Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The fixtures for the Lowland League have been published with Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness being given the short straws of facing Celtic and Rangers B teams in the opening round of fixtures on 17 July.  I will probably limit my visits to LL grounds this season to those who voted against the admission of B teams (Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness, CSS, Edin Uni, Dalbeattie), as my own personal protest.

Rangers are playing their home games at Dumbarton and Celtic at Airdrie.    

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stranraer?

Just see something about them being in a play off place. People were complaining back in May Rangers and Celtic were getting in in front of them.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Stranraer?

Just see something about them being in a play off place. People were complaining back in May Rangers and Celtic were getting in in front of them.

It’s just telling you that EK have a premier sports cup (aka league cup) game that day against Division 2 Stranraer. It confused me for a couple of minutes.

Footballfirst

I'm planning to watch a couple of the Bonnyrigg friendlies (Edinburgh City on 29/6 and Hearts on 7/7), but I think that they have missed their best chance of winning the league as their squad looks a bit weaker this time around.  I would make East Kilbride or BSC favourites this season. 

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The fixtures for the Lowland League have been published with Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness being given the short straws of facing Celtic and Rangers B teams in the opening round of fixtures on 17 July.  I will probably limit my visits to LL grounds this season to those who voted against the admission of B teams (Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness, CSS, Edin Uni, Dalbeattie), as my own personal protest.

Rangers are playing their home games at Dumbarton and Celtic at Airdrie.    

Where’s Spartans ? Stranraer ? 

just noticed the premier sports cup game hence Spartans having free week must of been due to play EK 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

LarrysRightFoot

I’ve said before- I’m for Colt teams and I really hope we get involved. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be given a chance. You have clubs such as ourselves spending a lot of money on academy players - I think this offers the perfect bridge between that and the first team without going out on loan. 

IMO it should be incorporated into a shake up or Scottish football. I’d go 2 National leagues with regional pyramids below. 

Footballfirst

The SFA shows its usual intransigence when it comes to accommodating quite reasonable suggestions.

This was requested to allow players who were registered as U20s for last season to catch up on their lost year of development, by playing in this season's U20 league as U21s.

Edited by Footballfirst

The Treasurer
45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The SFA shows its usual intransigence when it comes to accommodating quite reasonable suggestions.

This was requested to allow players who were registered as U20s for last season to catch up on their lost year of development, by playing in this season's U20 league as U21s.

Totally reasonable request and totally unreasonable response from the blickered GFA 

Footballfirst

Hibs linking up with CSS could be a way of them getting their youths similar experience to the OF B Teams.

Their last link up with Spartans didn't work out too well though.

John Findlay
48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hibs linking up with CSS could be a way of them getting their youths similar experience to the OF B Teams.

Their last link up with Spartans didn't work out too well though.

Yes, their link up with Spartans was a disaster.

Footballfirst

Looks like the remaining ERJFA clubs (in Tayside) have had the Midland League approved for next season.  It should be a feeder to the HL (as long as clubs are licensed).  The ERJFA issued a tweet with this logo, which has now been deleted.

The Treasurer

If the latest OF colts scam goes through they may as well scrap the idea of a pyramid system 

Footballfirst

BSC Glasgow of the LL has changed its name to Broomhill FC, to avoid confusion through its original connections to Broomhill Sports Club which itself is a new club in the WOSFL.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

BSC Glasgow of the LL has changed its name to Broomhill FC, to avoid confusion through its original connections to Broomhill Sports Club which itself is a new club in the WOSFL.

?????  👀

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

?????  👀

The problem was created by the original Broomhill Sports Club in Glasgow applying to join the WOSFL.  That created the naming issue with Lowland League side BSC Glasgow already being in the pyramid. BSC had already morphed out of Broomhill Sports Club but needed a licensed ground to play in the LL, so moved to Alloa. 

In order to resolve the problem, the LL side decided to server all links with the Sports Club and to confusingly rename itself as Broomhill FC in order to maintain its connection with its origins in Glasgow, where it hopes to return at some point in the future.

A similar thing happened with LL side Bo'ness United.  The recently formed Bo'ness United Juniors who played in the junior league last season successfully applied to join the senior ranks in the EOSFL for this season, so have changed their name to Bo'ness Athletic to avoid confusion with the LL side.

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The Pyramid seems to be giving us more Senior clubs when we really need many fewer.

What we need is promotion and relegation to allow ambitious clubs to prosper. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

The Pyramid seems to be giving us more Senior clubs when we really need many fewer.

The more clubs under the same banner of the pyramid the better as far as I'm concerned.  Why should you have 150 clubs under the junior banner and 150 under the senior banner, when you can have 300 within the same structure.

It should provide a meritorious pathway for ambitious sides and allow clubs to find their level, rather than maintaining clubs at an artificially high level, just because they have been SPFL/SPL/SFL clubs for decades.

The LL and HL aren't full of clubs who see themselves in the top tier, but there are clubs at tiers 5, 6 and 7 who could have the resources to progress to tier 3 or 4.  They should have the ability and opportunity to make those step ups.

I'm in favour of the top two leagues being predominately full time with perhaps one national league below it, then regionalised below that. I think that fluidity between the leagues is a good thing that should be encouraged.

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The more clubs under the same banner of the pyramid the better as far as I'm concerned.  Why should you have 150 clubs under the junior banner and 150 under the senior banner, when you can have 300 within the same structure.

It should provide a meritorious pathway for ambitious sides and allow clubs to find their level, rather than maintaining clubs at an artificially high level, just because they have been SPFL/SPL/SFL clubs for decades.

The LL and HL aren't full of clubs who see themselves in the top tier, but there are clubs at tiers 5, 6 and 7 who could have the resources to progress to tier 3 or 4.  They should have the ability and opportunity to make those step ups.

I'm in favour of the top two leagues being predominately full time with perhaps one national league below it, then regionalised below that. I think that fluidity between the leagues is a good thing that should be encouraged.

Absolutely. There is no benefit in teams being in a completely separate system. If anyone was setting up Scottish football from scratch there is no way anyone would create the junior and senior system.

There is no drawback to all clubs being within the same pyramid other than the tradition and history of junior football but it is time to move on.

Footballfirst

Confirmation of northern pyramid leagues at tier 6 below the Highland League (formerly North Caledonian League, North Juniors and the East Juniors from Tayside)  

Disappointing though, that the HL only seems prepared to offer a single play-off place for entry to the HL, when the HL currently has 18 teams.

Edited by Footballfirst

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Where next?

They'll just try again next season, aided by the board of the SPFL.

Footballfirst

Its's started already with the OF colts dictating when they can play, or not, in the LL.

Next week’s scheduled away fixture against Celtic B - due to take place on Wednesday, July 21 - has been postponed. Supporters will be notified of the new fixture date as soon as it has been arranged.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Its's started already with the OF colts dictating when they can play, or not, in the LL.

Next week’s scheduled away fixture against Celtic B - due to take place on Wednesday, July 21 - has been postponed. Supporters will be notified of the new fixture date as soon as it has been arranged.

Ridiculous, if that’s the case. 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ridiculous, if that’s the case. 

I suspect that it's their ground share agreement with Airdrie who may be playing at home the same night.  They should just award Berwick a 3-0 win.  Failing that, just empty Celtic out the league.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I suspect that it's their ground share agreement with Airdrie who may be playing at home the same night.  They should just award Berwick a 3-0 win.  Failing that, just empty Celtic out the league.

Absolutely. 

Alec Eiffel

Conference X for me this season.   Majority of games in West Lothian or close to.   It means I can attend most games with minimal travel involved.

Footballfirst

I watched the Bonnyrigg v Celtic B game at New Dundas Park today.

Well played and a deserved 2-1 win for Bonnyrigg . They should have been out of sight by HT, completely dominating the half. Other than Currie's well hit strike for his goal, Rose hit the post twice and the ref bottled a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity by only showing a yellow card.  Rose went 2-0 up early in the second half, then Celtic got the glimmer of a chance when Rose switched off at the back post from a swinging free kick and it was game on at 2-1.

Only then did Celtic start to dominate possession as Rose tired in the heat.  However Rose were able to safely see it out without too many alarms.

None of the top LL sides should fear playing the "B sides".  Those in today's B team were not the best of Celtic's youngsters at U20.  I'd expect both Celtic and Rangers best U20s to be playing on loan at a higher level than tier 5.  

Rangers B beat Bo'ness 2-0.  Looking at their match day squad today, Rangers B looks the stronger of the B teams

HartleyLegend3
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I watched the Bonnyrigg v Celtic B game at New Dundas Park today.

Well played and a deserved 2-1 win for Bonnyrigg . They should have been out of sight by HT, completely dominating the half. Other than Currie's well hit strike for his goal, Rose hit the post twice and the ref bottled a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity by only showing a yellow card.  Rose went 2-0 up early in the second half, then Celtic got the glimmer of a chance when Rose switched off at the back post from a swinging free kick and it was game on at 2-1.

Only then did Celtic start to dominate possession as Rose tired in the heat.  However Rose were able to safely see it out without too many alarms.

None of the top LL sides should fear playing the "B sides".  Those in today's B team were not the best of Celtic's youngsters at U20.  I'd expect both Celtic and Rangers best U20s to be playing on loan at a higher level than tier 5.  

Rangers B beat Bo'ness 2-0.  Looking at their match day squad today, Rangers B looks the stronger of the B teams

I read somewhere Celtic B had a couple of players missing as they were with the main team. 

I agree with that assessment, men against boys first half. They came more into it the second.  It was so hot and must have taken its toll on the Rose players. 

Having the old firm teams playing in the lowland league is only going to benefit the old firm. Toughen up their young players and spur them on to first team football. 

Perth to Paisley

I understand that the league authorities have refused Berwick's request for the points for the game cancelled by Celtic.

Even when their point total is largely irrelevant the SPFL dont have the balls to punish them!

Hungry hippo
11 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

I understand that the league authorities have refused Berwick's request for the points for the game cancelled by Celtic.

Even when their point total is largely irrelevant the SPFL dont have the balls to punish them!

Was it postponed due to the groundshare as FF suspected earlierinthe thread?

Hungry hippo
3 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Yes...

Celtic's nominated home ground was being used by their 'host'.

Shameful

Thanks for confirming. I find it weird that they couldn't have just moved it to the Sunday or even Friday night if that was also already booked.

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Yes...

Celtic's nominated home ground was being used by their 'host'.

Shameful

I assumed they had fecked off to Dubai on a jolly.

Took a wee trip along to Olivebank tonight to watch Musselburgh beat Sauchie 2-0. Didn't realise their captain was ex-Hearts youth Mathu King.

Mussy look a decent team and play some lovely football at times, but a bit shaky at the back. 4 points out of 6 is a decent start, but just realised how difficult it is to climb higher. Only the league winners get a crack at promotion if they meet SFA criteria, which only Crossgates and Inverkeithing in that league don't. Then they have to face off against the WoS and SoS league winners just to have a crack. Can see the LL being very West influenced in 3-5 years. Bit of a glass ceiling for EoS and SoS clubs I'd say, although more EoS clubs stand a chance.

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, Locky said:

Took a wee trip along to Olivebank tonight to watch Musselburgh beat Sauchie 2-0. Didn't realise their captain was ex-Hearts youth Mathu King.

Mussy look a decent team and play some lovely football at times, but a bit shaky at the back. 4 points out of 6 is a decent start, but just realised how difficult it is to climb higher. Only the league winners get a crack at promotion if they meet SFA criteria, which only Crossgates and Inverkeithing in that league don't. Then they have to face off against the WoS and SoS league winners just to have a crack. Can see the LL being very West influenced in 3-5 years. Bit of a glass ceiling for EoS and SoS clubs I'd say, although more EoS clubs stand a chance.

I was at Penicuik to see them beat Crossgates 1-0. There wasn't that much between the two sides. The home side scored early on but with a bit of luck and decent defending managed to avoid conceding. Robbie Neave was voted their MOTM. He was also on Hearts books for a short time.

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I was at Penicuik to see them beat Crossgates 1-0. There wasn't that much between the two sides. The home side scored early on but with a bit of luck and decent defending managed to avoid conceding. Robbie Neave was voted their MOTM. He was also on Hearts books for a short time.

I think Musselburgh are at home to Crossgates on Saturday. Might try and go along if I can. My best hope for watching Mussy will be midweek games which with the new floodlights is far more possible. Quite a few Tuesday night home games pencilled in that I'm looking forward to. Next one is actually against Penicuik on the 31st August which should be a cracker.

Same with the game last night, not a lot between the 2 sides. Sauchie I feel had more of the chances but Mussy just a wee bit more clinical. Think that's going to be a very tight league this season.

Ron Burgundy

I went to Ferguson Park to watch Whitehill v Camelon.

3-4 in a game that Whitehill should have won as they drew level at 2-2 then Camelon had a man sent off.

Was great sitting in the sun with a beer watching a game.

Might try and get  along to Haddington v Arniston tonight.

Watched Civil Service Strollers 3-2 Edinburgh Uni

Enjoyable game, Civil had more quality in the end but the uni played the right way. Took their goals well (2nd a mistake from the Civil GK) CSS goals from a pen and 2 corners 

decent value for £7 

Footballfirst
50 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Ex Jambo Joe Hamill has left Haddington Athletic to take over as manager of Musselburgh Athletic
I saw him play a couple of years back when he was player manager at Haddington and he played (very well!) as a sweeper.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ex-hearts-star-joe-hamill-makes-managerial-move-3320873

There are a number of Jambo youth connections with both Haddington and Musselburgh. The two youngest of the four "King" brothers Ross & Robbie (Billy & Adam being the elders), Shaun Hill and Gabri Auriemma are at Haddington, while at 'Burgh are Mattu King, Bradley Whyte and Jordan Orru

Edited by Footballfirst

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread