Club or country

Hairdryer

LarrysRightFoot

There’s no choice to be made between one and the other. There’s no conflict of interest. Support both. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack D and coke

• martoon

• Last Laff

• Forever Hearts

Bungalow Bill

When the Scotland games moved exclusively to Sky I lost interest in the national team, missing out on so many tournaments also stopped me watching Scotland on the TV which didn’t help. 

Hearts to win any trophy over Scotland winning a trophy for me. 

2 hours ago, martoon said:

😆

Exactly.

Read a little further in and they have Rangers (28%) as the best supported club in Edinburgh.

Even more incredulously they have Hibs (27%), Hearts (25%) and Celtic (20%).

:rofl:

Pffft. No way on this earth do Hibs have a larger support than us. I don’t care what metric you use.

Hearts always first!

Sadly only watch Scotland when a Hearts player is involved. Hope CG features on monday or another afternoon walking the black lab, by the way his name is RUDI! 

SwindonJambo

Both for me and no contradiction. I've lived in England for 40 years but could never bring myself to cheer them on unless it benefited Scotland in some way, as per that night in Euro 96. 

That said, I've grown very apathetic towards Scotland since around 2000 as we've withered on the vine horribly. Still, I have the afternoon off tomorrow and I'll be cheering the team on, even though we didn't so much get in through the back door as climb in through the toilet window.

The low number of caps given to Robbo back in the day was another serious piss off. 30 years ago he came out to warm up in front of the Scotland end at half time at an away game against Switzerland. The whole 3,000+ Scotland support sang his name. 

Edited by SwindonJambo

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, martoon said:

😆

Exactly.

Read a little further in and they have Rangers (28%) as the best supported club in Edinburgh.

Those figures are surely utter bollocks.

42 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Those figures are surely utter bollocks.

Made up shite, bud.

Edited by martoon

On 11/06/2021 at 19:13, DS98 said:

Hearts win the league or Scotland win the World cup? Not even a choice in my eyes. 

Without doubt league. Always want Scotland to win but doesn’t affect me much if they lose unlike Hearts. 

Japan Jambo
On 11/06/2021 at 19:18, been here before said:

Apart from about half a dozen players I struggle to name any Scotland players taking part in this let alone any of the others in the various nations.

My interest in football outside of Hearts diminishes a little more each season that goes by.

Ill cheer Scotland on, hope they do well but Im not really that fussed overall which probably reflects how I view the tournament as a whole.

yup have little interest outside Hearts, have no interest whatsoever in EPL and don't subscribe to Sky. I'll reconnect with Scotland this tourney as the games are on council tv.

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Both for me and no contradiction. I've lived in England for 40 years but could never bring myself to cheer them on unless it benefited Scotland in some way, as per that night in Euro 96. 

That said, I've grown very apathetic towards Scotland since around 2000 as we've withered on the vine horribly. Still, I have the afternoon off tomorrow and I'll be cheering the team on, even though we didn't so much get in through the back door as climb in through the toilet window.

The low number of caps given to Robbo back in the day was another serious piss off. 30 years ago he came out to warm up in front of the Scotland end at half time at an away game against Switzerland. The whole 3,000+ Scotland support sang his name. 

Bit harsh IMHO. We won a qualifying playoff away from home against a decent team. Thought we had won it in normal time, lost a last-minute goal, had to do it all over again, and then played a perfect penalty shootout. We deserve to be there as much as anyone else.

5 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

OK, fair dos. Really not the impression they like to convey though. Sadly it’s always the biggest arseholes that make the most noise. Our support has the same issue.

Plenty of those kind on here jumping in to remind us how they couldn't care less about their country's football team. 

Almost as if it's something to boast about, weird. 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm with you. I'd add Tosh to the piss off list too. Played brilliantly with us after serving Dundee well but it took a move to the Hoops to seal a Scotland. Robbos treatment really pissed me off - I hadn't heard the Switzerland story before but it speaks volumes 

Club all day. I couldn't give a hoot really about Scotland. I love the tournaments, but outwith them I couldn't really care about international football at all. 

I'll be watching Scotland's games, mostly because I'll be in the company of mates who support the team, but the result will not bother me in the slightest. You don't choose your teams, your teams choose you, and Scotland just doesn't draw me in. Used to when I was younger, but not now.

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, martoon said:

😆

Exactly.

Rangers…honestly I utterly despise them now. I come from a family of these idiots. Mad proddys, loads of them. 

It gives me a right riddy now I’m older and have developed a brain. 

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Rangers…honestly I utterly despise them now. I come from a family of these idiots. Mad proddys, loads of them. 

I don’t for 2 seconds believe Der Hun have a bigger support in Edinburgh than Hearts. Cannot possibly be true. The clue is the in the link name - Rangers News. It also says Hibs have a bigger support than Hearts, never true at any time. Utter diarrhoea.

SwindonJambo
5 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I'm with you. I'd add Tosh to the piss off list too. Played brilliantly with us after serving Dundee well but it took a move to the Hoops to seal a Scotland. Robbos treatment really pissed me off - I hadn't heard the Switzerland story before but it speaks volumes 

It was this game. I know because I was there, watching him through the perimeter fence. He had the most rueful look on his face as he looked up at the fans singing to him, the vast majority non Jambos.

This was the game. We were 2 down at half time with McCoist missing a couple of good chances  before scoring the equaliser late on. Robbo didn’t get off the bench. Brian McClair did. 😡

https://www.11v11.com/matches/switzerland-v-scotland-11-september-1991-243185/

Tosh McKinlay was nearly 30 when he got his Scotland debut, after nearly 10 years as a solid first team regular at Dundee then Hearts. 

You can probably add Neil McCann to that list - he got a cap or 2 at Hearts and surprise, surprise he joins Deidco and he gets a regular game for Scotland.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Hackney Hearts
24 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I don’t for 2 seconds believe Der Hun have a bigger support in Edinburgh than Hearts. Cannot possibly be true. The clue is the in the link name - Rangers News. It also says Hibs have a bigger support than Hearts, never true at any time. Utter diarrhoea.

It's okay, those figures (and that map) have been concocted using a very dubious method! :

"Map based on Google Trends data from 2004-present on most searched football team by city."

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

It was this game. I know because I was there, watching him through the perimeter fence. He had the most rueful look on his face as he looked up at the fans singing to him, the vast majority non Jambos.

This was the game. We were 2 down at half time with McCoist missing a couple of good chances  before scoring the equaliser late on. Robbo didn’t get off the bench. Brian McClair did. 😡

https://www.11v11.com/matches/switzerland-v-scotland-11-september-1991-243185/

Tosh McKinlay was nearly 30 when he got his Scotland debut, after nearly 10 years as a solid first team regular at Dundee then Hearts. 

You can probably add Neil McCann to that list - he got a cap or 2 at Hearts and surprise, surprise he joins Deidco and he gets a regular game for Scotland.

Thanks for that I enjoyed watching that

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I don't actually know any Rangers fans. If they make up 28% of Edinburgh's football supporters they're hiding it well.

Those I have met on holiday etc. have been, with rare exception, boorish, arrogant even borderline hostile on occasion.

Did work with one when I left school at 16. Really nice lad.

But that was 37 years ago. Still to meet pleasant blue nose mk2.

15 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

When the Scotland games moved exclusively to Sky I lost interest in the national team, missing out on so many tournaments also stopped me watching Scotland on the TV which didn’t help. 

Hearts to win any trophy over Scotland winning a trophy for me. 

A group of us would go through to Glasgow for the games but the past 3 campaigns have had very few Saturday afternoon matches, with more and more Sunday/Monday night games which is a major pain in the ass for travelling so we all stopped and let our Scotland Supporters Club memberships lapse.

1 minute ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Club every time. I find international breaks during the season, a real pain.

Me too.

Bloody cheek.

It was one aspect of Hearts' recent Championship, ahem, adventures I liked. We just played through them. Could have lived without Brora, though.

Thank goodness, too, that Leagues 1 and 2 in England do the same. At least having a coupon and a few accas on the go keep me interested over those long, long, long weekends of international football.

International football is only acceptable during the domestic close season. Play all the qualifiers one summer and the finals the next would be my plan if I ruled the world.

Growing up I supported both equally enthusiastically, and used to go to Scotland home games.

With Dundee United and Aberdeen doing well there were a reasonable number of non old firm players in the team, so the inherent old firm bias wasn't too obvious. But as has been mentioned, the derisory number of caps given to the likes of Robbo and Tosh because they wore the wrong club colours, coupled with Scotland's on field decline, mean I don't feel much connection with the national side nowadays.

I'll still be cheering the team on this tournament, but defeat won't bother me half as much as it did at previous championships.

20 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s really surprising. I was in the travel club for years and I can count on one hand the amount of rangers fans I met. I met fans of all clubs, a lot of Celtic actually too but hun tramps were thin on the ground. 

Aye me too. Strangely you met a lot of guys who didn’t really have a club or they’d watch juniors or youth football. They just focussed on Scotland trips 3 or 4 times a year. Anyone I met that was an Old Firm fan didn’t carry any sectarian baggage around with them and quite often travelled together in mixed Celtic and Rangers groups. Club football was barely mentioned on the trips to be honest. We had 2 guys from Brechin, one from Falkirk and one from Tayport who never saw club football from one season to the next

I know that money rules all in football but the SFA selling Scotland matches to Sky doesn't help to promote interest in the National team. 

If you don't have Sky you don't get to see Scotland games. 

How can that possibly be good for interest in the Scottish International team ? 

Even worse that ITV cover all the England games, even friendlies. 

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I know that money rules all in football but the SFA selling Scotland matches to Sky doesn't help to promote interest in the National team. 

If you don't have Sky you don't get to see Scotland games. 

How can that possibly be good for interest in the Scottish International team ? 

Even worse that ITV cover all the England games, even friendlies. 

The answer is £££££.

Sky offered the SFA more cash than any other bidder. And ITV offered the FA more than Sky for the England games. 

But I agree it doesn't help promote interest in the national side.

The_razors_edge

Club comes first for me. I take a passing interest in Scotland really. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of hours and a stupid amount of money on following Hearts over the year. In footballing terms they are my first and only real love. I will watch the Scotland  games in this tournament but I’m not sitting here excited or nervous like many others appear to be if you scroll through Twitter or FB. To be clear I hope they win all their games but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t.

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Thanks for that I enjoyed watching that

I'm pretty sure there were Hibbies wanting Robbo brought on! At least they knew all too well just how good he was. To add a bit of context, Hearts were top of the league at the time, with then almost  27yo Robbo at  the peak of his powers, ably assisted by his then strike partner Scott Crabbe.

This was my 1st trip abroad to follow Scotland and the camaraderie among the fans was excellent. All club rivalries were dropped. There seemed to be relatively few OF fans there considering their numbers. Loads of Jambos, Hibbies, Sheep, Arabs and others still with no strong club alliegence at all. I roughed it at Berne railway station afterwards and travelled all the way home by train and boat the next day, feeling as rough as a badger's arse after a full day on the sauce. Good times.

54 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

The answer is £££££.

Sky offered the SFA more cash than any other bidder. And ITV offered the FA more than Sky for the England games. 

But I agree it doesn't help promote interest in the national side.

I think it's a very short sighted approach and devalues the sport. 

The Ryder Cup and Open golf are further examples these events are now followed by an exclusive audience and no longer have the broad appeal they once had. 

If the Euros were purely Sky or BT events the interest would be nowhere near as intense imo. 

SwindonJambo
Just now, luckydug said:

I think it's a very short sighted approach and devalues the sport. 

The Ryder Cup and Open golf are further examples these events are now followed by an exclusive audience and no longer have the broad appeal they once had. 

If the Euros were purely Sky or BT events the interest would be nowhere near as intense imo. 

I believe some specific events are reserved for Terrestrial TV, such as Wimbledon, the Euros, Football and Rugby World Cups and 6 Nations Rugby.  

Grew up going to all the Scotland home games when I lived through west, my high school overlooked Hampden. As has been said before the west coast cap bias coupled with the games being on Sky led to me drifting away from country, I have 2 boys, both season ticket holders for a few years and they are just starting to get the country thing now (8 & 10).

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm pretty sure there were Hibbies wanting Robbo brought on! At least they knew all too well just how good he was. To add a bit of context, Hearts were top of the league at the time, with then almost  27yo Robbo at  the peak of his powers, ably assisted by his then strike partner Scott Crabbe.

This was my 1st trip abroad to follow Scotland and the camaraderie among the fans was excellent. All club rivalries were dropped. There seemed to be relatively few OF fans there considering their numbers. Loads of Jambos, Hibbies, Sheep, Arabs and others still with no strong club alliegence at all. I roughed it at Berne railway station afterwards and travelled all the way home by train and boat the next day, feeling as rough as a badger's arse after a full day on the sauce. Good times.

Memories matey that is what it is all about. The sooner that retirement date comes the better and the real adventures can start

SwindonJambo
11 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Memories matey that is what it is all about. The sooner that retirement date comes the better and the real adventures can start

😊

I can still just about do all of the above, minus the amount of sauce intake that day, which would probably put me in hospital if I tried it now 😳

Edited by SwindonJambo

35 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I believe some specific events are reserved for Terrestrial TV, such as Wimbledon, the Euros, Football and Rugby World Cups and 6 Nations Rugby.  

Crown jewel events, I think the Labour government called them: games that must be accessed free to air.

FA and Scottish Cup finals were amongst them. 

I think FIFA and UEFA insist the same for their international finals.

Clearly doesn't extend to qualification, however. Not 100%, but I think Scotland's play off win only made free to air TV because of Covid.

Harry Potter

Deffo Hearts 1st, tbh, scotland not being on the big stage for 23 years has not helped.

Remember in the 80s, 90s scotland qualifying for a lot of tournaments, but never getting

far in them, but still loved watching them, looking 

forward to today and hoping for a win, but when it comes to getting over a defeat, takes a lot longer

when Hearts lose.

The Treasurer

Well after today's result I'm disappointed rather than devastated, had it been Hearts I'd be gutted. More looking forward to the fixtures tomorrow than the rest of the Scotland games

I’m a wee bit disappointed that Scotland lost today.

Only a wee bit, because I expected it.

I’d love us to beat England at Wembley on Friday but, quite frankly, can’t see it.  I therefore will not be soaking my kilt when/if it happens.

I get really cheesed off though when Hearts lose, like really cheesed off.  Especially if it’s to Hibs.

Or Brora.

Or Alloa.

Dagger Is Back
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

😊

I can still just about do all of the above, minus the amount of sauce intake that day, which would probably put me in hospital if I tried it now 😳

🤣🤣

No Idle Talk

If Sevco were actually the biggest supported team in Edinburgh I would shoot myself in the face. That day should never dawn. Fortunately I do not believe it to be true.

1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

Club. Every time.

I would rather see Hearts win the League Cup than see Scotland win the World Cup.

I'm the very same mate, I would actually take hearts getting a 3rd place next season over Scotland getting to a semi final or even final this year, although i suspect its probably a selfish outlook, as the whole country would get to enjoy a WC/EC win or WC/EC run!

Don't get me wrong I love my country and am Immensely proud to be Scottish but there's just something off about the national football team thats a little bit bullish/arrogant imo, its almost england like, although not to the same levels, tbf it probably stems from the old firm tangent of the support, in that way the national football team is different from other sports in scotland, It kind of puts me off following to much tbh, that and also if you tell other fans in the tartan army that you follow hearts they look at you with disgust, it's really annoying tbh no other teams fans get disrespected from Ta bams more than ours and i know because i used to go with a group of Ta fans to watch Scotland games for a few years. Bunch of erseholes to be quite honest.

Malinga the Swinga

I would really like Scotland to do well and the dream is to win Euros or World Cup.

That being said, I would take Hearts winning League cup, Scottish cup or League before any Scottish victory. 

I would take Hearts over Scotland any day of the week.

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I'm the very same mate, I would actually take hearts getting a 3rd place next season over Scotland getting to a semi final or even final this year, although i suspect its probably a selfish outlook, as the whole country would get to enjoy a WC/EC win or WC/EC run!

Don't get me wrong I love my country and am Immensely proud to be Scottish but there's just something off about the national football team thats a little bit bullish/arrogant imo, its almost england like, although not to the same levels, tbf it probably stems from the old firm tangent of the support, in that way the national football team is different from other sports in scotland, It kind of puts me off following to much tbh, that and also if you tell other fans in the tartan army that you follow hearts they look at you with disgust, it's really annoying tbh no other teams fans get disrespected from Ta bams more than ours and i know because i used to go with a group of Ta fans to watch Scotland games for a few years. Bunch of erseholes to be quite honest.

I've been to two Scotland matches I think. Many years ago. The first game I went to was a friendly against Argentina just before the 1990 World Cup. It was clear that the people we were standing in the middle of were all Rangers fans because every time a Celtic player gave the ball away they got dog's abuse and every time a Rangers player got the ball there were roars of encouragement. I found that a bit odd. I also went to a game against Bulgaria a few years later. Scotland scored a late equaliser but it just didn't move the needle for me. It didn't have the same feeling about it that going to watch Hearts did.

I have a mate who was away to the game yesterday all done up in his glengarry and kilt. He obviously enjoys it so fair play to him. It's not for me though. Following the National team will just be one of those things in life that passes me by I think. I am fine with that. I don't really feel like I am missing out on much. 

SuperstarSteve

Club before country. 

Having experienced the 5-1 final though I peaked that day as a football supporter so currently following the sport knowing full well I’ll never feel how I did that day kind of kills your passion for the game.

Only one more experience that was missing and possible was Scotland qualifying for a major tournament which happened last year. 
With exception to Hibs every games a friendly for me with zero expectations. Don’t think I’ll ever lose the passion for those games though. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is supporting Scotland just another opportunity to go out dress up in a kilt and get drunk? they will do well to score a goal in this competition a Hearts game gives me a buzz  a Scotland game means nothing especially after the demotion to the championship 

The Treasurer

It's not a case of either/or but in football terms Hearts do mean far more to me than the gFA XI.

Doesn't mean that I'm not proud to be Scottish

Forever Hearts
32 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Is supporting Scotland just another opportunity to go out dress up in a kilt and get drunk? they will do well to score a goal in this competition a Hearts game gives me a buzz  a Scotland game means nothing especially after the demotion to the championship 

It wasn't the Scotland team who demoted Hearts. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
24 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It wasn't the Scotland team who demoted Hearts. 

Naw it wasn't, the Scotland team couldn't demote Brechin City 

Forever Hearts
14 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Naw it wasn't, the Scotland team couldn't demote Brechin City 

Erm, ok. 🤔