Stendel - Would you take him back?

Hearts1975

frankblack
7 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I'd take him back today. Let him get his own coaches and players.

He did get a transfer window with some crackers like Arvidaj (sp?) and Langer.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Last Laff

• sadj

• Martin_T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not officially, but anyone with an ounce of foresight could see what was going to happen.

And anyone with an ounce of foresight should have seen that continuing with Pereira was playing with fire.

(and I was a Daniel fan!)

I won't defend him for sticking with Joel Pereira. That was a very bad call. 

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, jambo-rocker said:

With a full preseason and back room staff in place?

I'd consider it.

I’m here

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:
23 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It wasn't a decider. 

Yes it was.  Everyone knew it as the rumoured shutdown was imminent.

Big Brother in that 1984 book would have been embarrassed to rewrite history so brazenly.

Here's the match day thread from the St Mirren game. Please quote some posts which show "everyone knew" a shutdown was imminent. 

The possibility that football would stop is mentioned, but you can't read that thread and claim everyone knew it was a relegation decider, at least not with a straight face.

Most leagues that stopped played to a finish, and the reality is that nobody knew what was going to happen.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/187606-st-midden-v-heart-of-midlothian-rescheduled-for-113/

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

giphy.gif

It's true mind you.  Just because we are stuck wit him doesn't exempt of criticism. 

wattie exploited
46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You never know, if he fancies it and there's a change in who's running the club, why not? I don't particularly fancy it but I'd give him a chance if no-one completely scunnered me on him first.

the football style would  be a lot better second time around so we will see but I would love to see him back at hearts in the future :rifle:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I'd rather see him get properly backed, not scrambling about in January trying to get someone, anyone, that was available. And let him get his own coaches in.

frankblack
Just now, fancy a brew said:

Big Brother in that 1984 book would have been embarrassed to rewrite history so brazenly.

Here's the match day thread from the St Mirren game. Please quote some posts which show "everyone knew" a shutdown was imminent. 

The possibility that football would stop is mentioned, but you can't read that thread and claim everyone knew it was a relegation decider, at least not with a straight face.

Most leagues that stopped played to a finish, and the reality is that nobody knew what was going to happen.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/187606-st-midden-v-heart-of-midlothian-rescheduled-for-113/

It was discussed across numerous threads at the time on here and the importance of the St Mirren game.

Bazzas right boot

Once Robbie has us finishing in the top 4 for three seasons running and can't take us further, then still no. 

He can be Considered but by that time who knows who will be doing well.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It was discussed across numerous threads at the time on here and the importance of the St Mirren game.

No doubt it was, but it still wasn't a decider because there was more games to play. 

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

As was how unfair it was the season ended.  It's why we went to court. 

Edited by Last Laff

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I won't defend him for sticking with Joel Pereira. That was a very bad call. 

It's so sad. The goals that JP cost us could have made the difference between 12th and 10th - and kept Stendel in a job.

And kept us out of the courts, etc etc etc

Just now, frankblack said:

Was there an embargo about mentioning it on the match day thread? :rofl:

When you've made one thing up, it's better not to make other things up to try to cover your tracks, just admit you were wrong

Too many on here are afraid of change, the guy had good ideas but not enough time carry it out, he also had big brother Lavein beathing over his shoulder.

Think given time he could change things for the better, watching with interest his progress with Nancy in France.

A little more open mindedness is required both at the club and on this site

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

As was how unfair it was the season ended. 

Unfair and predictable go hand in hand in Scottish Football administration, as we all know.

frankblack
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Was there an embargo about mentioning it on the match day thread? :rofl:

When you've made one thing up, it's better not to make other things up to try to cover your tracks, just admit you were wrong

giphy.gif

Please explain how I mentioned an embargo on the match day thread?

Selecting linking to a thread that suits your agenda doesn't prove your point.

frankblack
4 minutes ago, stuartp said:

Too many on here are afraid of change, the guy had good ideas but not enough time carry it out, he also had big brother Lavein beathing over his shoulder.

Think given time he could change things for the better, watching with interest his progress with Nancy in France.

The only person afraid of change was DS who wouldn't change the goalkeeper. 👍

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

We were bottom wen he took over following a 3 year collapse?

Nope 10th.

Ended up 4 adrift at the bottom

He done what many said was impossible, made the CL team worse. 

Longer term tho I think there was potential. 

frankblack
3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Unfair and predictable go hand in hand in Scottish Football administration, as we all know.

Precisely - many warned on here that we were leaving ourselves wide open to get shafted if we lost that St Mirren game.

All we had to do was win that game or get better results in others and we wouldn't have ended up holding the parcel when the music stops.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nope 10th.

Ended up 4 adrift at the bottom

He done what many said was impossible, made the CL team worse. 

Longer term tho I think there was potential. 

He didn’t make it worse at all :lol: Levein had three years ending us at joint bottom of the league.  Stendel for four or five months, some of that with no coaches and Levein still kicking about in made up vacancies.  He didn’t turn the tide but it wasn’t worse than Levein or his hippy pal. 

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Precisely - many warned on here that we were leaving ourselves wide open to get shafted if we lost that St Mirren game.

All we had to do was win that game or get better results in others and we wouldn't have ended up holding the parcel when the music stops.

We shouldn’t have found ourself in that position to begin with.  Unfortunately Levein left us on complete shite we couldn’t recover from. 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

We shouldn’t have found ourself in that position to begin with.  Unfortunately Levein left us on complete shite we couldn’t recover from. 

He got a transfer window but made massive errors with the goalkeeper and his attempts to change the playing style rather than see us through the remainder of the season safely.  That was all he needed to do, then he would have got the summer to make the changes he wanted.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

giphy.gif

Please explain how I mentioned an embargo on the match day thread?

Selecting linking to a thread that suits your agenda doesn't prove your point.

Selecting threads that prove you're lying isn't fair :rofl:

Not really interested in taking it any further, you'll just make some more stuff up, stick your fingers in your ears when it's proven to be BS, and post a gif.

Yes, i'd take him back. He never got to prove himself properly. 24 points to play for and 4 behind, who knows what would've happened. We were already on a terrible run, something like 4 wins in nine months and folk expected Stendel to turn it around straight away. I said in the past that having the previous manager watching every move (and i get the feeling a bit of back-stabbing was going on) and not being able to bring his own coaches in straight away didn't help. The guy was on a hiding to nothing. Stendel stood up, said what we all knew anyway and Budge didn't like that. She was happier with her selected little pets who won't speak back. IF Stendel ever did come back, i would expect it to be when Hearts are being what it's supposed to be, a football club, well after Budge and this turgid regime are out the door.

frankblack
Just now, fancy a brew said:

Not really interested in taking it any further, you'll just make some more stuff up, stick your fingers in your ears when it's proven to be BS, and post a gif.

Nope you haven't proven anything.

You think posting one thread and saying JKB wasn't discussing the imminent shutdown proves your point.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The only person afraid of change was DS who wouldn't change the goalkeeper. 👍

There was more to that goalkeeping situation than folk think. Plus, he did try to get Gordon in in January, Celtic said no.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Yes, he still didn't put us in the Championship. Dundee changing their vote did. 

He picked that useless keeper, 

Cut The Crap

Nah. We're only now starting to get over his last spell in charge. 🙂 

Never really looked like he wanted to be here and it showed when we played.

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

There was no embargo on the match thread, and it was certainly discussed, eg:

"Think it’s pretty critical we win this game tonight by a couple goals tbh, there’s a decent chance this could be one of the last games before atleast some kind of ‘suspension’ takes place with the way things are going. We really can’t afford to be ‘bottom’ when that scenario plays out." 

This is followed by loads of back and forth about whether the numbers were high enough in Scotland to warrant that (plus a few who were in real denial, suggesting it was just a bad cold!). Wishful thinking was also probably playing a part for some, hoping we'd be given time to escape our predicament. Personally, I remember thinking if St Mirren wasn't the last, then it would be the second last game.

Either way, on the actual match thread, you'd expect most of the chat to be about the game itself.

professorfate
1 hour ago, sadj said:

The players? 

I blame the toxic culture at the club and I don’t think any manager would have saved us that season. I do think he was trying to get rid of the deadwood people like Berra for instance whose behaviour was shocking. I would definitely have him back he showed the fans respect unlike that imposter who currently manages us.

29 minutes ago, stuartp said:

Afraid of us attempting the high press? To be fair, I was watching through my fingers most of the time. Did give me the fear.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He didn’t make it worse at all :lol: Levein had three years ending us at joint bottom of the league.  Stendel for four or five months, some of that with no coaches and Levein still kicking about in made up vacancies.  He didn’t turn the tide but it wasn’t worse than Levein or his hippy pal. 

12th is worse than 10th.

Doesn't matter how you dress it up. 

Ofc, he may have got us out of it ( I think we would have) and he might have done well with us going forward. We'll never know for sure. 

What we do know his he taken a Hearts team that was 10th to 4 points adrift at the  bottom-terrible. 

27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

He got a transfer window but made massive errors with the goalkeeper and his attempts to change the playing style rather than see us through the remainder of the season safely.  That was all he needed to do, then he would have got the summer to make the changes he wanted.

He had to sell Mulraney to get anyone in though?  He was given a really poor hand left by Levein.  Check the results even once Levein left.  It was carnage, took 5 weeks and couldn't even get, then took no wage so his coaches got paid.

Yes, but if I had a choice I’d rather we picked a Kickback manager arsehole as they know everything and have the avatar badges to prove it.

frankblack
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

He had to sell Mulraney to get anyone in though?  He was given a really poor hand left by Levein.  Check the results even once Levein left.  It was carnage, took 5 weeks and couldn't even get, then took no wage so his coaches got paid.

He got Boyce in amongst 4 or 5 signings.  According to the likes of you everything is Levein's fault.

A good manager can get enough results to save their team from going down.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

He got Boyce in amongst 4 or 5 signings.  According to the likes of you everything is Levein's fault.

A good manager can get enough results to save their team from going down.

It was Leveins fault.  Moreso, Budge.

8 minutes ago, professorfate said:

I blame the toxic culture at the club and I don’t think any manager would have saved us that season. I do think he was trying to get rid of the deadwood people like Berra for instance whose behaviour was shocking. I would definitely have him back he showed the fans respect unlike that imposter who currently manages us.

Think there was a lot more going on behind the scenes. I still believe there was a lot of back-stabbing going on. It wouldn't have surprised me if Budge was still licking Levein's arse or if Levein was "influencing" certain players shall we say. Mulraney showed Stendel no respect, he got rid. Berra was too slow for high press, he went out on loan and whinged to the press. Whelan wanted to do what Whelan wanted to do, he got rid. McLean was going to be leaving at the end of the season so more deadwood would've been out the door. Ann Budge said she wanted someone to coach the young players and bring them on, he was starting to do that. Ann Budge also said she wanted someone to work with some of the players already there and improve them, he was starting to do that too. Clare was much better, even Bozanic for a start. He brought in Boyce and Sibbick who looked the part, his mistakes were Avdijaj and Langer. He should've brought in a central defender. Maybe he couldn't get who he wanted, i don't know. Gordon was also wanted but Celtic said no. 

The only time i would want him back is when that lot already there are long gone. Only then will he be given any chance to prove either way if he's good enough or not good enough. To judge someone on 4 months after more than three years of inadequacy by certain others is pretty unfair. 

7 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

There was no embargo on the match thread, and it was certainly discussed, eg:

"Think it’s pretty critical we win this game tonight by a couple goals tbh, there’s a decent chance this could be one of the last games before atleast some kind of ‘suspension’ takes place with the way things are going. We really can’t afford to be ‘bottom’ when that scenario plays out." 

This is followed by loads of back and forth about whether the numbers were high enough in Scotland to warrant that (plus a few who were in real denial, suggesting it was just a bad cold!). Wishful thinking was also probably playing a part for some, hoping we'd be given time to escape our predicament. Personally, I remember thinking if St Mirren wasn't the last, then it would be the second last game.

Either way, on the actual match thread, you'd expect most of the chat to be about the game itself.

In my original post I said the possibility of football being suspended was mentioned, Most leagues resumed after a suspension, so even after the suspension 2 days after the game it still wasn't clear what would happen. And then of course there was Dundee's famous spam folder vote, which would have resulted in a different outcome.

I took issue with the statement that everyone knew the St Mirren game was a relegation decider, that's simply a rewriting of history to beat Stendel with.

Fwiw I wasn't bothered when Stendel got sacked.

25 minutes ago, professorfate said:

Toxic culture? Berras behaviour? - ill guess you are going by social media stuff not any insight at the club?

Yasss i want a manager i can get pissed with **** it if we lose to Killie at home , capitulate to Hibs etc because he thought lets play football **** results.

Harsh but accurate. 
Trying to workout which launched poster you are now. Dont tell me ill work it out

professorfate
3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Think there was a lot more going on behind the scenes. I still believe there was a lot of back-stabbing going on. It wouldn't have surprised me if Budge was still licking Levein's arse or if Levein was "influencing" certain players shall we say. Mulraney showed Stendel no respect, he got rid. Berra was too slow for high press, he went out on loan and whinged to the press. Whelan wanted to do what Whelan wanted to do, he got rid. McLean was going to be leaving at the end of the season so more deadwood would've been out the door. Ann Budge said she wanted someone to coach the young players and bring them on, he was starting to do that. Ann Budge also said she wanted someone to work with some of the players already there and improve them, he was starting to do that too. Clare was much better, even Bozanic for a start. He brought in Boyce and Sibbick who looked the part, his mistakes were Avdijaj and Langer. He should've brought in a central defender. Maybe he couldn't get who he wanted, i don't know. Gordon was also wanted but Celtic said no. 

The only time i would want him back is when that lot already there are long gone. Only then will he be given any chance to prove either way if he's good enough or not good enough. To judge someone on 4 months after more than three years of inadequacy by certain others is pretty unfair. 

I honestly believe if we had got Craig Gordon we would not have got relegated.

14 minutes ago, sac said:

Yes, but if I had a choice I’d rather we picked a Kickback manager arsehole as they know everything and have the avatar badges to prove it.

🤣

frankblack
3 minutes ago, professorfate said:

If he had replaced the hologram with Zlamal we might have got extra points.

2 minutes ago, professorfate said:

Oh **** me if we had a statue in goals wed have stayed up. Who chose to keep Pererria in goals? Now , im neither a lover or hater of Stendel but he chose to stick with him. Initially something I agreed with because he could be a sweeper/keeper well sweeper as he didnt know he could use him hands. 

That does not excuse the silly things Stendel did nor say hed be successful or a failure

Just now, frankblack said:

If he had replaced the hologram with Zlamal we might have got extra points.

👍🏻 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Donis Avdijaj on paper was the most exciting and ambitious signing in years

professorfate
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Oh **** me if we had a statue in goals wed have stayed up. Who chose to keep Pererria in goals? Now , im neither a lover or hater of Stendel but he chose to stick with him. Initially something I agreed with because he could be a sweeper/keeper well sweeper as he didnt know he could use him hands. 

That does not excuse the silly things Stendel did nor say hed be successful or a failure

I think he had a impossible task  and the fans believed in him and eventually he would changed the culture at the club. I can’t believe the money we wasted on players like damour who was quite happy sitting on a contract and not playing and the dressing room was full of poisonous characters he was doomed to failure.

Edited by professorfate

Just now, professorfate said:

I think he had a impossible task  and the fans believed in him and eventually he would changed the culture at the club. I can’t believe the money we wasted on players like damour who is quite happy sitting on a contract and not playing and the dressing room was full of poisonous characters he was doomed to failure.

Impossible task? Yet if we played Zlamal wed prob not be bottom 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Poisonous characters? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lot of stuff you are throwing out here please elobarate

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Come on, read between the lines - everyone except you and DS realised it.

Must be something in the initials…🤣

Stendel threads are brilliant , wonder when 

Will be past

Yes. 

I still can't believe the people who hold that single result against At Midden as a reason for saying no. Hearts being shite away to fodder (except Hibs) has been endemic at the club for years and years. It was no shock to me we didn't win that, irrespective of the magnitude of the game.

Stendel would've kept us up on home results. I'd have loved to see what he'd have achieved after a proper pre season to implement his high press attacking football, and still would.