Harry cochrane

Newton51

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Don't really no the ins and outs of this but it does a lot to reinforce my existing belief that sending young players on loan to the lower divisions in Scotland is a complete waste of time. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bongo 1874

• Morgan

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Don't really no the ins and outs of this but it does a lot to reinforce my existing belief that sending young players on loan to the lower divisions in Scotland is a complete waste of time. 

Didn’t do Craig Gordon any harm. 

I could probably list dozens more but I doubt it would make any difference.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Didn’t do Craig Gordon any harm. 

I could probably list dozens more but I doubt it would make any difference.

No absolute measure. Although our two biggest youth successes over the last 15 years are probably Paterson and Hickey - both nurtured and played in the first team. I don't see the point in sending them away. If we think they're good enough we should be playing them when we can. One of our main strategic goals should be developing players to sell on to the English Championship or, if we're lucky, higher. Ain't gonna happen by having our future stars hacking away at Montrose. 

I'd also be interested to see if you actually could name dozens of youngsters who have benefited from a loan spell. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

No absolute measure. Although our two biggest youth successes over the last 15 years are probably Paterson and Hickey - both nurtured and played in the first team. I don't see the point in sending them away. If we think they're good enough we should be playing them when we can. One of our main strategic goals should be developing players to sell on to the English Championship or, if we're lucky, higher. Ain't gonna happen by having our future stars hacking away at Montrose. 

We can’t play them all. The exceptional will be in the squad and play....the others who aren’t quite ready go out and play lower down the leagues.

Most bigger clubs work this way.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We can’t play them all. The exceptional will be in the squad and play....the others who aren’t quite ready go out and play lower down the leagues.

Most bigger clubs work this way.

Last sentence is key for me. We aren't a big enough club to justify it. And also, the standard we send them to isn't good enough. 

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Impressive 👍

Thanks , Took my inspiration from some wordsmith on here and combined it with my amusement at the hibees 🤘🏻

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Can’t escape the lunatics in the asylum pal 😉

I know, R.

If only there was a way.  🤷🏿‍♂️

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Impressive 👍

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Thanks , Took my inspiration from some wordsmith on here and combined it with my amusement at the hibees 🤘🏻

You two.  🙄

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Last sentence is key for me. We aren't a big enough club to justify it. And also, the standard we send them to isn't good enough. 

It’s all relative imo.

We are big enough club in Scotland....if we want to make the academy work we need to put some players out on loan. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

young enough to sort you out hibs c@@@  

Waverley was a Tim shop unlike the Cabin

Your funny as, we have met I believe, cannot remember if if was the dykes but you couldnt sort me out. I am as Hearts as you are, Waverley Inn played in Celtic strips right enough 

Bongo 1874
5 hours ago, DH1986 said:

And went off because of the injury he received the previous week after a tackle by Brellier.

A tackle which people on this very thread have celebrated.

Stop posting nonsense now please. Cheers.

Yeah but managed to play the next game against rangers and train yeah 😂🤔

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah but managed to play the next game against rangers and train yeah 😂🤔

Yes.

He broke his fibula........and because of the level you played at you’ll know it’s not inconceivable that this is possible.

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, DH1986 said:

And went off because of the injury he received the previous week after a tackle by Brellier.

A tackle which people on this very thread have celebrated.

Stop posting nonsense now please. Cheers.

A tackle which was not even a foul.

Hard but fair imo.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't wish to step into your wee tiff but it is my recollection that Brown had damaged his fibula prior to the Hearts game. 

This became public before the match and I distinctly recall Brellier standing near the halfway line during the warmup and watching Brown. We all commented on it in the stand. 

It was obvious to us that a cementing was on the cards and so it transpired. 

Nothing wrong with that I hasten to add. Brellier was simply doing what any good pro would do. Test out a weakness. The fact that Brown ended up with a broken fibula is neither here nor there. 

Don't recall how long he was out for but it would be a while with a fracture.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

A tackle which was not even a foul.

Hard but fair imo.

For the record....

I have no issues with the Brellier tackle.....anyone who’s played football at any level will have gone in hard on the wee cocky bugger on the other team.

And I have no issues with Brown for his tackle on Cochrane.......Cochrane was quick to give a late boot McGinn at ER so it’s all fair in my opinion.

I did have an issue with Bongo saying Brown wasn’t a better player than Brellier but I think he’s now realised how ridiculous that argument was and he’s hiding behind the couch......ashamed of himself.

Edited by DH1986

Spellczech
15 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Seems the OF benefit both by sending players to fellow SPL teams where they cannot play against their parent club and now with colt teams where they can play together against lower/non league teams. Seems that we don't really have a strategy at all and just send them where someone will take them...

And we're back in the game, look into my eyes, the eyes. does anyone know of any signings happening today, or tomorrow or you get the idea.

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

For the record....

I have no issues with the Brellier tackle.....anyone who’s played football at any level will have gone in hard on the wee cocky bugger on the other team.

And I have no issues with Brown for his tackle on Cochrane.......Cochrane was quick to give a late boot McGinn at ER so it’s all fair in my opinion.

I did have an issue with Bongo saying Brown wasn’t a better player than Brellier but I think he’s now realised how ridiculous that argument was and he’s hiding behind the couch......ashamed of himself.

Ahh to hark back to the old days of standing just off the pitch flicking your studs off concrete to sharpen it before you went in hard on them too. What about when you were young and you could wind them up , let them go in on you but were so far out their league you knew exactly when it was coming and let them **** up and get a red card but also you’d come down on top of them and leave something on them so they learned not to be a dick. Meanwhile you didnt so much as feel a tiny wee knock…

17 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I'd also be interested to see if you actually could name dozens of youngsters who have benefited from a loan spell. 

There have been plenty promising young players that have not benefitted much - Cochrane, Novikovas, Elliot.  Also, quite a few that seemed to have benefitted - Irving, Gordon, Neilson.  

One additional consideration, regarding your mentioning Paterson and Hickey, is that both definitely improved as individuals by getting game time, however the team arguably suffered overall at having to play inexperienced players.  Paterson's teams doing poorly in the league, losing league cup final, getting relegated, before the champ winning season.  Hickey's teams doing pretty poorly, finishing bottom when the season was curtailed.  I'm in no way blaming these players, they were the bright lights of bad times, but chucking young players in and expecting success is not exactly tried and tested.