• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

All Canadian final. Hey Jamie, naebdie gies a feck that you're in the final, pal.

Your bitterness and tears are strangely comforting. Guaranteed British winner in men's doubles means GB success anyway.

1 hour ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

The lassie is a breath of fresh air after the dreary years of Bubbles Murray.

You're not wrong. It was always a challenge to get fully behind Murray with his on-court demeanour.

I was watching the Raducanu/Sakkari match and paid some attention to Raducanu's demeanour when she lost a point; particularly an unforced error. I think there were a couple of points where her face said, "FFS, man!!" but, in general, you'd find it hard to guess whether she'd coughed up an unforced error, been beaten by a 'worldy' or, even, won the point. There were a few points which she battled to win and let out a "Yass!!" but, in the main, she seemed to just bag the point and move on to the next one.

No signs of nerves or frustration when she was facing break points in the first couple of service games. She definitely wasn't spending time thinking about how to change her game plan - she just got on with it and tried again to do what she'd tried on the previous points and through the previous games.

The hype in the media is fully justified. Greg Rusedski and Annabel Knightley couldn't stop smiling and praising her after the match. Of course, all we need is the tabloids to get all over her case and ruin her. Daily Express already making an effort to have her deported:

E-y4k49X0AIVWIh?format=jpg&name=small

Fernandez seems to have a similar attitude (to Raducanu, not the Express), which should make for a barnstormer of a final. Real shame that she'll be playing without her family on-site to cheer her on. Mind you, I'm sure that Sakkari wasn't particularly helped by her mother sitting there last night with a face that said "holy shit, girl; wtf are you playing at?" all over it.

2 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Lol I know he was miserable As sin to watch . Really spoiled my viewing of his matches . 

Great achievement for her really . But in some ways more impressed with Fernandez who has taken a few massive scalps on her way to the final. 

The final will be tense and it’s hard to predict a winner but I would go with Fernandez .

I know people are going on about it’s incredible she’s 19 and got to a slam final . Monica Seles had won 8 slams by 19 ! 

Murray is/was a weird contradiction.  Very much a winner who could/can scrap it out.  But with a horrendous demeanour that would normally indicate a weak,  loser mentality.  

Raducanu looks like she's very strong headed.  

Malinga the Swinga

Who cares if Murray was/is intense when he plays. It's his personality and reflects that of a good number of his countrymen.

Radacanu seems cheerful and that suits her.

Be a nightmare if everyone was exactly the same. 

I had signed up to Amazon prime this week for the supposedly free month of viewing . I had watched a few matches this week and was geting all ready last night to watch the semis when it wouldn’t let me . B******* for some reason they seem to only allow u free access for a few days . They must have cottoned on everyone was doing it 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Great achievement for her really . But in some ways more impressed with Fernandez who has taken a few massive scalps on her way to the final. 

The final will be tense and it’s hard to predict a winner but I would go with Fernandez .

I know people are going on about it’s incredible she’s 19 and got to a slam final . Monica Seles had won 8 slams by 19 ! 

Your absolutely right. Radacanu should be held responsible for draw and her evasion of players she hasn't been drawn against.

Totally her fault Barty and others lost in earlier rounds. I mean beating Olympic champion doesn't count for anything.

I will go with Radacanu to win.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Your absolutely right. Radacanu should be held responsible for draw and her evasion of players she hasn't been drawn against.

Totally her fault Barty and others lost in earlier rounds. I mean beating Olympic champion doesn't count for anything.

Jesus you would argue about anything really . Fernandez bet Osaka , Kerber ,Svlotolina and Sabalenka . Now that’s an impressive run . It doesn’t mean I’m dissing Radacucu achievement merely stating that Fernandez has has the more impressive run . Calm doon 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Izzatso? You should've said earlier :D;) 

Back then, in the '80s and '90s women's tennis was largely dominated by teenagers. I can't put my finger on why but in more recent years, that has changed and the youngsters seem to have to serve their apprenticeship before making their charges into the top 16 or 8 when they're around 24 or so. So, if you've only been following women's tennis as long as Raducanu and Fernandez have been alive, it is remarkable. I think I read that the last all-teenager Slam final was between Serena and Hingis. If that's right, it's more than 20 years ago. The average age for wifies in the top 16 is nearly 27. For some context, the same average for the blokes is just over 25 - and that includes Nadal (35) and Federer (40), both of whom are heading off to the glue factory. Without them, the average of the other 14 is 23.4. It's a young man's game but a slightly older woman's game!

There's also some daft statistic that, counting this tournament, there will have been 10 different winners in the last 16 Grand Slam events. Back in the '80s and '90s, women's tennis was there to be dominated by very few people (Graf, then Seles, then Williams, then Williams). Whether the standard in general has got higher or those four were on a different planet is one of those questions we won't ever have an answer to. For me, though, women's tennis has become watchable again, probably (for the right reasons) since the days Steffi Graf.

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Izzatso? You should've said earlier :D;) 

Back then, in the '80s and '90s women's tennis was largely dominated by teenagers. I can't put my finger on why but in more recent years, that has changed and the youngsters seem to have to serve their apprenticeship before making their charges into the top 16 or 8 when they're around 24 or so. So, if you've only been following women's tennis as long as Raducanu and Fernandez have been alive, it is remarkable. I think I read that the last all-teenager Slam final was between Serena and Hingis. If that's right, it's more than 20 years ago. The average age for wifies in the top 16 is nearly 27. For some context, the same average for the blokes is just over 25 - and that includes Nadal (35) and Federer (40), both of whom are heading off to the glue factory. Without them, the average of the other 14 is 23.4. It's a young man's game but a slightly older woman's game!

There's also some daft statistic that, counting this tournament, there will have been 10 different winners in the last 16 Grand Slam events. Back in the '80s and '90s, women's tennis was there to be dominated by very few people (Graf, then Seles, then Williams, then Williams). Whether the standard in general has got higher or those four were on a different planet is one of those questions we won't ever have an answer to. For me, though, women's tennis has become watchable again, probably (for the right reasons) since the days Steffi Graf.

Martina and Chris were hardly teenagers in the 1980s . There have always been “ older women “ in the mix through the decades .  I really stopped watching the women’s game after Monica was stabbed really . I watched the odd match now and then but I’ve got back into it since around 2014 when Serena was going for that elusive 24th ( yes I know your views about her ) . The game certainly has some outstanding players now which Makes it more interesting . Steffi can do one ☝️ lol she dethroned Martina 

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

All that's happened is that Fernandez has proved herself against a higher level of opposition. That's nobody's fault but would make a gambling man slightly favour Fernandez over Raducanu.

I don't gamble but, if you twisted my arm, I would put a pound on Raducanu on the basis that (a) I'd probably get slightly better odds and (b ) Fernandez has spent over 5 hours more on court through the tournament than Raducanu.

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

All that's happened is that Fernandez has proved herself against a higher level of opposition. That's nobody's fault but would make a gambling man slightly favour Fernandez over Raducanu.

I don't gamble but, if you twisted my arm, I would put a pound on Raducanu on the basis that (a) I'd probably get slightly better odds and (b ) Fernandez has spent over 5 hours more on court through the tournament than Raducanu.

I think the odds for either player will be very tight 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Martina and Chris were hardly teenagers in the 1980s . There have always been “ older women “ in the mix through the decades .  I really stopped watching the women’s game after Monica was stabbed really . I watched the odd match now and then but I’ve got back into it since around 2014 when Serena was going for that elusive 24th ( yes I know your views about her ) . The game certainly has some outstanding players now which Makes it more interesting . Steffi can do one ☝️ lol she dethroned Martina 

True, but they were on their ways out - Chris Evert particularly; Navratilova was made of sterner stuff (leather, if you ask me - while Steffi was made of a smooth velvet... mmmm!!!)

I might have tuned in to Serena's attempts to get the 24th only to shout BOO! at the telly; although there's a conflict as her not getting it leaves Margaret Court wtih the record and she's at least as awful a human being as Serena. However, there was very little going on in the matches that attracted me while the men's tennis was so much more competitive.

Do you think women players have got quieter in the last few years? I'm conscious that I haven't heard the level of ridiculous shrieking that you used to hear from Sharapova and the other one (Azarenka?).

18 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Do you think women players have got quieter in the last few years? I'm conscious that I haven't heard the level of ridiculous shrieking that you used to hear from Sharapova and the other one (Azarenka?).

It still annoys me when I hear the ridiculous level of shrieking from some players, but it does appear to be less that do it than previously. Sabalenka, who thankfully Fernandez beat, is the worst I've noticed recently, she breaks the decibel meter after every shot.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/absolute-disgrace-aryna-sabalenka-s-shrieking-comes-under-fire-20180117-p4yyjv.html

Edit - added a link to an article about Sabalenka's shrieking

Edited by PortyJambo

46 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

True, but they were on their ways out - Chris Evert particularly; Navratilova was made of sterner stuff (leather, if you ask me - while Steffi was made of a smooth velvet... mmmm!!!)

I might have tuned in to Serena's attempts to get the 24th only to shout BOO! at the telly; although there's a conflict as her not getting it leaves Margaret Court wtih the record and she's at least as awful a human being as Serena. However, there was very little going on in the matches that attracted me while the men's tennis was so much more competitive.

I was never a fan of Steffi . She was similar to Murray . Miserable as sin really . She also agreed reluctantly to share the number one joint seeding when Seles came back from her stabbing . That was low . I think there is a massive difference between Court and Williams ! But we have already went there . Seles was the original grunter and it seems to have went quiet on that front ( pardon the pun) apart from Sabalenka who fairly roars 

Malinga the Swinga

Big fan on Serena, greatest female player ever imo, and of Graf but never took to Seles or Navratilova. Also liked Goolagong and Evert, but not Wade. Quite liked Annabelle Croft but didn't like Jo Durie.

There's a place for screaming and shrieking but it isn't on tennis court.

In men's, liked McEnroe but not Connors. Like Nastase, as player not person, but not so much Ashe. Preferred Lendl to Becker and Egberg and would rather Murray over Federer (too creepy), Nadal (drug cheat) and Djokovic (something dodgy about him).

I would say Djokovic best ever player though.

These days men's tennis is becoming stale and guys coming through won't dominate same way RF, NF and RN have done.

Fernandez is perhaps favourite though Sabalenka should have won the semi.

But Raducanu is fearless and playing with complete freedom. So I would not bet against her winning. 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Big fan on Serena, greatest female player ever imo, and of Graf but never took to Seles or Navratilova. Also liked Goolagong and Evert, but not Wade. Quite liked Annabelle Croft but didn't like Jo Durie.

In men's, liked McEnroe but not Connors. Like Nastase, as player not person, but not so much Ashe. Preferred Lendl to Becker and Egberg and would rather Murray over Federer (too creepy), Nadal (drug cheat) and Djokovic (something dodgy about him).

These days men's tennis is becoming stale and guys coming through won't dominate same way RF, NF and RN have done.

A thing I like about tennis is that you don't have to get too invested in any particular player. It's not like supporting a football club who you have to stick with come hell or high water. I went quite a few years without following any woman player at all (just having a few who a particularly didn't want to marry) and, in that era of Lendl, Becker & Edberg, I couldn't give a toss about any of them as they weren't doing for me what Connors, Borg and McEnroe had done before. I want to see rivalries so, although I started as a fan of Connors, I was glad that McEnroe came along, initially to boo at but I came to like him a lot.

I've said before that I was a huge fan of Federer when he was in his twenties (as he had/has the most majestic single-handed backhand you'll see - including Gasquet) but I was able to go off him without feeling the sort of disloyalty you'd feel if you decided to switch allegiance from the Hearts. Nadal, I've had a similar trajectory to what I had with McEnroe; initially didn't trust him but grew to really like him - and I don't believe he's a drug cheat. There definitely was something dodgy about Djokovic and his hyperbaric chamber but not outside the rules. While he and Murray were playing at a similar level, I didn't like him as I backed Murray; now, I hope that Djoko wins this tourney and a couple more slams - partly to see the forced smile on Federer's face when he's asked about it.

I don't think men's tennis is becoming stale, though. The level may not be quite as high as 3 or so years ago when the Big 3 were at it hammer and tongs but the lot who are coming through (Berretini, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Felix A-A, Shapovalov, Opelka, Medvedev and my man - for the time being - Alcaraz) look like they'll have a big old tussle, making it less predictable and, in my view, more interesting.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yes I’m a big fan of a Serena whom consider the best women’s tennis player , followed by Seles and Navratilova . Was never that keen on Evert as I’m not much of a fan of soft hitting players hence liking the three I mentioned . McEnroe was a delight to watch and a real character . I prefer Nadal out of the more recent breed . Can’t abide Federer . Although  I respect his effortless and classy playing style he does nowt for me . Novak is nuts and a character so I like him ! 

7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

A thing I like about tennis is that you don't have to get too invested in any particular player. It's not like supporting a football club who you have to stick with come hell or high water. I went quite a few years without following any woman player at all (just having a few who a particularly didn't want to marry) and, in that era of Lendl, Becker & Edberg, I couldn't give a toss about any of them as they weren't doing for me what Connors, Borg and McEnroe had done before. I want to see rivalries so, although I started as a fan of Connors, I was glad that McEnroe came along, initially to boo at but I came to like him a lot.

I've said before that I was a huge fan of Federer when he was in his twenties (as he had/has the most majestic single-handed backhand you'll see - including Gasquet) but I was able to go off him without feeling the sort of disloyalty you'd feel if you decided to switch allegiance from the Hearts. Nadal, I've had a similar trajectory to what I had with McEnroe; initially didn't trust him but grew to really like him - and I don't believe he's a drug cheat. There definitely was something dodgy about Djokovic and his hyperbaric chamber but not outside the rules. While he and Murray were playing at a similar level, I didn't like him as I backed Murray; now, I hope that Djoko wins this tourney and a couple more slams - partly to see the forced smile on Federer's face when he's asked about it.

I don't think men's tennis is becoming stale, though. The level may not be quite as high as 3 or so years ago when the Big 3 were at it hammer and tongs but the lot who are coming through (Berretini, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Felix A-A, Shapovalov, Opelka, Medvedev and my man - for the time being - Alcaraz) look like they'll have a big old tussle, making it less predictable and, in my view, more interesting.

👍👍

I was wracking my brains working out who the 4th person was . I got Wade , Barker and Emma . No googling ! Who was it? 

CF5D94C5-040D-42B3-91A0-4AA3DC75C241.jpeg

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I was wracking my brains working out who the 4th person was . I got Wade , Barker and Emma . No googling ! Who was it? 

CF5D94C5-040D-42B3-91A0-4AA3DC75C241.jpeg

Was Anne Jones British?

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes well done 👍 

Foe some reason, thought she might be Australian, bit think I'm getting confused with Margaret Court. Court is of course, simply a horrible person whose views are abhorrent.

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

But other Brit, Joe Salisbury won and he's in mixed final as well. 

Yes I know. It was for someone's attention. 😁

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Foe some reason, thought she might be Australian, bit think I'm getting confused with Margaret Court. Court is of course, simply a horrible person whose views are abhorrent.

No she was British . Before my time but apparently was a very fierce , all out attacking player. Also world champion table tennis player too! Yes Court has soiled her reputation with her really vicious homophobia really . Shame really as she was an outstanding player . Shame that Serena prob won’t best or at least equal Courts grand slam record 

11 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Dreary years of winning Opens and Davis Cup tournaments single-handedly. 👍

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

Dreary years of winning Opens and Davis Cup tournaments single-handedly. 👍

The results weren't dreary but the process could be utter torture..

The final's now on C4 tonight, for those who can't watch via Amazon. Suits me too, I've had the free trial Amazon to watch the games to date, but I'm visiting the in-laws tonight who don't have broadband so I would have been watching on my phone screen.

51 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

The final's now on C4 tonight, for those who can't watch via Amazon. Suits me too, I've had the free trial Amazon to watch the games to date, but I'm visiting the in-laws tonight who don't have broadband so I would have been watching on my phone screen.

Thank f@#k something worth watching Saturday night on telly bloody awful 

2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Cheers ! I thought a major channel would surely pick it up . Brilliant 

Dearie me there’s various comments on social media questioning if she is a “ true Brit “ ! Well if she wins she will , if she loses she’s Canadian I guess 😂😎

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Typical. 

The gutter press etc will be digging deep like the shitehawks they are.

I reckon Emma is squeaky clean and hopefully she wins tonight.

Seems like a bright, intelligent young lady and good luck to her.

It’s more the comments section from the gammon types ! 😂 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, CJGJ said:

What about the 'punter' who placed £200 at 150/1 on her just after the first match in the tournament

Cash out ?

What's the offer? £30k if she wins so cashout would need to be £20k minimum to accept.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What's the offer? £30k if she wins so cashout would need to be £20k minimum to accept.

I think I’ll place a bet the night I hardly ever gamble but I will tonight 

11 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Is this British lassie worth putting a couple of pounds on?  

Just starting on channel 4. 

It’s fairly even betting . However there is a wee element of people forgetting how good Fernandez is as well . She’s taken some top scalps on her run and is effortless like Rad . It’s a hard  one to call  I would say although Martina has just said that Emma should win in straight sets !!’ ( maybe dementia setting in ) 😎

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )