Graffiti Edinburgh

Rudy T

The Gorgie
13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Theres 1000s of folk go to Tynecastle who dont live in Edinburgh. If the place is that bad theres nothing stopping you from leaving.

Go for it.

I don't live in it, just work in it. 

been here before
6 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

I don't live in it, just work in it. 

So its not just Tynecastle then.

Perhaps a new job might be an idea then in a place you think is less of a shit hole, perhaps in whatever urban utopia it is that you currently live in. 

Then you'd only have to drag yourself in once every couple of weeks.

The Gorgie
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

So its not just Tynecastle then.

Perhaps a new job might be an idea then in a place you think is less of a shit hole, perhaps in whatever urban utopia it is that you currently live in. 

Then you'd only have to drag yourself in once every couple of weeks.

One step ahead of you, handed my notice in last week. So thankfully as of next week the only time I'll need to come to Edinburgh is for Hearts games 👍🏻

20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

This has been a topic before as we discussed her classic early 1990s graffiti about “ Marilyn Clark “ which was written all over the city centre . The graffiti said “ Marilyn Clark is a wee wee blonde bitch “ “ Marilyn Clark is a cow “ etc ! There were regular  updates about her ! Never got to the bottom of who she was and who the disgruntled ex was ! 

you checked her for facebook 

been here before
9 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

One step ahead of you, handed my notice in last week. So thankfully as of next week the only time I'll need to come to Edinburgh is for Hearts games 👍🏻

Thats the way.

Harry Potter
21 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Again, agree. The lack of any attempt by the council to fine those not picking up dugshit and stop littering Disgraceful. 

Aye dog poo on the golf course is a nightmare, get that on your golf shoes, put you right aff yer game.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I can see your point about them attracting some other people’s outside but where else would they have these “ crisis centres “ ? I used to work at the homeless hostel at Potter row which was run by the Benidictine Brothers ( basically Catholic Church ) and it was heart breaking to hear some of the older residents stories of how they had reached that point in their lives . It can happen to anyone 

I fully support crisis centres for the reason that they are intended namely 'battered wives' etc.  I have this poignant vision of a woman with a few belongings carrying a child knocking on the door with a bruised face.  This is the reasoning I would not only support but jump through hoops to do every possible thing in my power to help with.  However the reality could not be further from this.  A whole bunch of loud, boisterous, drunken druggies, never contributed to society in their lives, mostly not even from the UK - littering, pissing round the corner, leaving rubbish and letting their dogs (always at least one with a dog) shit everywhere.  I pass the 2 of Holyrood road most days  - this is not an exaggeration.

Putting 2 more there means 4 times the mess etc.  Get these no good scumbags to **** and make these most valuable places for those it is intended for.  

Edited by i8hibsh

17 hours ago, Rudy T said:

What is the point of this tagging? See who can deface the most buildings? Do the names have some meaning, I’m an old cogger these days I just don’t get it?

There is a hierarchy involved. The higher the tag the more (insert your own adjective) you are. A pecking order. The top tag usually has a crown. To sign yourself at the bottom must mean your self esteem must be pretty low - maybe read some self help literature.

Sign at the top and you may have an over inflated sense of self worth. A spot of humility is in order.

In the middle are the goldilocks tags, just right.

Saying that, if you really have to assert your personality in a tramps alfresco bog you are sadly one of life's losers anyway. So it's all relative.

2 hours ago, westbow said:

There is a hierarchy involved. The higher the tag the more (insert your own adjective) you are. A pecking order. The top tag usually has a crown. To sign yourself at the bottom must mean your self esteem must be pretty low - maybe read some self help literature.

Sign at the top and you may have an over inflated sense of self worth. A spot of humility is in order.

In the middle are the goldilocks tags, just right.

Saying that, if you really have to assert your personality in a tramps alfresco bog you are sadly one of life's losers anyway. So it's all relative.

Good grief! I had no idea of the politics involved in defacing other people's property.

On 08/06/2021 at 12:47, i8hibsh said:

The entire city is a shitehole.  Graffiti, dog shit, rubbish, covid masks, fag ends, beer cans, pot holes and every second slab is uneven and people are falling all over the place.

I pass the Cowgate most days and there, St Mary's St, Holyrood Road, Pleasance is now resembling something form the third world.

I wrote and complained to the council recently, got the old ‘thanks, we will send a team out to clean up’ then next day it is a shit fest again.

Alleyways reeking of stale piss and no good vagrant pieces of shite loitering as they continue to contribute **** all to society.

In the Cowgate vicinity there is a crisis centre and a salvation army house.  Crisis centres are a great idea as they are designed for battered wives and who would not support a safe zone for them.  However, all these places are filled up with are no good wasters, non UK nationals, druggies and alkies.  I see them everyday, the same folk usually with their dogs (who shit everywhere) – nothing is being done.

I heard from a policewoman friend of mine that 2 more ‘crisis centres’ are being planned for this area.  It is going to get worse and worse.

Edinburgh is a ****ing shithole and those in charge should hang their heads in shame!

I used to be so proud of our beautiful city.

It has gone way down hill.

Such a shame.

Nothing gets fixed or cleaned or emptied.

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye dog poo on the golf course is a nightmare, get that on your golf shoes, put you right aff yer game.

My first drive usually makes me sick of the game,followed by by next five shots and three putts, just stubborness keeps me playing.😁

JudyJudyJudy
51 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

A maroon Rudi 5-1 daubed over the Vermin shithole would be a work of art indeed.

👍 I’m afraid there is no such thing as “ art “ in any form in Leith 

kawasakijambo
On 09/06/2021 at 17:56, Sharpie said:

My first drive usually makes me sick of the game,followed by by next five shots and three putts, just stubborness keeps me playing.😁

I was like that in my twenties, golf is a "character builder".

And you can use any sweary word you want.

indianajones
On 08/06/2021 at 12:47, i8hibsh said:

The entire city is a shitehole.  Graffiti, dog shit, rubbish, covid masks, fag ends, beer cans, pot holes and every second slab is uneven and people are falling all over the place.

I pass the Cowgate most days and there, St Mary's St, Holyrood Road, Pleasance is now resembling something form the third world.

I wrote and complained to the council recently, got the old ‘thanks, we will send a team out to clean up’ then next day it is a shit fest again.

Alleyways reeking of stale piss and no good vagrant pieces of shite loitering as they continue to contribute **** all to society.

In the Cowgate vicinity there is a crisis centre and a salvation army house.  Crisis centres are a great idea as they are designed for battered wives and who would not support a safe zone for them.  However, all these places are filled up with are no good wasters, non UK nationals, druggies and alkies.  I see them everyday, the same folk usually with their dogs (who shit everywhere) – nothing is being done.

I heard from a policewoman friend of mine that 2 more ‘crisis centres’ are being planned for this area.  It is going to get worse and worse.

Edinburgh is a ****ing shithole and those in charge should hang their heads in shame!

Have to agree.

I dont live in Edinburgh anymore but was shocked the last time i drove through most the North, East, Central and West of the city fairly recently. 

Its looking extremely run down. Not the Edinburgh i remember. 

A Boy Named Crow
On 08/06/2021 at 23:22, JamesM48 said:

Graffiti is arty at times , fair livens up the monochrome beige and gray of Edinburgh in my opinion 

Agreed,  below are some examples of the graffiti in Sydney. These are from Newtown, where the locals take pride in what's on the walls, it's part of the character of the area.

It's a far cry from some banger putting his tag on a bus stop...but this kind of thing needs buy in from the whole community.  Imagine how long something like the works below would take, they wouldn't even get started without an Embra curtain twitcher phoning the police on them...

image.png.6bc55b9dae661d69dd3db5676e3d1dc6.png

image.png.d2431a9dc5d534a82095774722278f56.png

image.png.e0e6026b4aa3918c81837dd6a5179042.png

I.M.H.O. This is Mostly students and so called street artists,go anywhere  in Europe  you see this Barcelona,Madrid,Paris,Prague etc it’s a common theme 

Going to solve a wee graffiti mystery for you all.

On the Edinburgh University building opposite Blackwell's Books, is written "Ken More". Its been there since the early 90's.

Ken More (or Kenny More) is a guy i used to work with. When there was work being done on the University, he innocently painted his name on the wall as the brushes were brand new & in a pot of what he thought was water. Turns out the water was a corrosive chemical and stained his name there permanently. And voilà the mystery is now solved :smile:

Edited by Pap

4 hours ago, Pap said:

On the Edinburgh University building opposite Blackwell's Books, is written "Ken More". Its been there since the early 90's.

Ken More (or Kenny More) is a guy i used to work with. When there was work being done on the University, he innocently painted his name on the wall as the brushes were brand new & in a pot of what he thought was water. Turns out the water was a corrosive chemical and stained his name there permanently. And voilà the mystery is now solved :smile:

There could hardly be a more appropriate name to adorn a university wall. :lol: 

46 minutes ago, Boof said:

There could hardly be a more appropriate name to adorn a university wall. :lol: 

I never even thought of that :laugh:

A Boy Named Crow
13 hours ago, Pap said:

Doesn't sound accidental to me. A bit like writing a word, or an image in weed killer on someone's lawn. He was after the delayed gratification. 

Governor Tarkin
On 13/06/2021 at 07:07, A Boy Named Crow said:

Agreed,  below are some examples of the graffiti in Sydney. These are from Newtown, where the locals take pride in what's on the walls, it's part of the character of the area.

I once lived in a squat just down the road from there. It was a an interesting wee place.

I returned a couple of years ago to find the gentrification had been stepped right up.

A Boy Named Crow
27 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I once lived in a squat just down the road from there. It was a an interesting wee place.

I returned a couple of years ago to find the gentrification had been stepped right up.

Aye, it's a cracking area. The "gentrification" is mental though. This weekend I saw a nice enough, but not in any way stunning, house in Erskinville go for $2.5million. I doubt squats are tolerated these days. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Aye, it's a cracking area. The "gentrification" is mental though. This weekend I saw a nice enough, but not in any way stunning, house in Erskinville go for $2.5million. I doubt squats are tolerated these days. 

It was actually St Peters I was in, just past the old brickworks. It was demolished to make way for posh flats or some such like. We moved out the morning the bulldozer appeared in the front garden.

A Boy Named Crow
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was actually St Peters I was in, just past the old brickworks. It was demolished to make way for posh flats or some such like. We moved out the morning the bulldozer appeared in the front garden.

Waterloo, Zetland, St Peter's...lots of shiny new blocks going up, that'll be miserable and tatty next week...

Lots of folk making a fortune off building high density towers in concrete jungles...I wonder if that's ever been tried before 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

9 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Doesn't sound accidental to me. A bit like writing a word, or an image in weed killer on someone's lawn. He was after the delayed gratification. 

I'll tell him to lie low for a bit.

A Crow Named McCabe.

:laugh: