Who found Rudi?

Vlad Magic

Vlad Magic

I would love to know the who, the when and the how our darling Rudi ended up at Tynecastle?

How did this particular diamond end up shining?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Simon Hunt, Burley’s scout. 

Got to say that is impressive memory 

He was born to :fth: 

It doesn’t matter who found him, it’s his incredible handsomeness that wins the day.  😎

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I would love to know the who, the when and the how our darling Rudi ended up at Tynecastle?

How did this particular diamond end up shining?

Yeah it keeps me up nights. has done since he left us in 2012 or whenever.

Vaguely recall watching an England v. Czech friendly, maybe u-21, perhaps even a Man U/Sparta Euro tie, and the name Rudolph Skacel was frequently mentioned.

When we signed him in '05, a number of years later, the name rang a bell.

That's my only fore-knowledge of the great man and even that's probably misremembered, drunken nonsense.

At least we know full well who was responsible for not bringing Rudi back to the club after admin:

The man with an ego that could bridge the River Forth.

Unknown user
52 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

This guy. Transformed the way we scouted then Mad Vlad tore it all up 🙈

FAC109BB-B97F-426D-9032-7920FB8F830A.jpeg

DB9FC644-F766-4026-B55F-8AB46EFAD6EF.jpeg

Wasn't he officially the goalkeeper coach or something?

53 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

This guy. Transformed the way we scouted then Mad Vlad tore it all up 🙈

FAC109BB-B97F-426D-9032-7920FB8F830A.jpeg

Who's beer belly is that?

StevenNaismith
15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Number 2/chief scout if I remember correctly.

J

1 hour ago, martoon said:

At least we know full well who was responsible for not bringing Rudi back to the club after admin:

The man with an ego that could bridge the River Forth.

Irks me to this day and always will.  Although I hoped levein would be successful I held deep forebodings after that attrocious decision and they proved to be well founded regrettably.

He worked for our cause during those dark days and when that work bore fruit, he would have loved a season in that division.  Not only would hibs abd rangers have held no fears for him he would have loved seeing the whites of their eyes.

An absolute tragedy.

5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

J

Irks me to this day and always will.  Although I hoped levein would be successful I held deep forebodings after that attrocious decision and they proved to be well founded regrettably.

He worked for our cause during those dark days and when that work bore fruit, he would have loved a season in that division.  Not only would hibs abd rangers have held no fears for him he would have loved seeing the whites of their eyes.

An absolute tragedy.

Rudi was 35 that summer but there's no doubt for me, then and now, that he would have been terrific for Hearts for another year or two.

No chance of that, though, when the Fife sized ego landed.

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Rudi was 35 that summer but there's no doubt for me, then and now, that he would have been terrific for Hearts for another year or two.

No chance of that, though, when the Fife sized ego landed.

And he wanted to come.  And he would have cost us nothing.

A classy, marquee player who loved our club and we reciprocated.

Levein should have gone to jail for that.  And I'm sure you're right in suggesting that it was all about his ego.

The 4-0 derby at Tynie when we absolutely rag-dolled them. His celebration when he scored, running across to the Roseburn and telling them all to **** off out his stadium was the moment I realised the player we had and what he would go on to mean at the club. 

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

And he wanted to come.  And he would have cost us nothing.

A classy, marquee player who loved our club and we reciprocated.

Levein should have gone to jail for that.  And I'm sure you're right in suggesting that it was all about his ego.

Abslote rubbish. 

It had nothing to do with Levein.

Rudi was only training with Hearts under John McGlynn and he then and went signed for Dundee Utd and also couldn’t sign due to being under a transfer embargo.

Edited by Chaps

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did he not scout Bednar as well?

I heard that Bednar was a "makeweight" signing so we could sign Pospisil .... and it was George Foulkes who started the dialogue on that one.

6 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is the guy still working??

Had a pretty decent career in England with some big clubs.

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Rudi was only training with Hearts under John McGlynn and he then and went signed for Dundee Utd and also couldn’t sign due to being under a transfer embargo

That's true.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/20096091.amp

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Abslote rubbish. 

It had nothing to do with Levein.

That's not true. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13165017.hearts-exit-administration/

26 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

In addition, a coaching, but not playing role, has been offered to fans' favourite Rudi Skacel.”

Nothing to do with playing or Levein rejecting him. 

In fact Rudi rejected the offer because we wanted to continue playing.

The Grim Reaper
10 minutes ago, Chaps said:

In addition, a coaching, but not playing role, has been offered to fans' favourite Rudi Skacel.”

Is that not what they’re saying? Rudi should have been offered an extension to his playing contract but Levein chose not to. 

11 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Is that not what they’re saying? Rudi should have been offered an extension to his playing contract but Levein chose not to. 

He’s wasn’t with us at the time.

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, Chaps said:

He’s wasn’t with us at the time.

Ah ok, but what they’re saying is Rudi should have been offered a playing contract but wasn’t. I agree with them. 

12 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

He's the real hero here. Statue on the plaza or Budge out.

glynnlondon
59 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He appeared riding a golden unicorn. Delivered by god himself :wub:

Then rode the Hibs everytime afterwards

49 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Folk were disgruntled because Rudi wanted a playing contract and Levein kyboshed it, glad you agree now.

Nothing to do with McGlynn as you claimed earlier.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Had a pretty decent career in England with some big clubs.

Most recently seems he was “poised to become sporting director at Wolves” last summer but seems that fell through as they promoted Scott Sellars internally some months later. Maybe COVID impacted things.

If things go tits up with Savage, that’s us got our fans shout for new DoF: ffs budge, get the guy that signed Rudi signed! 

portobellojambo1
13 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way as I may be wrong but my recollection was that HMFC already had an interest in Rudi prior to Burley's arrival. When Burley did arrive my understanding was that Simon Hunt then did a double check on Rudi, and one or two others, and agreed all would be good options. Doesn't really help in establishing who or how Rudi came to Hearts attention mind you, if my recollection is correct (which it may not be).

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

His official job title was assistant manager. He normally sat in the stand. The goalkeeping coach stood next to Burley during matches. He might be the man with the beer belly from the picture a few posts up.

Ibrahim Tall

Skácel was a full Czech international that had played for Slavia, Marseille and Panathinaikos aswell as in the Champions League, think ‘found’ is taking liberties whoever it was that identified him. :laugh2:

Bednar/Pospíšil, ok. Jankauskas, Fyssas, Rudi, Naw. 

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

No - the goalkeeper coach was Malcolm Webster who IMO deserves a large share of the credit for the career of our current keeper.

It's quite amazing that over the post JJ years any bad signing was due to John Murray but good ones were credited to others.  Just saying.

hughesie27

Thank god he never signed for us again for a 3rd spell. Absolutely not point wasting 2 perfect spells at the club with silverware.

As history shows as well, we never needed him. We won the Championship at a canter and then finished 3rd the first year we were back. Then we 'sacked' Neilson whilst in 2nd place.

The Old Tolbooth
10 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is the guy still working??

That's what I was thinking too :lol: 

11 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Was his first game the freebie against Middlesbrough.

Indeed it was,I was struggling to keep up with the amount of subs coming and going ,however I remember Bednar ( until he got injure) and Rudi being particular standouts, but I'msure there must have been more...😁

Remember the Middlesbrough friendly at Tynecastle seeing all the new players for the first time could hardly pronounce the names. Never knew who was who. 

What a brilliant season and players we had was a good year to support Hearts I was only 12/13. Going to school with Rangers and Celtic fans feeling good that we were a force and could do something special. 

3 minutes ago, micole said:

Indeed it was,I was struggling to keep up with the amount of subs coming and going ,however I remember Bednar ( until he got injure) and Rudi being particular standouts, but I'msure there must have been more...😁

image.png.9cd4cc6a353a6bd280613e0b1a7260a3.png

5 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Remember the Middlesbrough friendly at Tynecastle seeing all the new players for the first time could hardly pronounce the names. Never knew who was who. 

What a brilliant season and players we had was a good year to support Hearts I was only 12/13. Going to school with Rangers and Celtic fans feeling good that we were a force and could do something special. 

Remember it like it was yesterday. Beautiful sunny Wednesday (?) evening, full of hope and anticipation for the new season.  Though even then we had no idea of just how crazy a season it would be!