Craig Levein joins Brechin

Selkirkhmfc1874

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

John Robertson never played in the Scottish Cup final that he got his only winners medal for.

He still won something.  Also the LOI cup, Scottish Championship. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pointon

• martoon

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He still won something.  Also the LOI cup, Scottish Championship. 

Nice try.

On 04/06/2021 at 15:41, tartofmidlothian said:

Bets on Austin MacPhee getting the manager's job?

Or Ian Cathro? :o

Literally just seen him at the skatepark in Newport. MacPhee that is. Should have asked him :lol:

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Nice try.

It's not a try it's a fact.  Robbo has a Scottish Cup winners medal and LOI winner medal.

professorfate

I was delighted when Levein got made manager I had a season ticket the first time. I thought the first time his hearts teams were good to watch and he certainly had a eye for a player then. I think the Scotland job broke him as a manager he should had a bit of class and left for good of the club unfortunately that is going to be his legacy.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, professorfate said:

I was delighted when Levein got made manager I had a season ticket the first time. I thought the first time his hearts teams were good to watch and he certainly had a eye for a player then. I think the Scotland job broke him as a manager he should had a bit of class and left for good of the club unfortunately that is going to be his legacy.

Probably why he wants to get back into the game. For a manager he's still no age. Around the same age as Steve Clarke and the Aussie Celtic are after. Folk forget he was actually quite young and inexperienced managing Hearts first time around.

Edited by ToqueJambo

jambostuart
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Probably why he wants to get back into the game. For a manager he's still no age. Around the same age as Steve Clarke and the Aussie Celtic are after. Folk forget he was actually quite young and inexperienced managing Hearts first time around.

he took a kicking as Scotland manager and had health issues at Hearts. People can (with a bit of justification) call him all they want, but I think his love for the club and his determination to be the man to turn us around took hold of him and he couldn't stop. He saw his legacy and wanted it to be Hearts. Before his health scare and before his Scotland tenure he was regarded as a very very decent manager. 

If that was me, I'd possibly have found it just as difficult to admit defeat and let go. A career burdened by injuries, a shafting as the national manager and feeling your time run short? I can see the "Just give me this chance to tell them I am a winner" taking hold.

42 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

he took a kicking as Scotland manager and had health issues at Hearts. People can (with a bit of justification) call him all they want, but I think his love for the club and his determination to be the man to turn us around took hold of him and he couldn't stop. He saw his legacy and wanted it to be Hearts. Before his health scare and before his Scotland tenure he was regarded as a very very decent manager. 

If that was me, I'd possibly have found it just as difficult to admit defeat and let go. A career burdened by injuries, a shafting as the national manager and feeling your time run short? I can see the "Just give me this chance to tell them I am a winner" taking hold.

Aye.

Any delusional, pig headed, egotistical, money grabbing charlatan with a sucker of a boss would do the same.

No one who loved Heart of Midlothian would, however.

Governor Tarkin
On 05/06/2021 at 18:17, Boab said:

Of course. I only point I was trying to make was I wouldn’t come on here calling Chuck Berry a loser as he had won nothing.

That's because Berry is Bar-Ox and a PHM.

Lhevein is a ****.

Auldbenches
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's because Berry is Bar-Ox and a PHM.

Lhevein is a ****.

All this levein being phm stuff...  Was he at any of the cup finals on 98, 06,and 2012?   Any genuine phm would've bought a ticket for these matches.   

I bet ex players like Robbo, locke and Mackay were at them.  

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

All this levein being phm stuff...  Was he at any of the cup finals on 98, 06,and 2012?   Any genuine phm would've bought a ticket for these matches.   

I've genuinely no idea, bud, sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Auldbenches
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

I've genuinely no idea, bud, sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully someone knows so we can clear up this phm stuff.  

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Levein didn't attend the '98 final. I remember him saying after it that he'd deliberately stayed away.

Not sure about '06 but he was working for the BBC v. Hibs.

Someone recently posted a link to the entire Sportscene that afternoon and he was a half time studio pundit alongside Nevin. 

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Given that Robbo was a sub in 98, Locke was club captain and lifted the trophy, and Locke was assistant manager in 2012, and Robbo walked round Hampden with the cup as part of the pre match build-up, that's probably a pretty safe bet tbh.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cant make up my mind what went wrong 2nd time. Stab at it, he spread himself too thin, cut corners and made a coos airse of it. Factor in what he had known to work 15 - 20 years previous, time had moved on and he hadn't, a reluctance to move forwards.

I find it sad that the early days of 2018/9 were the blip, genuinely excited those first 3 months

I like Craig it never worked at Hearts for him I'm glad he is away from Hearts completely but I wouldn't go round saying I hate the man you see on facebook and the slagging he gets. At the end of the day he is a Jambo. I liked the fact he stood his ground when it came to the media or the old firm pish he wasn't scared to say what he thinks where other managers maybe shut up. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I doubt if he’s given the club a penny, is his name of the FoH jersey for example? PHM my arse. 

2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Given that Robbo was a sub in 98, Locke was club captain and lifted the trophy, and Locke was assistant manager in 2012, and Robbo walked round Hampden with the cup as part of the pre match build-up, that's probably a pretty safe bet tbh.

😂

Pretty much answers that question !

Heart of Darkness
4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

He was in the Green Tree pub after we beat Rangers in the final!!

Drunk, Dancing & Singing.... like everyone else TBF!! 🤣🤣

Unknown user
3 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Given that Robbo was a sub in 98, Locke was club captain and ripped the trophy out of Baggio's hands, and Locke was assistant manager in 2012, and Robbo walked round Hampden with the cup as part of the pre match build-up, that's probably a pretty safe bet tbh.

ftfy

23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

ftfy

Ach, a minor indiscretion compared to the far more heinous crime of still sporting a curtains hair style in 1998. 

4 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Ach, a minor indiscretion compared to the far more heinous crime of still sporting a curtains hair style in 1998. 

Mate of mine had the curtains until '03.

True story.

Guest ToqueJambo
20 hours ago, martoon said:

Aye.

Any delusional, pig headed, egotistical, money grabbing charlatan with a sucker of a boss would do the same.

No one who loved Heart of Midlothian would, however.

Behave. Pig-headed is the only one that seems to fit Levein. The rest is nonsense. Name one footballer or manager who gives up playing or managing voluntarily at exactly the right time? People who get to the top in the game, which Levein did, have self-belief. There's no doubt Levein genuinely believed he could turn things around and really wanted to.

On 06/06/2021 at 20:14, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

that was levein post-injury putting in a levein pre-injury performance - absolutely strolling it in a World Cup finals

big davie was alongside and flicked-on for the first goal 

What a great memory that is.  1 well remember MacPherson whipping the ball up the right wing with precision and levein was a colossal, colossus.  So confident and classy.

I judge him as one of our best ever 

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Behave. Pig-headed is the only one that seems to fit Levein. The rest is nonsense. Name one footballer or manager who gives up playing or managing voluntarily at exactly the right time? People who get to the top in the game, which Levein did, have self-belief. There's no doubt Levein genuinely believed he could turn things around and really wanted to.

🔥

Pit it oot.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

What a great memory that is.  1 well remember MacPherson whipping the ball up the right wing with precision and levein was a colossal, colossus.  So confident and classy.

I judge him as one of our best ever 

i think only hearts had more than 1 player in that starting 11

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Anyone been "reekin in Brechin"?

No but I once went to Buckie hoping for a...

... relaxing weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
JamboAndrew
On 08/06/2021 at 11:34, fancy a brew said:

No but I once went to Buckie hoping for a...

... relaxing weekend.

I grew up beside Buckie. They don't do relaxing weekends there.

drumie jambo

In 2012 Robbo was part of a Sportsound programme that was live from the Roseburn Stand in the lead up to the final along with an ex vermin player. Me and the laddie were there there as was the Scottish Cup trophy itself. 

There was a photoshoot whereby both ex players were asked to touch the cup and Robbo refused saying bad luck/omens and  all that. The Hobo did and the rest is history as they say.

Saint Jambo
21 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

have Brechin got someone spewing money into them ? serious question 

They've certainly got a new local businessman as chairman. Presumably putting at least some money in.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2274847/new-brechin-city-chairman-kevin-mackie-ambitious-plans/

Levein is working for free. Kirk may see it as an opportunity to make a name for himself in the same way Barry Ferguson has done, so may have been willing to take a fairly low salary too. Interesting to see what kind of players they can attract.

3 hours ago, drumie jambo said:

In 2012 Robbo was part of a Sportsound programme that was live from the Roseburn Stand in the lead up to the final along with an ex vermin player. Me and the laddie were there there as was the Scottish Cup trophy itself. 

There was a photoshoot whereby both ex players were asked to touch the cup and Robbo refused saying bad luck/omens and  all that. The Hobo did and the rest is history as they say.

I remember listening to that.

Hearts fans were predicting a win, many by a 4/5 goal landslide, and Chick Young was astonished at the "arrogance" of Jambos.

He's always had his finger on the pulse of Edinburgh fitba'. 😁

Mr Brightside
On 07/06/2021 at 08:51, Auldbenches said:

Story I heard about Levein and the 2012 final. As he was an SFA employee at the time he had comps for both ends, he gave the hearts ones to friends without tickets and ripped up the Hibs ones saying well that’s a couple less of they **** attending.

Source was a relative of Levein’s coaching team.

9 hours ago, cookieboy said:

have Brechin got someone spewing money into them ? serious question 

They have members of their board with some wealthy pals, now that the old board has gone some are more willing to invest.

27 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Story I heard about Levein and the 2012 final. As he was an SFA employee at the time he had comps for both ends, he gave the hearts ones to friends without tickets and ripped up the Hibs ones saying well that’s a couple less of they **** attending.

Source was a relative of Levein’s coaching team.

He was definitely at 2006 as he was sitting behind me-it was in hospitality so don't know if he paid for that mind you.

On 07/06/2021 at 08:56, Auldbenches said:

Well, when he was Scotland manager, him and his mate got into Tynie free and didn't even have the politeness to stay to the end. They always bailed half way through the second half. PHM?

sandylejambo

Levein also backed Robinson when he was trying to sell Tynecastle to Cala, and like Neilson Fd 0££ first time an English club lifted their skirt. So to me he will never be a PHM

spirt of 98
On 04/06/2021 at 16:38, pointon said:

Dave McPherson,Alan McLaren ,David Weir and Steven Pressley done more for our club 

than this chancer ever did

Take it you forgot about the Europa Cup run?… wait he left us for Leicester during that! 

Unknown user
21 hours ago, jambali said:

Well, when he was Scotland manager, him and his mate got into Tynie free and didn't even have the politeness to stay to the end. They always bailed half way through the second half. PHM?

Lol mate he was the Scotland manager. They get in free, they're checking on players and they often leave early to avoid crowds.

What's next?

"And he didn't even use a soup spoon grrr"  

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Lol mate he was the Scotland manager. They get in free, they're checking on players and they often leave early to avoid crowds.

What's next?

"And he didn't even use a soup spoon grrr"  

Used the toilet and didn’t flush. 

And come on who doesn’t love a freebie?? 

On 07/06/2021 at 19:10, martoon said:

Mate of mine had the curtains until '03.

True story.

Guy that runs our over 50's team still has them...in fact "Curtains"  is his nickname

On 28/06/2021 at 07:19, dumpson said:

They have members of their board with some wealthy pals, now that the old board has gone some are more willing to invest.

cheers 

1 hour ago, moonraker said:

Guy that runs our over 50's team still has them...in fact "Curtains"  is his nickname

Noticed today that the England goalie has them. 😄

On 28/06/2021 at 11:12, jambali said:

Hard to believe there are still the usual suspects on here defending him and what he did to our Club - the same ones who were telling us when the team was on the downward slide “but, but, look at the fantastic job he has done with the academy!” 😏

12 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Hard to believe there are still the usual suspects on here defending him and what he did to our Club - the same ones who were telling us when the team was on the downward slide “but, but, look at the fantastic job he has done with the academy!” 😏

He set the club back years and cost us a small fortune in the process.

Ainsley Harriott
On 07/06/2021 at 00:15, jambostuart said:

Hi Craig