Suso Santana

martoon

The wee fella has retired. Gave 100%, clearly loved his time at the club and that Cup final performance...

All the best for the future, Suso.

futbol-william-hill-final-de-la-copa-escocesa-el-hibernian-v-heart-of-midlothian-hampden-park-g579rb.thumb.jpg.853527f08fc5998b6dc33e2023ca3721.jpg

42524545_E2vzDxiWEAMlNIf(1).jpg.a3754b26758ef385b7374dc79a491d8f.jpg

suso-santana-image-2-713933708.jpg.213451048e51edeab28e125d721ccb26.jpg

107062635_CDTenerifevGetafeLaLiga2whKsDwDm7xsl.jpg.9629b8fb42bc4e4ac29a728c9ed22392.jpg

Edited by martoon

Winger extrordinaire.   Super Suso Santana.   All the best  to him in his retirement from getting kicked legally. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Top man, legend. Wish him a happy retirement and all the best. Stone wall penalty. 

Great player, absolutely loved him. 

He still managed to get some stick on here by some of the Spanish Waiter brigade :vrface:

No bad for a Spanish waiter 🤭

Happy retirement Suso. Hopefully we'll get a halftime appearance one day.

Played exactly how a Hearts winger should

Narrow pitch? He didn't need space to dribble into

On the back foot? he'd drive us back up the pitch

Getting kicked to bits? Never made him shy away

Aggressive, quick, tricky and brave. Happy retirement Suso Santana

Had a wee look at CD Tenerife's history and their Canary Island derby v. Las Palmas (Gran Canaria) is a pretty big deal. 

Attendances range from 17-20k and two games since Suso returned to CD attracted c30k.

Been to both islands a few times but knew very little about their clubs. Only really knew about Tenerife after their major roles in the last day La Liga deciders in 1992 and 93.

Never got the chance to see him in Tenerife unfortunately,  all the best to him though in his retirement. Hopefully see him at Tynecastle in the not to distant future. 

One of those players that when he got the ball there was an excitement and expectation. Juanjo was the same. Have a great life Suso, thanks for the memories!

The Apprentice

I remember going to the pre-season open training day the summer he signed and he clattered someone during a possession game (I’m sure it was Lee Wallace) :lol: Straight away you could see he wasn’t shy to get stuck in.

Didn’t score an awful lot but did manage one against each of the OF and in derbies home and away. Very unlucky not to get one in the cup final too. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Happy retirement Suso and thanks for one of my favourite ever derby goals 

Swashbuckling. Summed him up as a player, absolute 0 respect for Hibernian FC 

11 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

I remember going to the pre-season open training day the summer he signed and he clattered someone during a possession game (I’m sure it was Lee Wallace) :lol: Straight away you could see he wasn’t shy to get stuck in.

Didn’t score an awful lot but did manage one against each of the OF and in derbies home and away. Very unlucky not to get one in the cup final too. 

I was behind the goal and thought he'd square it. Seemed too tight an angle and thought it would go wide but, at least, eat up a little more time. 

Wrong on both counts, happily.

Sorry, bud. The reply was intended for @A Shoreditch Heart.

Edited by martoon

What a first touch that was from Beattie too.

All the best to Suso. Cup winning legend and angry wee man

Auldbenches
15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

What a first touch that was from Beattie too.

All the best to Suso. Cup winning legend and angry wee man

Through the legs of the goalie makes it even sweeter.  Two excellent goals.  Can't wait to play them this season.  

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I was behind the goal and thought he'd square it. Seemed too tight an angle and thought it would go wide but, at least, eat up a little more time. 

Wrong on both counts, happily.

Sorry, bud. The reply was intended for @A Shoreditch Heart.

I had a great angle of his goal v H1b5.  Had my son with me ,who was only 9 at the time, and we were in the enclosure. 

I think the tv angle doesn’t do it justice compared to seeing it in the flesh.

You could see the panic across Hibs defence as he did his step over then struck that lovely measured shot to the back stick.  He ran over in our direction when celebrating and my laddie was that ecstatic he thought he was coming over to him and had his arms out waiting on the embrace  😆

32 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I had a great angle of his goal v H1b5.  Had my son with me ,who was only 9 at the time, and we were in the enclosure. 

I think the tv angle doesn’t do it justice compared to seeing it in the flesh.

You could see the panic across Hibs defence as he did his step over then struck that lovely measured shot to the back stick.  He ran over in our direction when celebrating and my laddie was that ecstatic he thought he was coming over to him and had his arms out waiting on the embrace  😆

😊

I remember being shocked when it nestled in at the back post.

Happy, too, that the derbies were done for the season and we'd won them all.

We had no idea the biggest and best was still to come.

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Great player, absolutely loved him. 

He still managed to get some stick on here by some of the Spanish Waiter brigade :vrface:

tenor.gif?itemid=9682982

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

Happy retirement, wee man. 

Toronto Jambo

Wish we still had players with his commitment. Congratulations to him on his retirement

3 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Happier times

Still think there should be a statue of Suso, shirt pulled out at the back and his heel clipped by Kujabi, on the plaza. 

Either have a line under Suso indicating he was just inside the box or, better still, have the line over the road at the school. 

Either way, a great wind up for the visiting Hibby.

9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Welcome in Gorgie anytime.

If he comes on to the pitch it has to be with his shirt being pulled. 😆

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Still think there should be a statue of Suso, shirt pulled out at the back and his heel clipped by Kujabi, on the plaza. 

Either have a line under Suso indicating he was just inside the box or, better still, have the line over the road at the school. 

Either way, a great wind up for the visiting Hibby.

:rofl:

This, please.  :yas:

lost in space

He wouldn't fit in now.

Always wanted the ball/ always looking to go forward/ not willing to be pushed off the ball/ wasn't good at back passing/ hated to lose.

Probably couldn't take instructions from an ipad diagram.

Dinosaur.

Good luck Suso.  

Savage Vince
28 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

There is a thread about Suzo on KB from 2010 and there aren't many good words about him on it. Funny how times change, innit? 

Bit like the Ryan Stevenson thread? 😊

Both were great for us. One is a cult hero, the other a Legend. 

upgotheheads

Great player, great personality, honest and gave everything.  Enjoy your retirement Suso.

Edited by upgotheheads

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Yeah, thats the one i was skim reading earlier. Not much love for him then! 

Also, not many familiar names commenting on the thread. Do we have to change user name every so often? 😂😂

I mean, it’s a thread from (I think a derby loss?) 2 years before his virtuoso performances against Hibs in 2011-2012? Not sure the relevance mate just seems a typical Hearts reaction to losing to that mob. Players get pelters.  

Suso never had the best start in maroon, looked pretty lost for a whole year tbh. I thought he would leave. But his best days unquestionably were under Paolo Sergio, what he went on to do is up there with the top 10 foreign players to play for the club. Rudi, Adam - you could be well justified putting Susos name in there for what he done to Hibs at Hampden when he done Pa Kujabi up like a kipper with the game in the balance Hibs having just got it back to 2-1. Who knows, without that action from Suso and Pa’s absolutely pathetic attempt to stop him, to put us back in the driving seat, Hibs could have held out hope to get that game back to 2-2. Every player on the pitch that day played his part and is unequivocally a legend of this football club, Susos fearless play right after half time and Graingers cool penalty set the tone for the second half and put Hearts right back in the driving seat as we went on to thump Hibs in the most legendary game in the history of either club. 

Ask a Hibs fan which Hearts 5-1 player they hated on the day the most and a big chunk of them would say Suso. Which says it all for me. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I mean, it’s a thread from (I think a derby loss?) 2 years before his virtuoso performances against Hibs in 2011-2012? Not sure the relevance mate just seems a typical Hearts reaction to losing to that mob. Players get pelters.  

This

can only imagine the sort of threads popping up in regards to Ian Black or Darren Barr in 2010, even Zal got pelters from a few. 

On 19/05/12 that was all made irrelevant 

hmfc_liam06
16 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Remember screaming like mad at him to keep it in the corner...glad he didn't!

Anyone with a half decent brain could see Suso was a decent player. The pelters he got on here are the main reason I ignore threads about players being shite. 

Can't believe anyone that's HEARTS doesn't think the guy is a LEGEND!

#

Enjoy your retirement Suso and welcome back anytime.  Mind and bring PK in your pocket😀

Doctor FinnBarr

I've watched him a fair few times over the last 3/4 seasons whilst on holiday, club I travel with from Las Americas (Armada Sur-South Army) presented him with a plaque  stating "heroes are remembered, legends never die". He's promised to travel to the South to buy everyone a beer as a thanks but I'm pretty certain Armada Sur has a membership of over 200 so he could be stuffed if everyone turns up.

ToadKiller Dog

Haha glad my comments from way back were pretty fair .

Suso once he channeled his frustrations became a gem for us .

Defo one to get back for he half time on derby day .