Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Footballfirst
38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I thought the Bonnyrigg game was off today but they drew 2-2 with Spartans. 

I was there (as was Gary Locke).  Bonnyrigg blew it in the last 15 minutes, having been comfortable up to that point. They paid the price for not pushing for a third after going 2-0 up after 23 minutes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Spartans score all 4 and only get a draw 🙂

image.thumb.png.777832f29375fd42612ca7033bfc6311.png

Just now, RobboM said:

Brechin lose again in the Highland League.

Formartine Utd 1-0 Brechin City

Brilliant love to see teams like them and Berwick , East Stirling and hopefully Cowdenbeath struggling in the lowland and highland leagues and more teams come up who have got better support and ambition.

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Spartans score all 4 and only get a draw 🙂

image.thumb.png.777832f29375fd42612ca7033bfc6311.png

The first goal wasn't a Carswell o.g. He had made a good save, but the follow up shot was turned into his own net by a defender attempting to clear the ball.

The Bonnyrigg keeper wasn't too clever for Spartans equaliser.

It was good to see Jonny Brown (ex Hearts) back playing for Bonnyrigg after 15 months out. He had "retired" due to the injury at one point. 

Edited by Footballfirst

12 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Brilliant love to see teams like them and Berwick , East Stirling and hopefully Cowdenbeath struggling in the lowland and highland leagues and more teams come up who have got better support and ambition.

Brechin deserved all they got. East Stirling and Cowdenbeath were/are stagnant but I felt a bit sorry for Berwick. I developed a bit of a soft spot for them in the last few years though when my Mum had the caravan down there so maybe being a little biased.

Hungry hippo

IMG_20220108_183809.jpg

I noticed either Spartans or Bonnyrigg complaining on twitter to the BBC that they were showing the game as being postponed in error.

Fozzyonthefence
48 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

The problem is when teams like them go down they just get replaced by equally tin pot clubs (ICT and Ross County being the exceptions but after they came up there were no other decent sized clubs waiting to make the step up).

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The problem is when teams like them go down they just get replaced by equally tin pot clubs (ICT and Ross County being the exceptions but after they came up there were no other decent sized clubs waiting to make the step up).

Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts are doing alright

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I'd definitely say a few of the ex-junior clubs (e.g. Auchinleck, Pollok, Clydebank, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow etc.) could bring a better support  than some of the existing SPFL clubs.

38 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

I'd definitely say a few of the ex-junior clubs (e.g. Auchinleck, Pollok, Clydebank, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow etc.) could bring a better support  than some of the existing SPFL clubs.

100% this there is about 3 clubs in Ayrshire who will get bigger supports than some League one clubs possibly championship clubs. Linlithgow Bo’ness Bonnyrigg already get good supports Camelon out in Falkirk too. 

Kelty and Cove have showing more ambition in their short time in the SPFL than league 1 and 2 clubs have showing in decades. I did think Edinburgh City would of had a promotion to league 1 by now, hopefully it happens this year.

I really think Cowdenbeath dropping out they will be down there for year or eventually go bust. 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts are doing alright

I can see them both reaching the championship and Queens Park joining them in the next couple of seasons, I think Kelty might come up the leagues like Livi and Gretna done. 

Their is a guy at my work son played for Dunfermline and Stenhousemuir on trial at Kelty now. I said I was impressed how the club is ran, It’s like night and day compared to Cowdenbeath and they are minutes down the road, Gordon said it shows what drug money can buy you 😂 said there is a lot going on at Kelty behind the scenes. 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not quite the advantage Bonnyrigg have, but looking good just now for Fraserburgh for play offs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/highland-league/table

Rangers B have certainly made up a lot of ground on Rose, but with only 33 points at stake with 11 just to catch, I think (hope) that Bonnyrigg have enough. 

What's the script if Rangers B top the league? Do 2nd get the play-off spot or do Fraserburgh just get a bye to the final?

55 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I can see them both reaching the championship and Queens Park joining them in the next couple of seasons, I think Kelty might come up the leagues like Livi and Gretna done. 

Their is a guy at my work son played for Dunfermline and Stenhousemuir on trial at Kelty now. I said I was impressed how the club is ran, It’s like night and day compared to Cowdenbeath and they are minutes down the road, Gordon said it shows what drug money can buy you 😂 said there is a lot going on at Kelty behind the scenes. 

There's definitely something went on behind the scenes to springboard them to where they are now that's for sure. Still though, they do get very good crowds for a team of its location. I've been to Kelty a few times sadly and its just a village. :lol: 

Hungry hippo
30 minutes ago, Locky said:

Rangers B have certainly made up a lot of ground on Rose, but with only 33 points at stake with 11 just to catch, I think (hope) that Bonnyrigg have enough. 

What's the script if Rangers B top the league? Do 2nd get the play-off spot or do Fraserburgh just get a bye to the final?

Second would get the playoff. There's no chance the Lowland teams would have voted for it without that condition.

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Second would get the playoff. There's no chance the Lowland teams would have voted for it without that condition.

I would hope not. Bonnyrigg should be fine then. Only 11 clear of Spartans too but they've only got 9 games to play and the way their results have been, I can't see them making that up.

Footballfirst

Bonnyrigg's run in isn't the easiest, but the other top teams have still to play one another too, e.g.  2 x OF(B) derbies.

Gala FR (a)

Celtic B (a)

Dalbeattie (a)

Bo'ness (h)

Edin Uni (a)

Rangers B (a)

East Stirling (h)

East Kilbride (a)

tbc

Cumbernauld Colts (h)

Berwick (a)

What happens if Celtic and Rangers B finish 1st and 2nd ? 

Does 3rd place then play a play off v the highland league winners ? . The 3rd place team could be miles off 1st and still get a chance at promotion ? 

Hungry hippo
6 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What happens if Celtic and Rangers B finish 1st and 2nd ? 

Does 3rd place then play a play off v the highland league winners ? . The 3rd place team could be miles off 1st and still get a chance at promotion ? 

Yeah, the B teams are irrelevant to promotion.

Niemi’s gloves
16 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

13 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

100% this there is about 3 clubs in Ayrshire who will get bigger supports than some League one clubs possibly championship clubs. Linlithgow Bo’ness Bonnyrigg already get good supports Camelon out in Falkirk too. 

Kelty and Cove have showing more ambition in their short time in the SPFL than league 1 and 2 clubs have showing in decades. I did think Edinburgh City would of had a promotion to league 1 by now, hopefully it happens this year.

I really think Cowdenbeath dropping out they will be down there for year or eventually go bust. 

I’m sceptical of most of this. Some clubs outside the SPFL get reasonable gates on the basis of walk up prices of what £6-£8 against maybe £12-£15 in League One and Two, plus a core of old guys paying cheap prices for season tickets. A few clubs may then garner support from a particular brand of glory hunters that boosts their gates while they are on an upward trajectory. But what happens when the upward trajectory stops? I suspect Kelty Hearts’ crowds will quickly fall back to Cowdenbeath levels. 

And as for Edinburgh City, I think a crowd of 258 on Friday night tells you all you need to know about their contribution to the health of the SPFL and their chances of moving up the leagues.

21 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I’m sceptical of most of this. Some clubs outside the SPFL get reasonable gates on the basis of walk up prices of what £6-£8 against maybe £12-£15 in League One and Two, plus a core of old guys paying cheap prices for season tickets. A few clubs may then garner support from a particular brand of glory hunters that boosts their gates while they are on an upward trajectory. But what happens when the upward trajectory stops? I suspect Kelty Hearts’ crowds will quickly fall back to Cowdenbeath levels. 

And as for Edinburgh City, I think a crowd of 258 on Friday night tells you all you need to know about their contribution to the health of the SPFL and their chances of moving up the leagues.

not sure Fridays attendance is a great example. Friends were at the U20s game on the community pitch and they were saying it was cold AF. There’s also the Covid factor. If they are going back to Meadowbank need to see how the attendances pan out there 

Edited by Hesh

section s heart

I like the pyramid although the way it's set up, it takes time for teams to feed through, and the best of the ex junior teams only add to the bottleneck. 

The likes of Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, etc alongside the teams that have already dropped down, don't add that much to the game and have no divine right to stay in the leagues. 

With Kelty beating Brechin so convincingly for the play off win, there's no argument for holding them back, even if folk doubt their sustainability. 

Niemi’s gloves
30 minutes ago, section s heart said:

I like the pyramid although the way it's set up, it takes time for teams to feed through, and the best of the ex junior teams only add to the bottleneck. 

The likes of Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, etc alongside the teams that have already dropped down, don't add that much to the game and have no divine right to stay in the leagues. 

With Kelty beating Brechin so convincingly for the play off win, there's no argument for holding them back, even if folk doubt their sustainability. 

Yes I agree that there should be no artificial bottlenecks and that well run, ambitious clubs should have the opportunity to move up. It’s just that I doubt that many non-league clubs have the ability to bring significant support to the SPFL on a sustained basis. 

Footballfirst

Good win for Bonnyrigg today 3-0 away to Gala FR. That coupled with Rangers B and Celtic B both drawing restores the points differential they lost with last week's draw at home to Spartans, who are now in 2nd place after an 8-0 win over Vale of Leithen

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I went along to the EOS Premier League clash between Penicuik and Tranent.  The 0-3 scoreline didn't flatter the visitors who dominated from the off.

A couple of things of note from the game.  Kelby Mason was in goal for Tranent. Kieran Somverville, who scored the first two goals, was also a Hearts academy product.

59 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I went along to the EOS Premier League clash between Penicuik and Tranent.  The 0-3 scoreline didn't flatter the visitors who dominated from the off.

A couple of things of note from the game.  Kelby Mason was in goal for Tranent. Kieran Somverville, who scored the first two goals, was also a Hearts academy product.

Good result for Lithgae Rose 🌹 as they march towards the league title.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Callum Elliot signed Darren McCormack for Tranent today,was he playing?Bit of previous there!

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, systemx said:

Callum Elliot signed Darren McCormack for Tranent today,was he playing?Bit of previous there!

Yes he did play and had a good game.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes he did play and had a good game.

No Rory Currie at all?

On the Lowland League, what are the chances of Vale of Leithen conceding 200 goals in the season?

22 hours ago, RobboM said:

No Rory Currie at all?

On the Lowland League, what are the chances of Vale of Leithen conceding 200 goals in the season?

Currie out injured will be back soon

On 08/01/2022 at 22:43, Stu_HMFC said:

Ambitious Kelty are just next door.  No room in central Fife for both of them with Raith just doon the road.

On 09/01/2022 at 12:40, Niemi’s gloves said:

It's a fair argument and I do agree with Kelty. Their crowds almost seem too big for my liking. That said though, following these teams hopefully gives the locals a real affinity to the point where they won't turn their backs just because prices go up a bit of the success dries up a little.

I think in the case of Edinburgh City, it's surprisingly quite difficult for them to bring in many more new fans. They weren't Juniors as such, so doesn't really seem to be much of a core following of the club in the way Junior teams have. Edinburgh is a strange city too when it comes to football. It's predominantly only ever been Hearts and Hibs professionally in the city in the last 50 years or so which means they're rooted firmly in the city's population. Those who don't like either tend to support Celtic and Rangers, or an English team.

Was down watching Musselburgh vs Whitehill Welfare yesterday. First time I'd been to watch Mussy since the 1-0 win vs Penicuik in August. On previous visits I'd been pleasantly surprised by the football that Mussy play, but no sign of that yesterday. Deservedly beaten by a Welfare team who came into the match bottom of the table.

Can't recall the Welfare keeper having to make a save the whole match. Whitehill played well and probably should have won by more, and that was with a 31-year old burly centre half filling in up front. :lol: 

Footballfirst

I may be being a tad controversial by saying that I don't think that Bonnyrigg is ready to go up, unless it can find a benefactor to put some significant sums into ground and squad improvements before next season.

As much as I enjoy going to New Dundas Park, it needs a lot of investment to bring it up even to SPFL L2 standard.  There is no covered seating and limited other cover.  I suspect that they may not be allowed to use the grass banking on the south side of the ground. There isn't even a paved walkway round the ground. 

They do have a decent starting squad of 13/14 players, but again will have to bring in a few players, preferably with SPFL experience as several of their key players are on the wrong side of 30. 

The EOSFL clubs will never compete on the basis of crowds with those big clubs in the WOSFL but the pyramid will gradually settle to clubs abilities and financing.  The various Lothian and Stirlingshire clubs will find their own level with only the cream rising through the Lowland League.

I am a tad biased as I have sons playing with clubs in the SLFL and EOSFL.

On 09/01/2022 at 12:40, Niemi’s gloves said:

Your spot on.

The same reason I had no desire to see Brora Rangers in the SPFL

3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Ambitious Kelty are just next door.  No room in central Fife for both of them with Raith just doon the road.

Aye they are going down and will go bust eventually (hopefully) 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Was down watching Musselburgh vs Whitehill Welfare yesterday. First time I'd been to watch Mussy since the 1-0 win vs Penicuik in August. On previous visits I'd been pleasantly surprised by the football that Mussy play, but no sign of that yesterday. Deservedly beaten by a Welfare team who came into the match bottom of the table.

Can't recall the Welfare keeper having to make a save the whole match. Whitehill played well and probably should have won by more, and that was with a 31-year old burly centre half filling in up front. :lol: 

If that is the same lad that was playing up front for Welfare last week against Penicuik then you are being kind saying burly. He is the size of a caravan but he could actually shift pretty rapid!

41 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

If that is the same lad that was playing up front for Welfare last week against Penicuik then you are being kind saying burly. He is the size of a caravan but he could actually shift pretty rapid!

:lol: likely was him. Me and my mate were calling him Scotland's very own 'Daryl the barrel'.

On 16/01/2022 at 23:35, Locky said:

:lol: likely was him. Me and my mate were calling him Scotland's very own 'Daryl the barrel'.

not this kind of barrel

73AAD86D-4704-4415-ADA2-6943B9DBD5A9.jpeg

Another win for Bonnyrigg today

Their win today was  over Tranent was in the EoS Qulifying Cup, not the Lowland League.
Huge win for Linlithgow, 5-0 over Penicuik in the same cup competition

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Their win today was  over Tranent was in the EoS Qulifying Cup, not the Lowland League.
Huge win for Linlithgow, 5-0 over Penicuik in the same cup competition

I was at Hill of Beath v Berwick Rangers.  HOB deservedly won 4-2 and it could have been more.

I was disappointed that Aidan Denholm was an unused sub.

Edit: I sawthat Tranent announced a crowd of 957 at today's game. That must be the highest in the East this season (Bonnyrigg got 952 at their LL game v Rangers "B") 

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was at Hill of Beath v Berwick Rangers.  HOB deservedly won 4-2 and it could have been more.

I was disappointed that Aidan Denholm was an unused sub.

Does make you wonder about the relative strengths of the Pyramid leagues at the moment. HoB have been in the relegation zone of the EoS Premier, though 3 league wins on the bounce recently maybe says they have turned a corner.

Popped down to Christie Gillies Park this evening for Civil Service vs Armadale Thistle in the EoS Qualifying Cup. Bitter night down in Granton-sur-Mer, and all for a match which ended 0-0 after extra time. :lol: Civil Service won on penalties in the end. Not a bad match though tbh, Armadale battled bravely despite being a few tiers lower in the pyramid.

Civil Service played some nice stuff but seemed a bit panicky in the final 3rd. A young team by the looks of it too though so that's to be expected at times I guess. Nice big clubhouse down there too, and a bottle of Moretti for £3. Didn't do much to warm me up though.

On 08/01/2022 at 20:08, Stu_HMFC said:

Aye, like Edinburgh City (really??)

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread