Stendel - Would you take him back?

Hearts1975

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

I don’t think he should have picked Pereira. It was obvious he was costing us a lot of points.

There were also rumours that there may have been an agreement with Man Utd to give Pereira playing time. Not saying any of these things are true but these rumours were circulating at the time 

Everyone seems to forget the reasons as to why we had Doyle, Zlamal and Pereira signed and playing for us in the first place. That’s a bigger failure for me the fact that these were the guys that he had to pick from 

It was confirmed there was no clause, and as we're talking about Stendel, he really has to carry the can for picking him because he wanted a footballing keeper.

Bobby could be a nightmare but he also made some cracking saves for us, he's a much better keeper than will o' the wisp

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Last Laff

• sadj

• Martin_T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, frankblack said:

You are overlooking how poor we were when we got demoted.  We were in freefall,  thanks to Dan. 

Dundee United were a couple of years down, Hibs three.

I don't see how anyone could be sure Stendel would get us promoted given he put us down there and couldn't hack it against the premiership bottom six.

Neither could Levein or MacPhee in the end.
DS was left an uphill task at the worst possible time with two goalkeepers that were struggling to do the basics.

He got dealt a shit hand and tried his best to motivate a team lacking confidence, some bought into his methods others wouldn’t, or just couldn’t adapt quick enough. But it’s all academic now anyway.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You look at the full picture of a short spell like that, he was brought in to give us a lift, and try to turn things round and get us away from the bottom of the table. 3 wins from 14 (?) is not turning things round

I don't really disagree with a lot of what you said.

Stendel should have been more pragmatic, he squandered the possibility of a new manager bounce by criticising the senior players, indicating he wanted to ship some players out at the first possibility, and persisting with Pereira.

I quoted this part of your post just to point out that at the end of the previous season Levein managed 2 wins in the last 14 league games, but kept his job, whereas it was a sackable offence for Stendel. 🤔

Absolutely 

We scored and lost goals…. But it was never dull. Regardless of the result I actually enjoyed attending the games 

I would renew tomorrow if he did tbh 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I don't really disagree with a lot of what you said.

Stendel should have been more pragmatic, he squandered the possibility of a new manager bounce by criticising the senior players, indicating he wanted to ship some players out at the first possibility, and persisting with Pereira.

I quoted this part of your post just to point out that at the end of the previous season Levein managed 2 wins in the last 14 league games, but kept his job, whereas it was a sackable offence for Stendel. 🤔

Not a sackable offence, his contract ended the second we were expelled from the league. My money is that he was too expensive to gamble on with what was happening, covid and Championship, so we went with a cheaper option.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Didn't help that it took about 2 months to get his assistant in who was a GK as a player...TBF that one note covers more than half your points... Actually, it covers them all.

One of his closest allies in football being a GK and them - you'd assume - being in constant contact about the Hearts job, makes it even worse.

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Absolutely 

We scored and lost goals…. But it was never dull. Regardless of the result I actually enjoyed attending the games 

Ok so regardless of the result you enjoyed attending… So get relegated but score loads and concede loads and you are happy 🤔🙈 

Edit: Used to enjoy your posts and thoughts , they have become really difficult to appreciate though 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by sadj

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Not a sackable offence, his contract ended the second we were expelled from the league. My money is that he was too expensive to gamble on with what was happening, covid and Championship, so we went with a cheaper option.

That would be sensible eh 😝

For what its worth to start with I supported keeping Perreria in goal as I understood why but as it became obvious it was costing us valuable points it became clear he needed to change keepers before he did.

47 minutes ago, sadj said:

Ok so regardless of the result you enjoyed attending… So get relegated but score loads and concede loads and you are happy 🤔🙈 

Edit: Used to enjoy your posts and thoughts , they have become really difficult to appreciate though 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Simple enough. 

We played with a tempo and on the front foot.

Under Levein and Neilson it was the opposite. 

So I enjoyed the games.

38 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Simple enough. 

We played with a tempo and on the front foot.

Under Levein and Neilson it was the opposite. 

So I enjoyed the games.

Nothing like what you said previously

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Only Ann Budge can confirm the relative costs, but with compensation to Dundee United and Neilson's team given 3 year deals I'm not convinced that it'd be that much cheaper.

The club was within its rights to cut ties with Stendel, and given the league position he could have no complaints (although for him to find out via the press was very poor form).

I just like the irony that results during Stendel's tenure were similar to Levein's at the end of the previous season, yet a lot of those who defended Levein to the hilt wanted Stendel replaced.

Just now, fancy a brew said:

Only Ann Budge can confirm the relative costs, but with compensation to Dundee United and Neilson's team given 3 year deals I'm not convinced that it'd be that much cheaper.

The club was within its rights to cut ties with Stendel, and given the league position he could have no complaints (although for him to find out via the press was very poor form).

I just like the irony that results during Stendel's tenure were similar to Levein's at the end of the previous season, yet a lot of those who defended Levein to the hilt wanted Stendel replaced.

Who wanted Stendel replaced?

14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Who wanted Stendel replaced?

Ann Budge :whistling:

Ok, maybe 'defend his replacement' would be a better choice of words, and I count myself among their number.

But if you defend Stendel leaving it's difficult to justify Levein staying given their similar records.

16 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Ann Budge :whistling:

Ok, maybe 'defend his replacement' would be a better choice of words, and I count myself among their number.

But if you defend Stendel leaving it's difficult to justify Levein staying given their similar records.

I don’t think the circumstances are similar , most of us felt at worst Levein should have left after the cup final. It was what was in the works and it never happened. Dragged on far too long after that but after the cup final performance you can understand the thought process of maybe this will work.

Stendel came in and we wanted it to work (id say 99% of the fan base anyway) it didn’t we had a few highs (Hibs and Rangers) and some pitiful lows. (Hibs and St Mirren) We got demoted he went. Prob none of us would have much problem if he’d remained but he didn’t , its all hearsay of was it a gamble or not if we kept him. The ineptitude against St Mirren and the weekend previous (Motherwell maybe??) was disgusting after Rangers and Hibs but also endemic of the club under Levein , Stendel and  Cathro too.

Defending his replacement is fair enough. Considering all the factors at play we did ok and came back up. We should have most definitely done better but its now past. Summer gives us a chance to move forward from a good starting spot and be positive. From there Neilson is in charge and deserves the chance to show what we can achieve. If it goes wrong hindsight will say it was a bad idea , if it goes well the usual suspects will moan and the rest of us will enjoy a successful Hearts team. 

Personally i think we would prob have passed County but Stendel also refused to compromise his style for results and that cost us I only see us being successful if we focus on playing as we did in the last few games. If we don’t it won’t , we have a good core but we need a few additions to supplement that core. Hibs , Aberdeen , St Johnstone were all mediocre last year in the league. Hibs incredibly lucky too. 

Edited by sadj

9 hours ago, sadj said:

Nothing like what you said previously

I said I enjoyed attending the games and I did. Regardless of the result.

I hadn’t enjoyed it for a number of years due to cost, time and ultimately it was awful to watch.

Hence I’m not going back. I can’t see it changing enough to make me want to go. 

2 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I hadn’t enjoyed it for a number of years due to cost, time and ultimately it was awful to watch.

Personally speaking I didn't find struggling at the bottom of the league and losing to the teams around us to be much fun at all.

Each to their own, I suppose.

16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

One of his closest allies in football being a GK and them - you'd assume - being in constant contact about the Hearts job, makes it even worse.

Was his assistant not employed in Germany at the time? Would you provide advice unseen and unpaid on such an important issue from afar? Was a sweeper-keeper not the ideal type of GK for playing a German high-press system? Perreira's pedigree was that he was a Mourinho Manu signing - that certainly fooled all of us for a while at least too!

Would have been happy to have seen him stay in the championship but not that fussed about him ever coming back.

22 hours ago, Smithee said:

It was confirmed there was no clause, and as we're talking about Stendel, he really has to carry the can for picking him because he wanted a footballing keeper.

Bobby could be a nightmare but he also made some cracking saves for us, he's a much better keeper than will o' the wisp

Was it confirmed? I've been curious about this, so it would be good to see evidence.

It was the selection of Pereira that was the primary reason for our relegation, we created loads of chances in just about every game under DS, but when every other shot on target against us resulted in a goal, what chance did we have?

Unknown user
Just now, Martin_T said:

Was it confirmed? I've been curious about this, so it would be good to see evidence.

It was the selection of Pereira that was the primary reason for our relegation, we created loads of chances in just about every game under DS, but when every other shot on target against us resulted in a goal, what chance did we have?

Yep, Levein confirmed it in interview

6 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Regardless of result? What happened to you PTB 🙃

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

Personally speaking I didn't find struggling at the bottom of the league and losing to the teams around us to be much fun at all.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Agreed

19 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Absolutely 

My feeling well summed up.

I think some of the poor results, needs to be remembered in the majority of those games, we started so well, we were making chances. They were the first games in what felt like years we were actually missing chances!!!  Opposition goalies couldn't read the paper all game!

What kept happening was we'd be on top, lose a daft goal to an individual error and then heads would go down.  But also in some games, St J and Hamilton spring to mind, we worked our tits off and showed spirit to fight our way back to a draw or whatever.  That St Mirren game was such a shame, but for me was an anomaly more than the norm under Dan.

Yes, I know the easy counter here is that those individual errors were 99% Joel the hologram goalie's and Daniel kept picking him and frankly I've no defence of that.

We didn't half get some tosh decisions against us as well in that time.

Easy to look at the Hibs and Rangers results in isolation, but fact is our overall performances were vastly improved, especially after that first few games he had where he was weeding out the badness and working with none of his own coaching staff.  We played very well against Celtic at home while they were truly flying and were unlucky to lose.  We battered Aberdeen and they were very lucky to get a draw from a disgraceful piece of refereeing which led to Clare being sent off.

That Aberdeen game was a bit of a turning point for us, in truth.  Had we got the three points we really deserved, it could have provided an even greater catalyst but even then from then on if I remember rightly, we only lost* something like twice in 12/13 before that horrible St Mirren game, and as above, many of those games, the team needed to show huge spirit in the face of setbacks, something which had been missing for years and I'd say still is really.

Aunty, baws, Uncle.  But it's a big what if for me.  Felt like we were on to something.  That ****ing St Mirren game, man!!!  Hamilton beating Rangers!!!  All these things.  Daniel was unlucky in my opinion.  He did a good job in the face of a shitshow.

Would I take Daniel back?  I'd drive him here myself!!!

*Battered by Celtic and then Kilmarnock who scored 3 early goals due to Mr Origamihands and then still we nearly pegged them back.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

My feeling well summed up.

I think some of the poor results, needs to be remembered in the majority of those games, we started so well, we were making chances. They were the first games in what felt like years we were actually missing chances!!!  Opposition goalies couldn't read the paper all game!

What kept happening was we'd be on top, lose a daft goal to an individual error and then heads would go down.  But also in some games, St J and Hamilton spring to mind, we worked our tits off and showed spirit to fight our way back to a draw or whatever.  That St Mirren game was such a shame, but for me was an anomaly more than the norm under Dan.

Yes, I know the easy counter here is that those individual errors were 99% Joel the hologram goalie's and Daniel kept picking him and frankly I've no defence of that.

We didn't half get some tosh decisions against us as well in that time.

Easy to look at the Hibs and Rangers results in isolation, but fact is our overall performances were vastly improved, especially after that first few games he had where he was weeding out the badness and working with none of his own coaching staff.  We played very well against Celtic at home while they were truly flying and were unlucky to lose.  We battered Aberdeen and they were very lucky to get a draw from a disgraceful piece of refereeing which led to Clare being sent off.

That Aberdeen game was a bit of a turning point for us, in truth.  Had we got the three points we really deserved, it could have provided an even greater catalyst but even then from then on if I remember rightly, we only lost* something like twice in 12/13 before that horrible St Mirren game, and as above, many of those games, the team needed to show huge spirit in the face of setbacks, something which had been missing for years and I'd say still is really.

Aunty, baws, Uncle.  But it's a big what if for me.  Felt like we were on to something.  That ****ing St Mirren game, man!!!  Hamilton beating Rangers!!!  All these things.  Daniel was unlucky in my opinion.  He did a good job in the face of a shitshow.

Would I take Daniel back?  I'd drive him here myself!!!

*Battered by Celtic and then Kilmarnock who scored 3 early goals due to Mr Origamihands and then still we nearly pegged them back.

A good summary and is consistent with my thoughts.

As I said previously, when your goalkeeper is conceding every other shot on target, what chance do you have?

1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

As I said previously, when your goalkeeper is conceding every other shot on target, what chance do you have?

Drop him, instant improvement on your chances. 

The bending over backwards to defend a manager who in the middle of a relegation battle chose to play a goalkeeper because of a system rather than one who would have potentially got us the points to keep us up is staggering     Ffs we have people claiming they enjoyed the sexy football has we dropped to then cut adrift the bottom of the table. 

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Tbf, you play your other goalie!  We were just about getting away with Joel in goals up until the Celtic game, but a blind man could see we'd have more points with any other goalie in the world.  It wasn't even the shots he let by him, it was how little confidence and therefore nerves there was in the defence in front of him.

As I say, ifs and buts.  BUT it's a shame.  All I want from Hearts is hope.  If you aren't an OF fan in Scotland, all you can have is hope.  I felt Daniel Stendel gave us that feeling back.

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Drop him, instant improvement on your chances. 

The bending over backwards to defend a manager who in the middle of a relegation battle chose to play a goalkeeper because of a system rather than one who would have potentially got us the points to keep us up is staggering     Ffs we have people claiming they enjoyed the sexy football has we dropped to then cut adrift the bottom of the table. 

Perhaps, but Pereira was a goalkeeper contracted to Manchester United, who had played first team games for them and should have been a lot better. Zlamal was certainly a better keeper though and I reckon we would have stayed up if he had been first choice from when Stendel was appointed.

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Perhaps, but Pereira was a goalkeeper contracted to Manchester United, who had played first team games for them and should have been a lot better. Zlamal was certainly a better keeper though and I reckon we would have stayed up if he had been first choice from when Stendel was appointed.

That is irrelevant.

If a player is not performing they should not remain in the team, especially when you are fighting relegation!

7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Tbf, you play your other goalie!  We were just about getting away with Joel in goals up until the Celtic game, but a blind man could see we'd have more points with any other goalie in the world.  It wasn't even the shots he let by him, it was how little confidence and therefore nerves there was in the defence in front of him.

As I say, ifs and buts.  BUT it's a shame.  All I want from Hearts is hope.  If you aren't an OF fan in Scotland, all you can have is hope.  I felt Daniel Stendel gave us that feeling back.

The home draw vs Aberdeen and the wins over Rangers and Hibs perhaps gave a glimpse of what could be. But equally the latter wins were probably the last games most folk saw live prior to the season being called. Perhaps they give a skewed perspective and the Hamilton draw and loss to St Mirren are more reflective of the overall picture?

Either way it's in the past now and we'll never know.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That is irrelevant.

If a player is not performing they should not remain in the team, especially when you are fighting relegation!

I agree that not dropping Joel was a fundamental error and probably the error that cost him his job.

If we had a competent goalkeeper under Stendel, I reckon we might have sneaked into the top 6, such was the number of chances we created. Individual errors plagued us throughout season 2019/20.

Just now, Martin_T said:

The home draw vs Aberdeen and the wins over Rangers and Hibs perhaps gave a glimpse of what could be. But equally the latter wins were probably the last games most folk saw live prior to the season being called. Perhaps they give a skewed perspective and the Hamilton draw and loss to St Mirren are more reflective of the overall picture?

Maybe maybe.  But then the Hamilton draw, we were the better team, they got 2 offside goals, one of them from a deflected throughball which was then squared to a guy - offside - who was only there cos he stopped to tie his lace!!!  How the hell do you mitigate against that!!??

I honestly just felt Daniel was terribly unlucky a lot of the time, whereas before that the team under Levein were doing absolutely nothing to deserve luck good, bad or otherwise.  We got some passion back.

As you say, done now.  We have Robbie and Lee McCulloch

5 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Who he was contracted shouldn’t have mattered once his performances was glaringly costing us points. It was a shocking decision that can’t be overlooked by the odd very good performance under Stendel imo. 

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Maybe maybe.  But then the Hamilton draw, we were the better team, they got 2 offside goals, one of them from a deflected throughball which was then squared to a guy - offside - who was only there cos he stopped to tie his lace!!!  How the hell do you mitigate against that!!??

I honestly just felt Daniel was terribly unlucky a lot of the time, whereas before that the team under Levein were doing absolutely nothing to deserve luck good, bad or otherwise.  We got some passion back.

As you say, done now.  We have Robbie and Lee McCulloch

If we'd won the St Johnstone and Kilmarnock games after we beat Rangers first time around, both of which were games lost/drawn due to horrendous goalkeeping, I'm pretty sure we'd have made the top 6. Small margins.

6 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I think often overlooked is that Bobby needed taken out when he did as his own confidence was totally shot and he looked a shadow of the keeper he had been previously (and even then he was an erratic bugger!).  So we brought in a guy from Man U!  Amazing, well done Austin.  Ah, wait....

So the only other option at that point was Doyle, who was quite possibly the worst of the three!!!! Deary me!!

Also a great believer in "we don't see training".  For all we know, Joel's let a couple in, Daniel decides, "right he's drapped," then he's great all week and the other two can't catch covid.  We just don't know.

What we do know is regardless of all the above, Joel should have been dropped 3/4 games before he was.   The other thing we know is that Daniel was left with that goalkeeping mess by his predecessors who are the ones who truly failed our club.

We tried to get Craig back that Jan and Celtic were dicks.  Though tbf, I did hear Daniel didn't want him, which was weird.  We also tried to get a previous goalie of Dan's who we couldn't get tied up I believe.  So there were attempts to fix it.

I say what I have a few times, Daniel was not a transfer market manager - he was a coach.  Give him Joe Savage and give him a chance.

Last thing.  When did his assistant come to us?  Sievers, the ex Bundesliga goalie and Hanover legend?  Mid-Jan maybe? Funny that eh.

Look, Daniel wasn't given a chance - he was a lone figure, painting the Forth Road Bridge by himself, with a toothbrush.

6 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

If we'd won the St Johnstone and Kilmarnock games after we beat Rangers first time around, both of which were games lost/drawn due to horrendous goalkeeping, I'm pretty sure we'd have made the top 6. Small margins.

Bang on.  Team played well in both actually (and weirdly).

Speaking of the St J game.  The loss of Sibbick was felt that day and subsequently too.  Another bit of awful luck.

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The Hamilton game at home will live long in my memory. An absolute shambolic display that would’ve been up there with Livingston 5-0 had it not been for a fortunate red card for their defender. 

Stendels blatant disregard for defending was unbelievable. I can remember him screaming at the defenders to press higher up the park. They were already on the halfway line! All Hamilton did was keep two up front, launch the ball over the top and they got in time and time again.  We were lucky to scrape a draw.

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

The Hamilton game at home will live long in my memory. An absolute shambolic display that would’ve been up there with Livingston 5-0 had it not been for a fortunate red card for their defender. 

Stendels blatant disregard for defending was unbelievable. I can remember him screaming at the defenders to press higher up the park. They were already on the halfway line! All Hamilton did was keep two up front, launch the ball over the top and they got in time and time again.  We were lucky to scrape a draw.

Yet we missed a glorious chance to win 3-2. It was exciting, no one can deny that.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Bang on.  Team played well in both actually (and weirdly).

Speaking of the St J game.  The loss of Sibbick was felt that day and subsequently too.  Another bit of awful luck.

Sibbick in the game and a half he played, gave the team ballast and a platform on which to attack. Horrendous luck when he got ill.

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Sibbick in the game and a half he played, gave the team ballast and a platform on which to attack. Horrendous luck when he got ill.

Yup, the players' biggest complaint when Daniel first implemented his style wasn't the high line or upped tempo or even the goalie, it was a lack of protection of the back 4.  Apparently Smith spoke up quite strongly about it and he was correct.  We were weak as piss at CM (again a legacy problem).  Daniel fixed it, we looked better, he got glandular fever.  Go figure!

Wee tactical edit!: it was due to the high fullbacks.  To do so, you need CMs who have tactical awareness, discipline and work ethic to cover that.  We didn't have guys like that but Daniel was trying to get who we had to do it.  If you look at the goals we lost, there's a total misconception it was longballs over a high line.  It wasn't - it was guys being able to get between our defence and midfield or down the sides and in.  We had no legs in midfield.

Edited by TheBigO

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yep, Levein confirmed it in interview

Levein confirming anything! 

The guy that said Lee was home sick and told him to go and find another club yet Lee said in interview a few weeks after going to Gillingham that that wasn't the case. He was told to find a new club because he questioned Levein's tactics and from then on, he wasn't going to get to play. I really wouldn't trust what Levein said about Perreira. Levein didn't seem to like Stendel even though he was sacked but still hovering around in the background. Still think there was a lot of backstabbing going on. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Levein said that just to make Stendel look worse in the eyes of the fans. From what i remember at the time Man Utd were going to continue paying Perreira's wage as long as he was given games. I'm not even sure Stendel liked Perreira that much which is why he dropped him and brought Zlamal in. Perreira was then brought back in almost straight away and Stendel said he was the better of the keepers. Didn't sound convincing and hardly a high endorsement, just "better". He did try to get Gordon in but Celtic said no. Had Gordon come in then maybe Perreira's loan would've been cancelled, who knows. 

All smacks of another story from a couple of seasons earlier when Demi Mitchell returned and was "encouraged" shall we say, to play as a wing-back rather than the winger he was the first time round. Who decided this was to happen? Levein? Man Utd? (the Perreira situation)

It's all in the past now but had lots of suspicions over the last few years. Let's see what unfolds this season.

23 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Didn't they get an offside pen and a goal that was offside?

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

The guy that said Lee was home sick and told him to go and find another club yet Lee said in interview a few weeks after going to Gillingham that that wasn't the case. He was told to find a new club because he questioned Levein's tactics and from then on, he wasn't going to get to play. I really wouldn't trust what Levein said about Perreira. Levein didn't seem to like Stendel even though he was sacked but still hovering around in the background. Still think there was a lot of backstabbing going on. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Levein said that just to make Stendel look worse in the eyes of the fans. From what i remember at the time Man Utd were going to continue paying Perreira's wage as long as he was given games. I'm not even sure Stendel liked Perreira that much which is why he dropped him and brought Zlamal in. Perreira was then brought back in almost straight away and Stendel said he was the better of the keepers. Didn't sound convincing and hardly a high endorsement, just "better". He did try to get Gordon in but Celtic said no. Had Gordon come in then maybe Perreira's loan would've been cancelled, who knows. 

All smacks of another story from a couple of seasons earlier when Demi Mitchell returned and was "encouraged" shall we say, to play as a wing-back rather than the winger he was the first time round. Who decided this was to happen? Levein? Man Utd? (the Perreira situation)

It's all in the past now but had lots of suspicions over the last few years. Let's see what unfolds this season.

Lee didn't exactly excel in the Championship before we sent him back on loan.  Not being able to hold down a spot under two different managers starts to tell a story.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Parerria and Mitchel was both brought in due to the friendship and Ricky Spregia, another failed manager.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Lee didn't exactly excel in the Championship before we sent him back on loan.  Not being able to hold down a spot under two different managers starts to tell a story.

Lee was better than replaced him as was Edwards.  Both completely bombed. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Lee was better than replaced him as was Edwards.  Both completely bombed. 

He was not good enough.  Too slow, and defensively poor - see the Dunfermline away game disaster.

5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Didn't they get an offside pen and a goal that was offside?

Yes.  Yes they did.  And the offside goal was, as I said above, a lucky deflection through our defence, who pressed the ball quite well, which went to a winger, who then squared for their offside CF, who was only still on the 18 yard box as he was tying his lace.  Our defence were correct to leave him in there.  Lucky break happens 5 seconds later or earlier, goal doesn't happen.  Linesman does his job, goal doesn't happen.  Fine lines, man.

Just now, frankblack said:

I'm not saying he did. I was talking about what he said in his interview after he joined Gillingham first time around.

That said though (as you brought it up), i suppose there's been loads of players over the years that haven't held down a place in a team through different managerial changes, probably even more than two different managers. It's the way it goes sometimes. Not disagreeing with you on Lee though.

5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Parerria and Mitchel was both brought in due to the friendship and Ricky Spregia, another failed manager.

Ah...Ricky Spregia, now there's a name i've not heard in a while!

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

I'm not saying he did. I was talking about what he said in his interview after he joined Gillingham first time around.

That said though (as you brought it up), i suppose there's been loads of players over the years that haven't held down a place in a team through different managerial changes, probably even more than two different managers. It's the way it goes sometimes. Not disagreeing with you on Lee though.

No worries.

Lee was a player I expected much more from but we rarely saw him deliver.