• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baldwigforjack
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bonnyrigg have got it all but sewn up

Pity they'll struggle if they do come up. Plenty of investment needed on and off the pitch.

Footballfirst

Decision to make. What game to go and watch on Saturday afternoon?

Bonnyrigg v Gala FR (3 Hearts loanees in the GFR side), or

Tranent v Penicuik (top two in the EOS Premier league, with a number of ex-Hearts connections)

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

For non-league further afield....

If anyone's in Sheffield on Saturday and not tempted by the clash of Wednesday and Gillingham (ex-Hearts connections ,Calum Paterson and Olly Lee, of course), you could do much worse than head to Sandygate Park to watch Hallam FC v Armthorpe Welfare. Oldest football ground in the world, second oldest club and, most important of all, a decent clubhouse. 

See you there?

On 04/11/2021 at 14:40, Chuck Berry said:

Blackburn isn't a cage, it has a 3g but similarity to a cage ends there, neither are Braves - with 2 seated stands and pie stand - and .....

Agreed. Blackburn was a grass pitch in the same set up till 5? years ago

Siphiwe Tshabalala
On 11/11/2021 at 19:26, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

For non-league further afield....

If anyone's in Sheffield on Saturday and not tempted by the clash of Wednesday and Gillingham (ex-Hearts connections ,Calum Paterson and Olly Lee, of course), you could do much worse than head to Sandygate Park to watch Hallam FC v Armthorpe Welfare. Oldest football ground in the world, second oldest club and, most important of all, a decent clubhouse. 

See you there?

Would’ve took this game in if I hadn’t just seen this now! 

Niemi’s gloves
33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic: Sean Connery's former club go from near extinction to brink of SPFL https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59262898

Home to Gala FR. I see from Gala’s Twitter that Hearts youngsters Arron Darge and Harris Spratt both start, but Sean Docherty is absent from the squad  (presumably injured given that he’s been a regular for them). Keeper Spratt seems to have done quite well in the month or so he’s been at Gala but I guess today will be his biggest test yet, away to the league leaders in front of a significant crowd. 

If anyone is at the game, it would be interesting to get an assessment of the two young lads.

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Maroon Sailor

Vale of Leithen 1 up at HT against Spartans

What's going on with Vale these days ?

Drew with Gretna and only lost 2-0 at Bonnyrigg

A question that I have been pondering about regarding the LL.

Should Rangers B finish 1st in the league will the 2nd placed team qualify for the play-offs? 

As it stands Bonnyrigg v Fraserburgh will be the play-off.

/

Just now, Tasavallan said:

Should Rangers B finish 1st in the league will the 2nd placed team qualify for the play-offs? 

/

Yeah, the B teams are just ignored.

Niemi’s gloves
41 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Yeah, the B teams are just ignored.

In theory yes. But if Rangers B win the lowland league, and Bonnyrigg beat Cowdenbeath in the play-off final, you may see Donald Findlay deploying all his skills as an advocate to argue that Bonnyrigg’s participation was invalid. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
3 hours ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Would’ve took this game in if I hadn’t just seen this now! 

You missed a good game; second half much better than the first. Ended 3-1 to Hallam, in front of an excellent crowd of 656.  Next home game is against Teversal on the 27th.

SomethingAboutObua
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

/

B teams can't go into the playoff 

If Rangers B win the LL, no LL team will enter the playoff, the LL teams didn't know this apparently and Bonnyrigg Rose are furious as they didn't vote for the B teams in the first place 

There's currently rumours/pressure that if team 42 lose the playoff they can choose what league to join, again much to the fury of LL teams 

9 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

If Rangers B win the LL, no LL team will enter the playoff, the LL teams didn't know this apparently and Bonnyrigg Rose are furious as they didn't vote for the B teams in the first place 

There's currently rumours/pressure that if team 42 lose the playoff they can choose what league to join, again much to the fury of LL teams 

Interesting 

I haven't seen all the changes including choosing which league you join reported 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lowland-league-chiefs-bid-to-quash-rumours-about-changes-to-the-pyramid-play-off-rules-3360049

Footballfirst
36 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

1235 fans at Tranent today.

I was there today and I would have estimated around 500, so I don't know where Tranent got the 1235 from. (unless it was the 12:35 from Waverley to Prestonpans :whistling:)

There were 668 at Bonnyrigg v GFR.

Edited by Footballfirst

I went to the Bonnyrigg game and it was pretty even until they scored just before half time, ended up winning 2-0 and could maybe had added a couple more. 

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was there today and I would have estimated around 500, so I don't know where Tranent got the 1235 from. (unless it was the 12:35 from Waverley to Prestonpans :whistling:)

Tranent maybe have Aberdeen levels of season ticket holders. 

Niemi’s gloves
11 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

I went to the Bonnyrigg game and it was pretty even until they scored just before half time, ended up winning 2-0 and could maybe had added a couple more. 

Any thoughts on Hearts youngsters in the Gala team: Spratt in goal and Darge (possibly wearing 10 if they were numbered 1 to 11, but likely playing defensive midfield)?

I believe it was Harris Spratt’s 18th birthday today. Doubtless  600+ of Bonnyrigg’s finest citizens gave him an appropriate welcome to the adult world, complete with friendly or not so friendly “advice”🙂

Niemi’s gloves
44 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

if you’re right, then all the more credit to Dalbeattie Star today and other teams who have beaten Rangers B and reduced the chances of Rangers B winning the league. 

On your last point, the immediate question would be whether it applies to Brechin retrospectively. It’s really only the Angus clubs in league 2 who create a problem and Forfar are  in no danger of being “club 42” this season.

And at the risk boring people with the same point I’ve made before, what is needed at Tier 5 is three leagues: Highland, Lowland (South and West) and Lowland (East and Tayside). Among other things this, could help break the logjam between the Lowland and tier 6 leagues, and hopefully see proper 2 up, 2 down between them in subsequent seasons. 

50 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was there too and it certainly looked closer to 500 that 1200.  Great support from Penicuik and a great game too.

A draw was a fair result with both teams looking to win it at the end.  One of these two teams is going to win the league.

37 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Any thoughts on Hearts youngsters in the Gala team: Spratt in goal and Darge (possibly wearing 10 if they were numbered 1 to 11, but likely playing defensive midfield)?

I believe it was Harris Spratt’s 18th birthday today. Doubtless  600+ of Bonnyrigg’s finest citizens gave him an appropriate welcome to the adult world, complete with friendly or not so friendly “advice”🙂

To be honest I wasn't aware that there were Hearts youngsters in the Gala team! However, as one was the keeper I can say that his handling was really good, he made some decent stops and he had no chance with either of the goals. 

Footballfirst
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Good to a see a bit respectability in the Vale of Leithen result today.

2-1 loss to Spartans. 

They have strengthened their side since their new coach took over (from Penicuik U20s).  I believe that he has signed five lads from Penicuik. They also have recruited striker Mark Deya, who is a 17 year old that was released by Hearts a year or so ago. Coincidentally Mark is also from Penicuik.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They have strengthened their side since their new coach took over (from Penicuik U20s).  I believe that he has signed five lads from Penicuik. They also have recruited striker Mark Deya, who is a 17 year old that was released by Hearts a year or so ago. Coincidentally Mark is also from Penicuik.

They'll be changing their name to Vale of Penicuik at this rate.

2 defeats this week against the top 2 but respectful scorelines

Might even get few points on the board soon

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Took in the Civil Service Strollers v Berwick match today

Berwick keeper saved 2 penalties but was at fault for the first goal.

CSS are a strong unit and no surprise to see them where they are.

First time visit and they have it sussed up there. You have to go through the bar/club on your way to get in to the ground.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They'll be changing their name to Vale of Penicuik at this rate.

2 defeats this week against the top 2 but respectful scorelines

Might even get few points on the board soon

I heard a rumour that they were seeking to get a couple of Hearts U18s on loan in January. It wasn't from a reliable source though, so I would set it aside for the moment.

Does Ann Budge own a house in Innerleithen by any chance? (that also came from the same source, hence my question)

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Maybe they borrowed turnstiles from Easter Road. 

Went along to Bo’ness V Stirling Uni

Decent game Stirling winning 3-2, thought Bo’ness were pretty poor, referee wasn’t the strongest either and drew the ire of the locals but Stirling had a lively front line who pushed and profited from pressuring the Bo’ness back line.

first time at Newtown Park, nice ground and £7 decent price for a good game. 

HartleyLegend3
3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

/

Yeah, then the winner will play a two legged gamed against the bottom of the second division. Currently Cowdenbeath.. 

Anyone with good knowledge of those leagues. Who would be the likely winners? 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Went along to Bo’ness V Stirling Uni

Decent game Stirling winning 3-2, thought Bo’ness were pretty poor, referee wasn’t the strongest either and drew the ire of the locals but Stirling had a lively front line who pushed and profited from pressuring the Bo’ness back line.

first time at Newtown Park, nice ground and £7 decent price for a good game. 

£7 for the Strollers

£10 you got a pie and a beer as well

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

£7 for the Strollers

£10 you got a pie and a beer as well

I saw that offer yesterday. It's a good way of generating a little more income (and further sales at the bar).

It'd be quite something for Bonnyrigg to get into senior L2 after being at death's door a few years ago.   Icing on the cake for Gary Locke too in his testimonial year.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

To be honest I wasn't aware that there were Hearts youngsters in the Gala team! However, as one was the keeper I can say that his handling was really good, he made some decent stops and he had no chance with either of the goals. 

Thanks. Sounds encouraging. Good experience and glad to hear he didn’t have a howler on his birthday. 

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Thanks. Sounds encouraging. Good experience and glad to hear he didn’t have a howler on his birthday. 

I was at the Bonnyrigg game today as well. Not much between the teams until Bonnyrigg scored. After that only one winner imo. 

I’d forgotten how cold it is standing on an open terrace ( grass banking in fact ). I enjoyed having a stanchion to lean on though. 

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I was at the Bonnyrigg game today as well. Not much between the teams until Bonnyrigg scored. After that only one winner imo. 

I’d forgotten how cold it is standing on an open terrace ( grass banking in fact ). I enjoyed having a stanchion to lean on though. 

I must have been close to you at some point - was with my 8yo son who was wearing a luminous yellow beanie hat. 

10 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

I must have been close to you at some point - was with my 8yo son who was wearing a luminous yellow beanie hat. 

I think I remember him, though there were a few lads around. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2021 at 14:40, Chuck Berry said:

Blackburn isn't a cage, it has a 3g but similarity to a cage ends there, neither are Braves - with 2 seated stands and pie stand - and East Kilbride have a stand and covered terrace.  Heriot Watt has 2 stands (although dressing rooms are a bit far away).  Never been to Dalgety Bay so can't comment on that one.

Leith are moving back to Meadowbank soon I think, and Rosyth are on a shoogly peg with their cage as they've been let down with a new ground and not sure what their situation is really.

Looking at KSQ pitch, it would need to be improved a bit to meet basic requirments, hopefully they have a plan.

Regarding Rosyth, its reported today Dunfermline are taking over  the 'former Civil Service Sports Council grounds' as their new training ground 

Courier article mentioned on BBC Scotland Gossip.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Daniel Baur,  formerly of Hearts I think  , has signed a contract  for Lithgae Rose until 2024.

Going by their Twitter account, they’ve also signed another couple of players through to 2024 in recent weeks. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that very unusual at non-SPFL level (or indeed any league in Scotland below the premier)? Are Linlithgow making a big bid to build towards SPFL status over the next few years?

9 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Going by their Twitter account, they’ve also signed another couple of players through to 2024 in recent weeks. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that very unusual at non-SPFL level (or indeed any league in Scotland below the premier)? Are Linlithgow making a big bid to build towards SPFL status over the next few years?

They sacked their manager a month or so after the season started. They were way behind Penicuik and Tranent at that stage and have since narrowed the gap. Might be too late to catch both though. I think there's only one promotion spot to the Lowland League available from East , South and West of Scotland leagues via a playoffs so might be too little too late.

11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Regarding Rosyth, its reported today Dunfermline are taking over  the 'former Civil Service Sports Council grounds' as their new training ground 

Courier article mentioned on BBC Scotland Gossip.

Saw that, not good for them and doesn't reflect well on Dunfermline either.

Footballfirst

Scottish Cup scores  (a few "giant killers" and Hearts loanees scoring)

Alloa Athletic 5-0 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic  (Euan Henderson hat trick)
Arbroath 3-0 Forfar Athletic
Auchinleck Talbot 1-0 Hamilton Academical
Ayr United 2-1 Albion Rovers
Banks O’Dee 2-1 East Fife
Civil Service Strollers 0-3 Peterhead
Clydebank 2-0 Clyde
Cove Rangers 2-2 Queen of the South
Dalbeattie Star 1-2 East Kilbride
Dumbarton 3-1 Sauchie Juniors (Ryan Schiavone goal)
Falkirk 1-2 Raith Rovers
Gala Fairydean Rovers 0-1 Annan Athletic
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1-1 Greenock Morton
Kelty Hearts 0-0 Montrose
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 1-2 Edinburgh City
Queen's Park 0-1 Kilmarnock
Stenhousemuir 0-2 Airdrieonians (Scot McGill goal)
Stirling Albion 4-0 Tranent Juniors

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread