***EURO 2020 - Turkey vs Italy***

Cade

GAME ON!

Group A's first game, coming from the Stadio Olympico, Rome, Italy.

rome-pic-data.jpg

The usual Qualifying round-up is hard to draw any conclusions from, as regular qualifying for this tournament ended almost 18 months ago(!)

Some players have retired, some new players have come in, player form is wildly different, some managers have changed......and so on.

So, I'll include Nation's League, World Cup Qualifiation and friendly performances too in an attempt to work out who's actually good. 

Y86qV9e.png

Turkey are a team growing in confidence with every game. They're really on to something. (except for in the Nations League, see below)

In Qualifying they finished with 23 points from 10 games, ending just 2 points behind group winners France.

They only lost 1 game; a 2-1 defeat away to Iceland.

They took 4 points off the French during qualifying.

In the 20/21 Nations League, though, they ended bottom of their group (Hungary, Russia, Serbia, Turkey) with 1 win, 3 draws and 2 losses.
Relegated to League C.
They also ended bottom of their group in the 18/19 Nations League.

But then in World Cup Qualification they've gone back to being good again.

Beat Netherlands 4-2.
Beat Norway 3-0.
Drew 3-3 with mighty Latvia. 

Friendlies are always hard to draw any conclusion from. Teams can play just for fitness, to avoid injury, to try out new formations and tactics, give young guys a fair go....etc etc

They beat Azerbaijan and Moldova, drew to Guinea.

If they play like they do in WC and EUROs qualifying, they'll do well.

If they pish about like they do in Nations League, they'll not get out the group.

Are they a good team that simply don't care about the Nation's League? Or are they just a team that blows hot and cold?

RBoQWHl.png

Italy are Italy. Solid. 

In Qualifying they skooshed their group, winning all 10 matches and ending with a GD of +33.

It may have been a pish group (Italy, Finland, Greece, Bosnia, Armenia, Liechtenstein) but you still have to put the work in.

In the 20/21 Nations League they topped their group (Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Bosnia) with 3 wins and 3 draws.
The later stages of that tournament haven't taken place yet.

In World Cup Qualification they've won all three games so far, beating Northern Ireland, Bulgaria and Lithuania.

As with their EURO 2020 Quali group, they've got an easy ride.

Friendlies have seen them beat San Marino and the Czech Republic, both by big margins to nil.

They've not lost a game in ages.

10th Sept 2018 was their last defeat, a 1-0 loss to Portugal in the 18/19 Nations League. Portugal would go on to win the entire tournament.

Italy may keep getting easy group draws but they do still keep winning.

Not having had a proper test may come back to haunt them but confidence is high.

With 51 matches in this tournament, nae danger am I doing one thread per game this time around.

It'll be 1 thread per day with all that day's matches included and previewed at the start of the day.

uMkLIuh.gif

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JackLadd

• Cade

• Mikey1874

• Homme

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

GAME ON!

rome-pic-data.jpg

The usual Qualifying round-up is hard to draw any conclusions from, as regular qualifying for this tournament ended almost 18 months ago(!)

Some players have retired, some new players have come in, player form is wildly different, some managers have changed......and so on.

So, I'll include Nation's League, World Cup Qualifiation and friendly performances too in an attempt to work out who's actually good. 

Y86qV9e.png

Turkey are a team growing in confidence with every game. They're really on to something. (except for in the Nations League, see below)

In Qualifying they finished with 23 points from 10 games, ending just 2 points behind group winners France.

In the 20/21 Nations League, though, they ended bottom of their group (Hungary, Russia, Serbia, Turkey) with 1 win, 3 draws and 2 losses.
Relegated to League C.

Beat Netherlands 4-2.
Beat Norway 3-0.

Friendlies are always hard to draw any conclusion from. Teams can play just for fitness, to avoid injury, to try out new formations and tactics, give young guys a fair go....etc etc

If they pish about like they do in Nations League, they'll not get out the group.

Are they a good team that simply don't care about the Nation's League? Or are they just a team that blows hot and cold?

RBoQWHl.png

Italy are Italy. Solid. 

In Qualifying they skooshed their group, winning all 10 matches and ending with a GD of +33.

It may have been a pish group (Italy, Finland, Greece, Bosnia, Armenia, Liechtenstein) but you still have to put the work in.

In the 20/21 Nations League they topped their group (Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Bosnia) with 3 wins and 3 draws.

In World Cup Qualification they've won all three games so far, beating Northern Ireland, Bulgaria and Lithuania.

Friendlies have seen them beat San Marino and the Czech Republic, both by big margins to nil.

10th Sept 2018 was their last defeat, a 1-0 loss to Portugal in the 18/19 Nations League. Portugal would go on to win the entire tournament.

Not having had a proper test may come back to haunt them but confidence is high.

With 51 matches in this tournament, nae danger am I doing one thread per game this time around.

It'll be 1 thread per day with all that day's matches included and previewed at the start of the day.

uMkLIuh.gif

👍

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

GAME ON!

rome-pic-data.jpg

Y86qV9e.png

Relegated to League C.

Beat Netherlands 4-2.
Beat Norway 3-0.

RBoQWHl.png

Italy are Italy. Solid. 

uMkLIuh.gif

tenor (1).gif

A comfortable 2-0 win for my tip for the tournament, The Azzuri.

28 games unbeaten and that should run into the early 30s at least this Summer.

I fancy Turkey for a wee 1-0 or 2-1 upset tonight.  No "one reason" why, but I suspect it will be an interesting game.

TyphoonJambo

Bookies have my cash and its on an Italy to win the whole ish. 9/1

6 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I fancy Turkey for a wee 1-0 or 2-1 upset tonight.  No "one reason" why, but I suspect it will be an interesting game.

Turkey have 0 chance of a win tonight IMO.

9 minutes ago, smiler said:

I think Turkey might just get a result here.
It’s got a Desmond written all over it.

Aye I reckon score draw in this one.

Rogue Daddy

I've taken Italy to win the tournament... haven't been beaten since 2018 (Portugal 1-0) and since then have played 27, won 22, drawn 5 and conceded only 7 goals.

Rogue Daddy
13 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Bookies have my cash and its on an Italy to win the whole ish. 9/1

👍 ditto

Fancy Italy to win the tournament but this could be a slip up as they're often slow starters.

Turkey seem decent but they were lucky to beat the Dutch 4-2.

18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Cani see it tonight mate.

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye I reckon score draw in this one.

Dangerous to write off the Turks, confidence is oozing through them right now mate.

Nice one on doing the match threads again 👍

46 minutes ago, smiler said:

I think Turkey might just get a result here.
It’s got a Desmond written all over it.

Agree, turkey are no mugs. Yilmaz the danger man. Go for a close game but home advantage to be key

2 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Agree, turkey are no mugs. Yilmaz the danger man. Go for a close game but home advantage to be key

Three Lille players in there and we know what they done this season.

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Three Lille players in there and we know what they done this season.

Could be dark horses. First match likely to be cagey but you’re right about the Lille players. 
going to be cracking no matter what 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

First match in a tournament is generally a disappointment. 

Yeah thanks for your positive contribution.

Killjoy.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Turkey have 0 chance of a win tonight IMO.

51 minutes ago, smiler said:

Cani see it tonight mate.

:vrface:

Fancy their chances tomorrow though :lol:

20 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Maybe I'm being dim, but is this game not being played tomorrow? 

It is, but I thought I'd start the first match thread a day early to get the hype going.

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

It is, but I thought I'd start the first match thread a day early to get the hype going.

More than allowed.

Some of us have afternoon drinking tomorrow. No time to digest anything !

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

Fair do's! 

Some great analysis in the OP - I could have done with that for each team before doing my work predictor comp! 

Living in Belgium, I hope they do well.  Last chance for their golden generation.  I tip France, but for an outside flutter, Italy.  A regenerated team on the rise IMO

Edited by BelgeJambo

Fire_At_The_Disco
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

First match in a tournament is generally a disappointment. 

Sake Dave, pished in everyone’s cornflakes😞

4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I always thought that the holders usually kick off the tournament. 

In the World Cup aye.

Euro 2016 kicked off with France/Romania even though Spain won Euro 2012.
Euro 2012 kicked off with Poland/Greece even though Spain won Euro 2008.

Euro 2008 kicked off with Switzerland/Czech Republic even though Greece won Euro 2004.

Euro 2004 kicked off with Portugal/Greece even though France won Euro 2000.

Maroon Sailor

Depends how the Italians approach this

It will either be a cagey game or Turkey will get a good stuffing

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Depends how the Italians approach this

It will either be a cagey game or Turkey will get a good stuffing

Plus trimmings I hope. 

CloustonHMFC

I know Turkey have played some decent football recently but I honestly can't see past the Azzuri for this one. 2-0 Italy.

davemclaren
Just now, CloustonHMFC said:

I know Turkey have played some decent football recently but I honestly can't see past the Azzuri for this one. 2-0 Italy.

Agreed. Italy win. 

4 hours ago, tian447 said:

Mm Italy havnt lost at home since 1999 50 odd games 39 wins & 11 draws so………

39 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Mm Italy havnt lost at home since 1999 50 odd games 39 wins & 11 draws so………

Right, and Celtic won the Scottish Premiership 9 times in a row in recent years before spunking it up against the wall, and were also 69 games unbeaten before we pumped them 4-0 at Tynecastle.  Track record doesn't always mean anything in football. 

Turkey have been scoring lots of goals, and took 4 points off France in qualifying. They are no mugs.

Edited by tian447

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Right, and Celtic won the Scottish Premiership 9 times in a row in recent years before spunking it up against the wall, and were also 69 games unbeaten before we pumped them 4-0 at Tynecastle.  Track record doesn't always mean anything in football. 

Turkey have been scoring lots of goals, and took 4 points off France in qualifying. They are no mugs.

They're no mugs but they're no Italy.

Comfortable for the Italians.

6 minutes ago, Homme said:

They're no mugs but they're no Italy.

Comfortable for the Italians.

agree 3 or 4-0 for mancini's men

Since it’s turned into a ‘who’s going to win the tournament thread, instead of the intended Turkey v Italy thread.:

I hope France get knocked out as soon as possible. Italy get humiliated as soon as possible and that England (apart from in the game against us) do ok.

Turkey v Italy?   2-2 is my prediction.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
16 hours ago, Ominous said:

Italy 1-0. Immobile penalty.

Well, the goalie will have to be immobile, at least until the ba's kicked. 😁

I'll get my coat...