Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Broxburn lost on penalties according to the Beeb.

I didn't half jump the gun there ☹️

Against 9 bloody tuechters

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst

I was at Dunbar v Alloa today and felt that Dunbar played well enough to take the game to ET, if not win it in the 90 mins.  They could have been 3-0 up before Alloa got their equaliser. A couple of great chances were also spurned in the second half. One of them by ex Hearts youngster Michael Barfoot, who otherwise put in an outstanding performance.

The Mighty Thor
40 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A couple of great chances were also spurned in the second half. One of them by ex Hearts youngster Michael Barfoot, who otherwise put in an outstanding performance.

He tried to burst it instead of the side foot, however he's got an unreal range of passing and a shot like a cannon.

The early chance for Taylor Hendry was a big one.

Great crowd in today of 1007 with a pretty raucous home support. 

Proud of the boys today as they gave it everything. 

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Only 1 red card from everything I've seen

Hmm..

They showed a red on 45+1 throughout the game. Sure it was Murray.

Looking at the Live Text though, nothing to suggest the player was involved in anything.

• 4 weeks later...
Footballfirst

Following on from the B Team vote. Cowdenbeath sent an email to the ST holders and other fans group explaining why they voted in favour having previously voted against (primarily money from playing additional games).  The email also covered other LL matters, a couple of which I will cover below.

The LL approached the SFA for permission to expand the LL to 18 clubs, on the basis of offering more games and facilitating more ventilation.  The SFA declined the request, limiting the LL to 16 clubs. That is at odds with the fact the the HL (also at tier 5) has 18 clubs.  The cynic in me believes that it was also tuned down in order to make it more likely for LL clubs to accommodate the B teams to provide those additional games.

The other issue with which I wasn't fully conversant was one about the SPFL now requiring all clubs to have a "bronze licence", rather than the previous "entry licence". I was aware of that change and that a few existing SPFL clubs still only had entry licences, but had been given dispensation (more time) to get to the right level.  However, the Cowdenbeath email suggests that there will be no HL/LL/SPFL play offs at the end of the season if the champion clubs don't have a bronze licence.  I don't know if that will be the case, or whether the SFA/SPFL will give the champion clubs dispensation for a year or two. If not, then Cumbernauld Costs is the only tier 5 club currently with a bronze licence. That may change by the end of the season, but should be flagged up.

Footballfirst
44 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Interesting @Footballfirst

What is extra in the bronze licence that can prevent teams gaining promotion?

I can't recall everything off the top of my head, but I think there is a requirement for brighter floodlights and something about having a doctor at every game. Slopes on pitches are also restricted which was an issue for Bonnyrigg.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I can't recall everything off the top of my head, but I think there is a requirement for brighter floodlights and something about having a doctor at every game. Slopes on pitches are also restricted which was an issue for Bonnyrigg.

Thanks

Do Brechin have bronze?

8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Following on from the B Team vote. Cowdenbeath sent an email to the ST holders and other fans group explaining why they voted in favour having previously voted against (primarily money from playing additional games).  The email also covered other LL matters, a couple of which I will cover below.

The LL approached the SFA for permission to expand the LL to 18 clubs, on the basis of offering more games and facilitating more ventilation.  The SFA declined the request, limiting the LL to 16 clubs. That is at odds with the fact the the HL (also at tier 5) has 18 clubs.  The cynic in me believes that it was also tuned down in order to make it more likely for LL clubs to accommodate the B teams to provide those additional games.

The other issue with which I wasn't fully conversant was one about the SPFL now requiring all clubs to have a "bronze licence", rather than the previous "entry licence". I was aware of that change and that a few existing SPFL clubs still only had entry licences, but had been given dispensation (more time) to get to the right level.  However, the Cowdenbeath email suggests that there will be no HL/LL/SPFL play offs at the end of the season if the champion clubs don't have a bronze licence.  I don't know if that will be the case, or whether the SFA/SPFL will give the champion clubs dispensation for a year or two. If not, then Cumbernauld Costs is the only tier 5 club currently with a bronze licence. That may change by the end of the season, but should be flagged up.

I was really enthusiastic about the pyramid and the pathway for clubs , but with each passing season the rabid self preservation of the lower league SPFL clubs and their LL counterparts suck a little more hope and enthusiasm out of me 

Edited by Sooks

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Not at the last assessment.

Here's the latest licensing list, just published a few days ago. Airdrie, Cove, Edinburgh City, Kelty and Peterhead are still at "entry" level. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11249/151223-club-licensing-awards.pdf

Here is the extract from the Cowdenbeath email about licensing.

It should also be fully understood that the SPFL recently changed its rules. Any club going into the Pyramid play-off games from the Highland and Lowland Leagues will need to have an SFA bronze license. That applies at the end of this season. The only way a Highland or Lowland League club can compete in the end of season play offs in May 2024 is for it to be Bronze licensed. Just one team out of the 34 clubs in the Lowland and Highland Leagues currently has a Bronze licence (Cumbernauld Colts).

29 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's the latest licensing list, just published a few days ago. Airdrie, Cove, Edinburgh City, Kelty and Peterhead are still at "entry" level. 

It should also be fully understood that the SPFL recently changed its rules. Any club going into the Pyramid play-off games from the Highland and Lowland Leagues will need to have an SFA bronze license. That applies at the end of this season. The only way a Highland or Lowland League club can compete in the end of season play offs in May 2024 is for it to be Bronze licensed. Just one team out of the 34 clubs in the Lowland and Highland Leagues currently has a Bronze licence (Cumbernauld Colts).

Sounds almost like a closed shop. 🥸

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sounds almost like a closed shop. 🥸

Quite . A closed shop at the bottom of the SPFL . A closed shop at the bottom of the Lowland League . Only in Scotttish Football could we take things that work really well elsewhere and *******ise the living **** out of it until it is just a pile of self serving shite . See also small top division and split ; and variation of play offs

When this new rule first came out I saw an online debate. Pie and Bovril on Twitter I think. Iain McMenemy the Stenhousemuir chairman came in and said its about raising standards nor excluding anyone. He said he expects entry level to continue and no club to be prevented being promoted from Highland or Lowland Leagues.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

That list raises some questions, not least how Hearts are rated as “Silver” under ground, first team and overall, whereas Hibs are rated “Gold” under all headings? What determines the ‘first team’ rating?  Why is it necessary for two clubs (guess who!!) to have an overall “platinum” rating even though the sub-ratings run only up to Gold. How do Stirling Albion have a bronze ground rating while Stirling Uni, who use their ground, have only an entry level ground rating? And so on …….

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

That list raises some questions, not least how Hearts are rated as “Silver” under ground, first team and overall, whereas Hibs are rated “Gold” under all headings? What determines the ‘first team’ rating?  Why is it necessary for two clubs (guess who!!) to have an overall “platinum” rating even though the sub-ratings run only up to Gold. How do Stirling Albion have a bronze ground rating while Stirling Uni, who use their ground, have only an entry level ground rating? And so on …….

Hearts can't get any better than silver for the ground because of Tynecastle's dimensions. You need 105m x 68m for gold.

It may be that University of Stirling don't provide the same medical and first aid facilities on match days that Stirling Albion does.

Here's the latest version of the Licensing manual. (108 pages)

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11172/sfa-club-licensing-manual-2024.pdf

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts can't get any better than silver for the ground because of Tynecastle's dimensions. You need 105m x 68m for gold.

It may be that University of Stirling don't provide the same medical and first aid facilities on match days that Stirling Albion does.

Highest UEFA rating but the SFA mark us down for pitch dimensions :rofl: 

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks FF. 

l’m not sure it would make sense to deny an HL or LL  club the chance to move up if it was due to something that  could be easily adjusted. Presumably Forthbank has any physical requirements (eg first aid room). You would thing that medical provision at the game would be determined by the league level a club is actually playing in and should not be a bar to moving up, assuming the club concerned is ready to commit to the higher provision if it is promoted. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

When this new rule first came out I saw an online debate. Pie and Bovril on Twitter I think. Iain McMenemy the Stenhousemuir chairman came in and said its about raising standards nor excluding anyone. He said he expects entry level to continue and no club to be prevented being promoted from Highland or Lowland Leagues.

McMenemy is the one that has been pushing for this in order to make the SPFL more of a closed shop again, and save his shitty wee club.  The guy is a charlatan and is no friend of the Pyramid.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

McMenemy is the one that has been pushing for this in order to make the SPFL more of a closed shop again, and save his shitty wee club.  The guy is a charlatan and is no friend of the Pyramid.

Probably still terrified of the inevitable future for his club after Penicuik pumped them in the Scottish Cup a few years ago and gave him an insight in to what the future holds 

21 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

To be fair, they are top of league 2.  😎

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Probably still terrified of the inevitable future for his club after Penicuik pumped them in the Scottish Cup a few years ago and gave him an insight in to what the future holds 

Top of League 2 just now

You can just picture the complete 180s performed by the blazers at these clubs eh ? While they are in League 2 they will be absolutely resolutely against opening up the bottom of the SPFL and will make relegation as difficult as possible . Then once they are eventually relegated to the LL or HL they will be steadfastly for opening up more promotion opportunities 😄

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Top of League 2 just now

And that is how they should be thinking . The best thing for everyone is to make it easier to move down AND up between the SPFL and the pyramid and the different levels of the pyramid too . By doing that they will have a better chance of making it back up again if they are relegated instead of being locked out 

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

His tweets are a mess as well, someone challenging him on the play offs and him trying to be a smart arse.  He got what he wanted, as did the rest of the L2 deadwood. As it stands there probably won't be any chance of promotion to L2 unless the top clubs in HL and LL get a bronze licence in the next 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

Couple of surprise Lowland results today

Tranent losing 1-0 to Berwick and strollers trouncing Gala 7-0.

Footballfirst
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Couple of surprise Lowland results today

Tranent losing 1-0 to Berwick and strollers trouncing Gala 7-0.

That was an opportunity missed for Tranent as East Kilbride could only draw 0-0 at home to Caledonian Braves.

Mikey1874

First look at East Premier Division table toppers Broxburn tonight. Beat Hutchison Vale 2-1 at Ainslie Park to go 12 points ahead of 3rd place Jeanfield Swifts who have 3 games in hand.

I wasn't greatly impressed with them apart from a couple of key players (midfield dynamo Lewis Turner and centre forward Errol Douglas) though I think they were solid. Hutchison Vale played okay losing 2 bad goals to a penalty and free kick from half way that keeper misjudged. Broxburn just held on against strong late pressure. Good away support so might enhance the Lowland League. 

• 4 weeks later...
Footballfirst

EoS first division club Rosyth folds with immediate effect. I think they have been shafted by the supermarket that bought their old Recreation Park ground. They subsequently moved to their temporary home at the Fleet Grounds and work was in progress to create a new facility at Pitreavie.

Edited by Footballfirst

Mikey1874

East Kilbride came from 2-0 down at half time to beat Tranent 3-2.

13 points ahead at top of table and 17 points ahead of Tranent who have 2 games in hand. 

Footballfirst
49 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

East Kilbride came from 2-0 down at half time to beat Tranent 3-2.

13 points ahead at top of table and 17 points ahead of Tranent who have 2 games in hand. 

I'm just back from the game. The first half was pretty even, but Tranent took the chances that came their way. EK manager Mick Kennedy was shown a red card after protesting about Tranent's first goal (TBF the lino had put his flag up then put it down).

In the second half EK tried to push forward as Tranent were content to hit on the break. 

EK looked like they were running out of ideas and I heard Mick Kennedy still moaning from outside the dressing rooms, shouting at his players to keep the ****ing ball.

A minute later they got a goal back and the momentum changed. EK somehow managed to turn a lost cause into the unlikeliest victory in the last 12 minutes.

Fair play to EK for the turnaround.

Hearts B's next two games: Tranent away and EK at home.

Celtic have now had their game V Tranent at Foresters Park cancelled for the 3rd time ,this time due to "International Duty" why are the Lowland League allowing this?

Posted similar in Hearts B thread,sorry.

Edited by ehcaley

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, ehcaley said:

Celtic have now had their game V Tranent at Foresters Park cancelled for the 3rd time ,this time due to "International Duty" why are the Lowland League allowing this?

Posted similar in Hearts B thread,sorry.

Where are you getting this information? I haven't seen it posted elsewhere. The fixture is still listed on the SPFL website for 23 March.

Scotland U19s have UEFA games on 20, 23, and 26 March.

Edited by Footballfirst

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Where are you getting this information? I haven't seen it posted elsewhere. The fixture is still listed on the SPFL website for 23 March.

Scotland U19s have UEFA games on 20, 23, and 26 March.

Tranent Supporters FB page,spoke to Tranent bagman earlier who confirmed Tranent weren't given any say(again)

Not sure if I had seen any info on Winter Breaks and International Duty being reasons for cancelling games when B teams were admitted.

Edited by ehcaley

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, ehcaley said:

Tranent Supporters page,spoke to Tranent bagman earlier who confirmed Tranent were given any say(again)

Not sure if I had seen any info on Winter Breaks and International Duty being reasons for cancelling games when B teams were admitted.

Thanks.  Celtic and Hearts each had 3 players with the Scotland U19 squad who played two games in Croatia last week, the second of them on Friday. Both sides still managed to field sides in the LL on Saturday, and won (Hearts actually beat Tranent at Forester's Park), so there is no consistency.

You might have thought that Celtic would be keen to give a "development opportunity" to some of their better U18s against Tranent.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Thanks.  Celtic and Hearts each had 3 players with the Scotland U19 squad who played two games in Croatia last week, the second of them on Friday. Both sides still managed to field sides in the LL on Saturday, and won (Hearts actually beat Tranent at Forester's Park), so there is no consistency.

You might have thought that Celtic would be keen to give a "development opportunity" to some of their better U18s against Tranent.

Exactly,third time this fixture has been cancelled at Celtics request and Tranent simply being informed with no say in the matter

John Findlay

Personally think Celtic should be told they have forfeited the game and Tranent awarded the 3pts. 

It will cause a stink but might, just might make Celtic think about asking for postponements in the future.

• 1 month later...
The Mighty Thor

Decent card of the real football on this afternoon 👍

I'm heading to Denny for Dunipace v Dunbar Utd in the EoS qualifying cup semis. Big game for the seasiders 😎

Musselburgh & Haddington both at home in league action for anyone at a loose end 

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Decent card of the real football on this afternoon 👍

I'm heading to Denny for Dunipace v Dunbar Utd in the EoS qualifying cup semis. Big game for the seasiders 😎

Musselburgh & Haddington both at home in league action for anyone at a loose end 

1-0 win for Mussy sees them move clear of Jeanfield AND close the gap on Broxburn to 9 points with a game in hand too. Wishful thinking but Mussy could still be in the title race. :ninja: 

1 hour ago, Rick James said:

1-0 win for Mussy sees them move clear of Jeanfield AND close the gap on Broxburn to 9 points with a game in hand too. Wishful thinking but Mussy could still be in the title race. :ninja: 

Poor result for Broxburn today, losing at home to Inverkeithing, 2-1.

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Poor result for Broxburn today, losing at home to Inverkeithing, 2-1.

That was a cup semi Tommy. 

Mussy are very much in the title race.  

East Kilbride beat Broomhill 6-1 this afternoon.

Just need 1 point from their 4 remaining games to win the Lowland League and enter the SPFL play offs. 

Brechin currently leading Highland League by 3 points from Fraserburgh  and 4 from Banks of Dee with 2 games in game. 6 games to go plus Brechin's extra 2. 

RustyRightPeg

Calum Elliott has left Cowdenbeath and taken the Bonnyrigg job after they poorly sacked Robbie Horn in the tunnel after the defeat on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Calum Elliott has left Cowdenbeath and taken the Bonnyrigg job after they poorly sacked Robbie Horn in the tunnel after the defeat on Saturday.

When did they get a tunnel at Bonnyrigg? 😎

RustyRightPeg
20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When did they get a tunnel at Bonnyrigg? 😎

Your wit has outdone you this time Mr M, they were away to Dumbarton! 😆

34 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Your wit has outdone you this time Mr M, they were away to Dumbarton! 😆

Damn!!  😄