Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Drama at the Syngenta - Bo'ness game last night I heard.

I was unaware of what had happened but having read the following, I can see why there was controversy.

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/irvine-launches-tirade-at-controversial-goal-decision-that-could-have-cost-his-side-the-title-3690442

Irvine launches tirade at controversial goal decision that 'could have cost his side the title'

Bo’ness Athletic boss Willie Irvine admitted he was speechless after watching his team lose out on three points against title rivals Syngenta, due to the referee allowing the hosts to kick-off when his players were in the midst of celebrating going 2-1 up with five minutes to go.

After veteran hitman Andy Rodgers put Gordon Wylde’s side ahead in the second-half, two strikes from 55-goal man Tiwi Daramola put the away side top of the league, and set to pick up three points at Ochilview.

However, while the Bo’ness players celebrations spilled into their own half, referee Richard Macartney allowed the Dyes to kick-off, and they bombarded up the pitch scoring to level the match with just goalkeeper Fraser Currid to beat.

Hamilton Accies loanee Lennon Pirrie slotted home to set up a chaotic ending with Craig Sneddon sent off for Bo’ness for his protestations.

The anger was evident at the full-time whistle with the away sides directors and playing staff livid.

Speaking to the Herald, an incensed Irvine said: “In my 40-odd years in the game I have never witnessed anything like that.

"Imagine if a situation like that had happened at Celtic or Rangers and the referee did that, imagine the fallout. A riot would have occurred, people would have been murdered.

“Half of our players were off the park and he (the referee) has got to identify that both sides were ready to restart the game.

“Imagine if that happened every match, no-one would celebrate near the corner of the pitch because the other team would go up and score.

“It just wouldn’t be done. It was embarrassing.

“If we had won our last two games and won this one we would have been up more than likely.

“For the referee to do that when we have dominated the match and could have been two or three up really was something I’ve never saw before.

“Even bringing sportsmanship into it, honestly, if that was me in charge of a side and that happened I would say to my players to let a goal go in.

“In my eyes it was unfair and it was something that you just don’t want to see in football.

“Our team was celebrating a goal and we have just about lost out on a league title because of it.

“I started football in and around 1982/83 and it is something I have never seen before and will not ever again, I am speechless.”

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown

On one hand, I wish we could see more like this. Celebrating a goal is pathetic at times.

Would have been funny to see.

Ref must have got a seriously tough time from there.

Schoolboy stuff from syngenta.

Everyone knows and has been repeatedly told from tiny tots, not to do what they did.  You always leave a trailing a slow coach striker or whatever dragging his heals to allow the rest of the team to get set.

You never celebrate like this in your own half as the game can and should restart like this.     Laws are quite clear and the ref was bang on to do what he did.  Otherwise he is delaying the restart and breaching a different law.  Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont etc.

No-one to blame but themselves.

Dafties.

Doesnt stop it hurting if you're a fan though.  

I thought it was funny as .......

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, poggs said:

Everyone knows and has been repeatedly told from tiny tots, not to do what they did.  You always leave a trailing a slow coach striker or whatever dragging his heals to allow the rest of the team to get set.

You never celebrate like this in your own half as the game can and should restart like this.     Laws are quite clear and the ref was bang on to do what he did.  Otherwise he is delaying the restart and breaching a different law.  Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont etc.

Dafties.

from Syngenta??

Hungry hippo
12 minutes ago, poggs said:

Dafties.

You mean Bo'ness but totally agree.

It is basic stuff if you celebrate on your own half you need to make sure someone watches out for it. Have seen a few teams nearly get caught out by it.

Not the refs fault.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

You mean Bo'ness but totally agree.

It is basic stuff if you celebrate on your own half you need to make sure someone watches out for it. Have seen a few teams nearly get caught out by it.

Not the refs fault.

Yeah, the rules are pretty clear, all you have to do is leave one player in the opposition half

Footballfirst

I'm sure that the ref will be supported publicly by the SFA, but lambasted behind closed doors.

skinnybob72
On 10/05/2022 at 09:46, Lfhearts said:

Danny Baur (one of jigs great hopes at Hearts) came off bench for Lithgow, first touch with 5 minutes to go was a headed own goal to give Tranent a draw and leave them needing a win at home in last game to secure league.

He was red carded before HT when I went to watch them play Sauchie a few weeks ago!

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

He was red carded before HT when I went to watch them play Sauchie a few weeks ago!

Was that where there were 2 Lithgae players sent off at the same incident. Baur's was for words to the ref which must have been quite something to earn him a 5 game ban

skinnybob72
9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Was that where there were 2 Lithgae players sent off at the same incident. Baur's was for words to the ref which must have been quite something to earn him a 5 game ban

Yes, I hadn't realised that he had also been red carded until the start of the second half when only 9 Rose players came out! 

part_time_jambo
19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I was unaware of what had happened but having read the following, I can see why there was controversy.

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/irvine-launches-tirade-at-controversial-goal-decision-that-could-have-cost-his-side-the-title-3690442

Irvine launches tirade at controversial goal decision that 'could have cost his side the title'

Bo’ness Athletic boss Willie Irvine admitted he was speechless after watching his team lose out on three points against title rivals Syngenta, due to the referee allowing the hosts to kick-off when his players were in the midst of celebrating going 2-1 up with five minutes to go.

After veteran hitman Andy Rodgers put Gordon Wylde’s side ahead in the second-half, two strikes from 55-goal man Tiwi Daramola put the away side top of the league, and set to pick up three points at Ochilview.

However, while the Bo’ness players celebrations spilled into their own half, referee Richard Macartney allowed the Dyes to kick-off, and they bombarded up the pitch scoring to level the match with just goalkeeper Fraser Currid to beat.

Hamilton Accies loanee Lennon Pirrie slotted home to set up a chaotic ending with Craig Sneddon sent off for Bo’ness for his protestations.

The anger was evident at the full-time whistle with the away sides directors and playing staff livid.

Speaking to the Herald, an incensed Irvine said: “In my 40-odd years in the game I have never witnessed anything like that.

"Imagine if a situation like that had happened at Celtic or Rangers and the referee did that, imagine the fallout. A riot would have occurred, people would have been murdered.

“Half of our players were off the park and he (the referee) has got to identify that both sides were ready to restart the game.

“Imagine if that happened every match, no-one would celebrate near the corner of the pitch because the other team would go up and score.

“It just wouldn’t be done. It was embarrassing.

If we had won our last two games and won this one we would have been up more than likely.

“For the referee to do that when we have dominated the match and could have been two or three up really was something I’ve never saw before.

“Even bringing sportsmanship into it, honestly, if that was me in charge of a side and that happened I would say to my players to let a goal go in.

“In my eyes it was unfair and it was something that you just don’t want to see in football.

“Our team was celebrating a goal and we have just about lost out on a league title because of it.

“I started football in and around 1982/83 and it is something I have never seen before and will not ever again, I am speechless.”

"If we had won our last two games"

Not sure what his point is there. They lost the last two games, home and away to Whitburn, which is irrelevant to what happened at Syngenta. Not the stuff of champions.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

Hope that bigoted old trollop Donald Findlay is hurting tonight.  :jjyay:

Indeed. 😄

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues 2021/2022 - Bonnyrigg Rose promoted to League 2 ( updated )
Footballfirst

Fantastic season for Bonnyrigg.

Tranent made it to the LL Playoffs after beating Jeanfield 2-0 to clinch the EOSFL Premier League. Penicuik also beat Linlithgow 2-1, so only lost out on goal difference.

At the other end of the table, Tynecastle beat Dunbar 7-0 to save themselves and relegate the East Lothian side.  LTHV beat Nitten 3-1 but will now have to wait for the outcome of the LL Playoffs to see if they stay up. 

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Good to see Cowdenbeath drop out.  A nothing club with no fans.

What few fans they had may have drifted the way of Kelty, just up the road, just for some glory hunting.

I think they will only have the one chance at returning to the SPFL, next season, otherwise they will end up going the same way as Berwick Rangers and East Stirlingshire.

I guess that there is also the possibility of them folding, as I can't see them surviving in its present form without their annual SPFL subsidy. 

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

It's a guaranteed extra vote for Rangers B in the Lowland League though 😂

Rick Sanchez
41 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Tranent made it to the LL Playoffs after beating Jeanfield 2-0 to clinch the EOSFL Premier League. Penicuik also beat Linlithgow 2-1, so only lost out on goal difference.

At the other end of the table, Tynecastle beat Dunbar 7-0 to save themselves and relegate the East Lothian side.  LTHV beat Nitten 3-1 but will now have to wait for the outcome of the LL Playoffs to see if they stay up. 

How many ties do Tranent have to negotiate?

frankblack
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

What few fans they had may have drifted the way of Kelty, just up the road, just for some glory hunting.

I think they will only have the one chance at returning to the SPFL, next season, otherwise they will end up going the same way as Berwick Rangers and East Stirlingshire.

I guess that there is also the possibility of them folding, as I can't see them surviving in its present form without their annual SPFL subsidy. 

Didn't they get more income from stock car racing than football - is that still going?

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

You can't go calling people trollops.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

How many ties do Tranent have to negotiate?

Just the two. Its a three way playoff with Darvel and St Cuthbert Wanderers.  I don't think that the draw has been made as yet to see who plays who home or away.

part_time_jambo
28 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Good to see Cowdenbeath drop out.  A nothing club with no fans.

They did start John Murray on his path to Hearts.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Didn't they get more income from stock car racing than football - is that still going?

The only time ive been to their ground was for the stock car racing.

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Just the two. Its a three way playoff with Darvel and St Cuthbert Wanderers.  I don't think that the draw has been made as yet to see who plays who home or away.

Cheers mate 👍

The playoffs are the best thing to happen to Scottish football in the lower leagues.  For years, ambitious clubs were kept down and out of the closed loop system, whilst teams like Brechin, Cowdenbeath, and Berwick Rangers just milled around at the bottom, getting pumped every week, and never getting punished for finishing bottom. 

We now have Bonnyrigg Rose, Kelty Hearts, and Cove Rangers who have all shown that given a fair chance, they are better than the others. It's a breath of fresh air, and the clubs that have come up have shown that they are not just there to make up the numbers. 

Well in Bonnyrigg :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Pleased to see Bonnyrigg get promoted. I dont think they will stay in League Two for long. Also everytime I hear their name I always remember them mentioned on a football podcast I listen to (when they talked about the great names of teams in the first round of the Scottish cup) and Bonnyrigg Rose being described as sounding like a celidh dance, "Next dance is the Bonnyrigg Rose, you need two partners."

davemclaren
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Pleased to see Bonnyrigg get promoted. I dont think they will stay in League Two for long. Also everytime I hear their name I always remember them mentioned on a football podcast I listen to (when they talked about the great names of teams in the first round of the Scottish cup) and Bonnyrigg Rose being described as sounding like a celidh dance, "Next dance is the Bonnyrigg Rose, you need two partners."

There will be dancing in Dundas Street tonight. 😄

I forgot that Edinburgh City also came up through the playoffs. 

Have any of the teams that have been punted down ever actually come back up?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

I don't think they have, I was away looking up East Stirling earlier - they were 6th of 18 in the Lowland League. I tried to look at their website to see what was going on - last updated in 2009!

weegie jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Do they now play Darvel?  my next door neighbour is a big fan of Ayrshire football and has been watching Darvel recently.

39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Only place I've seen online says
21 May Tranent v St Cuthberts
25 May St Cuthberts v Darvel
28 May Darvel v Tranent

Tough for Tranent playing on Cup Final day bound to reduce the home support and needing to travel to the West Champions

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't think they have, I was away looking up East Stirling earlier - they were 6th of 18 in the Lowland League. I tried to look at their website to see what was going on - last updated in 2009!

Just shows you how stagnent the league had been.  Only 1 team moving in each direction, and no relegation playoff from the bottom league meant that it was much the same every single season. The same teams traded places each year, and there was no punishment for being beyond shite. 

Even this season, we're now in a position where the 3rd placed team in the Championship could end up in the Premiership.  There is so much more to play for with the playoffs, and it's a breath of fresh air that we really needed. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

Just shows you how stagnent the league had been.  Only 1 team moving in each direction, and no relegation playoff from the bottom league meant that it was much the same every single season. The same teams traded places each year, and there was no punishment for being beyond shite. 

Even this season, we're now in a position where the 3rd placed team in the Championship could end up in the Premiership.  There is so much more to play for with the playoffs, and it's a breath of fresh air that we really needed. 

Yeah it's great, they'll be dancing in the street of Bonnyrigg tonight!

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Only place I've seen online says
21 May Tranent v St Cuthberts
25 May St Cuthberts v Darvel
28 May Darvel v Tranent

Tough for Tranent playing on Cup Final day bound to reduce the home support and needing to travel to the West Champions

That's a bummer for Tranent. Darvel will also know what they have to do to exceed Tranent's result against St Cuthberts which, if it plays out that way, will give Darvel the luxury of drawing the final playoff tie.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's a bummer for Tranent. Darvel will also know what they have to do to exceed Tranent's result against St Cuthberts which, if it plays out that way, will give Darvel the luxury of drawing the final playoff tie.

I don't know the play off rules but surely they should at least have a penalty shoot out bonus point for a draw otherwise it is loaded in favour.
Anyway don't take that set of fixtures as gospel. My laddie had said it during the week but the only place online confirming it was some Ayrshire Journal

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I don't know the play off rules but surely they should at least have a penalty shoot out bonus point for a draw otherwise it is loaded in favour.
Anyway don't take that set of fixtures as gospel. My laddie had said it during the week but the only place online confirming it was some Ayrshire Journal

I think that you could be right about the bonus point for a drawn game. It is a sensible balancing option when you don't have two legged ties.

The last playoff was the one that saw Bonnyrigg go up, but there were no drawn games.

I think Bo'ness went straight up without a playoff as the SoS didn't have a licensed champion. 

Italian Lambretta
45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There will be dancing in Dundas Street tonight. 😄

What a thought that is them and the Tim's out celebrating🤢

WheatfieldWarrior

Fantastic result for Bonnyrigg and great to see them as a league club now.

I caught the second half and there was really only going to be one winner.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Nope Berwick Brechin East Stirling and Cowdenbeath. 

There will be more teams who bring nothing will go down and never return eventually 

Albion Rovers 

Stranraer

Elgin 

will all eventually follow 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

That's the third playoff in a row won by the non-league team. Teams that have come up so far:

Cove Rangers - Championship next season

Kelty Hearts - League One next season

Edinburgh City - League One next season

Bonnyrigg - League Two obviously but I'm sure they'll do well

None of the teams that have gone down have even made the playoffs in any season since going down. They should really make it 10th going down automatically (replaced by Highland/Lowland League playoff winner) and 9th playing off against the Highland/Lowland League playoff loser. Surely, teams will soon realise that it's incredibly difficult to ever come back up under the current system.

The White Cockade

Delighted for the Rosey Posey!

Been my second team since the early 70’s

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, tian447 said:

The playoffs are the best thing to happen to Scottish football in the lower leagues.  For years, ambitious clubs were kept down and out of the closed loop system, whilst teams like Brechin, Cowdenbeath, and Berwick Rangers just milled around at the bottom, getting pumped every week, and never getting punished for finishing bottom. 

We now have Bonnyrigg Rose, Kelty Hearts, and Cove Rangers who have all shown that given a fair chance, they are better than the others. It's a breath of fresh air, and the clubs that have come up have shown that they are not just there to make up the numbers. 

Well in Bonnyrigg :thumbsup:

To be fair, Cowdenbeath were in the Championship in 2015 and drawing with Rangers.  I think Brechin were in the Championship even more recently than that.  Take note Arbroath!  Once you’re in League 2, one bad managerial appointment / player recruitment and that could be your club gone from the league set up for good. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread