Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Can't see anybody stopping Djokovic 

The woman's singles is up for grabs though. Maybe Barty can fulfill her potential on grass

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't see anybody stopping Djokovic 

The woman's singles is up for grabs though. Maybe Barty can fulfill her potential on grass

Yes I think you may be right about Djokovic . Really lost interest in the women’s game now really . It’s became very bland with no really outstanding rivalries like previous , therefore haven’t a clue who will win it or is  favourite . I’d love Serena to win title number 24 but I’d be amazed if she did , far too sluggish now I’m afraid . 

I P Knightley

It's hard to see past Djokovic for this one. Berretini is possibly the strongest contender within the top seeds, having shown that he has a strong game for grass at Queen's, albeit without facing a really tough challenge along the way. Medvedev should have enough to make a charge but is possibly still a bit too erratic for a grass court tourney.

Ash Barty had a decent start to the season but she's carrying an injury. Beyond that, I don't know too much about the women's draw.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Still gutted Ivan Lendl never won it. :oldsad:

I could never warm to him and wanted him not to win it, even though I wasn't all that keen on Becker, Edberg or Cash who were the ones that beat him in finals and semis.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Still gutted Ivan Lendl never won it. :oldsad:

Yes me too . I liked him . 

JudyJudyJudy
52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Djokovic and Serena

👍Anyone bar Fed  really . There is a chance Serena might do it but she would need to be at her best , no farting about with serving . Needs to be first serves all the way 

Edited by JamesM48

Maroon Sailor
46 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I could never warm to him and wanted him not to win it, even though I wasn't all that keen on Becker, Edberg or Cash who were the ones that beat him in finals and semis.

Didn't mind Lendl

McEnroe was the one I couldn't stand - spoilt brat, but once he won it in 81 I didn't mind him so much.

He wanted that trophy more than any other and to come back from the loss to Borg in 1980 (epic tie-break) showed a strength of character 

25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍Anyone bar Fed  really . There is a chance Serena might do it but she would need to be at her best , no farting about with serving . Needs to be first serves all the way 

Federer's way past his best now. Semi Finals at best. As you say, if Serena is on her game she can win it. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Federer's way past his best now. Semi Finals at best. As you say, if Serena is on her game she can win it. 

Agree 👍 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Didn't mind Lendl

McEnroe was the one I couldn't stand - spoilt brat, but once he won it in 81 I didn't mind him so much.

He wanted that trophy more than any other and to come back from the loss to Borg in 1980 (epic tie-break) showed a strength of character 

I loved Mcenroes serve and volley style of play . It was beautiful to watch . Outstanding player marred by his moody demeanour on the court . Actually is a decent guy off court 

Ron Burgundy
41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Didn't mind Lendl

Proper tennis. Now it's basically who has the best serve.

13 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Urgh @ the Lendl love. Horrible player. The first tennis robot. 😁

That honour probably  goes to Roscoe Tanner. 

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Obv Djokovic will win this game but this Draper lad isn't bad, never heard of him before tbh. 

His dad, Roger, used to be the CEO of the Lawn Tennis Association. About as incompetent in his role as Matt Handcock was in his.

Jack went to the same school as Tim Henman - a big tennis school in Surrey - where deluded tennis parents pay a fortune to send their kids with very few ever making it anywhere near the big stage.

That said, he's definitely got some ability and could have a career as good as Mark Petchey's if he keeps his head down.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

His dad, Roger, used to be the CEO of the Lawn Tennis Association. About as incompetent in his role as Matt Handcock was in his.

Jack went to the same school as Tim Henman - a big tennis school in Surrey - where deluded tennis parents pay a fortune to send their kids with very few ever making it anywhere near the big stage.

That said, he's definitely got some ability and could have a career as good as Mark Petchey's if he keeps his head down.

:lol: if anything he can say he once won a set v Novak at Wimbledon. 

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:lol: if anything he can say he once won a set v Novak at Wimbledon. 

That's all but guaranteed him a career in commentary. Barry Cowan will be looking over his shoulder.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hope Draper can pull himself together

Arf!!

I just stole that and had it read out on Wimbledon radio :D

Edited by I P Knightley

32 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

🤣  cruel

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Arf!!

I just stole that and had it read out on Wimbledon radio :D

Ended up being curtains for him

26 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Tsitsipas the number 3 seed looks like he will be heading home early. 

And gone, out in straight sets.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

That honour probably  goes to Roscoe Tanner. 

Oh Lord i recall him slightly boring 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Yes nepotism alive and well in the elitist sport of tennis . Yes very true they all seem to end up in the commentary box when they have achieved deck in tennis 

That's all but guaranteed him a career in commentary. Barry Cowan will be looking over his shoulder.

Bring back Dan Maskell 

38 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ended up being curtains for him

Yes looked like a couple of mad men playing really 

JudyJudyJudy

Stephens v Kvitova should really be a later round match   . Surprised Stephen’s seems to be coasting it 

rudi must stay

Very impressed with Draper. Good attitude and a player who plays a good all round game of tennis, yes he has no weapons but he knows his game and his strengths and weaknesses. Happy to support him and Norrie, who is not dissimilar in style to Draper, unlike Edmund and Evans, who for different reasons I can't take to 

I P Knightley
56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Tsitsipas the number 3 seed looks like he will be heading home early. 

The French Open took a lot out of him mentally as well as physically. I believe that his grandfather died in the last couple of weeks as well. He'll be back and a force at Flushing Meadows.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, I P Knightley said:

The French Open took a lot out of him mentally as well as physically. I believe that his grandfather died in the last couple of weeks as well. He'll be back and a force at Flushing Meadows.

Yes never been that good on grAss really . Not that much of an upset as the other player has had some noteable wins 

Murray on Centre at 6.  There might not be all that many more for him.  Hopefully at least produce one more win.  

Didn't know that. Sheds a bit of light on his performance. 

JudyJudyJudy

Oh dear is Murray gonna Hibs it ? It’s unlikely but you never know 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
52 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The only reason I watch ladies tennis is so that I can gawp up their skirts and check out their chebbs.

There is no other reason. 

A86B4022-7790-4AEB-A35B-83FBFB003FBC.gif

I P Knightley

2 sets and 5-0 up and he's now battling to stay in the third set. 

This could be the biggest hibsing it outside of Hampden.

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If he loses this set he is friar tucked. 

It really looked like Basilashvili was tanking in the 4th and 5th games. 

There's no energy from Murray 

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The only reason I watch ladies tennis is so that I can gawp up their skirts and check out their chebbs.

There is no other reason. 

Mind u even I’ve noticed Serenas big knockers !! I mean her hard hitting  ground stokes 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, I P Knightley said:

It really looked like Basilashvili was tanking in the 4th and 5th games. 

There's no energy from Murray 

Is here never is . He has a terribly dull listless on court demeanour . I have tried to warm to him but he just doesn’t do it for me . Hate his sullen victim type mentality on court where’s off court he’s a decent human being 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Mind u even I’ve noticed Serenas big knockers !! I mean her hard hitting  ground stokes 

Simona Halep used to have her knockers. 

(I believe that day 1 of Wimbledon is the earliest I've used that line. )

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Simona Halep used to have her knockers. 

(I believe that day 1 of Wimbledon is the earliest I've used that line. )

😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm amazed she can swing the racket without whacking the paps. 

😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

She had to get them howked off to keep her career going. 

Apparently she had back problems.

One of my friends had to get that done too . They were causing back issues too 

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )