***EURO 2020 Tournament overview***

Cade

International Football Finals are back! :yas:

It's a year late, it's bigger than ever, it's spread out all over the continent and qualification was complicated as shite, but it's very good to have the EUROs back.

HOSTS

trP30Zp.jpg
As the tournament has been expanded from 16 nations playing 31 matches to 24 nations playing 51 matches (and because it's the 60th anniversary of the tournament), UEFA decided to spread it out all over the continent rather than making one nation have to pay for all of that.

In total, 11 nations will be hosts.

Originally there was 12 but Ireland were removed as a host due to not being able to guarantee enough fans in their stadium so all their matches were moved to Russia instead.

The 11 hosts spread from Seville in the far south-west of Spain to St Petersburg (Russia) in the north to Baku in the east of Azerbaijan. 

Obviously, UEFA couldn't simply give 11 nations an instant qualification spot, so this time around everybody had to go through the entire qualification process.

2 of the host nations failed to qualify (Azerbaijan are just bad, Romania failed at the play-off stage).

QUALIFYING

7n3ZXD1.jpg

Qualifying was complicated, to say the least.

With all 55 nations in UEFA taking part, there was a lot of filtering to do to get down to 24 finalists.

A maximum of 2 host nations could go in each qualifying group.

Some teams were prohibited from playing each other due to politics (how mental is that?).
A maximum of two teams from nations which have severe winters could go in each group (also bonkers but prudent due to scheduling).

A maximum of one pairing of teams with excessive travel distance between them could go in a group.

And as always there was the pots based on rankings.

Eventually we ended up with 5 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6.

The first qualifying matches began on 21st March 2019.

Everybody in a group played each other twice.

Top two from each group automatically qualified.

This gave us the first 20 teams. 

The other 4 finalists were selected based on their performance in the Nations League.

Each of the 4 Leagues was given one finalist place.

4 teams who had not already qualified for the EUROs from each League would then get a play-off berth. 

If less than 4 teams from that League had not already qualified then the next League down got an extra play off spot.

The selection process of who from each League made up which playoff grouping is even more complicated than the selection of the EUROs qualifying groups, so I'm not even going to bother attempting to explain it.

Playoffs were a semi-final and a final, both single-leg and going to ET and pens if needed.
The four playoff finals were held on 12th November 2020

20 months to get from 55 teams down to the final 24.

FINALS FORMAT

The opening Group Stage consists of 6 groups of 4 teams playing each other once, with the top two of each group automatically going forward.

Each group is playing all its games in two stadiums. Host nations get between two and three home games. Other teams have to do a bit of travelling, with some poor buggers covering thousands of miles between each game.

This gives us 12 teams, so 4 more will qualify based on a league table composed of all the 3rd place teams, ranked on points, goal difference, goals scored, wins, disciplinary record and qualifying ranking if it comes down to that.

After that, it's the usual Knock-out stages we all know and love/hate/fear.

Group A; Turkey, Italy, Wales, Switzerland 
Locations: Baku (Azerbaijan), Rome (Italy). Distance between cities: 1,930 miles
Italy have all three matches in Rome.
The Swiss are the big travellers in this group, starting in Baku, then off to Rome for the next game then back to Baku.

Group B; Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Russia

Locations: Copenhagen (Denmark), St Petersburg (Russia). Distance between cities: 716 miles

Denmark have all three matches in Copenhagen.

Belgium are the big travellers in this group, starting in St Petersburg then off to Copenhagen then back to St Petersburg.

Group C; Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia

Locations: Bucharest (Romania), Amsterdam (Netherlands). Distance between cities: 1,111 miles

Netherlands have all three matches in Amsterdam.

Austria are the big travellers in this groups, starting in Bucharest then off to Amsterdam then back to Bucharest.

Group D; England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic

Locations: London (England), Glasgow (Scotland). Distance between cities: 345 miles
England have all three matches in London.

Scotland are the big travellers in this group, starting in Glasgow, then off to London then back to Glasgow.

Group E; Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia

Locations: St Petersburg (Russia), Seville (Spain). Distance between cities: 2,226 miles
Spain have all three matches in Seville.

Poland are the big travellers in this group, starting in St Petersburg then off to Seville then back to St Petersburg.

Group F; Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany
Locations: Budapest (Hungary), Munich (Germany). Distance between cities: 349 miles
Germany have all three matches in Munich.
Portugal are the big travellers in this groups, starting in Budapest then off to Munich then back to Budapest.

How will all the travelling affect teams?

Will Covid strike and cause utter mayhem?

Will the tournament make it to the Final?

Will Scotland make it out of the group?
Will England get papped out in the QFs again?

Who's going to be the villains?

Who's going to be the heroes?

Will VAR be good or pish?

Cannae feckin wait to find out :greggy:

Edited by Cade

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Mikey1874

• Boab

• Last Laff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:dramaqueen:  too much for me to take.   Was a good post, indeed.

Exciting build-up you have portrayed.   I might even go full strip :lol:   Scotland of course.    Need to buy one first. 

professorfate

I fancy England to win it they probably have their best squad in decades and have arguably the best centre forward in Europe.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Robert Lewandowski would like a word.

Killian Mbappe too.

44 minutes ago, professorfate said:

I fancy England to win it they probably have their best squad in decades and have arguably the best centre forward in Europe.

England are two centre half’s and a dominant playmaking midfielder away from it. 

professorfate
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Robert Lewandowski would like a word.

He plays in a pish league and a one team league at that.

6 minutes ago, professorfate said:

Rubbish 

Winner from Group D (England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic) plays runner-up from Group F (Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany)

Runner-up from Group D plays runner-up from Group E (Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia)

Gooooood luck

Edited by Cade

professorfate
Just now, Last Laff said:

Rubbish 

How many German leagues has David Alaba won ?

3 minutes ago, professorfate said:

How many German leagues has David Alaba won ?

Dinnae  ken or your point? 

professorfate

I don’t class the bundesliga as great league I like the English premier league and la liga and possibly the Italian league. I think it is stunning that PSG lost the league my granny could score goals for them.

Edited by professorfate

Салатные палочки

Seen at least ten Scotland shirts when out and about today and bunting/flags in a few of the pubs. Seems like people are really getting in the mood for it. It's great for us to be back in a major tournament and also just great to have a major international tournament to look forward to again. 

I stop for two weeks leave on Friday and I'm buzzing for watching the games, especially the Scotland ones. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

professorfate
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Dinnae  ken or your point? 

My point he has won 10 German titles which says to me it is a very one sided league. I advise anybody for next season get premier sports and watch la liga best league in the world. I watched la liga all season in the last month of the season there was four teams who could have won the title.

Edited by professorfate

3 minutes ago, professorfate said:

My point he has won 10 German titles which says to me it is a very one sided league. I advise anybody for next season get premier sports and watch la liga best league in the world. I watched la liga all season in the last month of the season there was four teams who could have won the title.

It's more competitive at the moment, yes.  But better teams? 

professorfate
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

It's more competitive at the moment, yes.  But better teams? 

I get what you are saying but the Spanish teams are transition with the Barca players getting older and moving on or retiring and Real Madrid have a very old team. I guess what I am saying is football goes in cycles.

copa-mundial
29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

England are two centre half’s and a dominant playmaking midfielder away from it. 

The centre backs I agree with 100 percent. 

However. They have Grealish and Foden, as ball playing midfielders. Both are top drawer players in my opinion anyway. 

professorfate
Just now, Barack said:

Makes a change from the usual two teams in Spain & the one team in Italy that's dominated it up until this year, I suppose.

Not picking an argument, but when he was at Dortmund, it wasn't exactly a fluke or a one team league. 

You go to bigger teams, you'll inevitably get more opportunities. Which is why, Kane really needs to leave Spurs, as he'll never achieve a Champions League, or a European Golden Boot. As examples.

They're all really, really, good. Let's just agree there.👍🏻

👍

Got a feeling someone could do a wales and sneak their way to the semi’s, some unfancied team a;though not too sure who

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Got a feeling someone could do a wales and sneak their way to the semi’s, some unfancied team a;though not too sure who

Imagine the buzz around the country if it was us. I want to fall in love with the national team again. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Imagine the buzz around the country if it was us. I want to fall in love with the national team again. 

The Netherlands game showed we're fairly creative going forward but our defence gives me the fear a bit - changed days!

I'm really looking forward to it, mon Scotland!

When we kick off against the Czechs, it will have been 8,393 days since Scotland last appeared at an International Finals.

37 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

If we get through the groups the country will go bananas

John Findlay

We deserve to be winning, but the performance overall has been poor.

Giving the ball away far to often.

McTominay and McGinn being the two most guilty at present.

David Marshall's kicking out has been poor too.

Jeffros Furios

England won't win with Pickford in goals the guy lacks composure .

"A narrow loss to Brazil, decent draw with Norway, all we need is avoid getting beat off Morocco and let Brazil take care of Norway for us"

Scotland 0-3 Morocco

Brazil 1-2 Norway

:vrface:

2 hours ago, professorfate said:

What???? 🤔 you aren’t being serious surely

2 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

The centre backs I agree with 100 percent. 

However. They have Grealish and Foden, as ball playing midfielders. Both are top drawer players in my opinion anyway. 

Not the type of midfielder I meant. Neither is going to sit in around the centre circle and dictate a game. 

3 hours ago, professorfate said:

FFS

Have you watched Benzema?

I know its bold statement but I'd say England are vastly overrated.

We tend to look at the forwards when assessing teams, but it might be better to look at the defences. Good luck with Mings and Coady. 

What's always interesting is the draw permutations.

I think I saw a while back England could play Germany last 16. 

Savage Vince

Excellent OP. 

Hopefully Covid doesn't spoil a tournament that could really brighten up folks recreational time for a few weeks. 

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What's always interesting is the draw permutations.

I think I saw a while back England could play Germany last 16. 

Winner from Group D (England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic) plays runner-up from Group F (Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany)

Runner-up from Group D plays runner-up from Group E (Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia)

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

England if they win Group will get momentum from winning that game.

They won't be favourites though even with the game being at Wembley. 

Of course maybe England will actively avoid winning group. 

Edited by Mikey1874

August Landmesser

Excellent OP,thanks @Cade

Hadn't occurred to me that VAR is being used. FFS. Hopefully it's implemented better/less badly than in EPL.

Anyway, starting to get The Hope re Scotland. Potentially three qualifying from our group, a well-organised, well drilled squad, are we the St J of international football?

Didn't imagine after France 98 I'd be waiting 23 years for tournament football, here's to justifiable (to Mrs AL) daytime pints, crazy hopes & dreams and sunburn!

Mentally preparing for heartbreak though.