Celebrations for our 150th birthday in 2024

Fxxx the SPFL

Fxxx the SPFL

I remember our first match in 1974 against Motherwell we had some sort of muted 100th celebration i think. I know it's three years away but anyone like to suggest ideas for that historical landmark.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I remember our first match in 1974 against Motherwell we had some sort of muted 100th celebration i think. I know it's three years away but anyone like to suggest ideas for that historical landmark.

Hopefully I can get an updated Evening News poster to go with my 1974 one to mark the occasion. 😄

7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Raise the premiership winners flag obvs

After we have had our 8th Jag we should at least be able to have a full house by then :lol: 

gordon simpson
57 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Fly a plane trailing a banner at the back of it 

Will be a socially distanced zoom party with tea and scones the way it is going.  

32 minutes ago, cheetah said:

After we have had our 8th Jag we should at least be able to have a full house by then :lol: 

And that's if Sturgeon let's you 😂

John Findlay
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

We won 2-0, Donald Ford scoring both. One a penalty at the school end if memory serves me correctly.

We played Spurs in the centenary game, drawing 1-1. I can remember both sets of players kicking footballs into the crowd, one hundred in total.

I was in my element. Jim Cruikshank in goal at one end, and Pat Jennings in goal at the other, goalkeeping heaven.

32 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Will be a socially distanced zoom party with tea and scones the way it is going.  

:laugh2:

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

After we have had our 8th Jag we should at least be able to get out the house by then :lol: 

FTFY

I was just 6 in 1974 so have little, if any, memory of it. First game was 1975, occasional thereafter, and became a regular in 1979/80.

Couple of questions for those who did experience it up close:

Was the centenary "season" 1973/74 or 1974/75? If the latter did the poor start impact celebrations and did that defeat in 1973 cast a shadow?

Would be nice to win a trophy between now and the centenary, let alone in 2024 itself.

Should be the twin aim, imo.

51 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We won 2-0, Donald Ford scoring both. One a penalty at the school end if memory serves me correctly.

We played Spurs in the centenary game, drawing 1-1. I can remember both sets of players kicking footballs into the crowd, one hundred in total.

I was in my element. Jim Cruikshank in goal at one end, and Pat Jennings in goal at the other, goalkeeping heaven.

Sure Kenny Garland was in goals for Hearts that day, Cruickie probably in the midst of one of his numerous disputes 

Gav Aitchison
50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hi John, on a tangent and wholly off topic, your signature seems to have diddled us out of one of our Scottish Cups. You've got it as 7 instead of 8!

29 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

The Craig Levien stand? 

I was thinking more the Steven Pressley stand....

Since it’s 150 years how about Tom Purdie getting a mention?

Riccarton3
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

:sadrobbo:

Well,its going to take them a while to get there. They can return the favour in 140 years

davemclaren
Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Well,its going to take them a while to get there. They can return the favour in 140 years

Good point. 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Gav Aitchison said:

Hi John, on a tangent and wholly off topic, your signature seems to have diddled us out of one of our Scottish Cups. You've got it as 7 instead of 8!

I know. Trust me have tried to change it lots of times on my phone but to no joy.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, martoon said:

I was just 6 in 1974 so have little, if any, memory of it. First game was 1975, occasional thereafter, and became a regular in 1979/80.

Couple of questions for those who did experience it up close:

Was the centenary "season" 1973/74 or 1974/75? If the latter did the poor start impact celebrations and did that defeat in 1973 cast a shadow?

It was the  from January 74 through to December 74. Covered the second half of the 73/74 season and the first half of the 74/75 season.

01/01/73 came under the second half of the 72/73 season. Being only 11 in April 74, I cant really say how much of a shadow it cast. I do think winning 4-1 on the 08/09/73 helped a bit. We did lose 3-1 at ER on the 01/01/74, after Donald Ford putting us 1 up in the first couple of minutes of that game.

davemclaren

I wonder if any of our 1960 league winning or 1962 league cup winning players will still be around and able to maybe get involved?

A Shoreditch Heart
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I wonder if any of our 1960 league winning or 1962 league cup winning players will still be around and able to maybe get involved?

I was (very) young and at the Spurs game in August '74 Dave, but I don't really remember any big pre match build up at the time - did much happen?

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

I was (very) young and at the Spurs game in August '74 Dave, but I don't really remember any big pre match build up at the time - did much happen?

I think there was a reception in the centenary club/roseberry suite for distinguished guests and ex players. As a 17 year old I wasn’t invited. 

My dad did get me the Evening News Souvenir poster though which is now framed and on my wall. 

4 hours ago, cheetah said:

:rofl:

57 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was the  from January 74 through to December 74. Covered the second half of the 73/74 season and the first half of the 74/75 season.

01/01/73 came under the second half of the 72/73 season. Being only 11 in April 74, I cant really say how much of a shadow it cast. I do think winning 4-1 on the 08/09/73 helped a bit. We did lose 3-1 at ER on the 01/01/74, after Donald Ford putting us 1 up in the first couple of minutes of that game.

Cheers, JF.

Thought it might be like Celtic who appeared to make 1987/88 their centenary season.

Don't recall them being that fussed about '88/89.

The 1973 game is a strange one for me in that, I don't remember it and by the late '70's when I was 10/11, it already felt like ancient history.

I turn 53 in a few weeks. It's ridiculous that any Hibby, my age or under, can feel any genuine joy about it. They were either too young or not even born.

Didn't stop thousands of the unborn being there, though.

Funny that.

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

I was thinking more the Steven Pressley stand....

Since it’s 150 years how about Tom Purdie getting a mention?

Good call.

Hated the Hibernians.

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Cheers, JF.

Thought it might be like Celtic who appeared to make 1987/88 their centenary season.

Don't recall them being that fussed about '88/89.

The 1973 game is a strange one for me in that, I don't remember it and by the late '70's when I was 10/11, it already felt like ancient history.

I turn 53 in a few weeks. It's ridiculous that any Hibby, my age or under, can feel any genuine joy about it. They were either too young or not even born.

Didn't stop thousands of the unborn being there, though.

Funny that.

You listen to Hibbies. There was more of them at that game than there were Celtic supporters in Seville!!!!

Preseason centenary game v. Aston Villa might be fitting.

Also 1874 and, like us, have an inferior rival formed in 1875.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You listen to Hibbies. There was more of them at that game than there were Celtic supporters in Seville!!!!

Particularly enjoy the Irvine Welsh fantasy that thousand of Hibs, on hearing the HT news, made the journey from Leith etc. to replace all the Hearts who had left.

A particular achievement for the cloven hoofed unborn.

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Big testimonial match for the departing Loic Damour would be a nice touch.

4 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

A cake 🎂 

:rofl:

Jamstomorrow

If I am still alive in 2024, I think I should be invited as a guest.   No particular reason it should be me and not you, except I got the idea in first.  ;)

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye Ray. Get pished. 

sounds good jonno

airdriejambo3

I have one weird piece of Centenary souvenirs, I have hearts centenary envelope hope I can add a 150 one too.   

6 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Let’s all go to Fester and have a wee!

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, airdriejambo3 said:

I have one weird piece of Centenary souvenirs, I have hearts centenary envelope hope I can add a 150 one too.   

One of these?

image.thumb.jpeg.760c4a0937f6b63524c955b03ad2038b.jpeg

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully I can get an updated Evening News poster to go with my 1974 one to mark the occasion. 😄

Still got one of those somewhere 

6 hours ago, FWJ said:

Naming the stands?  (Tin hat on)

Take it off.  That's a great idea.

airdriejambo3
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of these?

image.thumb.jpeg.760c4a0937f6b63524c955b03ad2038b.jpeg

Thats the very fellow, mines doesn't have the cool stamp though, mines is unmailed. cool though

The Treasurer

I remember the centenary game v Spurs as we were in middle of our holidays in England but me and my dad drove home on the Saturday morning, went to the game and drove back down straight after. Don't think my mum was too pleased with us 🙁

2-0 v Motherwell.  If any of you went to the Festival Tavern in Lothian Road straight after the game, you were served by yours truly.

part_time_jambo
8 hours ago, sadj said:

Raise the premiership winners flag obvs

I'd love to see it, but unless their are radical changes in Scottish football (financial capping/zillionaire backer/ Rangers and Celtic leaving etc) we will go another 150 years without winning it, as will all the other teams except Rangers and Celtic.