• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Bindy Badgy said:

What's with the numpties booing Murray? Don't think he's said anything to upset the Ozzies?

Heard them while listening to radio. You get idiots everywhere, and Murray will simply ignore them.

Good win though.

5 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

What's with the numpties booing Murray? Don't think he's said anything to upset the Ozzies?

The BBC feed reckons they are doing Ronaldo 'siuuu's. Either way, numpties indeed.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Well done Andy. Would be great if he can go deep into this tournament!

I think that's unlikely, unfortunately. His opponent is ranked 22nd in the world and his best performance in a major tournament is the 4th round. If Murray was going to go deep I would expect him to put this type of opponent away much more easily. I hope Murray proves me wrong :) 

Edited by Bindy Badgy

25 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Watson wins, Murray wins and Evans looky good. Can't see Broady winning though.

Evans is a good working class lad. A rarity in British tennis. Hope he gets further. Surprised at Watson winning. I thought she had retired :) 

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Well done Andy. Would be great if he can go deep into this tournament!

He will be out the next round i think. 

A blast from the past Richard Gasquet got through. Hes a lovely finese player and very French :) 

Dimirov struggled but got through. 

Kvitova out. Rogers out. 

Sabalanka in tough tussle just now as predicted by a poster. 

22 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I think that's unlikely, unfortunately. His opponent is ranked 22nd in the world and his best performance in a major tournament is the 4th round. If Murray was going to go deep I would expect him to put this type of opponent away much more easily. I hope Murray proves me wrong :) 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Evans is a good working class lad. A rarity in British tennis. Hope he gets further. Surprised at Watson winning. I thought she had retired :) 

He will be out the next round i think. 

Ye of little faith. I'm going quarters for Murray!

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A blast from the past Richard Gasquet got through. Hes a lovely finese player and very French :) 

Dimirov struggled but got through. 

Kvitova out. Rogers out. 

Sabalanka in tough tussle just now as predicted by a poster. 

And Kohlschreiber, too. Cilic not quite the same league (as an old-timer) but still showing that the young guns aren't taking over as they might.

Isner's been pumpded oot but I was surprised to see that he was seeded 22. I imagined he was off to the glue factory by now.

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

And Kohlschreiber, too. Cilic not quite the same league (as an old-timer) but still showing that the young guns aren't taking over as they might.

Isner's been pumpded oot but I was surprised to see that he was seeded 22. I imagined he was off to the glue factory by now.

lol  Regarding Isner. . He was mainly just a cumbersome big server. Yes nice to see Cilic through and as I said the delightful play of Gasquet. Monfils is also through to Allez les francais. 

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just being realistic Taffin. I like Andy but I cant see him going too deep.....

Dennis Denuto
36 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

If Andy is going to get back in the top ten then he needed more time on court, he has had that in the last week and again today. The next round is the sort of guy he has been able to beat recently so there is potential for him to have a wee run this week.

Hopefully his body holds up and his tennis gets better as he goes along.

I P Knightley
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Next round, he plays a qualifier - Japanese New Yorker, Taro Daniel who's late 20s but never gone past round 2 in a slam and never gone into the top 60 in world rankings. Proper journeyman who the 'old' Murray would expect to beat easily. It will be a good indicator of his prospects for going further.

If he gets past Daniel, the likely next opponent is Jannick Sinner who's one of the in-form young guys. He'd take some beating.

So pleased for Andy, watched the final set and he dug in well. 5 set match not ideal but he's probably surpassing expectation down under already.

He should get past Taro Daniel in three, maybe four sets.

21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

lol  Regarding Isner. . He was mainly just a cumbersome big server. Yes nice to see Cilic through and as I said the delightful play of Gasquet. Monfils is also through to Allez les francais. 

I shouldn't like Cilic but i really do. Great guy and can actually play a bit if needed - especially in the tussles between the big servers - if it breaks into a game of Tennis Cilic will almost always win.

Looks like Sabalenka has managed to get out her head. A stronger player than Sanders would have had this match wrapped up already.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Ta. 

Thought your post suggested he lost. 

Nah, he was up a break in the 5th, leading 4-1, however he was then broken back after I posted, which put it back on serve. 

😁

Very much looking like a top 16 player again is Murray. Doubt he will ever win another major but he always does well at the Aussie open. 

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Nah, he was up a break in the 5th, leading 4-1, however he was then broken back after I posted, which put it back on serve. 

😁

Kept us on the edge of the seat to the very last, going 0-40 up on Basilashvili's serve in the last game but letting him get back to 30-40 before the win.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Just being realistic Taffin. I like Andy but I cant see him going too deep.....

Ooh err missus 😂

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Next round, he plays a qualifier - Japanese New Yorker, Taro Daniel who's late 20s but never gone past round 2 in a slam and never gone into the top 60 in world rankings. Proper journeyman who the 'old' Murray would expect to beat easily. It will be a good indicator of his prospects for going further.

If he gets past Daniel, the likely next opponent is Jannick Sinner who's one of the in-form young guys. He'd take some beating.

Grind them all down over 5 sets, double fault on a few match points and then pull out an outrageous lob to progress. Andy! Andy! Andy!

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Ooh err missus 😂

Grind them all down over 5 sets, double fault on a few match points and then pull out an outrageous lob to progress. Andy! Andy! Andy!

R (3).gif

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Leylah Fernandez knocked out. 👍

Thats a surprise.  Kerber out too 

I P Knightley

"Things you often wondered but never bothered to find out":

Women's tennis and the spare ball for the second serve. Is there a pocket inside the skirt or does it go up the leg of her drawers?

Neither option seems very comfortable to me. Pocket in the skirt would mean the ball bouncing off the thigh as she runs around; inside the pants, wouldn't it move around? Who knows what might happen in a long rally?

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Women's tennis and the spare ball for the second serve. Is there a pocket inside the skirt or does it go up the leg of her drawers?

Neither option seems very comfortable to me. Pocket in the skirt would mean the ball bouncing off the thigh as she runs around; inside the pants, wouldn't it move around? Who knows what might happen in a long rally?

Velcro isn't it?

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I think they put it to the hip  side of their knickers !

5 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Velcro isn't it?

That must just be for us plebs. :D They use an elastic thigh holder or an upside down stretchy pocket. 

It’s pretty inconsistent stuff from Stephens really . That’s s real

feature of the womens game just now 

I P Knightley

An observation about Raducanu in that long game and the long point during it. It highlights to me a problem with she has with her game and that the LTA has with its talent development.

She had two golden opportunities to absolutely kill the point, win the game and demoralise Stephens; both from mid-court positions. Her shot choices were really poor, gifting Stephens chances to whup her - the second of which she took.

Raducanu's strength is on the baseline and her coaches will have drilled into her the approach to get power and placement in her shots from within a couple of feet of the baseline. She doesn't appear to have any natural instinct to improvise when she's out of position.

I guess this comes back to earlier posts where folk were saying that she only won the US Open due to the relatively weak opposition she faced. This makes sense as some of the toppermost players would be treating her like a cat with a mouse.

An observation about Raducanu in that long game and the long point during it. It highlights to me a problem with she has with her game and that the LTA has with its talent development.

She had two golden opportunities to absolutely kill the point, win the game and demoralise Stephens; both from mid-court positions. Her shot choices were really poor, gifting Stephens chances to whup her - the second of which she took.

Raducanu's strength is on the baseline and her coaches will have drilled into her the approach to get power and placement in her shots from within a couple of feet of the baseline. She doesn't appear to have any natural instinct to improvise when she's out of position.

I guess this comes back to earlier posts where folk were saying that she only won the US Open due to the relatively weak opposition she faced. This makes sense as some of the toppermost players would be treating her like a cat with a mouse.

👍👍

I P Knightley
28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

There you go they stuff it to the side of their drawers 😂

I must try that some time :D

There can't be many tennis pants and dresses in my size but I know where Jo Durie plays & coaches so could pop down and ask her.

Jo_Durie_doubles_Wimbledon_2004.jpg

That could prove tricky for some when getting changed :biglaugh:

I was going to say they'd be aerodynamic but that's swimmers. :D