Solar Panels

milky_26

Does anyone have solar panels on their house? if so is there a significant reduction in your electricity bills? any pros/cons of them?

i am thinking about getting them fitted to my house just wanting opinions from people who have them before i look into it more seriously

28 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Does anyone have solar panels on their house? if so is there a significant reduction in your electricity bills? any pros/cons of them?

i am thinking about getting them fitted to my house just wanting opinions from people who have them before i look into it more seriously

I put 4kw on a house in Cockburnspath with a south facing  roof pitch.What I get is a full tank of hot water 365 days a year and about a thirty pounds month saving on the electricity bill and a few quid a month back for export.

It was all done with an interest free loan from Home Energy Scotland.

However,I don't think there is ANY support for this now.

luckyBatistuta

Moved into my house 5 months ago and inherited the solar panels. We recently received our first check for our feed in tariff for January to the end of March of £630. That will be the tariff that the couple who previously owned the house will have signed up to in 2012 🤷‍♂️. Im happy with them though. Just make sure that you seal off the outer edges of them, as we have jackdaws nesting under ours.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Moved into my house 5 months ago and inherited the solar panels. We recently received our first check for our feed in tariff for January to the end of March of £630. That will be the tariff that the couple who previously owned the house will have signed up to in 2012 🤷‍♂️. Im happy with them though. Just make sure that you seal off the outer edges of them, as we have jackdaws nesting under ours.

You're on the good rate. You would get a pittance in comparison if the deal was done today. 

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You're on the good rate. You would get a pittance in comparison if the deal was done today. 

Kind of thought that, not really sure about the whole set up of them. Just happy if they keep sending me cheques😁

What’s the rate now, depends on how many panels as well I suppose?

Think all new homes are now built with these on? 

From what I understand you are talking a good 10- 15 years or so before you start making money on the investment. Things may have changes since then though.

18 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Kind of thought that, not really sure about the whole set up of them. Just happy if they keep sending me cheques😁

What’s the rate now, depends on how many panels as well I suppose?

I'm sure they pay by the kilowatt so the more panels the better. The rate they pay was drastically cut a few years ago though and its made an installation far from the no brainer that it used to be. Previously agreed contacts obviously weren't effected

Konrad von Carstein

You would think given the drive for green-ness that this would be an area where the UK and Scot Gov's would be flinging money at people?

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Pretty sure the Spanish government banned folk from installing them for a while. Undoubtedly due to pressure from the energy suppliers.

Which, given global warming et al, was/is phunking ridiculous....especially in the Med region...

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at getting them, but also with the battery storage option. Main reason isn't to make money from the feed in, but rather saving money from not using from the grid, as electricity prices are only ever going to go up. 

2 hours ago, belly said:

I'm looking at getting them, but also with the battery storage option. Main reason isn't to make money from the feed in, but rather saving money from not using from the grid, as electricity prices are only ever going to go up. 

Until the cost of the panels and install comes down you’ll be some years away from making a saving. If you have no intention of moving for the next 20 years go for it. If not forget it unless the cost is irrelevant and you are doing it from an environmental point of view. 

Edited by Dazo

39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Do you still get a decent charge to the panels in the winter sun.

yes, in fact they should work better in the winter as they will be more efficient (granted not by that much) due to the colder temperatures. the only potential issue in the winter would be if there is a heavy snowfall and the snow covered them they wont work (or will produce a significantly less amount of power)

14 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yes, in fact they should work better in the winter as they will be more efficient (granted not by that much) due to the colder temperatures. the only potential issue in the winter would be if there is a heavy snowfall and the snow covered them they wont work (or will produce a significantly less amount of power)

👍, could work for me as my roof faces south, would get the sun all day.

Unfortunately, my roof shape doesn't  give any scope to go with them. Looked into it about 10 years ago.

Edited by Tommy Brown

On 26/06/2021 at 15:25, jb102 said:

I put 4kw on a house in Cockburnspath with a south facing  roof pitch.What I get is a full tank of hot water 365 days a year and about a thirty pounds month saving on the electricity bill and a few quid a month back for export.

It was all done with an interest free loan from Home Energy Scotland.

However,I don't think there is ANY support for this now.

With the hot water - how have you done that? Assuming part of your array has a solar water heater? 

20 hours ago, Dazo said:

Until the cost of the panels and install comes down you’ll be some years away from making a saving. If you have no intention of moving for the next 20 years go for it. If not forget it unless the cost is irrelevant and you are doing it from an environmental point of view. 

Not when I am paying £200+ for gas and electric per month, my reckoning is they will have payed for themselves in less than 5 years.

2 hours ago, belly said:

Not when I am paying £200+ for gas and electric per month, my reckoning is they will have payed for themselves in less than 5 years.

No chance. You won’t be replacing that £200 a month with solar panels. You’ll make a saving but you’ll still have bills plus the outlay for the panels. 

2 hours ago, belly said:

£200+ every month 😱

Thank god I stay on my own 

4 hours ago, belly said:

A ha, either cannabis cultivation in the loft or your neeburs tapped into your supply...f/me £200...:biggrin:

I looked into the Tesla powerwall storage and solar panels....rough estimate [without a proper survey] was 13k

that's a big outlay, not sure how long it would take for that to pay for itself...

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

No chance. You won’t be replacing that £200 a month with solar panels. You’ll make a saving but you’ll still have bills plus the outlay for the panels. 

£200 a month?!

Cannabis farm in attic?😎

On 16/09/2021 at 16:56, Mysterion said:

With the hot water - how have you done that? Assuming part of your array has a solar water heater? 

It’s all photo voltaic with a diverter sending electricity to the hot water until it reaches 65degrees. 
Then all generation is used elsewhere in the house. If there is no domestic demand then it is exported. 

17 hours ago, jb102 said:

It’s all photo voltaic with a diverter sending electricity to the hot water until it reaches 65degrees. 
Then all generation is used elsewhere in the house. If there is no domestic demand then it is exported. 

Thanks - last question (probably a bit obvious) - so this must then link to an immersion coil in the hot water tank ? 

7 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Thanks - last question (probably a bit obvious) - so this must then link to an immersion coil in the hot water tank ? 

2 immersion coils. Top and bottom. 
the hardware is by a company called Solaredge and run by an app called myenergi. 

On 17/09/2021 at 08:30, OBE said:

A ha, either cannabis cultivation in the loft or your neeburs tapped into your supply...f/me £200...:biggrin:

Have a hottub which is on 24/7.

On 16/09/2021 at 15:19, Tommy Brown said:

Unfortunately, my roof shape doesn't  give any scope to go with them. Looked into it about 10 years ago.

Garden?