Relevance of Taking the Knee in sport

Don Dan

JudyJudyJudy
On 12/06/2021 at 14:14, JackLadd said:

No knee taken by Welsh or Swiss. Why are Scotland doing this again? 

Well most counties are. I don’t have an issue with it . If it highlights a serious issue why not ,? However it should not be compulsory for individuals if they so wish not to 

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well most counties are. I don’t have an issue with it . If it highlights a serious issue why not ,? However it should not be compulsory for individuals if they so wish not to 

No they are not. North Mac and Austria did not. I like how the beeb zoomed in on England players to avoid the fact Croatia did not kneel btw. My mate Cade no doubt heartily approved.   

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

No they are not. North Mac and Austria did not. I like how the beeb zoomed in on England players to avoid the fact Croatia did not kneel btw. My mate Cade no doubt heartily approved.   

If allowed in the stadium will you boo the Hearts players taking a knee ? 

4 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

If allowed in the stadium will you boo the Hearts players taking a knee ? 

No, but I won't condemn any that do. 

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Ok ! Didn’t know That just assumed they did . Not in the slightest interest in it really to be honest either way . 

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ll boo the shit ones

Our big problem is sectarianism which our authorities are frightened to deal with ,

Also when does taking the knee end ? 

Its all a load of pish ! 

It’s so boring now, more coverage about taking a knee than about the actual football it’s embarrassing.  

If people can express an opinion and take the knee then people can express an opinion and boo it.  I’d probably boo it just to annoy all the virtue signalling warriors. 

14 minutes ago, Shanks said:

It’s so boring now, more coverage about taking a knee than about the actual football it’s embarrassing.  

If people can express an opinion and take the knee then people can express an opinion and boo it.  I’d probably boo it just to annoy all the virtue signalling warriors. 

What gets me is Scotland have been ordered to kneel with the Welsh by some unknown edict from on high.  

Btw you could turn your back and not look. I might go that route. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

What gets me is Scotland have been ordered to kneel with the Welsh by some unknown edict from on high.  

So what was getting you before that?

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, Taffin said:

They've devalued it by making a song and dance over those who don't do it.

It should have been a period of time where (one or two rounds of fixtures) where they have BLM on the shirts and everyone did it and then back to individual choice. Colin Kaepernick doing it was a really powerful piece of symbolism, as was footballers doing it at first. Once it becomes every game, every player it just pales into part of the routine. Maybe that is what has happened and it's just everyone still feels they want to do it, and that's great, however the Scotland team's stance on it suggests that's not what's happened. Either they believe in it and as such should do it in all our games, or they don't. Doing it for just the England game trivialises it and does make it political imo. They're doing it solely to be seen to do it. Had they stood as we have done in other games and then taken a knee if the booing started when England did it, then that would have been a far, far more powerful statement.

A bit like the annual poppy nonsense. 

The Hogfather
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You think the poor in this country aren't dehumanised? Whether they're black, white or whichever, people should start thinking about them.

The likes of Thatcher and now Boris didn't/don't give a feck which colour the poor were/are in the UK, she bulldozed them all and so will he. 

There's other threads you can take this discussion down. Not every thread exists for you to tell people how bad the Tories are.

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

Imagine being this triggered.

What a snowflake :laugh: 

Francis Albert

The only objection I have is when people are accused of being racist or soft on racism if they don't make the gesture. It also looks to me faintly silly (even rather subservient) in contrast with my vivid memory of the two US athletes raised fist gesture 53 years ago on the medal podium at the Olympics. So called Black Panther gesture but really meant as a Civil Rights gesture. That was a far more powerful gesture and in a very unwoke world a much braver one. I was heavily into James Baldwin then and fully approved.  I think when the likes of Keir Starmer and Naismith take the knee it looks particularly silly. 

Irony alert Friday evening when people applaud taking the knee followed by "et into they English/Scottish bassas

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 12/06/2021 at 21:58, Nunya Business said:

That's the crux of the matter as well. Halfwits (not you) saying they should stop and do something else without actually suggesting what they should do instead. And mentioning other anti-racist initiatives (that haven't done enough themselves) as if that should be enough for the ingrates. I just don't see why anyone would have any complaints. It's a 5 second symbolic gesture that does no harm to anyone. 

If they all wore bowler hats and sashes and played flutes, I bet a lot of the people moaning would love it.

Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, Taffin said:

Had they stood as we have done in other games and then taken a knee if the booing started when England did it, then that would have been a far, far more powerful statement.

I would've absolutely loved this to have happened.

3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

If they all wore bowler hats and sashes and played flutes, I bet a lot of the people moaning would love it.

We can only dream.

:jj:

Ron Burgundy
17 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Our big problem is sectarianism which our authorities are frightened to deal with ,

Also when does taking the knee end ? 

Its all a load of pish ! 

Correct, sweep sweep.

Jamstomorrow
On 12/06/2021 at 17:05, Smithee said:

So, you were schooling me on Marxism.

What is Marxism exactly, and what aspects of it particularly shine through in BLM for you?

Marxism was quite funny.  I thought Groucho was funny, but that galloot with the horn was kind of annoying.  I don't know what they have to do with blm though.