Changes to Working Patterns as a Result of Covid

Konrad von Carstein

Gordon Ramsay

Been WFH since the start of this and much prefer it. Save so much money on fuel and so much time not sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day. 

I have been a lot more productive at work being in the house too. No twats coming to my desk to tell me what they had for dinner last night. A lot more focused. 

My partner is due to give birth to our first child in August so I am hoping I can continue at home for the forseeable future. The noises coming out my work is that a blended approach will be the way forward. Would have preferred full time WFH but I can deal with some office/some home time. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Unknown user

• westbow

• A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow
59 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Been WFH since the start of this and much prefer it. Save so much money on fuel and so much time not sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day. 

I have been a lot more productive at work being in the house too. No twats coming to my desk to tell me what they had for dinner last night. A lot more focused. 

My partner is due to give birth to our first child in August so I am hoping I can continue at home for the forseeable future. The noises coming out my work is that a blended approach will be the way forward. Would have preferred full time WFH but I can deal with some office/some home time. 

The line coming down from the top at my work is "moments that matter". They know we don't need to be there to do our jobs, but they would like us to show face when it matters...those moments are as yet undefined though.  

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Taffin said:

That's simply unavoidable for many people who've been working from home over the last year. Flatmates, parents, kids, partners will all have been within earshot and sight of screen for large parts of the day. 

Many people work on trains, on planes, in hotels and shared working spaces already. I'm not sure it would really be anything new, just on a larger scale.

Yes that’s all true . I almost barricade myself in my work “ office “ as my partner threatens to come through in the scud when I’m in a meeting 😂 

9 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's an interesting point they make though.

A possible way to mitigate the security risks is to finally, finally bin the "meetings culture" that is so common in most work places. Cut the number of phone calls right down for sensitive stuff, and replace the meeting with an email,  that would always have sufficed anyway. You can put a privacy film on your monitor so it can't be easily read by others too. 

There are solutions to a lot of these problems, there just needs to be the will to do it. I think the savings on rent will motivate a lot of organisations. 

Good suggestions 

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

The current guidance at even level zero is to still work at home as much as we can . I think this will be well into the autumn and beyond 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm intrigued as to what you do now! I'm imagining some kind of super spy...or finance.

Yeh the risks can definitely be mitigated. I don't think most people are in a position like Smithee though where it's quite so secretive. For example, there's not much value to anyone else if they get a glimpse of my shoddy Visio work flows 😂

I'm not actually allowed to say, I can only assure you that it's waaaay more boring than anything you're thinking!

Driver for Lothian Buses, other than driving an empty bus about nothing has changed for us, in fact they've started making some of the shifts slightly longer by about 20/30 mins nothing drastic.

Most folks in our offices will be adopting hybrid working with a 3/2 split in either direction, personally I'm intending to wfh almost full time with only the very occasional day in the office. I'm no longer managing any staff and i'm the only person from my department that's actually based in Scotland so there really is little need for me to physically be in an office in Livingston to then have the same phone/skype calls with folks in London, Milan, Munich or Philly that i'd be having in the house.

In fact going forwards my 'office days' will more likely be for in person meetings in London rather than the Livi Office.

I'd only been in the current role 4 or 5 months so wfh was tricky to start with but no problem now. Amazed how fast the weeks go , I can see downsides if you don't have much space or kids under your feet, but I have neither issue.

Only folk in certain industries-roles (which are many) can work from home.

And those who do fundamentally have KPIs, targets or deadlines to meet.  

Whether you WFH or in office makes little difference and should reflect in evidential appraisals.  Or whatever that balance may be.

It is very much a case of who annoys you more.  Your family or the ill informed self opinionated know it all, know bugger all colleagues that you have to listen to during non work activities-downtime at work you don't have to endure when WFH?

(Of which I may be one 😉)

Edited by DETTY29

Howdy Doody Jambo

This working from home sounds like a prison sentence, working and living alongside your partner every day and night of the week must test relationships to the max, divorces will no doubt be on the rise, with home's turning into office's where do you switch off and unwind living at work? It may suit the singles and antisocial persons to lock themselves into their own wee bubble although it must test loneliness and mental health without daily social interaction 

What's going to stop employer's in the future tendering out these job's to countries with much less salaries to pay out, making redundancies in the UK, cutting expenses further and making bigger profits? As there's no difference where the job is located as long as the work gets done 

Once the vaccine programme is completed there will be no reason for workers not returning to the office that's when the tears 😭 will start 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

16 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

This working from home sounds like a prison sentence, working and living alongside your partner every day and night of the week must test relationships to the max, divorces will no doubt be on the rise, with home's turning into office's where do you switch off and unwind living at work? It may suit the singles and antisocial persons to lock themselves into their own wee bubble although it must test loneliness and mental health without daily social interaction 

What's going to stop employer's in the future tendering out these job's to countries with much less salaries to pay out, making redundancies in the UK, cutting expenses further and making bigger profits? As there's no difference where the job is located as long as the work gets done 

Once the vaccine programme is completed there will be no reason for workers not returning to the office that's when the tears 😭 will start 

The reason for not going back is that there was never a reason to go in the first place other than to appease micro managers and those sad sacks who need social interaction with others who are being paid to be there.

If anyone would genuinely rather spend 10 hours a day with their colleagues than their husband or wife then they've married the wrong person.

Edit: This could equally be flipped around to say I'm in the wrong job. That's also possible 😂 (I love most of the days out and about, but I hate the office).

Edited by Taffin

A Boy Named Crow
8 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The bit in bold is a very real possibility. I'm in a role that could probably be done from any location in the world, so long as that person was up to speed on Australian accounting standards etc. 

It does raise the question,  why do we in the "western*" world believe we are worth more money than somebody in a poorer country? Over time this may lead to a better distribution of wealth around the world. 

Am I worried about myself as an individual? A bit, aye. Do I think it might be a good thing for humanity? Probably. 

*I say Western, but I'm about as far east as it gets...regardless, you know what I mean 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow