Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Rossvale Juniors have announced an interesting strategic partnership with a team in Gibraltar. Looking to create a pathway for players to go from the Scottish Juniors to European Football.

Gibraltar? 😵💫

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delighted to see Rangers B lose in the Lowland League yesterday 0-2 v East Stirlingshire. Bonnyrigg's game at Dalbeattie was waterlogged.

Tight at the top in the Highland League. Buckie went top midweek with a win over long time league leaders Fraserburgh. Buckie followed it up with a win over Brechin only to be knocked off top spot on goal difference as Fraserburgh won 7-0.

In the East of Scotland Premier Linlithgow Rose go top for the first time this season with their 21st win on the bounce as Penicuik Ath sit idle due to the weather. The scrap at the bottom saw surprise wins away from home for Blackburn Utd and Newtongrange Star. Both teams have their sights on a traffic jam of teams just above the relegation zone.  As many as 5 teams could go down, Whitehill Welfare looking the likeliest to be one of them.

Footballfirst

I was at Bonnyrigg this afternoon to watch their SLFL game against Bo'ness.  They won comfortably 3-0 in the end, but struggled to create many chances.  They did get three penalties though (Lee Currie missed the first), but Neil Martyniuk scored with the others with a Callum Connelly toe poke in between.

The win takes them two wins away from sealing a playoff against the HL champions, and three wins away from sealing the league title, if you include the OF B teams.

They can get a game closer on Tuesday night when they play Cumbernauld Colts in a rescheduled game at New Dundas Park, then seal the deal away to Edinburgh University next Saturday.

Played Points Max
1 Bonnyrigg Rose 27 71 92
2 Celtic B 28 61 79
3 The Spartans 30 61 73
4 Rangers B 27 58 79
5 East Kilbride 28 58 76
6 Civil Service Strollers 30 50 62
7 Berwick Rangers 28 49 67
8 East Stirlingshire 27 45 66
9 Caledonian Braves 27 38 59
10 Dalbeattie Star 24 36 66
11 Gala Fairydean Rovers 26 34 58
12 Bo’ness United 25 31 58
13 Broomhill 30 28 40
14 University of Stirling 26 27 51
15 Edinburgh University 30 26 38
16 Cumbernauld Colts 29 25 40
17 Gretna 2008 28 11 29
18 Vale of Leithen 28 5 23
Edited by Footballfirst

On 19/02/2022 at 17:47, Footballfirst said:

I was at Bonnyrigg this afternoon to watch their SLFL game against Bo'ness.  They won comfortably 3-0 in the end, but struggled to create many chances.  They did get three penalties though (Lee Currie missed the first), but Neil Martyniuk scored with the others with a Callum Connelly toe poke in between.

The win takes them two wins away from sealing a playoff against the HL champions, and three wins away from sealing the league title, if you include the OF B teams.

They can get a game closer on Tuesday night when they play Cumbernauld Colts in a rescheduled game at New Dundas Park, then seal the deal away to Edinburgh University next Saturday.

Played Points Max
1 Bonnyrigg Rose 27 71 92
2 Celtic B 28 61 79
3 The Spartans 30 61 73
4 Rangers B 27 58 79
5 East Kilbride 28 58 76
6 Civil Service Strollers 30 50 62
7 Berwick Rangers 28 49 67
8 East Stirlingshire 27 45 66
9 Caledonian Braves 27 38 59
10 Dalbeattie Star 24 36 66
11 Gala Fairydean Rovers 26 34 58
12 Bo’ness United 25 31 58
13 Broomhill 30 28 40
14 University of Stirling 26 27 51
15 Edinburgh University 30 26 38
16 Cumbernauld Colts 29 25 40
17 Gretna 2008 28 11 29
18 Vale of Leithen 28 5 23

Bonnyrigg Rose match off tonight after pitch inspection. Shame as I was planning to pop up to see it. 

On 22/02/2022 at 13:05, davemclaren said:

Bonnyrigg Rose match off tonight after pitch inspection. Shame as I was planning to pop up to see it. 

Rearranged game at home to Cumbernauld Colts  tomorrow night 

Chance to guarantee play off place with a win. 

(Celtic B are now 2nd in table after winning yesterday) 

IMG_20220228_114333.jpg

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rearranged game at home to Cumbernauld Colts  tomorrow night 

Chance to guarantee play off place with a win. 

(Celtic B are now 2nd in table after winning yesterday) 

IMG_20220228_114333.jpg

Might well go to that.  

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Might well go to that.  

I was speaking to Max Christie, the Bo'ness United manager, at the Oriam yesterday (his laddie was playing for Hibs v Hearts in an academy game). Bonnyrigg beat Bo'ness 3-0 last weekend.  He admitted that the Rose had better players, but said that it was impossible to play any decent football on the New Dundas Park pitch.

I don't know what state it will be in after last week's rain, so tomorrow's game could still be in doubt.  

20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was speaking to Max Christie, the Bo'ness United manager, at the Oriam yesterday (his laddie was playing for Hibs v Hearts in an academy game). Bonnyrigg beat Bo'ness 3-0 last weekend.  He admitted that the Rose had better players, but said that it was impossible to play any decent football on the New Dundas Park pitch.

I don't know what state it will be in after last week's rain, so tomorrow's game could still be in doubt.  

No pitch inspection yet

Baldwigforjack

Victory tonight against Cumbernauld and they're in the playoffs. However since turning Senior Cumbernauld are the only team they haven't scored against. Anyone going tonight?

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Baldwigforjack said:

Victory tonight against Cumbernauld and they're in the playoffs. However since turning Senior Cumbernauld are the only team they haven't scored against. Anyone going tonight?

Thinking about it. 

Alec Eiffel

I am presuming that the arsecheek colts do not count in deciding qualifying for the playoff game against the Highland League Champions.

1 hour ago, Alec Eiffel said:

I am presuming that the arsecheek colts do not count in deciding qualifying for the playoff game against the Highland League Champions.

No they don't. 

The White Cockade
On 28/02/2022 at 13:42, Footballfirst said:

pitch in excellent condition tonight

Footballfirst
53 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

pitch in excellent condition tonight

Yes it was much improved. They had it "cored" by their turf company earlier today, along with cutting the grass. I noticed it was still a tad dead though, with the ball hardly bouncing.

Edited by Footballfirst

17 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

One more win for Bonnyrigg and they win the league. 

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst
On 02/03/2022 at 12:06, Mikey1874 said:

One more win for Bonnyrigg and they win the league. 

Now confirmed after their 4-1 win away to Berwick.

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The Lowland League clubs apparently voted 9-7 last night to retain the current relegation/promotion arrangements.

Self interest of teams such as Vale of Leithen and Gretna remains a top priority.

The best hope would be that a Highland League side wins the SPFL playoff and Cowdenbeath is relegated to the LL. That would mean that the two aforementioned LL sides would be relegated and the remaining clubs could ask for a new vote.

jamboinglasgow
24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Lowland League clubs apparently voted 9-7 last night to retain the current relegation/promotion arrangements.

Self interest of teams such as Vale of Leithen and Gretna remains a top priority.

The best hope would be that a Highland League side wins the SPFL playoff and Cowdenbeath is relegated to the LL. That would mean that the two aforementioned LL sides would be relegated and the remaining clubs could ask for a new vote.

Just saw that. Of course it makes sense for the self-interest of the clubs, but demonstrates how Scottish football is driven not by whats best for the game but whats best for each club. 

51 clubs in the 3 leagues that are below the Lowland league and only 1 team between those 3 will get promoted after a play off between the league winners. Saw a point that the Lowland league is a very unbalanced league in terms of quality and that a lot of teams in the leagues below are better than that those teams. Its the same as the issue with the play-offs into League Two.

Hungry hippo
56 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Was there a vote on the Colt teams?

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

Was there a vote on the Colt teams?

Only a presentation on their part as far as I know.

SomethingAboutObua

Quite liked the Darvel manager saying Darvel will be paying the £25k entry fee to join the LL instead of going for promotion.

Is frustrating me slightly people saying the 3 up 3 down is simple enough. Combining long term League numbers and fair geographical split is the complicated issue with regional leagues. The LL in the current format has 0, 1 or 2 relegation places tbc every season. I really doubt the EoSFL sides would willingly accept the possibility that one of their leagues could face between 0 and 3 relegations at the end of the season 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

1 hour ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Quite liked the Darvel manager saying Darvel will be paying the £25k entry fee to join the LL instead of going for promotion.

As long as they have floodlighting, all will be fine.  Lights is what kept VOL out of the EOSL.

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

As long as they have floodlighting, all will be fine.  Lights is what kept VOL out of the EOSL.

VOL could stay up this season with a particular set of play off results. If Bonnyrigg was promoted to the SPFL (possible) having beat Elgin who was relegated to the Highland League (unlikely), then the side promoted from Tier 6 would replace Bonnyrigg and there would be no relegation.

The converse of that is if the HL champions won the playoff and Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers was relegated to the LL, then two clubs would be relegated (VOL/Gretna?) 

Footballfirst

Bonnyrigg's president is not happy with the LL's decision.

PERSONAL NEWS - Following the defeat of the proposal of increased promotion into the SLFL last night I informed the chairman & secretary post meeting of my decision to resign by position on the SLFL board with immediate effect.
I only took the position in the first place due to chaps I have a lot of time for (Thomas Brown & Chris Ewing) on the condition it was until the end of this season in order to provide some short term stability to the board.
My mandate was one of progression, and a 7/9 is progress of sorts, given I was told privately not to even bother with it a couple of seasons ago such was the likelihood of change happening.
It’s only when you walk in someone else’s shoes that you realise the amount of work required to be a board member and Thomas, Chris, Fin, Graeme and Andrew have worked their proverbials off this season for the good of the league (as did every previous board. They’re top men.
Clubs are absolutely entitled to vote for what they believe is best for their club; democracy has to be abided. However given the status quo has been voted for I feel I no longer have a mandate to serve on the board & will focus my time on preparing for our impending playoffs

Niemi’s gloves

It’s interesting to see that in the Highland League’s area, Banks o’ Dee have already clinched the ‘North Super League’. This is significant because they are I think one of only two clubs in the three feeder leagues to the Highland league to have an SFA licence that makes them actually eligible for promotion to the HL. So it seems that Scotland’s least successful football team - Fort William - are now likely to face a play off to keep their HL place with near zero chance of success. Not sure which feeder league FW might end up in: the Midland (almost entirely Dundee and Angus clubs); the North Super (almost entirely Aberdeenshire) or the North Caledonian (Inverness northwards to Thurso and Orkney). 

Footballfirst

The former VOL manager seems to think that the LL clubs got it wrong on promotion/relegation (and the colt teams).

25 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Can anyone confirm if University of Stirling players can be registered for both LL & EofS teams ? 

No.  they are separate clubs for the basis of these leagues.  Of course a player can be transferred from one to another, but its a proper transfer.

Also the EOSL will not allow 2 teams from Universities to be in their leagues.  So when (yes when) university of stirling get relegated, then the EOSL version will fold (or change its name to sevco or something)

Footballfirst

Spineless and self interest prevails.

http://slfl.co.uk/votes-cast-on-guest-club-participation/

The member clubs of the Scottish Lowland Football League tonight voted on the potential inclusion of guest clubs for season 2022/23. 

A comfortable majority of 11-4 indicated a preference for their involvement, having taken two weeks to weigh up a presentation on the topic.

While conscious it is, understandably, a divisive and emotive subject, the overriding feeling is their presence has been of benefit in a commercial sense while there are promising early indications of young, emerging Scottish talents benefiting from early exposure to senior football in a competitive environment.

It is important to note that guest clubs will not be eligible for promotion. Nor will they hamper the ability of clubs to be promoted to or relegated from the Lowland League.

This has been a democratic process, with conversation and debate encouraged before any outcome was established.

The board of the SLFL, and member clubs, remain committed to making a positive impact within our communities and Scottish football as a whole, and will maintain an open mind to any initiatives that support those aims.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Footballfirst said:

The member clubs of the Scottish Lowland Football League tonight voted on the potential inclusion of guest clubs for season 2022/23. 

A comfortable majority of 11-4 indicated a preference for their involvement, having taken two weeks to weigh up a presentation on the topic.

While conscious it is, understandably, a divisive and emotive subject, the overriding feeling is their presence has been of benefit in a commercial sense while there are promising early indications of young, emerging Scottish talents benefiting from early exposure to senior football in a competitive environment.

It is important to note that guest clubs will not be eligible for promotion. Nor will they hamper the ability of clubs to be promoted to or relegated from the Lowland League.

This has been a democratic process, with conversation and debate encouraged before any outcome was established.

The board of the SLFL, and member clubs, remain committed to making a positive impact within our communities and Scottish football as a whole, and will maintain an open mind to any initiatives that support those aims.

So as expected, the Old Firm B teams are not a one season thing. I do think the way that is worded does give Hearts a chance of putting a B team in.

Footballfirst
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

So as expected, the Old Firm B teams are not a one season thing. I do think the way that is worded does give Hearts a chance of putting a B team in.

So lets say Hearts or, has been mooted, Dundee United apply along with the OF.  I can't see the league operating with 20 teams.  After their recent decision to stick with the current promotion/relegation arrangements, it's another kick in the teeth to the feeder leagues in the pyramid.

Footballfirst

As much as I want to see Bonnyrigg go up to the SPFL, I'm now minded to hope that Fraserburgh/Buckie wins the playoff and Cowdenbeath is relegated to the LL.  That at least would mean that two of the self interested clubs, Gretna 2008 and Vale of Leithen, would be relegated from the LL at the end of this season

Edited by Footballfirst

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

As much as I want to see Bonnyrigg go up to the SPFL, I'm now minded to hope that Fraserburgh/Buckie wins the playoff and Cowdenbeath is relegated to the LL.  That at least would mean that two of the self interested clubs, Gretna 2008 and Vale of Leithen, would be relegated from the LL at the end of this season

I contributed towards the funding of the floodlights at Vale which at the time kept them in the LL.  My lad was playing for them.  Vale have finished bottom for the last 3 seasons and have stayed up due to politics.  This time maybe the bottom club will be relegated.

Footballfirst
44 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I contributed towards the funding of the floodlights at Vale which at the time kept them in the LL.  My lad was playing for them.  Vale have finished bottom for the last 3 seasons and have stayed up due to politics.  This time maybe the bottom club will be relegated.

The support for maintaining VOL's licensed status was laudable. However there are now a good number of licensed clubs at tier 6. It is indeed time to accept that their time in the LL is coming to an end.

This decision comes hot on the heels of the Lowland League vote against opening up more promotion spots for the Pyramid for teams to earn their place in the LL on merit. It stinks to high heaven.

12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Starting to fall out of favour with the LL somewhat. Too many clubs who are never going to go anywhere in that division, but doing everything they can to dine out on the benefits of that level. I know these clubs are going to look after themselves, but as I've mentioned in the past, there's so many EoS clubs with far more ambition, far better facilities, fanbases etc. who could take years to get anywhere because of the difficult path that lies ahead of them in terms of promotion. The pyramid needs a radical shake up IMO. 

As for the B teams, I really don't think a lot of these clubs would care about other teams entering B teams. Truth is, Celtic and Rangers does benefit clubs from a gate receipts perspective, but I don't think any other clubs would have the same impact. As we know, Celtic and Rangers fans are in abundance all across the country, so for fans who live local to LL clubs, it's a great opportunity for them to see a game without travelling. Sadly, clubs outwith the OF just don't have the same level of fans scattered throughout so the impact on crowds would be pretty minimal. Guarantee any other SPFL B teams would be punted to a lower level.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Starting to fall out of favour with the LL somewhat. Too many clubs who are never going to go anywhere in that division, but doing everything they can to dine out on the benefits of that level. I know these clubs are going to look after themselves, but as I've mentioned in the past, there's so many EoS clubs with far more ambition, far better facilities, fanbases etc. who could take years to get anywhere because of the difficult path that lies ahead of them in terms of promotion. The pyramid needs a radical shake up IMO. 

As for the B teams, I really don't think a lot of these clubs would care about other teams entering B teams. Truth is, Celtic and Rangers does benefit clubs from a gate receipts perspective, but I don't think any other clubs would have the same impact. As we know, Celtic and Rangers fans are in abundance all across the country, so for fans who live local to LL clubs, it's a great opportunity for them to see a game without travelling. Sadly, clubs outwith the OF just don't have the same level of fans scattered throughout so the impact on crowds would be pretty minimal. Guarantee any other SPFL B teams would be punted to a lower level.

I think that the benefit from gate receipts will be short lived as the novelty factor wears off. The clubs who benefited most financially were the OF themselves.  The LL "OF Derby" at Ibrox attracted 9,000 and that would have paid for the £25k entrance fee several times over. The second derby at Celtic Park has yet to take place.

Bonnyrigg's statement on the vote.

RESULT OF GUEST CLUB PARTICIPATION IN THE SLFL NEXT SEASON

BY BRENDAN PARKINSON

Clubs vote in favour by 11-4

A vote was held on the participation of guest clubs in the SLFL next season yesterday evening (Monday 4th April) at a general meeting. We were informed later that evening that clubs had voted 11-4 in favour (with 1 abstention) of the principle of continuing with guest clubs. Full SLFL statement.

We would like to thank all of our members who voted on the proposal via email or in person since we announced our intention to let our members decide and also to non members who attend games who shared their views. We had just over double the response of the previous season but the results were broadly similar, with over 90% voting against the motion, which is why we can confirm that we were one of the four clubs that voted against last night.

We published our vote result ahead of the meeting last season and for similar reasons our members rejected the motion once more. We have been consistent in our thoughts on pyramid integrity since moving back to the senior leagues in 2018, which is also why we voted in favour of additional promotion spots into the SLFL last month, which was rejected with our SLFL board member immediately resigning as a result.

The process followed in both instances has been a democratic one and while we were on the opposite sides of both they are decisions which clubs are absolutely entitled to make. Now that the voting series has concluded, we will focus our attention off the pitch on our play-off preparation and welcoming the SLFL trophy to New Dundas Park on Saturday for the first time.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that the benefit from gate receipts will be short lived as the novelty factor wears off. The clubs who benefited most financially were the OF themselves.  The LL "OF Derby" at Ibrox attracted 9,000 and that would have paid for the £25k entrance fee several times over. The second derby at Celtic Park has yet to take place.

Bonnyrigg's statement on the vote.

RESULT OF GUEST CLUB PARTICIPATION IN THE SLFL NEXT SEASON

BY BRENDAN PARKINSON

Clubs vote in favour by 11-4

A vote was held on the participation of guest clubs in the SLFL next season yesterday evening (Monday 4th April) at a general meeting. We were informed later that evening that clubs had voted 11-4 in favour (with 1 abstention) of the principle of continuing with guest clubs. Full SLFL statement.

We would like to thank all of our members who voted on the proposal via email or in person since we announced our intention to let our members decide and also to non members who attend games who shared their views. We had just over double the response of the previous season but the results were broadly similar, with over 90% voting against the motion, which is why we can confirm that we were one of the four clubs that voted against last night.

We published our vote result ahead of the meeting last season and for similar reasons our members rejected the motion once more. We have been consistent in our thoughts on pyramid integrity since moving back to the senior leagues in 2018, which is also why we voted in favour of additional promotion spots into the SLFL last month, which was rejected with our SLFL board member immediately resigning as a result.

The process followed in both instances has been a democratic one and while we were on the opposite sides of both they are decisions which clubs are absolutely entitled to make. Now that the voting series has concluded, we will focus our attention off the pitch on our play-off preparation and welcoming the SLFL trophy to New Dundas Park on Saturday for the first time.

Yeah that's true. Good statement from Bonnyrigg. Got a lot of time for them. Very much a club who fit the bill for what the pyramid should be about. A well run club with a clear pathway to realise their ambitions.

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Also the "Guest Club" bullshit can get to ****. It's "Old Firm" or "Arse Cheeks".

Maybe they could have two different ‘guest clubs’ every year? 😎

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread