Chief executive speaks

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/andrew-mckinlay-speaks-on-imminent-new-signings-at-hearts-and-insists-he-is-not-hiding-from-fans-3266017

Andrew McKinlay speaks on imminent new signings at Hearts and insists he is not hiding from fans

Criticism of Hearts officials hasn’t bypassed Andrew McKinlay despite his minimal public profile.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

Nookie Bear

Not much there but will be interesting to see Part 2 when he explains why Robbie was kept on. 

He seems a decent guy, a safe pair of hands 🤷‍♂️

A_A wehatethehibs

Good to hear from McKinley and as usual, fans just clueless muppets about how things work in reality with this type of changing of the guard.

Lets hope for stability and success, winning the championship was only crossing the starting line. The real job starts now 

Clerry Jambo
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not much there but will be interesting to see Part 2 when he explains why Robbie was kept on. 

He seems a decent guy, a safe pair of hands 🤷‍♂️

Agree nookie not much content really but hopefully some good news on its way

Thankfully he doesn’t come across as one of those irritating self publicist types. Ignore social media and keep working away. 

eyesandears
3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Thankfully he doesn’t come across as one of those irritating self publicist types. Ignore social media and keep working away. 

I saw that comment as a dig at Dempster and Burrows who are never off the radio.

The Treasurer

Not much to get excited about there, but not much to critisise either (although no doubt someone will find fault).

A steady, safe pair of hands working behind the scenes is exactly what we need, so that others can do their job 

eyesandears
1 minute ago, Barack said:

It's appropriate for us but even without that, what a great charity to work with,” said McKinlay. “We are all aware of Doddie Weir, Marius, Robert Wilson, etc. It makes a change looking at social media and seeing positive responses – almost without fail – when you put something out. That includes some Hibs fans as well. It's good to have days like that.”

Think that's being actually quite harsh on Hibs fans, generally. They were very sympathetic when Zal died, and I've not seen too many negative comments, except one or two wee moron kids, making snidey comments.

They were as sympathetic to Ricksen. As were 99.9% of all supporters. It's a human thing, not a footballing thing.

I'm not having a pop at McKinlay. Just reads wrongly to me. Surely folk on here with Hibs friends & family won't have had the link dismissed by them? I'd hope not.

He'd have been better not mentioning Hibs at all. No need.

eyesandears
2 minutes ago, Hairy Nugget said:

Excuse my ignorance but whats a G10 meeting?

Reps from all different fan groups that existed before FoH was created. Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs, Hearts Supporters Trust, Hearts Shareholders Association, Hearts Youth Development Committee and maybe Save Our Hearts. G10 was the first port of call for Bryan Jackson when the club went into admin and they all rallied their members to help get the survival of the club up and running.

ginger jambo98
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's appropriate for us but even without that, what a great charity to work with,” said McKinlay. “We are all aware of Doddie Weir, Marius, Robert Wilson, etc. It makes a change looking at social media and seeing positive responses – almost without fail – when you put something out. That includes some Hibs fans as well. It's good to have days like that.”

Think that's being actually quite harsh on Hibs fans, generally. They were very sympathetic when Zal died, and I've not seen too many negative comments, except one or two wee moron kids, making snidey comments.

They were as sympathetic to Ricksen. As were 99.9% of all supporters. It's a human thing, not a footballing thing.

I'm not having a pop at McKinlay. Just reads wrongly to me. Surely folk on here with Hibs friends & family won't have had the link dismissed by them? I'd hope not.

I don’t see that as harsh, I think he’s saying there was positive responses including some from Hibs fans. All in the reading of it I suppose.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think he was just mentioning that it was good to have a day not getting abuse on social media, even from the enemy. Good to have some positivity about something he’s worked hard on. 

Absolute Scenes
51 minutes ago, Hairy Nugget said:

Excuse my ignorance but whats a G10 meeting?

It’s the one that comes after G9

sorry 😂 I have no idea

Any interview in 'Parts' I don't read, just a bunch of PR waffle. A lot of noise coming out of Hearts this summer, just get it done.

10 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Any interview in 'Parts' I don't read, just a bunch of PR waffle. A lot of noise coming out of Hearts this summer, just get it done.

A tad harsh, as the club needs to be in the media, though ultimately fair. It's just really as story about nothing but I think it's probably a good thing that McKinlay is speaking to the press.

Don't like that interview and can't see him being the long term solution.

Our club needs the executive to show some leadership. Having a CEO who doesn't understand that running a football club is very different to running a normal company is just not going to work.

Like it or not his job requires a high public profile. 

The AB vision of creating a financially stable club has not been achieved. Over spending remains a big problem and the long term future of our club remains at risk until our finances are back under control.  Our club has wasted millions and for what... we are back to square 1, a newly promoted club.

We have to thank Budge for helping secure the funding for our club to get out of administration... but since then her management of our club has been poor.

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

I saw that comment as a dig at Dempster and Burrows who are never off the radio.

Yeah, definitely, he seems good at that type of thing... when we were being demoted last year, he had a couple of similar 'sly' digs at donkey and mccormack on 'Off The Ball', when they were all on. Doesn't say much but gets a point across.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

sandylejambo

If he understands our frustration at some of the performances, why not sack the manager and that's it sorted. Seems quite an easy job he has, but he's just not up to speed yet.

Robbo-Jambo
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

A tad harsh, as the club needs to be in the media, though ultimately fair. It's just really as story about nothing but I think it's probably a good thing that McKinlay is speaking to the press.

Hopefully him speaking to the press at this point means some things are now imminent, like new signings 😃

7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Hopefully him speaking to the press at this point means some things are now imminent, like new signings 😃

I'm champing at the bit for a wee bit signing news. Happy to take this article as a sign that it'll be soon

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Would agree. The two part nature of it is not an example of a PR job, but  more the paper wanting to get most out of an interview so stretches it over a few days. 

He appears to be damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Fans have been demanding he speaks, he speaks to the paper and explains why he has not been as vocal, people say its just PR. 

I can understand the frustration though, words are easy but actions speak much louder. Certainly it appears to be in recent weeks things are moving a lot better, we have launched our season tickets with options that suits as many people as possible, we have a new sponsorship deal that is both good for the club and a charity that has meaning to the club and fans. A new 3rd top is launched that the majority really like (how rare is that.) Obviously its all for nothing if the football side does not deliver so we still need to see the actions on that side.

I took nothing from that interview, except the MND bit. All a bit Meh, a bit blazerish, *very* defensive. Typical SFA-type rather than CEO-type statements. I'm still not convinced that the interests of Hearts will be be sufficiently defended when they come into conflict with SFA, SPFL and Old Firm interests going forward. I suppose we'll see when we come to the first such conflict.

Sorry for the negativity, but as I say, Meh.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would agree. The two part nature of it is not an example of a PR job, but  more the paper wanting to get most out of an interview so stretches it over a few days. 

He appears to be damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Fans have been demanding he speaks, he speaks to the paper and explains why he has not been as vocal, people say its just PR. 

I can understand the frustration though, words are easy but actions speak much louder. Certainly it appears to be in recent weeks things are moving a lot better, we have launched our season tickets with options that suits as many people as possible, we have a new sponsorship deal that is both good for the club and a charity that has meaning to the club and fans. A new 3rd top is launched that the majority really like (how rare is that.) Obviously its all for nothing if the football side does not deliver so we still need to see the actions on that side.

A fair summary I would say. 👍

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Also makes me think that Thursdays evening news will also contain something else from hearts.

"buy the paper on thursday for part 2"

So think we can expect something else in the paper. Maybe just season ticket ads or hospitality package ads. Or maybe the new home or away kit. Or maybe just keep pushing the 3rd kit. Or maybe even a big piece about about MND Scotland as we're doing this to help them lift their profile 

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I took nothing from that interview, except the MND bit. All a bit Meh, a bit blazerish, *very* defensive. Typical SFA-type rather than CEO-type statements. I'm still not convinced that the interests of Hearts will be be sufficiently defended when they come into conflict with SFA, SPFL and Old Firm interests going forward. I suppose we'll see when we come to the first such conflict.

I don’t want to but I agree. IMO a few warning signs in that interview. “Fans want to hear from you every day of every week” - very Robbie-esque way of twisting things.  Most fans were looking for answers around the time of the worst result in our history. This whole strawman approach seems endemic with hearts, twisting the fans reasonable expectation of communication and interaction as some sort of unreasonable rabble. Kinda pissing me off tbh 🤬

Nookie Bear
Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

I don’t want to but I agree. IMO a few warning signs in that interview. “Fans want to hear from you every day of every week” - very Robbie-esque way of twisting things.  Most fans were looking for answers around the time of the worst result in our history. This whole strawman approach seems endemic with hearts, twisting the fans reasonable expectation of communication and interaction as some sort of unreasonable rabble. Kinda pissing me off tbh 🤬

I actually don't want to hear from our Chief Exec every day of the week but i sure as hell do when we produce the worst result in our history.

Explanation for why Robbie was kept on? Months too late.

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Reads kickback ✔

the poor fecker

A_A wehatethehibs
33 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Our club needs the executive to show some leadership. Having a CEO who doesn't understand that running a football club is very different to running a normal company is just not going to work.

The AB vision of creating a financially stable club has not been achieved. Over spending remains a big problem and the long term future of our club remains at risk until our finances are back under control.  Our club has wasted millions and for what... we are back to square 1, a newly promoted club.

We have to thank Budge for helping secure the funding for our club to get out of administration... but since then her management of our club has been poor.

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I actually don't want to hear from our Chief Exec every day of the week but i sure as hell do when we produce the worst result in our history.

Explanation for why Robbie was kept on? Months too late.

You've got to give the guy a chance.

This last season has been literally a transitional season where things have been completely reorganised with the exit of Levein, that left a black hole inside the running of the club, so you've got to draw the line and start looking forwards. 

These new guys McKinlay and Savage are now in the building, the whole show reorganised, Levein is gone. It's time to give them their chance. Obviously they're not going to storm into the club and rashly sack the manager who has won promotion over 1 cup loss. It is ****ing ridiculous to have these type of expectations and then now have a pop at him when he's formally taking the reigns over in full from Budge.

The positive is, the reaction to brora ensures, very early on in their time with this club, now very well educated on the size of the club and the expectations of the club. It may next season turn out that Neilson was a transitional manager as well, but he's took the club back up so he will fully deservedly get his chance. The last 3 managers Cathro, Levein, Stendel - failed in their objectives. Neilson has completed his primary objective for season 20-21. You just do not get sacked for that. Neilson's boss isn't his mate Levein anymore. It's new men who will now have seen what's happened, and be well well clear on the expectations for next season.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good to hear from McKinley and as usual, fans just clueless muppets about how things work in reality with this type of changing of the guard.

Lets hope for stability and success, winning the championship was only crossing the starting line. The real job starts now 

Just as well you are not the CEO.

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This last season has been literally a transitional season where things have been completely reorganised with the exit of Levein, that left a black hole inside the running of the club, so you've got to draw the line and start looking forwards. 

These new guys McKinlay and Savage are now in the building, the whole show reorganised, Levein is gone. It's time to give them their chance. Obviously they're not going to storm into the club and rashly sack the manager who has won promotion over 1 cup loss. It is ****ing ridiculous to have these type of expectations and then now have a pop at him when he's formally taking the reigns over in full from Budge.

The positive is, the reaction to brora ensures, very early on in their time with this club, now very well educated on the size of the club and the expectations of the club. It may next season turn out that Neilson was a transitional manager as well, but he's took the club back up so he will fully deservedly get his chance. The last 3 managers Cathro, Levein, Stendel - failed in their objectives. Neilson has completed his primary objective for season 20-21. You just do not get sacked for that. Neilson's boss isn't his mate Levein anymore. It's new men who will now have seen what's happened, and be well well clear on the expectations for next season.

A handful of thoughts. Firstly, with the way that football is these days, *every* season is transitional in some way or another. The "transitional" excuse is far too often bandied about .

Secondly, none of the posts you quoted suggested that Robbie should be sacked for the cup loss.

Thirdly, although I think he wasn't the man for the job and don't think he could have turned it around before the end of the season, Stendel only failed in his objectives because of the SPFL's decision to end the league early.

Lastly, things should never need to be "completely reorganised" in any organisation. If that has been the case for Hearts then it speaks volumes for how badly things were organised beforehand.

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A handful of thoughts. Firstly, with the way that football is these days, *every* season is transitional in some way or another. The "transitional" excuse is far too often bandied about .

Secondly, none of the posts you quoted suggested that Robbie should be sacked for the cup loss.

Thirdly, although I think he wasn't the man for the job and don't think he could have turned it around before the end of the season, Stendel only failed in his objectives because of the SPFL's decision to end the league early.

Lastly, things should never need to be "completely reorganised" in any organisation. If that has been the case for Hearts then it speaks volumes for how badly things were organised beforehand.

First - the previous seasons were not transitional, we had a long term director and a long term failure. He’s now been out the club for the full year. They don’t deserve that pessimism. None out of Mckinlay, savage, nor Neilson have played a part in the failings that led us down to the championship. They have led us out of the championship.

Second, yours wasn’t but 2 of them were. And the negativity seen in the posts, directed towards the man, started after Brora when the thread labelling him a joker was made

Third, just call a spade a spade. Stendel got 3 wins out of 15 when he was brought in to turn things round in the league. That’s not turning things round. Yes he suffered an injustice but the results were not there for him. 

Finally, well it’s easy to say that from the sidelines but end of the day that’s what has happened. Budge put her trust in Levein but we know that it has been an executive level failing. 1 man has had too much control and influence, but that’s not a reason not to give these 2 new guys who’ve joined the club their chance to look forwards to their first full season and try to get some optimism going again. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

36 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Communication with the fans is one of the main requirements of his job. He needs to be ready to do this or it just wont work. 

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Communication with the fans is one of the main requirements of his job. He needs to be ready to do this or it just wont work. 

:spoton:

I genuinely don’t give much credence to much of what comes out of Hearts these days, AB, the board and the players have all told us lots of things we want to hear over the last few years yet we ended up in the championship again. Let’s see these words turned into results and I’ll pay more attention. I’ve no doubt off the pitch they get things right but on it is where we need to hear less and see more.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

:sweeet:

the sort of interview you would expect from ex-sfa and appointed by budge

pinning my hopes on joe savage being a genius who can carry these turnips

3 hours ago, eyesandears said:

And Mr Aberdeen who is probably the most self absorbed of them all

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

:sweeet:

the sort of interview you would expect from ex-sfa and appointed by budge

pinning my hopes on joe savage being a genius who can carry these turnips

Was Savage not appointed by Budge?

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, McCrae said:

See if he says nothing, not one interview in years, but the Hearts academy starts producing international quality players, the club grows to record attendences, thriving revenues and has more cash to fund Boyce type purchases, and in those transfers recruits really good performers who are good value, and the team gets European football and cups? Who will give a toss about him giving enough interviews? That’s what he’s saying. The actual performance objectives of the club is his primary remit as far as I’m concerned. 

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Barack said:

I took that as him just pointing out that the fact some hibs fans had actually made comment on it despite it not being anything to do with their club just underlines how widely supported a cause it is. I don't think it was meant, or comes across, as a dig at hibs fans in any way.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was Savage not appointed by Budge?

yes probably - I didn’t say I was confident 😃

no where else to pin the hopes that I can see

15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I took that as him just pointing out that the fact some hibs fans had actually made comment on it despite it not being anything to do with their club just underlines how widely supported a cause it is. I don't think it was meant, or comes across, as a dig at hibs fans in any way.

Indeed 🤣

This place is so predictable - a few folk debating it - same ones as always seeing stuff thats not there and the one that says we are in financial turmoil.

personally - arsed hearing from a ceo everyday - more hes in the background the better , same with the SD.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
24 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

in the context of MND the hibs comment was ill-advised - surely meant with good intentions but could and has come across as crass to some

posters on this thread who are normally very patient with the budge regime (ie not me) uncomfortable with it tells you all you need to know

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Jambof3tornado

Nothing changes until Ann leaves the building.

Good to hear from him but why now?? Oh yup season tickets time, not a peep when we were trying to throw away a piss easy championship,or avoiding cup runs!!

Hagar the Horrible

OK I get it, the best CEO you should not know they exist, as they are doing their jobs quietly behind the scenes.  But I want to know the rational behind keeping Robbie, he crawled over the finish line when a canter would have been adequate, but a sprint could easily have been done, and we should have settled a few scores.  Also why has Robbie won 3 chamionships, with 2 clubs and in all 3 times in 10 cup compititions he has bailed both the Arabs and us out very early. The Brora result was beyond criminal, yet RN, AB and our CEO have been not the slightest bothered.

I want to know how long will it take after more eye bleeding football and a string of bad results will it take before the trigger is pulled on Robbie?  WE can all see whats coming with 20/20 foresight, even if we win it wont be pretty.

I also want to know should we not bother buying tickets for cup ties as we look to plan an exit out ASAP.  10 cup exits is a pattern not a conspiricy.

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nothing changes until Ann leaves the building.

Good to hear from him but why now?? Oh yup season tickets time, not a peep when we were trying to throw away a piss easy championship,or avoiding cup runs!!

He was just confirmed as taking over all day to day operations a week or two ago. I imagine we will be hearing more from him going forward.