Who found Rudi?

Vlad Magic

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Remember it like it was yesterday. Beautiful sunny Wednesday (?) evening, full of hope and anticipation for the new season.  Though even then we had no idea of just how crazy a season it would be!

I remember the old main stand roof was white too haha even the maintenance round Tynecastle was new with the maroon round the side of the pitch. It was our first time sitting on our new season ticket seat too section X about 23 rows up right behind the goal was a perfect season ticket seat. 

54 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Remember it like it was yesterday. Beautiful sunny Wednesday (?) evening, full of hope and anticipation for the new season.  Though even then we had no idea of just how crazy a season it would be!

It was a good night.

Very exciting and also memorable that, despite all the new signings, it was Paul Hartley who stood out. 

Standing ovation when he came off near the end. Even the Boro fans applauded.

Loved the way Paul instantly lifted his game up to the level of the new lads.

Forget his name of the top of my head but I also remember the big Australian/Croatian striker who played for Boro that night. Booed throughout because of his Celtic past. Some very funny heckling, too, when he came anywhere near some of the fans around us.

What was his feckin name? 😉

Peakybunnet
3 minutes ago, martoon said:

It was a good night.

Very exciting and also memorable that, despite all the new signings, it was Paul Hartley who stood out. 

Standing ovation when he came off near the end. Even the Boro fans applauded.

Loved the way Paul instantly lifted his game up to the level of the new lads.

Forget his name of the top of my head but I also remember the big Australian/Croatian striker who played for Boro that night. Booed throughout because of his Celtic past. Some very funny heckling, too, when he came anywhere near some of the fans around us.

What was his feckin name? 😉

Viduka?

1 minute ago, Peakybunnet said:

Viduka?

Cheers bud.

Marc or sometimes Marco.

Edited by martoon

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Cheers bud.

Marc or sometimes Marco.

You're right with both. He was called Marko at the start of his career but dropped the o. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

You're right with both. He was called Marko at the start of his career but dropped the o. 

Yeah, I vaguely recall he altered it. I did originally post "Mark/Marko" but then edited it. 😊

Салатные палочки

Sebastain Schemmel. Was that the guy who played in England? West Ham maybe. Anyone know why we didn't sign him? Was he pish? 

I remember the back page of the Sun on the day we got Burley. They had pics of his "targets". Two of them were Richard Hughes from Pompey and Matt Holland from Charlton. Skacel was in there as well but, to my shame, I wasn't that excited about him. After the game at Killie and then the derby, it's fair to say I changed my mind.  

13 hours ago, martoon said:

At least we know full well who was responsible for not bringing Rudi back to the club after admin:

The man with an ego that could bridge the River Forth.

To be fair, we were quite successful in the first three seasons after admin.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved it had Rudi returned, but we didn't exactly struggle without him.

4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Sebastain Schemmel. Was that the guy who played in England? West Ham maybe. Anyone know why we didn't sign him? Was he pish? 

I remember the back page of the Sun on the day we got Burley. They had pics of his "targets". Two of them were Richard Hughes from Pompey and Matt Holland from Charlton. Skacel was in there as well but, to my shame, I wasn't that excited about him. After the game at Killie and then the derby, it's fair to say I changed my mind.  

Adam Johnston was playing for them . Gareth Southgate and Ray Parlor 

I remember the transfer news of Matt Holland what went on for a bit Darren Potter from Liverpool at the time also . 

Funny looking back at the names we were linked with eh .

Салатные палочки
9 minutes ago, martoon said:

Yeah, I vaguely recall he altered it. I did originally post "Mark/Marko" but then edited it. 😊

He was a proper diva when he arrived in Scotland. I remember us taking the piss out of the Celtic fans at Tynecastle one night as he had signed then immediately went AWOL without notice. I think when he came back, he had dropped the 'o'. He could play though. 

Admittedly it wasn't as funny as when Rangers were signing Jardel and they played a pre-match soundbite over the tannoy of a commentator shouting "MARIO JARDEL FOR RANGERS" as if he had just burst the back of the net. I think it was for Champions League tickets. They blew their load a bit early with that one :laugh2:

Anyway.....Rudi :loved:

9 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

To be fair, we were quite successful in the first three seasons after admin.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved it had Rudi returned, but we didn't exactly struggle without him.

You're right.

But I wanted Rudi...😄

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I think Joey Barton was one of the 4 pics, SF.

Not 100% sure, by any means.

9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

He was a proper diva when he arrived in Scotland. I remember us taking the piss out of the Celtic fans at Tynecastle one night as he had signed then immediately went AWOL without notice. I think when he came back, he had dropped the 'o'. He could play though. 

Admittedly it wasn't as funny as when Rangers were signing Jardel and they played a pre-match soundbite over the tannoy of a commentator shouting "MARIO JARDEL FOR RANGERS" as if he had just burst the back of the net. I think it was for Champions League tickets. They blew their load a bit early with that one :laugh2:

😄

I remember he had "issues" and caused Celtic problems. As you suggest, he was a player. When he was in the mood.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, micole said:

Indeed it was,I was struggling to keep up with the amount of subs coming and going ,however I remember Bednar ( until he got injure) and Rudi being particular standouts, but I'msure there must have been more...😁

I couldn't believe we turned down Schemel he was great in that game, I remember thinking "we better have some pretty bloody spectacular left back lined up" :laugh2:

Crazy times, free that game was too wasn't it?

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

West Ham, that's right. He was really good, but I'm guessing we didn't sign him because of this beautiful man

5330014579_f334e2ed8c_b.jpg

19 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I don't think the 'o' was ever his doing, as I understood it he's always been Mark, but he's Australian so he gets called Marko a lot

I think the Gudjohnsen rumour a year later was the wildest. 

As if he was going to leave Chelsea to come play in Scotland. No way could we have matched/bettered his salary and no way would he have came North for less.

Still, in the Ardmillan after returning from the Gretna final, that was the chat. Many were adamant. 

I like a signing rumour, even a wild one, but I dismissed that one immediately.

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I couldn't believe we turned down Schemel he was great in that game, I remember thinking "we better have some pretty bloody spectacular left back lined up" :laugh2:

Crazy times, free that game was too wasn't it?

It was. 

Her indoors and I took my Mum to her first ever game.

Our treat. 😄

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think the Gudjohnsen rumour a year later was the wildest. 

As if he was going to leave Chelsea to come play in Scotland. No way could we have matched/bettered his salary and no way would he have came North for less.

Still, in the Ardmillan after returning from the Gretna final, that was the chat. Many were adamant. 

I like a signing rumour, even a wild one, but I dismissed that one immediately.

£7m in one paper. He ended up at Barca that summer :laugh2:

I'll give Vlad his due, he knew how to get us on the back (and front) pages of the papers. 

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

£7m in one paper. He ended up at Barca that summer :laugh2:

I'll give Vlad his due, he knew how to get us on the back (and front) pages of the papers. 

He certainly did.

:4_1_72:

£7m.

23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

West Ham, that's right. He was really good, but I'm guessing we didn't sign him because of this beautiful man

5330014579_f334e2ed8c_b.jpg

I don't think the 'o' was ever his doing, as I understood it he's always been Mark, but he's Australian so he gets called Marko a lot

Schemmel was a right back, he would have replaced Neilson.  Vlad blocked the move and signed Tall instead.

I though he looked good that night against Middlesborogh.

Burley also wanted a right mid but Vlad signed Camazolla, does anyone remember his name? His name began with an S I think.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, andrew said:

Schemmel was a right back, he would have replaced Neilson.  Vlad blocked the move and signed Tall instead.

Burley also wanted a right mid but Vlad signed Camazolla, does anyone remember his name? His name began with an S I think.

Is that right? Funny how the memory plays tricks eh, I would have sworn to that

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, andrew said:

Samuel iirc. 

Sam the Brazilian. 

20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Samuel iirc. 

Sam the Brazilian. 

Was that the bloke Romanov sort of conned out of a contract?

Realised he wasn't up to much then small printed him?

rudi must stay
20 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Simon Hunt, Burley’s scout. 

One of the great failures in recent years was not having a chat with him after Burley left

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Samuel iirc. 

Sam the Brazilian. 

Cammazola. Nice player, no nastyness about him 

6 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Fredri Bobic was on trail with hearts in that summer .

Yep, was a 35-year-old, alcoholic Bobic though, sadly! 

Churchill Barrier
8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

No - the goalkeeper coach was Malcolm Webster who IMO deserves a large share of the credit for the career of our current keeper.

It's quite amazing that over the post JJ years any bad signing was due to John Murray but good ones were credited to others.  Just saying.

Not 100 on that one, i spoke to him at riccarton at the time and i asked him what he thought of Gordon,  he said he didn't think he was as good as being made out and he had a list of keepers he was recomending to sign. He then said he moves too early for crosses,  needed to wait before moving. I mind being really surprised by his comments. Maybe he changed his mind ?

10 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Not 100 on that one, i spoke to him at riccarton at the time and i asked him what he thought of Gordon,  he said he didn't think he was as good as being made out and he had a list of keepers he was recomending to sign. He then said he moves too early for crosses,  needed to wait before moving. I mind being really surprised by his comments. Maybe he changed his mind ?

Or maybe CG concentrated on the identified weaknessas

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, andrew said:

The Tall signing was the beginning of the end for Burley IMO. I remember his comments in the press at the time and was thinking "FFS shut up man, just don't pick him." He had a great opportunity to win the league then he would have had his pick of jobs, but Burley was worried about his reputation taking a hit IMO with all the stories going around about Vlad signing players. The press were constantly asking him about it. Maybe fair enough he wanted to save face but you sometimes have to work with people you don't like or agree with, and you find a way to do it. He could have made it work if he was a bit cleverer about it.

Going to the press with his comments, eg http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4201758.stm, was the worst thing he could do. He kept saying things that he must have known would annoy Vlad, like playing down the idea we could win the league and questioning signings. A month or so later he was gone. Sometimes wonder if Burley would do things differently with hindsight but we've never had his side of the story in detail have we?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Not a dig at you, you'd think that's something a decent GK coach would be sorting out instead of signing other keepers though

14 hours ago, martoon said:

Was that the bloke Romanov sort of conned out of a contract?

Realised he wasn't up to much then small printed him?

I think that might have been an Argentinean player Fernando Screpis.

Leveins Battalion

Hunt was a great scout,Brellier also a great find.Also at Derby picking up guys like Gregorz Rasiak,Inigo Idiakez,Fabian Wilnis and Marjin Reiuser,Morten BisgaardThe guy knew the European market.

On 07/06/2021 at 04:00, trotter said:

The 4-0 derby at Tynie when we absolutely rag-dolled them. His celebration when he scored, running across to the Roseburn and telling them all to **** off out his stadium was the moment I realised the player we had and what he would go on to mean at the club. 

Rudi "got" us. He knew what it meant to play for The Famous. I'd like to have seen him do his coaching badges with us too. 

Churchill Barrier
10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Not a dig at you, you'd think that's something a decent GK coach would be sorting out instead of signing other keepers though

The impression i got was he looked after a fee keepers who he thought were as good.

Clearly wrong given what Gordon has acheived. Im not saying he didn't contribute but to me came accross as a bit of a blow hard.

4 hours ago, WalterEgo said:

I think that might have been an Argentinean player Fernando Screpis.

Spot on, Walter.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hunt was a great scout,Brellier also a great find.Also at Derby picking up guys like Gregorz Rasiak,Inigo Idiakez,Fabian Wilnis and Marjin Reiuser,Morten BisgaardThe guy knew the European market.

Did you know Idiakez turned us down after the 5-1 game in 2002/03

On 07/06/2021 at 09:49, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way as I may be wrong but my recollection was that HMFC already had an interest in Rudi prior to Burley's arrival. When Burley did arrive my understanding was that Simon Hunt then did a double check on Rudi, and one or two others, and agreed all would be good options. Doesn't really help in establishing who or how Rudi came to Hearts attention mind you, if my recollection is correct (which it may not be).

I was told by a pal of Robbo that Skacel and Bednar were on a list of players handed to him at the end of 2004/05. Doubtful tff he at it came from Simon Hunt but he may have been the first to physically watch the pair and bring Hearts to their attention. 

Spellczech
On 07/06/2021 at 17:25, rudi must stay said:

One of the great failures in recent years was not having a chat with him after Burley left

Really? I remember all the talk at the time was that he was our "superscout" but I see little evidence in what little Wiki has on him that he was that hot either before or after...I wonder if it perhaps wasn't him after all who found us all those players that summer?