e Scooters 🛵

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

What's your opinion  on escooters, should they not have to be registered and owner's need to have a licence with insurance with proper high vision vest with lights , they seem too dangerous for the pavements and roads, cutting over pedestrian crossings used by many pissed up persons with no responsibility for others on the streets 

I wouldn't imagine cyclist's would welcome them in their new segregated lane's 

They just don't appear to be safe and there is no fitness value for them 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

3 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

What's your opinion  on escooters, should they not have to be registered and owner's need to have a licence with insurance with proper high vision vest with lights , they seem too dangerous for the pavements and roads, cutting over pedestrian crossings used by many pissed up persons with no responsibility for others on the streets 

To me, they should be treated the same as bikes. If an e bike is ok to use, then so should the scooter as well.

I get overcome with embarrassment everytime I see an adult whizzing along in them.  As if cyclists couldn't annoy me enough we now have these bellends to deal with.  The people who ride them are the people who spend all day everyday narrating their insipid lives and virtue signalling to a bunch of randoms on Facebook.

They will no doubt have those digital things on thier wrists that gives them around the clock access to their social media accounts for that 1 second of their waking days without their phones in their hands.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I get overcome with embarrassment everytime I see an adult whizzing along in them.  As if cyclists couldn't annoy me enough we now have these bellends to deal with.  The people who ride them are the people who spend all day everyday narrating their insipid lives and virtue signalling to a bunch of randoms on Facebook.

They will no doubt have those digital things on thier wrists that gives them around the clock access to their social media accounts for that 1 second of their waking days without their phones in their hands.

Did well to avoid using the term ‘woke’ there for a full house. 😎

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Next lime I whizz past you I'll boot you up the arse. 👍

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Next lime I whizz past you I'll boot you up the arse. 👍

I will be too busy looking at my e watch.

King prawn

They’re very popular here. Can travel up to 25 km/h and I haven’t used one since I was going home one night, hit a curb head on in the dark and flew over the handlebars :facepalm:  Yes, I’m an idiot. 

Edited by King prawn
Typo

King prawn
Just now, Lord BJ said:

I quite fancy one, the look good fun. If they sorted the legalities around them I’d be very tempted to get one. 

I don’t even have a Facebook account either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@King prawnwhere is here for you?

Madrid. There are 6 or 7 companies that have them along with mopeds and cars that you can access with Qr codes. The cars are electric and many of them look like they’ve been involved in banger racing :lol: 

where i live is one of the trials of them. you are supposed to have a driving licence to be able to use one through the app however i see yoots too young to have a DL on them.

Also a couple of weeks ago someone was convicted of drink driving on one

King prawn
Just now, Cade said:

Dangerous and unregulated.

Too fast for pavements, too exposed for roads.

Id agree with this. In cities where there are plenty of cycle paths it can work but I can envisage them being a complete disaster in Edinburgh. Any hill scuppers you for example. 

There are weight limits to them, after 16 months of covid restrictions I am more suited to a ****ing mobility scooter.

Ron Burgundy

I popped into the Electric bike and scooter shop opposite the EICC when I went up for my covid jag just for a nosey.

Some of them look cracking and if it wasn't for the fact I'm an introverted old codger I'd love one.

Just the same as bike you'll get good users and bad users. I got overtaken by one on the cycle path recently that had clearly been deregulated and was being ridden very badly weaving through pedestrians and no bell or anything. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Haha if I move house I'd really like one as I'll end up a good bit further away from the train station. Sadly they're treated as motor vehicles but I don't think you can register them and they're apparently very hard to insure from what I hear. I was reading recently some bloke got done and given a £900 or so fine and 6 points on his driving license for using one so it's no worth the hassle.

It's quite ridiculous in this day and age considering my only other viable option would be to get a 2nd car if I move. I'm not a climate change warrior but I'd rather be choosing the more environmentally friendly option. 

Mainstream them and make it so you can register and insure them. Get kids off them and get them off the pavements. 

44 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Ridiculous things, just get an ebike. 

A reasonable alternative but I've already got a bike (not an electric one). A bike, folding or other won't fit in my locker at work. Will also just get nicked when left somewhere. I'm all for am electric scooter.

Get roads safe enough for them (proper bike and scooter lanes) then legalise them on the road.

Shouldn't be on pavements. We need to encourage cycling, e bikes and scooters though as more forward thinking ways of getting around cities. 

I think they should be banned from main roads where the speed limit is 30 or over. Just have the feeling they are too prone to lethal impact by cars/trucks etc. 

If there's a reasonable cycle lane - possibility to use there. 

Pavement use - only where there is not a lot pedestrians and speed should be limited.

General - users must have insurance for themselves and any accidental damage they do.

The main difference between an eScooter and a bike is on the bike when on a pavement the user's body is controlling the speed and it will generally be slower. An eScooter speed needs to be throttled down. 

They have these things for hire all over the place here in Newcastle.

https://www.rideneuron.com/n3-e-scooter/

No one wears the helmet and it's pretty much drunks and students cutting about on them, brilliant watching the morons fall off or run into cars and shit. 

highlandjambo3

I bought an electric bike last year and, I’m never off it.

These scooters are not going to go away but, they should be treated like a bike and be on the road or cycle path.  If I were stuck in traffic everyday trying to get 3 miles to work and these were flying past me I’d be all over it.  Less cars on the road, less pollution, less government expense for road and traffic upgrades, less asmatic attacks, cleaner air etc….a lot of positives but, the regulations and infrastructure would need a good shake up not a tickle (which is likely to happen).

A full days training like CBT for motorbikes, hard hat, hi vis, elbow/knee/glove protection etc….

Stuart Lyon

Malaga has many of these and its OK if they are coming towards you but when they whiz by silently from behind you it is quite alarming!

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My uncle recently got a deregulated motor thing fitted to his regular bike. Had a wee shot on Sunday - wow. Better acceleration than my first car and probably higher top speed than my wee Alto automatic. Lethal in the wrong hands, mind you.

There is a guy up here with a bike which defiantly is not bought from a shop…..it’s rough looking like something out of mad max, very thick tyres …….he goes hurtling about at the same speed as the cars…….electric bikes are regulated to “stop” assisting you at 15.5 mph….. He’s defiantly rigged it up some how.

Hugh Phamism

Had a shottie on one in Scottsdale in Arizona a couple of years back. I needed to get from my hotel to another hotel about a mile away to pick up a rental car.

Too short a distance to get a taxi, and too far to walk in 100 degree heat, so I signed up to the Uber app, and jumped on an eScooter parked outside. Whizzed up the wide road in the sunshine and was at my destination in minutes and all for a couple of dollars. Great fun as well.

I think that these eScooters do have a place in a city as long as the roads, cycle paths (and the climate) can accommodate them. Oh, and then there is the usual nae-ned mentality that stops them from being trashed, nicked or thrown in a canal. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sounds like fun. If you can catch him, ask him where he got it done.

There're videos on YouTube showing it. ;) 

AlimOzturk

Think they are a tremendous bit of kit snd

if they were legal would be all over them. If you have a driving licence or pass some sort of test/course and some regulations for them then I can’t see why they can’t be used sensibly. They should be treated like any other vehicle. Think they shouldnt be allowed to go over 20MPH though. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Our City has a company that has scooters all over, you just insert your credit card and you are off. In some cases that off is literal, emergency room cases up quite dramatically. No regs have been created for their use, and now some already want them banned. 

E bikes,  I live in an adult oriented community, which  translates to old farts. There is a speed limit of maximum 20km. A lot of the senior over the last few years have got into bicycles, even those are guilty of riding in excess of the speed limit, and fail to wear helmets which is compulsory on roads in B.C. We are in a gated community so the Provincial Traffic Act does not comply nor I suppose does the helmet law. The agitating thing becoming more prevalent is the increase in E bikes. These are driven at ridiculous speeds for a  controlled speed area, and the impending result a serious accident with severe head injuries is going to happen. Like myself many still walk for exercise, it is a bit unsettling to be passed almost shoulder to shoulder by a speeding bicycle controlled by a slightly feeble seventy year old who can hardly see let alone react if the followed pedestrian makes a surprise move. They some years ago banned skateboards because an irate neighbour complained about a teenager on one, yet no one so far has expressed any concern about old farts doing their Tour De France impersonation. One person when asked stated it was how he now gets his exercise, nae fool like an auld fool, as I have proved on many occasions.

Jamstomorrow
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Did well to avoid using the term ‘woke’ there for a full house. 😎

I thought he did well to NOT bring 'Queen Ann' into it!

stevie1874
8 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Should be treated the same as bikes or e bikes, Council spending a fortune in Edinburgh for cycle lanes as well. 

A Boy Named Crow
12 hours ago, King prawn said:

They’re very popular here. Can travel up to 25 km/h and I haven’t used one since I was going home one night, hit a curb head on in the dark and flew over the handlebars :facepalm:  Yes, I’m an idiot. 

Massively popular in Sydney. I don't mind people using them, it seems an efficient way to get around. I DO mind people using them on the pavement though.  I make it my business to get in their way...

I would encourage these sort of things more. No helmets as well. We need a silent policy of thinning the flock. 

Governor Tarkin
20 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I popped into the Electric bike and scooter shop opposite the EICC when I went up for my covid jag just for a nosey.

Some of them look cracking and if it wasn't for the fact I'm an introverted old codger I'd love one.

Do it, Ron.

chuck berrys hairline

I got one for my 9 year old son it was a mid range zinc. Top speed limited to 25kmh fine for a quick joyride if anything. I told him to slow down for people and stop for dogs which he seems to adhere too. Handy for nipping to the shops at 6am when whole place is quiet. Our paths in Livi naturally slow you down anyway either a hill or a hole you're driving over. They should be encouraged imo out in the countryside even build tracks/circuits to keep the kids amused, bring your own or rental.

Ron Burgundy
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Do it, Ron.

Everyone would be staring at me. I don't like attention. 

I'd only do it pissed which may not be the right thing to do.

Les Izemore
On 08/06/2021 at 23:36, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We had the answer in the early 80s, the Sinclair C5. Don't know why it bombed.

:whistling:

There’s a guy still going about on one of them on the cycle path round my way. Quite amusing seeing him have to pedal after his battery is spent. 

The Mighty Thor
On 09/06/2021 at 07:31, Des Lynam said:

I would encourage these sort of things more. No helmets as well. We need a silent policy of thinning the flock. 

this guy gets it. 

Салатные палочки
On 13/06/2021 at 22:28, crunchy frog said:

wp-1453144538936.jpeg.jpg

da-rise-of-the-idiots-v3.jpg

Preacher Man