Stendel - Would you take him back?

Hearts1975

professorfate
6 minutes ago, sadj said:

Impossible task? Yet if we played Zlamal wed prob not be bottom 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Poisonous characters? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lot of stuff you are throwing out here please elobarate

I believe there was too many players on big contracts and older players taking their the last wage packet. I have never heard of a sacked manager showing the new manager around the training ground and  I blame levein and budge for the relegation they went from one disaster to another and huge amounts of players being brought in.

Edited by professorfate

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Last Laff

• sadj

• Martin_T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, professorfate said:

I believe there was too many players on big contracts and older players taking their the last wage packet. I have never heard of a sacked manager showing the new manager around the training ground and  I blame levein and budge for the relegation they went from one disaster to another and huge amounts of players being brought in.

I have 👍🏻 

Levein and Budge oooot miin bet you believe Levein is still involved at club too eh! Hes actually wearing a Robbie mask big reveal at the first home game when he takes it off….

None of what you just said is even remotely what you were saying about a toxic culture or poisonous players etc.

What a lad ye are

been here before
21 minutes ago, sadj said:

Must be something in the initials…🤣

Stendel threads are brilliant , wonder when 

Will be past

Soon...

Ali_Bongo.jpg.5645b9ce899a6dcc66c7148e3f2c43bc.jpg

Stendel never stood a chance. 

Imagine turning up for work and being shown around by the bloke/failure your replacing. 

Not only that Levein continued to hang around, clearly still owned Budge's ear and some players, apparently, were still calling him.

I think Stendel would have kept us up. I also think he should have been welcomed back last summer and would have won the Championship.

In addition to implementing properly his pressing style, and with the appropriate signings, I think we probably would have faired better in all three cup's we competed for, too.

Sadly, however, the opportunity was not taken and has gone forever.

Neilsonball it is.

Oh good.

Donald Ford

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

When Ann Budge finally retires and looks back on her time here she will realise that she made 2 massive errors. Keeping faith with Levein and not keeping faith with Stendel.

Guest ToqueJambo

If he proves himself as a manager with a club near our size and he's the best candidate, definitely. Of course then we probably couldn't afford him. I'd take Cathro back if he proved himself as well. Until then, both of them are managers capable of excellent one off results and performances now and then but terrible at actually winning points consistently - going by what we actually saw of them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Hans von Luck

No thanks, crowd pleaser with little to offer imo.

Should concentrate on his Nancy team now, that ship has sailed.

stevie1874
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

100% yes from me if it's a toss up between what we have or Daniel and his team.

I'm behind Robbie because I don't have a choice and just hope he can be less pragmatic and let the players have some freedom.

In Daniel, we finally had a coach who showed us some passion and demanded the same of his players.

For all those saying he was shite, don't for a second underestimate the mess he came in to and then didn't even have coaching staff to help him.  It was a complete shitshow of a squad and coaching setup and he got plumped in to the middle of it and had to weed it out in no uncertain terms.

Get him in, with Joe Savage, and we'd be golden imo.

Daniel himself said he isn't a transfer market guy, he's a coach.  So he also didn't have someone like Joe to help him then, remember.

Absolutely spot on. 👍 not given a proper chance and we’ve reverted to the tried and tested boring option. 

Absolutely. I was really taken with his way of playing. I think Scottish managers lack any sort of philosophy, whether its Levein, Neilson, McInnes or Ross, the football is virtually identical. Stendel had specific ideas and its a damn shame he came in when he did because its a classic case of right guy wrong time. With a bit of time and investment the results would have been interesting to see. 

Post Neilson if we're in a rebuild phase, I'd love to acquire a manager of Stendels ilk to oversee the rebuilding of the football department. 

I doubt we'll see him back though. 

frankblack
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely. I was really taken with his way of playing. I think Scottish managers lack any sort of philosophy, whether its Levein, Neilson, McInnes or Ross, the football is virtually identical. Stendel had specific ideas and its a damn shame he came in when he did because its a classic case of right guy wrong time. With a bit of time and investment the results would have been interesting to see. 

Post Neilson if we're in a rebuild phase, I'd love to acquire a manager of Stendels ilk to oversee the rebuilding of the football department. 

I doubt we'll see him back though. 

Its a results game and he didn't get them.

All this talk of flair reminds me of the pish that the vermin spout.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Its a results game and he didn't get them.

All this talk of flair reminds me of the pish that the vermin spout.

You're right, it is a results game. He should have been a lot more streetwise, but then again, we know Scottish football, we known fine and well 8 clubs in the league have almost no interest in playing football. An outsider won't know that or have a good understanding of how hyper defensive everything is. I think had he cottoned onto that quicker he'd maybe still be in a job with us. Unfortunately, the St Mirren result and Hamiltons freak result at Ibrox seemed to have sealed his fate. 

Personally though, I'd still take him back. I can buy into him. He's an excellent coach, managed some good results when we played teams that came to play football. If he could just get to grips with the negative teams then he would have been a big success here. I like the idea of playing a specific way, it speaks to confidence within yourself. Flip side is Neilson or Levein who seek to nullify the opposition rather than impose their team on the opposition. I much prefer the positivity of what Stendel offered than the apathy that Leveinball offers. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Imagine turning up for work and being shown around by the bloke/failure your replacing. 

Not only that Levein continued to hang around, clearly still owned Budge's ear and some players, apparently, were still calling him.

I think Stendel would have kept us up. I also think he should have been welcomed back last summer and would have won the Championship.

In addition to implementing properly his pressing style, and with the appropriate signings, I think we probably would have faired better in all three cup's we competed for, too.

Neilsonball it is.

Oh good.

Correct.  Well put. 

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

You're right, it is a results game. He should have been a lot more streetwise, but then again, we know Scottish football, we known fine and well 8 clubs in the league have almost no interest in playing football. An outsider won't know that or have a good understanding of how hyper defensive everything is. I think had he cottoned onto that quicker he'd maybe still be in a job with us. Unfortunately, the St Mirren result and Hamiltons freak result at Ibrox seemed to have sealed his fate. 

Personally though, I'd still take him back. I can buy into him. He's an excellent coach, managed some good results when we played teams that came to play football. If he could just get to grips with the negative teams then he would have been a big success here. I like the idea of playing a specific way, it speaks to confidence within yourself. Flip side is Neilson or Levein who seek to nullify the opposition rather than impose their team on the opposition. I much prefer the positivity of what Stendel offered than the apathy that Leveinball offers. 

Also this.

No.

What is it with this complete lack of imagination about appointing coaches in Scottish football?  Ex-players, ex-hacks, former coaches getting a second spin of the wheel.  Let the past be the past and move on.

Just now, Ulysses said:

No.

What is it with this complete lack of imagination about appointing coaches in Scottish football?  Ex-players, ex-hacks, former coaches getting a second spin of the wheel.  Let the past be the past and move on.

I for one read this in a Tom English accent :lol: 

frankblack
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

I wouldn't.

The goalkeeping disaster he allowed to persist and drain points and confidence from the team was inexcusable, and enough has been said about that St Mirren result, which was unforgivable.

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

No.

It would be a good question to ask Ann Budge at the next Q&A. Out of all the managers that Hearts could possibly get she chose the Director of Football for the job. Then when the chips were down she reinstated Robbie Neilson.

frankblack
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It would be a good question to ask Ann Budge at the next Q&A. Out of all the managers that Hearts could possibly get she chose the Director of Football for the job. Then when the chips were down she reinstated Robbie Neilson.

You can understand the RN appointment as we needed someone with a proven record of getting teams out of the Championship.  The Levein one was a bit of an act of desperation, after better options fell through.

Mars plastic
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

No.

You’ve just described that absolute huddy who is the current incumbent to a tea.

Mars plastic
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You can understand the RN appointment as we needed someone with a proven record of getting teams out of the Championship.  The Levein one was a bit of an act of desperation, after better options fell through.

You could have put anyone who had watched a game of Sunday ams at Patties Road in charge of that team and they’d have won that league. Bet they’d have been able to beat Brora and Alloa as well.

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

2 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

You’ve just described that absolute huddy who is the current incumbent to a tea.

This is probably why the question is on my mind.  It's a failing of the current Hearts management, but it feels like the kind of thing that happens elsewhere in the Scottish game as well.  Maybe not.

frankblack
3 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

You could have put anyone who had watched a game of Sunday ams at Patties Road in charge of that team and they’d have won that league. Bet they’d have been able to beat Brora and Alloa as well.

Complete nonsense with the usual regurgitated nauseating drivel about Brora to try and emphasise your point.  The Dundee win over Killie in the playoff completely nullifies your argument.

How exactly did the Brora and Alloa games affect the Championship league title?

Edited by frankblack

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

They’re both understandable appointments but I’d have more patience if we tried to do something different. The same tired, beaten figures dodge about the Scottish game. I think that’s partly why people had more time for Stendel. I can understand Ann making appointments she perceives as risk averse but in a league where the best we’ll do is 3rd and the worst we’ll do (normally) is 6th or 7th, I’d like to see her appoint someone who sees developing youth and playing attacking football as the future of the club. 

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

This is probably why the question is on my mind.  It's a failing of the current Hearts management, but it feels like the kind of thing that happens elsewhere in the Scottish game as well.  Maybe not.

Neilson was as uninspiring an appointment she could have made. A complete reflection of the utter tripe served up last season. 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Mars plastic said:

Neilson was as uninspiring an appointment she could have made. A complete reflection of the utter tripe served up last season. 

More drivel.  How exactly was Levein involved in our results last season?

Auldbenches
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Neilsonball it is.

Oh good.

I can't understand why they got levein to show him around or still be at the club when he started.  Posters on here were saying that if levein was to stay away, we would've had to pay him all his salary.  I don't understand that.  Surely he would've agreed to getting his wages paid up knowing it would've been more beneficial to Stendel and the atmosphere around the club.  Unless he was demanding all his wages, I can't understand why the club didn't just ask him to take gardening leave.  

Sorry for bringing levein into this, but him still being at the club was part if the problem. 

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I can't understand why they got levein to show him around or still be at the club when he started.  Posters on here were saying that if levein was to stay away, we would've had to pay him all his salary.  I don't understand that.  Surely he would've agreed to getting his wages paid up knowing it would've been more beneficial to Stendel and the atmosphere around the club.  Unless he was demanding all his wages, I can't understand why the club didn't just ask him to take gardening leave.  

Sorry for bringing levein into this, but him still being at the club was part if the problem. 

Budge thought it was a good idea.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, blairdin said:

Yes. 

I still can't believe the people who hold that single result against At Midden as a reason for saying no. Hearts being shite away to fodder (except Hibs) has been endemic at the club for years and years. It was no shock to me we didn't win that, irrespective of the magnitude of the game.

Stendel would've kept us up on home results. I'd have loved to see what he'd have achieved after a proper pre season to implement his high press attacking football, and still would. 

Home results under Stendel? 

2-2 Hamilton 

2-3 Killie 

Iirc? 

Cracking.

Both teams got relegated this season, one humped of a team we finished well above this season. 

Auldbenches
Just now, Last Laff said:

Budge thought it was a good idea.

Then she got that well wrong.  Surely the other members of the board were pointing it out that it wasn't a good idea? 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Home results under Stendel? 

2-2 Hamilton 

2-3 Killie 

Iirc? 

Cracking.

Both teams got relegated this season, one humped of a team we finished well above this season. 

Alloa relegated too.  Broara pumped off kelty.

A_A wehatethehibs

I probably would take him back yes, if the timing was right and a more solid foundation was in place. 

As has been said, potentially he was the right manager at the wrong time. That style of play, if we were able to get the players brought in to execute it properly, could be very effective in Scotland. 

It’s good to hear he has no hard feelings towards the club. End of the day a decision was made on the basis that Budge didn’t have full faith he would be the right man to guarantee us promotion in the shortened covid season. What if it had gone tits up like Dundee Uniteds Csaba Laszlo appointment and we ended up staying down? That risk was not taken, and we are back up so that’s been vindicated. You have to feel for Daniel though, shafted by covid. Who knows, in future he may be a contender for the job again.

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Then she got that well wrong.  Surely the other members of the board were pointing it out that it wasn't a good idea? 

Sadly hers and Craigs was all that mattered. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Alloa relegated too.  Broara pumped off kelty.

Did we get relegated? 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Did we get relegated? 

No, you brought relegation into it.  Who emptied us in cups again?  Killie?  Hamilton?

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

No I was responding to a poster who said stendels home form would have kept us up. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but I didn't say anything about form - at the time the league was suspended, results had been poor.

My position is I seen enough in our matches in Dingwall and Easter Road, plus improved performances (granted not yet results) that the manager was starting to get his ideas across, to believe form and results would've improved, particularly at home.

That's just my opinion though. Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one.

1 minute ago, blairdin said:

Edited by blairdin
Double post

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

No I was responding to a poster who said stendels home form would have kept us up. 

It would have, there was an obvious improvement in games.  It's why we took it to court. 

I'll ignore the digs, that you consistently get off from. 

17 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but I didn't say anything about form - at the time the league was suspended, results had been poor.

My position is I seen enough in our matches in Dingwall and Easter Road, plus improved performances (granted not yet results) that the manager was starting to get his ideas across, to believe form and results would've improved, particularly at home.

No point with that one.  

26 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Name calling is always the usual response from someone who has lost an argument.

You were all over the place in your attempts to rant that you decided not to let the facts get in the way.

Correct.  See post above yours.

VagabondJambo
3 hours ago, blairdin said:

Yes. 

I still can't believe the people who hold that single result against At Midden as a reason for saying no. Hearts being shite away to fodder (except Hibs) has been endemic at the club for years and years. It was no shock to me we didn't win that, irrespective of the magnitude of the game.

Stendel would've kept us up on home results. I'd have loved to see what he'd have achieved after a proper pre season to implement his high press attacking football, and still would. 

YES - and totally agree with your post!

A_A wehatethehibs
30 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I wouldn’t rule out bringing him back but I don’t think there’s enough to say that. His last 3 games Hamilton, Motherwell and St Mirren were all absolutely dreadful. Form looked like it was going downhill to me rather than “starting to get ideas across” the win vs Hibs was littered with the usual clown show defending from Hibs. It was no better than Leveins win away there earlier in season. Stendel might have turned it around but there’s nowhere near enough evidence there for you to truthfully say you were feeling optimistic. For me when we showed we couldn’t beat Hamilton at home, that was stendel ****ed basically at that point. I couldn’t see a way back for him and thought it looked extremely bleak.

But the weakness of the squad was just not his fault at all. You are up against it when your only option that can run is Lewis Moore.  That’s why folk say maybe right manager wrong time.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I wouldn’t rule out bringing him back but I don’t think there’s enough to say that. His last 3 games Hamilton, Motherwell and St Mirren were all absolutely dreadful. Form looked like it was going downhill to me rather than “starting to get ideas across” the win vs Hibs was littered with the usual clown show defending from Hibs. It was no better than Leveins win away there earlier in season. Stendel might have turned it around but there’s nowhere near enough evidence there for you to truthfully say you were feeling optimistic. For me when we showed we couldn’t beat Hamilton at home, that was stendel ****ed basically at that point. I couldn’t see a way back for him and thought it looked extremely bleak.

But the weakness of the squad was just not his fault at all. You are up against it when your only option that can run is Lewis Moore.  That’s why folk say maybe right manager wrong time.

Hamilton must’ve been about 4-5th last game. Both their goals were offside. 
We beat Rangers in the cup, then Hibs then drew with Motherwell then got beat off St Mirren in 13 days. My nephew,who unlike the new Celtic manager has a UEFA pro licence, turned to me and said they looked leggy early on against Motherwell. I don’t think their fitness was up to playing his style that much in that space of time. unfortunately. 

Spellczech

Bit worrying that he failed to realise his immediate concern was results...More worrying that after Cathro nobody at Hearts made this clear at the interviews.

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Bit worrying that he failed to realise his immediate concern was results...More worrying that after Cathro nobody at Hearts made this clear at the interviews.

After Cathro? 

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

After Cathro? 

The previous manager to try to change everything immediately on being hired mid-season. It was only a few years ago...

Admittedly Stendel probably had more reason to make significant, immediate changes - but he also had less resources available...

Edited by Spellczech

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The previous manager to try to change everything immediately on being hired mid-season. It was only a few years ago...

Admittedly Stendel probably had more reason to make significant, immediate changes - but he also had less resources available...

Apologies I picked you up wrong. And it might have helped if I had read the article. It does seem as though there wasn’t much of a concern we could get relegated within the club. I’m sure Naismith said the same at the time but don’t quote me on that. 🤣