Christian Eriksen - in stable condition (title updated)

Jeff

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

That is a nice way to spin it. I hope it does too. Should be mandatory in more than 1 or 2 in workplaces. Ideal world taught in schools etc. We used to offer it to our staff free of charge and they still couldn’t be arsed to do it. 

Don't get me wrong, it's was a horrible watch. As soon as I glanced over and seen he was out of the recovery position and caught sight of the chest compressions starting I was in shock. Like others I continued to watch in the hope we would see a recovery, and partly as a trained First Aider to watch techniques and reassure my Danish Mrs who was in floods of tears. 

The stark realities of CPR were laid bare for all to see tonight, and I hope it shines a light for people to make a call on whether they feel they could step up to do it if they ever found themselves in a similar situation. The thing is, there is no shame in not being able to. Its the difference in what you see on TV vs the real situation where the actual physicality of it all becomes an issue ( your adrenalin, size of casualty, the effort required to perform 30 compressions continuously, etc). 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• best in the land

• Footballfirst

• Pasquale for King

• jack D and coke

3 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

I disagree. I believe UEFA have a duty of care to the players who had just witnessed an incredibly traumatic event and weren't fit to play (IMHO). Similar to head knocks, sometimes decisions need to be made which overrule the wants of the players.

Again, it's my opinion.

I take a different view. If he had not been resuscitated then undoubtedly the match would have been abandoned. There would then have been a huge stigma hanging over the fixture even if replayed in a few days time. As it was, I have no doubt that, with the encouraging news from the hospital UEFA agreed, in combination with the players, managers, & FAs of the two countries to play out the last 50 mins given that rescheduling would be problematic. Sometimes strength is needed in making tough decisions. 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I take a different view. If he had not been resuscitated then undoubtedly the match would have been abandoned. There would then have been a huge stigma hanging over the fixture even if replayed in a few days time. As it was, I have no doubt that, with the encouraging news from the hospital UEFA agreed, in combination with the players, managers, & FAs of the two countries to play out the last 50 mins given that rescheduling would be problematic. Sometimes strength is needed in making tough decisions. 

Fair enough. I can see both sides.

Just shows how fragile life is, just seconds before he's chasing after a ball then he's on the deck getting CPR. This is a guy who is a elite athlete too.  Best wishes to him and his family.

IveSeenTheLight
58 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Don't get me wrong, it's was a horrible watch. As soon as I glanced over and seen he was out of the recovery position and caught sight of the chest compressions starting I was in shock. Like others I continued to watch in the hope we would see a recovery, and partly as a trained First Aider to watch techniques and reassure my Danish Mrs who was in floods of tears. 

The stark realities of CPR were laid bare for all to see tonight, and I hope it shines a light for people to make a call on whether they feel they could step up to do it if they ever found themselves in a similar situation. The thing is, there is no shame in not being able to. Its the difference in what you see on TV vs the real situation where the actual physicality of it all becomes an issue ( your adrenalin, size of casualty, the effort required to perform 30 compressions continuously, etc). 

I’m a trained first aider, although fortunately never had to apply CPR for real.

Although shocking to see for a lot of people, it did depict that quite a bit of force is needed when applying the chest compression.

You didn’t actually see the chest compressions on the TV although it was evident by his legs moving.

So glad he was resuscitated and appears to be on the mend

11 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I’m a trained first aider, although fortunately never had to apply CPR for real.

Although shocking to see for a lot of people, it did depict that quite a bit of force is needed when applying the chest compression.

You didn’t actually see the chest compressions on the TV although it was evident by his legs moving.

You saw it on my TV. The really shocking bit was when they players had put him in the recovery position and you saw his eyes open and defocussed...I don't object to seeing it though, as they probably don't have protocols for that situation, unlike streakers and nasty fractures like Haaland snr and Larsson suffered...What was pleasing was that when they showed fans, none of them were live-streaming. Not so confident that would be the case in the UK

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Glad I missed this and thank god it looks like he is recovering well.

What surprises me is with all the kit these guys are plugged into at training that underlying heart conditions aren’t picked up in the data.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

30 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You saw it on my TV. The really shocking bit was when they players had put him in the recovery position and you saw his eyes open and defocussed...I don't object to seeing it though, as they probably don't have protocols for that situation, unlike streakers and nasty fractures like Haaland snr and Larsson suffered...What was pleasing was that when they showed fans, none of them were live-streaming. Not so confident that would be the case in the UK

Yup, on my TV too, unless I was mentally filling in the blanks without realising it.

I don't object to the BBC carrying on transmitting either. I don't want to be kept in the dark. What I felt uneasy with was the focussing in on individual shocked Danish fans for what felt like long periods of time and particularly focussing in on Eriksen's wife. I actually agree with Lineker for once that they should have showed a pan image of the whole stadium so that we knew what was roughly going on without focussing on the specifics. I certainly don't think we should be mounting a witch hunt against the BBC. Everyone was in shock at what happened, and that includes the programme director I imagine, so even if some folk think that they should have ended transmission, they should cut the Beeb some slack on this one, imo.

10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What surprises me is with all the kit these guys are plugged into at training that underlying heart conditions aren’t picked up in the data.

Indeed, that surprised me too. I don't know if it has been mentioned in the thread yet, but what if Eriksen had Covid at one point without realising it and it affected his heart. It is not unknown for viruses to cause myocarditis which could have been missed. On the other hand, with the amount of Covid testing that players undergo, it would be surprising if any infection were overlooked.

This game should not have been finished tonight the Danish team would never had there minds on the out come of this game

Danish manager said in his post match presser that they were given the option of resuming tonight or tomorrow at noon. The players, having been reassured of Eriksen's condition, just wanted to get it out of the way and didn't want to have a sleepness night tonight worrying about their mate then have to play an early game tomorrow so I get why they went with that option. Maybe a bit harsh for UEFA to give them such limited options but scheduling it in at any other time would likely have been a nightmare. 

Edited by Jamboross

4 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Danish manager said in his post match presser that they were given the option of resuming tonight or tomorrow at noon. The players, having been reassured of Eriksen's condition, just wanted to get it out of the way and didn't want to have a sleepness night tonight worrying about their mate then have to play an early game tomorrow so I get why they went with that option. Maybe a bit harsh for UEFA to give them such limited options but scheduling it in at any other time would likely have been a nightmare. 

Awarding one point to each team would've been the correct option. Having those lads play after that was a bit shite. The Danes were in no frame of mind to fully concentrate and have ended up beaten. 

Hopefully CE makes a full recovery and can now enjoy his retirement from football with his family.

Football doesn't really matter when things like this happen and Uefa should have acknowledged this by rubber stamping a 0-0 draw. 

11 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Well said sir

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

This is being talked about on the radio and on TV. How has this been missed?

Just a thought here and I am sure we will be told in the coming weeks. 

Is it not possible that his Heart may be fine but his brain perhaps stopped sending information to keep his Heart beating.

Captain Lithuania

Obviously I don’t know the guy and never will but to know he’s on his way to recovering is such a huge relief. It really puts football in to perspective. 

I, like many others watched that unfold in complete shock and horror. You don’t expect to sit and watch a game of football and something like that happens. I was on the beers looking forward to all the games yesterday. Couldn’t drink anymore after that. 

Thankfully, he is recovering. Best wishes to Eriksen, his family and all connected with the Danish FA. 

ford donald
12 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Anywhere else and he might not have made it,medical experts on the scene quickly,got him breathing again,saved his life,no doubt about it.

jack D and coke
12 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

You did see the chest compressions. That’s when I got pretty upset tbh. I honestly thought that was it and he was gone. 
I’m not sure I could’ve really watched or enjoyed much of the euros at all had that happened tbh. 
Thank god he seems to be ok. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Captain Lithuania said:

Obviously I don’t know the guy and never will but to know he’s on his way to recovering is such a huge relief. It really puts football in to perspective. 

I, like many others watched that unfold in complete shock and horror. You don’t expect to sit and watch a game of football and something like that happens. I was on the beers looking forward to all the games yesterday. Couldn’t drink anymore after that. 

Thankfully, he is recovering. Best wishes to Eriksen, his family and all connected with the Danish FA. 

That’s pretty much how I felt. We were all having a great day and then the whole day went completely flat. I’d have went home had the worst happened without a shadow. 
It puts things in perspective in a flash. 

Seeing the players blocking the cameras was really impressive to see. Schmeichel and Kjaer going to his partner too was difficult to watch but showed their character. Think Schmeichel went towards the helicopter crash when they lost the Leicester owner too. All round incredible guy. Think Kjaer did something to put Eriksen into a recovery position. As horrible as it was to see it was really touching to see how quickly his teammates responded. Thought the BBC continuing to film it was crass and there should be some kind of procedure if/when something like this happens to immediately cut back to the studio or even just point the camera away. 

Pleased to hear Eriksen is doing better, absolutely horrible to see. 

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

UEFA ran the TV feed but admittedly the BBC could have cut back to the studio a bit quicker.

Ahh cheers, I didn't realise it was UEFA doing it. But yeah, either way someone should have made the call to make sure that if the worst was happening, then it wasn't being broadcast world wide. Hopefully its a lesson learned for broadcasters and they create a policy going forward not to show that. 

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You did see the chest compressions. That’s when I got pretty upset tbh. I honestly thought that was it and he was gone.

Yeah, me too. They spent such a long time on the compressions, the defibrillator, and then the compressions again (as far as I recall seeing it anyway until we couldn't see what was happening any more) that I thought he was a goner. I was very pleasantly surprised when I learned he had made it. It just shows - never give up.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yeah, me too. They spent such a long time on the compressions, the defibrillator, and then the compressions again (as far as I recall seeing it anyway until we couldn't see what was happening any more) that I thought he was a goner. I was very pleasantly surprised when I learned he had made it. It just shows - never give up.

Yeah absolutely. The medics deserve some praise here cos that looked bleak for a time. 
You see a lot these days but that really affected me. 

Medic says when they first got to him he had a pulse but things deteriorated and they performed manual CPR until the actual docs arrived with a defibrillator.

Had to shock him twice on the pitch to stabilise his heartbeat.

Gave big props to Kjaer for clearing his airway and getting him on his side.

Everybody did everything correct (other than the camera crews)

13 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

👍🏻👍🏻

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not sure I could’ve really watched or enjoyed much of the euros at all had that happened tbh. 
Thank god he seems to be ok. 

50 minutes ago, redjambo said:

With the wall of Danish players and the medic applying the chest compressions, I couldn’t see the chest itself being compressed, which is why I referenced you could ascertain the force required through Eriksen’s legs.

I merely mentioned it as it’s an important part for anyone giving CPR that you can’t be timid, indeed a number of people receive a fractured or broken rib when receiving CPR.

I’m also hearing Eriksen needed to be shocked twice.

These medics did a wonderful job of saving his lives and again reiterates to all, go get some training / refresh as speed is of the essence and having the ability to save someone around you is priceless.

The morning after but still I am so so relieved he pulled through.

Unknown user

Denmark get my vote for team of the tournament after their reaction in protecting the dignity of their team mate, I'm really full of admiration and respect for them acting so selflessly at such a difficult personal moment.

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

With the wall of Danish players and the medic applying the chest compressions, I couldn’t see the chest itself being compressed, which is why I referenced you could ascertain the force required through Eriksen’s legs.

I merely mentioned it as it’s an important part for anyone giving CPR that you can’t be timid, indeed a number of people receive a fractured or broken rib when receiving CPR.

I’m also hearing Eriksen needed to be shocked twice.

These medics did a wonderful job of saving his lives and again reiterates to all, go get some training / refresh as speed is of the essence and having the ability to save someone around you is priceless.

The morning after but still I am so so relieved he pulled through.

You saw it very early when the medical team got over to him. I’d seen his eyes and knew something was very wrong. It really was then that my heart sank and I feared the worst. 
Like you say it’s a great relief he’s appearing to be on the mend. 

Peakybunnet
13 hours ago, j1964m said:

This game should not have been finished tonight the Danish team would never had there minds on the out come of this game

Agreed also emotionally drained. Crying your eyes for whatever reason has an impact on your mental state. 

Saw similar when I was at the Spurs Vs Bolton game with Fabrice Muamba. Was hoping to never see it again. Muamba never played again. Hopefully it doesn't end Eriksen's career. 

5 minutes ago, Alfie Conn said:

Saw similar when I was at the Spurs Vs Bolton game with Fabrice Muamba. Was hoping to never see it again. Muamba never played again. Hopefully it doesn't end Eriksen's career. 

I’ve been thinking about it and I believe he’s the type of person who will consider things and decide to retire whatever the prognosis. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Officially confirmed as a cardiac arrest now by the team doctor. 

The doctor then went on to say that all his tests thus far have been normal. 🤷‍♂️

In an odd way he was probably lucky he was where he was with expert medical assistance on hand immediately.  If he'd been at home or out for a walk we could have been looking at a tragic outcome.

Best wishes to him for a full recovery.

41 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

The doctor then went on to say that all his tests thus far have been normal. 🤷‍♂️

Which is a bit worrying for him.

20 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Which is a bit worrying for him.

i would say quite the opposite. The fact all his tests are normal is an excellent outcome. His cardiac arrest shall require investigation and once identified treatments shall be available. 

3 minutes ago, JT1959 said:

i would say quite the opposite. The fact all his tests are normal is an excellent outcome. His cardiac arrest shall require investigation and once identified treatments shall be available. 

Would worry me if all the tests done are normal but I’ve still had a cardiac arrest. If something is found you can fix it?

2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Would worry me if all the tests done are normal but I’ve still had a cardiac arrest. If something is found you can fix it?

Sorry misunderstood you. Yes, he will no doubt be worried about the cause of the CA but the fact all other tests is normal is a very good sign. 

ScottieMac17
2 hours ago, JT1959 said:

Sorry misunderstood you. Yes, he will no doubt be worried about the cause of the CA but the fact all other tests is normal is a very good sign. 

Don't want to be one of those people wearing tin foil hat but rumours of him getting the vaccine at inter before the tournament and the recent news of a small % of young people experiencing heart inflammation... Might be a long shot but possibly a link there??? 

12 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Don't want to be one of those people wearing tin foil hat but rumours of him getting the vaccine at inter before the tournament and the recent news of a small % of young people experiencing heart inflammation... Might be a long shot but possibly a link there??? 

No and that's that stupid rumour put to bed

7 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Normal as in in what you expect to find in, after and during a major cardiac event or Normal like your everyday bloke in the street who didn’t have a collapse, CPR revival etc etc. You can’t possibly read as ‘Normal’ after that. Normal would say to me that they’ve looked and so far not found the exact cause because everything they looked at SO FAR is normal. Saying he is ‘normal’ makes no sense. He clearly isn’t. Maybe it’s just none of anyone’s business . patient confidentiality etc etc 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Inter have confirmed he's not been vaccinated. So the tinfoil mob can officially **** off, & prey on some other poor ****er.

Bloody hell…I should’ve known something like this would surface. 
****ing hell man it’s almost intolerable these days with conspiracy freaks. 

6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Normal as in in what you expect to find in, after and during a major cardiac event or Normal like your everyday bloke in the street who didn’t have a collapse, CPR revival etc etc. You can’t possibly read as ‘Normal’ after that. Normal would say to me that they’ve looked and so far not found the exact cause because everything they looked at SO FAR is normal. Saying he is ‘normal’ makes no sense. He clearly isn’t. Maybe it’s just none of anyone’s business . patient confidentiality etc etc 

You're right it doesn't make sense, but I only posted what I read in the statement from the Danish doc.

40 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

You're right it doesn't make sense, but I only posted what I read in the statement from the Danish doc.

Wasn’t getting at you mate, just the statement. I imagine it’s the last thing on a cardio consultants mind to keep the media fully appraised of what’s wrong with his patient so he’s just used the word ‘normal’ 

RustyRightPeg
7 hours ago, Barack said:

Inter have confirmed he's not been vaccinated. So the tinfoil mob can officially **** off, & prey on some other poor ****er.

Well said. 

IveSeenTheLight
10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I read it as all his tests  up to this point had returned normal and did not show any indications of an underlying heart issue

There was a bit on the commentary of the Netherlands V Ukraine game, re Daley Blind, who collapsed on pitch last year and now has a device fitted in his heart.