Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rangers B beaten 3-0 tonight by Ayr in the Challenge Cup. 

Quite satisfying really. Makes our B team’s 3-2 loss away at Hamilton look quite decent by comparison.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bought a ticket tonight for the Penicuik V Tranent Scottish Cup first round tie on Saturday.  Should be a good contest between the top two in the EOSFL Premier division.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7709637/celtic-rangers-lowland-league-sfa/

I think the emergence of a real pyramid structure beneath the SPFL has been a true success story over the past couple of years. The pyramid now covers the full country with feeder leagues into the Highland and Lowland Leagues leading to the play-off contender to play "Team 42" in the SPFL.

With a good news story and having done little to help other than get out of the way, the SFA are now looking to blackmail the Lowland League to accept changes that have been overwhelmingly rejected by the clubs involved with the "threat" being that the SFA will withhold agreement on the rule changes that allowed the Lowland League to bring in the Old Firm Colts. That was a huge mis-step by the Lowland League and has ended with the former LL Chairman stepping down earlier this week. Instead of opening up the Lowland League to teams earning their place on merit they instead sold out for a pittance of an offering from the OF.

Quite why the SFA want to break the long established geographical boundary between the geographically titled Highland and Lowland league defies explanation other than for the singular benefit of an over influential former Club chairman.

I know this is relatively small beer in the world of Scottish football but it stinks to high heaven. Quite why the SFA are using their political capital to blackmail such a trivial and petty grievance against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of non league clubs just smacks of favours for friends rather than anything which advances football at all levels in Scotland.

****ING raging!

**** THE SFA

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7709637/celtic-rangers-lowland-league-sfa/

I think the emergence of a real pyramid structure beneath the SPFL has been a true success story over the past couple of years. The pyramid now covers the full country with feeder leagues into the Highland and Lowland Leagues leading to the play-off contender to play "Team 42" in the SPFL.

With a good news story and having done little to help other than get out of the way, the SFA are now looking to blackmail the Lowland League to accept changes that have been overwhelmingly rejected by the clubs involved with the "threat" being that the SFA will withhold agreement on the rule changes that allowed the Lowland League to bring in the Old Firm Colts. That was a huge mis-step by the Lowland League and has ended with the former LL Chairman stepping down earlier this week. Instead of opening up the Lowland League to teams earning their place on merit they instead sold out for a pittance of an offering from the OF.

Quite why the SFA want to break the long established geographical boundary between the geographically titled Highland and Lowland league defies explanation other than for the singular benefit of an over influential former Club chairman.

I know this is relatively small beer in the world of Scottish football but it stinks to high heaven. Quite why the SFA are using their political capital to blackmail such a trivial and petty grievance against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of non league clubs just smacks of favours for friends rather than anything which advances football at all levels in Scotland.

****ING raging!

**** THE SFA

Not sure why they are so eager to change the geographical line  

The Sun is following The Mail in covering this issue.

But no one is asking questions with any vigour. This to me is a symptom of the same problems that led to relegating Hearts and Partick. 

On 14/09/2021 at 23:45, Footballfirst said:

Bought a ticket tonight for the Penicuik V Tranent Scottish Cup first round tie on Saturday.  Should be a good contest between the top two in the EOSFL Premier division.

Not quite the classic we all hoped for , nonetheless was delighted with the result. Based on Penicuick's performance on their own pitch I think Tranent will win the EOS Premier League. 

Looking forward to the 2nd round draw tomorrow.

Further down the leagues I caught the second half of Edinburgh Utd v St Andrew’s today and saw the goal of the season. 

Centre back strides forward and pings one in from 35 yards. Scenes! 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Not quite the classic we all hoped for , nonetheless was delighted with the result. Based on Penicuick's performance on their own pitch I think Tranent will win the EOS Premier League. 

Looking forward to the 2nd round draw tomorrow.

It wasn't great, but once Tranent equalised on the stroke of HT they looked the stronger outfit and won comfortably in the end.

In other games the best performances came in the Highlands with Sauchie, Dunipace and Preston all recording good wins against Tier 5 sides.

Tomorrow's draw includes the League 2 sides plus the first round winners. All the replays are next Saturday

Friday

East Stirling 3-0 Fort William

Cumbernauld Colts 1-1 Buckie Thistle

Saturday

Banks O’Dee 1-0 Turriff United
Blackburn United 1-2 Rothes
Brechin City 5-0 Vale of Leithen
Broomhill 6-0 Glasgow University
Caledonian Braves 0-1 University of Stirling
Clachnacuddin 1-2 Dunipace
Clydebank 7-0 Dalkeith Thistle
Coldstream 1-10 East Kilbride
Deveronvale 2-2 Haddington Athletic
Dunbar United 2-0 Camelon
Formartine United 2-2 Cumnock
Forres Mechanics 0-2 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Fraserburgh 1-2 Sauchie Juniors
Golspie Sutherland 0-3 Civil Service Strollers
Huntly 3-0 Hill of Beath Hawthorn
Inverurie Loco Works 0-3 Jeanfield Swifts
Irvine Meadow XI 1-3 Auchinleck Talbot
Keith 1-2 Darvel
Lossiemouth 0-3 Preston Athletic
Nairn County 4-0 Strathspey Thistle
Newtongrange Star 1-1 Dalbeattie Star
Penicuik Athletic 1-3 Tranent Juniors
Spartans 0-1 Gala Fairydean Rovers
Tynecastle 0-6 Brora Rangers
Wick Academy 2-2 Bo’ness United
Wigtown & Bladnoch 0-8 St Cuthbert Wanderers

Sunday

LTHV v Edinburgh University

Monday

Berwick Rangers v Gretna 2008

Edited by Footballfirst

Scottish Cup Round 2 draw: 

The Albion Rovers manager will be aghast at the bus fare to Brora.

Some good ties across the tiers. Clydebank v Elgin would be my choice for the televised game.

Annan Athletic v Jeanfield Swifts
Banks o'Dee v Nairn County
Berwick Rangers/Gretna 2008 v Stirling Albion
Brechin City v Haddington Athletic/Deveronvale
Brora Rangers v Albion Rovers
Broomhill v Tranent

Cowdenbeath v Civil Service Strollers
Clydebank v Elgin City
Cumnock/Formartine United v Forfar Athletic
Dalbeattie Star/Newtongrange Star v Rothes
Dunbar United v Lothian Thistle HV/Edinburgh University
East Kilbride v University of Stirling
East Stirlingshire v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Edinburgh City v Bo'ness United/Wick Academy
Kelty Hearts v Buckie Thistle/Cumbernauld Colts
Preston Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

St Cuthbert Wanderers v Gala Fairydean Rovers
Sauchie v Dunipace
Stenhousemuir v Huntly

Stranraer v Darvel

38 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scottish Cup Round 2 draw: 

The Albion Rovers manager will be aghast at the bus fare to Brora.

Some good ties across the tiers. Clydebank v Elgin would be my choice for the televised game.

Annan Athletic v Jeanfield Swifts
Banks o'Dee v Nairn County
Berwick Rangers/Gretna 2008 v Stirling Albion
Brechin City v Haddington Athletic/Deveronvale
Brora Rangers v Albion Rovers
Broomhill v Tranent

Cowdenbeath v Civil Service Strollers
Clydebank v Elgin City
Cumnock/Formartine United v Forfar Athletic
Dalbeattie Star/Newtongrange Star v Rothes
Dunbar United v Lothian Thistle HV/Edinburgh University
East Kilbride v University of Stirling
East Stirlingshire v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Edinburgh City v Bo'ness United/Wick Academy
Kelty Hearts v Buckie Thistle/Cumbernauld Colts
Preston Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

St Cuthbert Wanderers v Gala Fairydean Rovers
Sauchie v Dunipace
Stenhousemuir v Huntly

Stranraer v Darvel

Reckon if Bo'ness get past Wick, I'll be at their game. Workmate of mine from Bo'ness originally but has developed a soft spot for City over the past few seasons. Could be a good day out.

Wonder what they'll do with that Bo'ness vs Wick tie. Only 32 minutes left when it got abandoned, with the home side 4-2 up. If the SFA are only looking to replay the final third of the game, I can't imagine Wick would be too pleased about having to fork out on a trip all the way down again. Not suggesting they'd just concede the tie, but wonder if there will be a bit of discussion on that one.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Wonder what they'll do with that Bo'ness vs Wick tie. Only 32 minutes left when it got abandoned, with the home side 4-2 up. If the SFA are only looking to replay the final third of the game, I can't imagine Wick would be too pleased about having to fork out on a trip all the way down again. Not suggesting they'd just concede the tie, but wonder if there will be a bit of discussion on that one.

What was the reason for the abandonment?

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

What was the reason for the abandonment?

Wick player apparently went in for a shocker of a challenge on a Bo'ness lad. Can only assume it was a leg breaker as ambulance called the lot.

Great result for Haddington today in there Scottish cup replay looking at those results. Really young team and starting to take real steps forward as a club with a really good infrastructure in place.

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

I can tell you the football people in the town are absolutely buzzing mate 

Brilliant love the set up what gala have down there 👌

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, graham said:

Brilliant love the set up what gala have down there 👌

We’re getting there slowly mate, might be a league club at some point but not for a while yet I reckon due to the new set up. 

Good to see that Bo'ness managed to beat Wick 4-1 tonight at the third attempt.  Wick did manage to get a player sent off this time, although Bo'ness was already 3-0 up at the time.  Ex Hearts youth player Ryan Stevenson scored the 4th from the penalty spot.

They are away to Edinburgh City in the 2nd round.

Fxxx the SPFL

Vale of Leithen 0-7 Bonnyrigg Rose that was half time now 0-11 after 70 minutes end of the road for them

24 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Vale of Leithen 0-7 Bonnyrigg Rose that was half time now 0-11 after 70 minutes end of the road for them

Jings. 

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Jings. 

Finished 0-13 Vale will fold b4 end of season at this rate 

Vale have a goal difference of -80 after 14 games, all losses with 5 goals scored. 

they’ve been pretty much the whipping boys for a couple of seasons now, and assuming they stick out the season, will definitely be relegated.

massive respect for the players and coaches for keeping going and turning up. 

Gorgie_Rules

Spartans v Bonnyirigg on saturday should be a good game.

Not sure if the clubs are in control of the kick off time, but a 3pm kick off is pretty close to the 5pm Scotland game.

A 1pm kick off with Hearts and Hibs both not in action could see a decent crowd

6 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Vale have a goal difference of -80 after 14 games, all losses with 5 goals scored. 

they’ve been pretty much the whipping boys for a couple of seasons now, and assuming they stick out the season, will definitely be relegated.

massive respect for the players and coaches for keeping going and turning up. 

I saw them play Pumpherston a few weeks back in a local cup competition. Pumpherston are in the lowest league and are mid to bottom in that league. It was an understrength Pumpherston too. Pumpherston 5-1 Vale of Leithen. If they get relegated to the East Premier then it will be another season as the whipping boys.
I understand your point about "massive respect" but tbh it would have been more sensible if they had asked to withdraw from the Lowland League and enter at the bottom tier and allow one of the many teams that could properly compete at Tier 5 to take their place. There is a huge logjam with the addition of fully SFA licensed former Junior sides into the pyramid below the Lowland League.

28 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Spartans v Bonnyirigg on saturday should be a good game.

Not sure if the clubs are in control of the kick off time, but a 3pm kick off is pretty close to the 5pm Scotland game.

A 1pm kick off with Hearts and Hibs both not in action could see a decent crowd

Top of the league clash 

IMG_20211006_230948.jpg

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Finished 0-13 Vale will fold b4 end of season at this rate 

Bonnyrigg missed a penalty just after half time as well

Footballfirst

I made a late decision to go to a game tonight. I was considering going down to Innerleithen of the VOL v Bonnyrigg game, as its a nice drive during the day if the weather is decent. However, as it was an evening kick-off I ended up going to Blackburn v Musselburgh.  It was a niggly affair with lots of moaning by the players, and not the greatest game as a result. The game finished 2-2 with some decent goals, so it wasn't a wasted trip.  

Niemi’s gloves
24 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I saw them play Pumpherston a few weeks back in a local cup competition. Pumpherston are in the lowest league and are mid to bottom in that league. It was an understrength Pumpherston too. Pumpherston 5-1 Vale of Leithen. If they get relegated to the East Premier then it will be another season as the whipping boys.
I understand your point about "massive respect" but tbh it would have been more sensible if they had asked to withdraw from the Lowland League and enter at the bottom tier and allow one of the many teams that could properly compete at Tier 5 to take their place. There is a huge logjam with the addition of fully SFA licensed former Junior sides into the pyramid below the Lowland League.

Back in March, Vale issued a statement complaining mightily about the Lowland League being declared on a ppg basis rather than declared null and void (which allowed Kelty to compete successfully in the promotion play off but put Vale at risk of being demoted). That statement looks ridiculous now. Basically they’ve been awful for three successive seasons but have refused to accept reality.

I assume they don’t have the same financial issues that put Selkirk out of business a couple of years ago. But they’d be better to volunteer for a double or even triple relegation at the end of the season rather than face further humiliation in the premier league of the EoSL next year. 

Footballfirst

VOL has now recorded 34 consecutive defeats (since a 3-1 win over Gala FR in 2019)

"Goals for" 16,  "goals against" 179.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I made a late decision to go to a game tonight. I was considering going down to Innerleithen of the VOL v Bonnyrigg game, as its a nice drive during the day if the weather is decent. However, as it was an evening kick-off I ended up going to Blackburn v Musselburgh.  It was a niggly affair with lots of moaning by the players, and not the greatest game as a result. The game finished 2-2 with some decent goals, so it wasn't a wasted trip.  

It's a more regular venue for me as my laddie plays. I think the ref was open to being influenced which encouraged players to moan a bit  more tbh. The Blackburn players had plenty to moan abut with the penalty claim in the second half where the goalie just bundled the striker over. Anyway, a valuable point and bring on Linlithgow at the weekend 🙂

Niemi’s gloves
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

VOL has now recorded 34 consecutive defeats (since a 3-1 win over Gala FR in 2019)

"Goals for" 16,  "goals against" 179.

Ironically, 3 of the goals for were as recently as Saturday in a 3-6 defeat to Stirling Uni. I guess that for four days they may have thought things were getting better ………..

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I made the trip down to Innerleithen. Had a feeling Bonnyrigg would score a few but obviously not as many as 13

Lowland League's biggest ever win

20211006_234507.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Footballfirst

I have my doubts if Brechin will win the HL this season and earn a chance to get back into the SPFL.  They lost 2-1 to second place Inverurie Locos tonight, while league leaders Fraserburgh beat Lossimouth 6-1. 

Brechin remains in 3rd place but 12 points behind Fraserburgh, albeit with two games in hand.

Niemi’s gloves

On the positive side, it was good to see that Celtic B got beaten by Spartans; and also good to see that Sean Docherty got another starting run out for Gala Fairydean, something like his fourth or fifth game in a row for them. Better in my view to be getting games on loan in the Lowland League rather than benchwarming in League 2 as Leo Watson seems to be doing at Stirling Albion. 

Maroon Sailor

Spartans v Bonnyrigg could be some match. Just a pity it's the drastic plastic pitch at Ainslie Park

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I have my doubts if Brechin will win the HL this season and earn a chance to get back into the SPFL.  They lost 2-1 to second place Inverurie Locos tonight, while league leaders Fraserburgh beat Lossimouth 6-1. 

Brechin remains in 3rd place but 12 points behind Fraserburgh, albeit with two games in hand.

I noticed that Kevin McHattie signed for Brechin almost a month ago but has yet to appear even on the bench for them. Maybe they have him on a “pay per play” deal and are working on getting him up to full fitness. Obviously, I hope it works out for Kevin given his injury issues over the years.

Fxxx the SPFL
12 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I noticed that Kevin McHattie signed for Brechin almost a month ago but has yet to appear even on the bench for them. Maybe they have him on a “pay per play” deal and are working on getting him up to full fitness. Obviously, I hope it works out for Kevin given his injury issues over the years.

did somebody not mention on here that he is basically finished now due to injuries

16 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I assume they don’t have the same financial issues that put Selkirk out of business a couple of years ago. But they’d be better to volunteer for a double or even triple relegation at the end of the season rather than face further humiliation in the premier league of the EoSL next year. 

Seen this on P&B which seems to answer the question 👍

To clarify the situation with the Vale, there is no chance of them folding.

Club is in a fairly healthy situation with the new lights and the pitch treated to try and eliminate the drainage problems.

Plus, good local sponsors. 

Everyone knows that the last few seasons have been hard and mistakes have been made, both on and off the park, but the committee and manager have been working hard recently behind the scenes to try and resolve the situation. 

The first stage in the recovery will be advertising the position of a first team coach to take charge of the team, any person with the relevant coaching badges can apply by contacting the Chairman, Stuart Robertson.

The aim of the club is to start competing again in the LL for the rest of the season and hopefully getting a bit of respect back.

Hopefully this explains where the club are at present, and also reassures PB members who have a soft spot for the Vale that we will still be about in future.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Seen this on P&B which seems to answer the question 👍

From what I seen last night the defence and goalkeeper are hopeless. They don't look fit or athletic in any shape or form and their lack of awareness was ridiculous.

They'll need to address that as soon as possible before they can even think about competing again.

Good to see that they are pretty stable off the pitch though.

tolcross lad
19 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

On the positive side, it was good to see that Celtic B got beaten by Spartans; and also good to see that Sean Docherty got another starting run out for Gala Fairydean, something like his fourth or fifth game in a row for them. Better in my view to be getting games on loan in the Lowland League rather than benchwarming in League 2 as Leo Watson seems to be doing at Stirling Albion. 

Celtic had 8 players on international duty so Spartans got them at the right time.Indeed Spartans have them at home

when international duty rears its head again.

Good for Spartans Not so good for the other teams who are title challengers.

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread