Coca Cola Cup FInal 1996 - Evening News

GlasgoJambo

On 02/06/2021 at 23:53, GlasgoJambo said:

IMG_0038-nu.gif

Comparing those line ups I'd say the difference was Gascoigne and Laudrop. I read in Danny Baker's bio that Gazza had a large whisky before the game and another couple at half-time.

2 desperate saves from Goram the difference in the end.  BBC didnt appear to keen to show the sideline incident which led to Rangers 3rd goal.  Also wonder if Hearts refused interviews after the game.

On the other hand, a Hearts player, think it was Mackay, very lucky not to get a straight red imo around the 20 minute mark for a dreadful high challenge.

20 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Neil McCann’s performance is in the top 5 best individual performances in my lifetime. It may even be the best

Spot on - utterly destroyed the Rangers right back (and various others) that day. Gascoigne was outrageous in the second half too.

Francis Albert
On 03/06/2021 at 00:08, Jambo-Fox said:

I remember it well!

It was the first time I genuinely got excited at a Hearts Cup Final!

After being at the SC Finals in ‘68, ‘76, ‘86 & ‘96 just to see John Robertson’s equaliser was pure joy!

It was a long day (was out the previous evening at a party in the Midlands), up early for flight from Luton, massive delay due to snow, got taxi direct from Glasgow Airport to Celtic park, missed first 7 minutes.

Flight back massive delay, picked wife and kids up in north London after midnight to head back to Swansea. Got as far as Membury, eyes gave up (couldn’t keep them open!) and my wife had to drive the rest of the way!

Just another trip that contributed to making the 1998 Cup Final the best game ever!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Same here. But as I walked away from Parkhead  for the first time really I realised that I might never see Hearts lift a trophy. As you say it made 1998 even sweeter.

A couple of memories. Two guys behind the goal who theatrically walked out  when Rangers got their second. And Richard Gough applauding the Hearts fans at the end.

And of course possibly the best individual performance I have seen by any Hearts player.

Edit ... In fact drop the possibly.

Edited by Francis Albert

Seymour M Hersh
On 03/06/2021 at 18:45, kingantti1874 said:

Neil McCann’s performance is in the top 5 best individual performances in my lifetime. It may even be the best

He was unplayable that day. Absolutely magnificent and probably the reason these twats knicked  him from us.  Am I wrong in thinking their winning goal came from a throw in Gascoigne took that was actually our throw in? 

I've waxed lyrical over Kante's performance and within a couple of weeks I've now seem McCanns.  Different roles and positions of course but I rank them as equal.

What a treat that video was.  JJ despite his disappointment and frustration, could be extremely proud.

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

2 desperate saves from Goram the difference in the end.  BBC didnt appear to keen to show the sideline incident which led to Rangers 3rd goal.  Also wonder if Hearts refused interviews after the game.

On the other hand, a Hearts player, think it was Mackay, very lucky not to get a straight red imo around the 20 minute mark for a dreadful high challenge.

No coincidence that we finally won cup after Mackay left. He was always a weak link on the big games and consistently disappointed with his performances.

We would never have won in 98 with him in midfield.

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No coincidence that we finally won cup after Mackay left. He was always a weak link on the big games and consistently disappointed with his performances.

As has been said some thought in his early years his first name was "forf***sake"

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Didnt want post anything negative but it is also my opinion that he was very much the weak link.

Hearts_fan

The strip that day was legendary. What was the story behind that? I never found out. Such a deep shade of maroon, so good. Best strip I've ever seen us wear.

Hearts_fan
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

He was unplayable that day. Absolutely magnificent and probably the reason these twats knicked  him from us.  Am I wrong in thinking their winning goal came from a throw in Gascoigne took that was actually our throw in? 

Their third came from that, either a throw-in to us or a free-kick as Robbo was illegally barged off the pitch if I remember correctly. 

Hectormasson
8 hours ago, Hibs Nil said:

Spot on - utterly destroyed the Rangers right back (and various others) that day. Gascoigne was outrageous in the second half too.

He was fantastic that day......

I never followed the details of the old rangers disgrace.  Wouldn't know an ebit if I fell over it but were they cheating the taxpayer that far back.

Not interested in the minutia of it all and don't want to be mistaken for Kevin Moffat but would be interested to know if this victory was tainted.

23 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Well Skippy.  What a treat that was.  I could write volumes about what I saw but will restrict it to asking if any Hearts player has ever put in a better performance than McCann.  Mesmorising.

Big Davie against Rangers when we beat them 4-2 at Tynecastle must be close. Or it's just a few minutes and I'm remembering differently. :D

Watched it in the pub, surrounded by Rangers fans. Up, mair up, then down and aa feck, then GIRFUYs. 

What a night!

:cheers:

Edited by ri Alban

Samuel Camazzola
On 02/06/2021 at 23:53, GlasgoJambo said:

IMG_0038-nu.gif

Craig Moore's rating a tad Kind. Between McCann and Del Piero, he must still have nightmares. 

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

The strip that day was legendary. What was the story behind that? I never found out. Such a deep shade of maroon, so good. Best strip I've ever seen us wear.

It was worn a few months before v Red Star Belgrade. 👍