• JackLadd

• Cade

• Mikey1874

• Homme

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Chiellini not far off his 37th birthday putting a goal saving tackle in like that in the 93rd minute

Absolute class player! Strolls it. Very impressed with their LB and Chelsea’s Jorginho…. my moneys safe this year😀

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think I have already identified what will for me be one of the most annoying things about the Euros. In a full stadium the cameras for the most part show the crowds reactions at big moments like goals. Now they focus as I suppose they have to on individuals and the most exhibitionist weirdos that thay can find .

Aye where’s ra burds

Italy haven't chosen to avoid anyone, they've avoided other good teams by being a good team and being seeded.

They've played 3 World Cup qualifiers, 6 Nations League games and 4 Friendlies since Sept 2020.

The only opponents they chose were the friendlies.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Six World Cup finals winning four. Several semis. Meanwhile England have won one and got to the semis on one other occasion. 
There is a negative perception of them due to the press in this country always bringing up the old cliche of defensive Italy, when the truth is solid defence and good organisation with some great forwards over the years. 

Isn't it two semis? The 90 team was decent tbf, 18 were just lucky and got punted by the first good side that played them. 

Rogue Daddy
2 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'm not sure why ther how you can say they have specifically avoided playing top teams unless they have influence on who they are drawn against.

29 unbeaten now. Wales or Switzerland are taking nothing from them either.

…and only conceded 6 goals (I think… or is it 7). Mancini has worked miracles with them since they didn’t qualify for the last World Cup. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

Dark horses this and dark horses that.

They're ****ing better than England.

England are also dark horses, despite what you’ll hear for the next 3 weeks.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The winner of our group gets runner up from France, Germany, Portugal group I think. 

Yep

Runner up from Group D (our group) meets runner up from Group E (Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia).

It's weird, but that's the draw!

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Isn't it two semis? The 90 team was decent tbf, 18 were just lucky and got punted by the first good side that played them. 

18 ?

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

They just don't get it do they Mikey  

They categorise Italy as being cautious like they were years ago. 

Italy were smashing tonight.

The catanacio thing has set the agenda for the British press for years. I got sick of it one season and checked the goals scored in Serie A and the EPL every week and there were a lot more high scoring games in Italy. If you believe the media it’s all 1-0 wins and 10 men behind the ball. 

Just now, JimmyCant said:

England are also dark horses, despite what you’ll hear for the next 3 weeks.

technically Italy are superior. I watched England's recent friendlies and saw nothing as polished, vs lesser sides than Turkey also. 

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Could be, I didn’t check to be honest. I think if you take away 1966 they’ve a worst record than Czechoslovakia as was in terms of semis.  

6 minutes ago, Homme said:

Dark horses this and dark horses that.

They're ****ing better than England.

1st day and there's one side very clearly better than England.

Belguim tomorrow. 

Just now, JackLadd said:

technically Italy are superior. I watched England's recent friendlies and saw nothing as polished, vs lesser sides than Turkey also. 

To be fair I’ve hardly seen Italy for years and what we just watched was different class. England can’t match that standard of technical football.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Could be, I didn’t check to be honest. I think if you take away 1966 they’ve a worst record than Czechoslovakia as was in terms of semis.  

They are due a tournament win tbh. Don't see Southgate serving one up tho. No Mancini is he. 

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Chiellini not far off his 37th birthday putting a goal saving tackle in like that in the 93rd minute

One of the greatest defenders of all time. 

4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

They are due a tournament win tbh. Don't see Southgate serving one up tho. No Mancini is he. 

You could say they were due a win if they were knocking on the door. 

They've not reached a final since 66.

Just now, JackLadd said:

I don’t understand that logic at all. They won the World Cup a lifetime ago, the only team ever to play all their matches at the same stadium. Since then they’ve barely troubled the tournament despite the hype. Countries like Greece, Czechoslovakia, and Denmark have won tournaments since then. France and Spain have eventually fulfilled their potential, Portugal have emerged as a force. Meanwhile England haven’t even reached the final. Outside the UK they aren’t taken seriously as contenders, foreign footballers and managers say it to the British press to sound kind. 

Just now, Homme said:

You could say they were due a win if they were knocking on the door. 

They've not reached a final since 66.

Well, denied by penalties a couple of times against the Germans. Fine margins regards getting to another final. 

Just now, JimmyCant said:

I think we’d like a snore draw in that game (we being Scotland that is)

Don't mind if Croatia win the group, happy to settle for second as it will give us an easier draw in the next round 😉

3 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

As long as Scotland beats the Czechs on Tuesday also.

Monday, but yes, must win that game No matter what happens at Wembley 

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Monday, but yes, must win that game No matter what happens at Wembley 

Yup, don't beat the Czechs and we're up against it. I'm not expecting much tbh, just hope being at home makes some difference. 

Italy World Cup record

Did not enter 1930

Did not qualify 1958, 2018

Group Stage 1950, 1954, 1962, 1966, 1974, 2010, 2014

Round of 16 1986, 2002

Quarter Final 1998

Fourth Place 1978

Third Place 1990

Runner Up 1970, 1994

Winners 1934, 1938, 1982, 2006

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Yup, don't beat the Czechs and we're up against it. I'm not expecting much tbh, just hope being at home makes some difference. 

Think if we beat the Czechs, we’d possibly only need a point to qualify in 3rd. Whoever loses between England and Croatia, we’ll probably have to beat also to finish 2nd. I’m leaning toward a draw being the best result in that game, then a win for us puts us in a driving seat of sorts.

On 10/06/2021 at 21:15, Homme said:

They're no mugs but they're no Italy.

Comfortable for the Italians.

Called it :lol:

Turkey were awful!  0 shots on target! :vrface:

Fancied them as well, they have a couple of good attackers, but they were on the defensive for 90 minutes! 

1 minute ago, tian447 said:

Fancied them as well, they have a couple of good attackers, but they were on the defensive for 90 minutes! 

They were disappointing no doubt. A couple of good wins ove the Netherlands and Norway have skewed some opinions I think. 

That said Italy didn't give them a sniff tonight and they're by no means out of it.

40 minutes ago, Homme said:

They were disappointing no doubt. A couple of good wins ove the Netherlands and Norway have skewed some opinions I think. 

That said Italy didn't give them a sniff tonight and they're by no means out of it.

Definitely, especially with Çalhanoglu and Yilmaz, I thought they would do much better than they did tonight. 

Their defence was suspect all night long. Wales will be licking their lips, especially with 3rd place potentially getting through! 

Turkey are a good side.

Italy were just superb tonight and made them look very ordinary.

(or, as stated in the preview, Turkey are only good in Qualifiers and pish in actual tournaments)

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Tbf Italy played well Turkey played poorly. 

Italy scored more than 2goals for the first time ever at the Euros the commentator said. Very different style under Mancini was good to watch. Difficult to judge them properly though I think

Anyone else notice how impeccably the Italians took their first touch and controlled the ball?

Looked like the ball stuck to their feet at times. Great technical side no doubt.

John Findlay

I thought the Turkish team suffered a bit from first night nerves, tonight.

Thought Italy were very professional and will be a tough nut to crack.

Perth to Paisley
14 hours ago, Tazio said:

The catanacio thing has set the agenda for the British press for years. I got sick of it one season and checked the goals scored in Serie A and the EPL every week and there were a lot more high scoring games in Italy. If you believe the media it’s all 1-0 wins and 10 men behind the ball. 

I remember this ...

Clueless the lot of them

Forza calcio

🇮🇹

Japan Jambo
14 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It's coming home apparently.

:rofl:

Bloody well better not be.... bad enough already.

6 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Bloody well better not be.... bad enough already.

Wouldn’t worry about it too much. We’ve seen one game so far and one of the teams in it would blow England away.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Anyone else notice how impeccably the Italians took their first touch and controlled the ball?

Looked like the ball stuck to their feet at times. Great technical side no doubt.

They always have been, what struck me when I first starting watching it was the crowd whistling if a defender hoofed it aimlessly up or out the park, whereas a lot of our fans cheer that.

I think they will go quite far in the tournament.