Stendel - Would you take him back?

Hearts1975

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

I'm not saying he did. I was talking about what he said in his interview after he joined Gillingham first time around.

That said though (as you brought it up), i suppose there's been loads of players over the years that haven't held down a place in a team through different managerial changes, probably even more than two different managers. It's the way it goes sometimes. Not disagreeing with you on Lee though.

Lee didn't excel but we were definitely notably less creative when he left.  Not saying he was the answer, just that he was one of the few players who played positively.  Games def passed him by when he was CM and he was too slow to play wide or further forward, so lots of reasons he wasn't great, but he did at least always look to make things happen, somehting you couldn't say about many of our players last season.  Perhaps other than walker and he couldn't get a game either!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Last Laff

• sadj

• Beni

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
20 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Levein confirming anything! 

The guy that said Lee was home sick and told him to go and find another club yet Lee said in interview a few weeks after going to Gillingham that that wasn't the case. He was told to find a new club because he questioned Levein's tactics and from then on, he wasn't going to get to play. I really wouldn't trust what Levein said about Perreira. Levein didn't seem to like Stendel even though he was sacked but still hovering around in the background. Still think there was a lot of backstabbing going on. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Levein said that just to make Stendel look worse in the eyes of the fans. From what i remember at the time Man Utd were going to continue paying Perreira's wage as long as he was given games. I'm not even sure Stendel liked Perreira that much which is why he dropped him and brought Zlamal in. Perreira was then brought back in almost straight away and Stendel said he was the better of the keepers. Didn't sound convincing and hardly a high endorsement, just "better". He did try to get Gordon in but Celtic said no. Had Gordon come in then maybe Perreira's loan would've been cancelled, who knows. 

All smacks of another story from a couple of seasons earlier when Demi Mitchell returned and was "encouraged" shall we say, to play as a wing-back rather than the winger he was the first time round. Who decided this was to happen? Levein? Man Utd? (the Perreira situation)

It's all in the past now but had lots of suspicions over the last few years. Let's see what unfolds this season.

Well I believe the guy who signed him over what you remember of rumours that were flying about.

I mean, doesn't the fact that Stendel did actually drop Pereira tend to back up that there wasn't a clause saying he had to play?

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well I believe the guy who signed him over what you remember of rumours that were flying about.

I mean, doesn't the fact that Stendel did actually drop Pereira tend to back up that there wasn't a clause saying he had to play?

I've never thought there was any truth in that at all to be honest.

People grasping for reasons why this guy could possibly be playing is all.

3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Yet we missed a glorious chance to win 3-2. It was exciting, no one can deny that.

Some might call it exciting. I’d call it horrifying that we scraped a draw against 10 man Hamilton at home. Whilst in a relegation scrap. But that’s just me. 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Some might call it exciting. I’d call it horrifying that we scraped a draw against 10 man Hamilton at home. Whilst in a relegation scrap. But that’s just me. 

We drew with Morton and Queen of the South and lost to Raith at home in the season just finished. All whilst playing dull, pragmatic football.

I would definitely roll the dice with Stendel again to see if he get his style going in a winning team. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

We drew with Morton and Queen of the South and lost to Raith at home in the season just finished. All whilst playing dull, pragmatic football.

Going by his appointment on 7th Dec his results were:

Motherwell (A) 1-0 defeat 

St Johnstone (H) 0-1 defeat 

Celtic (H) 0-2 defeat 

Hamilton (A) 2-1 defeat 

Hibs (H) 0-2 defeat 🤬

Aberdeen (H) 1-1

Ross County (A) 0-0

Sevco (H) 2-1 win 🥳

St Johnstone (A) 3-3

Killie (H) 2-3 defeat

Celtic (A) 5-0 defeat 

Hamilton (H) 2-2

Hibs (A) 1-3 win 🥳

Motherwell (H) 1-1

St Mirren (A) 1-0 defeat 🤬

Taking all things into consideration, we were abysmal.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I would definitely roll the dice with Stendel again to see if he get his style going in a winning team. But that's just me.

Style? High press with slow defence.  Keeper who couldn't catch a cold?

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

Going by his appointment on 7th Dec his results were:

Motherwell (A) 1-0 defeat 

St Johnstone (H) 0-1 defeat 

Celtic (H) 0-2 defeat 

Hamilton (A) 2-1 defeat 

Hibs (H) 0-2 defeat 🤬

Aberdeen (H) 1-1

Ross County (A) 0-0

Sevco (H) 2-1 win 🥳

St Johnstone (A) 3-3

Killie (H) 2-3 defeat

Celtic (A) 5-0 defeat 

Hamilton (H) 2-2

Hibs (A) 1-3 win 🥳

Motherwell (H) 1-1

St Mirren (A) 1-0 defeat 🤬

Taking all things into consideration, we were abysmal.

Style? High press with slow defence.  Keeper who couldn't catch a cold?

He wasn't in charge for the Motherwell game, his first game was St Johnstone at home, where our only fit strikers were Aidan Keena and Steven McLean. The St Johnstone (14/12/2019) game was the 1st of 5 in 15 days, in the middle of an injury crisis, Souttar, Naismith, Washington to name but a few were all out long term injured. There would be hardly any time to either assess the players, or do any coaching with that schedule, it would be game day then rest with maybe one training session in between each. In the last of these games Aberdeen (29/12/2019) the team put in a great performance and were very unlucky to draw after going a goal up before Sean Clare was sent off for a professional foul.

His record after the winter break (including the cup games which you omit), when we finally got time to do some coaching with the players and bring in a few signings, was respectable, P12 W5, L3, D4.

His preferred assistant Jorg Sievers, wasn't recruited until January 9th, almost a month after he was appointed and Dale Tonge didn't join until January 27th, no surprise then that there was an upswing in results when he had time to assess and train the squad and bring in his coaching staff.

The team was plagued with calamitous individual errors throughout the season, no more so than Joel Pereira and it is largely the blind spot that Stendel had for Pereira, that cost him his job. 

17 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I've never thought there was any truth in that at all to be honest.

People grasping for reasons why this guy could possibly be playing is all.

This

30 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

He wasn't in charge for the Motherwell game, his first game was St Johnstone at home, where our only fit strikers were Aidan Keena and Steven McLean. The St Johnstone (14/12/2019) game was the 1st of 5 in 15 days, in the middle of an injury crisis, Souttar, Naismith, Washington to name but a few were all out long term injured. There would be hardly any time to either assess the players, or do any coaching with that schedule, it would be game day then rest with maybe one training session in between each. In the last of these games Aberdeen (29/12/2019) the team put in a great performance and were very unlucky to draw after going a goal up before Sean Clare was sent off for a professional foul.

His record after the winter break (including the cup games which you omit), when we finally got time to do some coaching with the players and bring in a few signings, was respectable, P12 W5, L3, D4.

His preferred assistant Jorg Sievers, wasn't recruited until January 9th, almost a month after he was appointed and Dale Tonge didn't join until January 27th, no surprise then that there was an upswing in results when he had time to assess and train the squad and bring in his coaching staff.

The team was plagued with calamitous individual errors throughout the season, no more so than Joel Pereira and it is largely the blind spot that Stendel had for Pereira, that cost him his job. 

I didn't include the cup results because they were not the priority, and when you take the league results they really aren't acceptable, with Hibs away being a blip.

Whilst I don’t expect to entertained every week - I would like to say sometimes yeah I enjoyed that regardless of the result etc. 

Putting another spin on it I have 2 boys who are not fussed about watching Hearts anymore citing that it’s boring and crap. Their words not mine. 

Due to factors like the pandemic and ultimately the football on offer we are losing some fans no doubt. As I said previously I used to have 5 STs. Now looking at 1.