in Benidorm.  Even though I hate the elitism of Wimbledon and the all white rule it  does make the men and women look smart.  But some of the states I've seen at the Oz already.... :(  Hopefully Nadal wears his pink shorts again one day............ 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

Edited by JamesM48

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Zvreve  is playing really well today against Millman. Really good stuff. Maybe with the top player in the world not playing he has a chance of this slam. Good luck to him

However i have noticed that his fashion sense is abysmal really. Those shorts he is wearing  wouldn't look out of place on the beach in Benidorm.  Even though I hate the elitism of Wimbledon and the all white rule it  does make the men and women look smart.  But some of the states I've seen at the Oz already.... :(  Hopefully Nadal wears his pink shorts again one day............ 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

Is it a similar outfit to Broady's?

liam-broady-of-great-britain-plays-a-bac

Excellent play from Zverev .  Looking good. 

That Aussie crowd are a real rabble.  What a bunch. 

I prefer the US open crowd.  They are mad for it.

Wimbledon crowd applaud when they see a pidgeon.. Or singalong to Cliff Richard ...enough said

French crowd . Take zero prisoners. 

oh my god.  The person interviewing Zverev just asked him to show his " guns  😮  

Australian the country political correctness bypassed :) 

One could never imagine Dan Maskell saying that :)  He was a right old snob but totally loved his commentary and he had so much knowledge stored in his memory. Great man. 

I P Knightley

The schedule for tomorrow has Murray playing at 0630 our time and then, from 0800, you can choose between Raducanu v Kovonic or Medvedev v Kyrgios. I wonder whether Kyrgios will try pulling out the same variety of pisstake shots he did against Broady?

In case you didn't see it: