Stevo knows the score

Clerry Jambo

Should get Stevo in the changing rooms before every match and let the players know what it means is play for our magnificent club.

11 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Should get Stevo in the changing rooms before every match and let the players know what it means is play for our magnificent club.

There is still a place for this even in today's passive society...maybe not before the game as that could undermine the coaching staff, but about the place...you could argue Locke is there or there abouts, maybe again that isn't the approach Bob wants....anyway one thing for sure, when Stevo speaks Hearts, it strikes a chord with us....which is great, let's be honest, as we have lost that over a number of years...

#StevoIn

🙃

Leveins Battalion

Everybody says they know the problems at Hearts,Fans,Ex Players,Ex Coaches,Pundits,Journalists.

Everybody and their Mum.

Talk is cheap though,RN only has 1 window to sort this out,show signs of progress,or the knifes will be out.Also Joe Savage has to show he can source and sign quality,if fans are allowed back in they will know all about pressure IMO.

He doesn't say anything that we the fans are not saying.  Journalistic opinion is easy.

A_A wehatethehibs

Stevo is a good lad but to be honest I do take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt. 

Yes he is a well liked Hearts man, and holding the clubs feet to the fire rightly. 

But always you’ve got to remember how easy a job it is to snipe from the sidelines as a pundit compared to how hard the job is to actually “get the right players in”. The definition of easier said than done.

Always remember:

Pundit = easy, simple job

Manager = hard, complicated job

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Stevo is a good lad but to be honest I do take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt. 

Yes he is a well liked Hearts man, and holding the clubs feet to the fire rightly. 

But always you’ve got to remember how easy a job it is to snipe from the sidelines as a pundit compared to how hard the job is to actually “get the right players in”. The definition of easier said than done.

Always remember:

Agreed, manager unfortunately just not up to it.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Agreed, manager unfortunately just not up to it.

We’ll see. For me, there’s some reasons to doubt that negativity. I am delighted we have now emptied basically the entire relegation squad. That particular “squad overhaul” was absolutely spot on and definitely required. That squads not been overhauled it’s been emptied. So now we’ll see what the new squad looks like.

Hes spot on. How many transfer windows now have we had to panic buy almost a whole squad due to absolutely horrendous recruitment. Our player turn over is absolutely incredible! Praying Joe Savage will make a big difference in this department he seems to know what he's doing and have good connections. Hopefully we will never see another loric damour ever again.

39 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Always remember:

That’s just football though and always will be.  We are on here everyday(well, not everyone 😁) praising, moaning, criticising, giving general opinions. 

One day you can be that manager scoffing at your critics under your breath that , next day you’re out a job and being the very pundit you moaned about.  

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

The club shouldn't need to get Stevo in to explain Hearts to the players brought in. Stevo learned the story of Hearts and what was expected of him from the then first team coach, Jim Jefferies. We have a coach who should be laying down what is required of every player coming to the club these days, there should be no need to turn to former players who understood what playing for Hearts was all about, the players who have been signed in more recent years should know before a contract has even been signed never mind before they go on the park to play every week.

Robbo-Jambo

If only our current management team could speak with the same passion and desire about playing for our club and appreciate how the fans are feeling just now and what they deserve. 

Neilson played for the club a lot longer than Stevenson so he should know what the standards are. 

He just doesn't come across that way and to me it shows he badly lacks in motivational skills. 

As for the fans, all he did towards the end of the season was antagonise them with stupid comments and excuses. 

He is a very lucky guy to still be in the job with so many inept performances last season culminating In the results at Brora and Alloa. 

David McCaig
8 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

If only our current management team could speak with the same passion and desire about playing for our club and appreciate how the fans are feeling just now and what they deserve. 

Neilson played for the club a lot longer than Stevenson so he should know what the standards are. 

He just doesn't come across that way and to me it shows he badly lacks in motivational skills. 

As for the fans, all he did towards the end of the season was antagonise them with stupid comments and excuses. 

He is a very lucky guy to still be in the job with so many inept performances last season culminating In the results at Brora and Alloa. 

We should never forget the Alloa and Brora matches with the latter in particular warranting sacking on the spot.

However, he wasn't sacked, he's still here and ultimately did address the issues highlighted to finish the season strongly which is to Robbie's credit.

If I'm being pedantic the season culminated in the return of Souttar and Haring, a switch to a back 3, 5 clean sheets in a row, GMS magically morphing into a football player and a 6-0, 3-0 and 4-0 from the last 4 games of the season.

Turkishcap

Fully agree but then we all know this so really not saying anything new.

No harm I suppose in hammering the message home.

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Stevo is talking through his experience playing for Hearts and now watching our games. His accessment is bang on the money and if you know anything about Hearts or how football should be played you would agree with his honest article that Clerry Jambo has posted for us JKBers to read.

2 hours ago, Bainy said:

Hes spot on. How many transfer windows now have we had to panic buy almost a whole squad due to absolutely horrendous recruitment. Our player turn over is absolutely incredible! Praying Joe Savage will make a big difference in this department he seems to know what he's doing and have good connections. Hopefully we will never see another loric damour ever again.

To be fare we have hardly seen the current loric damour!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Spot on. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Turkishcap said:

Fully agree but then we all know this so really not saying anything new.

No harm I suppose in hammering the message home.

Does the manager though? If he does is he imparting this information to the players? He said the other day we might need to wait until players don’t get the offers they think they will

and then come to us? Does that tie in with what Stevo has said in this article?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Does the manager though? If he does is he imparting this information to the players? He said the other day we might need to wait until players don’t get the offers they think they will

and then come to us? Does that tie in with what Stevo has said in this article?

Did he actually say that ? 

So in the minds of these players they are only at Hearts because they can't get anything better. 

No wonder we end up with all the slackers and "wage feefs" 🙄

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He wouldnt be surprised to see Kingsley, GMS, Souttar or Naismith released or am I missing something? I get the point but not very well thought through or even more likely a shite edit to get us talking.

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Actually agree with this.

My feeling for quite some time is that our "coaching" is overthought and contrived.  I think we've had a succession of managers and coaches who had ideas above their station and have overlooked good old motivation.

Recruit well, get the team wound up and raring to go.  Yes, harder than it sounds and, yes, a lot more to coaching and getting a succesful team on the park.  But we've gone far too far the other way.  Recruit projects, overthink tactics, fill the players heads with instructions and remove their freedom to play.

I just want to see us come out the traps, no matter who we are playing, and look to dominate.  Win every tackle, be first to every loose ball, don't give them a second and when we get the ball, be direct and try to always move forward.

We play zonally on and off the ball.  All about control.  Bullshit if you ask me.

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

He wouldnt be surprised to see Kingsley, GMS, Souttar or Naismith released or am I missing something? I get the point but not very well thought through or even more likely a shite edit to get us talking.

Correct again.  You and Craigie are never wrong. 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

My feeling for quite some time is that our "coaching" is overthought and contrived.  I think we've had a succession of managers and coaches who had ideas above their station and have overlooked good old motivation.

Recruit well, get the team wound up and raring to go.  Yes, harder than it sounds and, yes, a lot more to coaching and getting a succesful team on the park.  But we've gone far too far the other way.  Recruit projects, overthink tactics, fill the players heads with instructions and remove their freedom to play.

I just want to see us come out the traps, no matter who we are playing, and look to dominate.  Win every tackle, be first to every loose ball, don't give them a second and when we get the ball, be direct and try to always move forward.

We play zonally on and off the ball.  All about control.  Bullshit if you ask me.

I'd like to agree, but just how motivated is the modern day player? You just cant beat with them the stick any longer, mores the pity. I'm with the sentiment though, takes a good team to beat 11 triers, thats never changed, finding 11 triers these days, just so difficult

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I was about to type out a similar post but, you've saved me the trouble. 

One point i would pick out (and i've said it for a few seasons now) is that "zonal" play......it does my nut in! All players should have freedom of expression or else they get frustrated, lose interest, pass the buck to someone else in the team and end up just going through the motions. It's why they are involved in football in the first place. We have seen dozens of players arrive at Tynecastle, start off looking very decent and then becoming as "meh" as others have. One leaves, another comes in, does the same and the pattern continues.  Nothing better as a fan than watching a player take it upon himself to make something happen and get behind him. I remember Dave McPherson being that type, picked the ball up and just drove forward and forward until he either set up a chance or got fouled. Fans love that. It's a fairly simple game after-all. It doesn't need complications or overthought. 

18 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I was about to type out a similar post but, you've saved me the trouble. 

One point i would pick out (and i've said it for a few seasons now) is that "zonal" play......it does my nut in! All players should have freedom of expression or else they get frustrated, lose interest, pass the buck to someone else in the team and end up just going through the motions. It's why they are involved in football in the first place. We have seen dozens of players arrive at Tynecastle, start off looking very decent and then becoming as "meh" as others have. One leaves, another comes in, does the same and the pattern continues.  Nothing better as a fan than watching a player take it upon himself to make something happen and get behind him. I remember Dave McPherson being that type, picked the ball up and just drove forward and forward until he either set up a chance or got fouled. Fans love that. It's a fairly simple game after-all. It doesn't need complications or overthought. 

I assume you saw the CL final.  In your opinion, what's the difference between the predictability of the zonal play you describe and the way Chelsea played?

For me, Chelsea were extremely sharp and had the advantage of having an outstanding player in Kante.  They weren't prepared to just knock the ball around.  It was a treat to watch.  Man City were pedestrian by comparison.

8 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Totally agree.  Just look at what St Johnstone have achieved.  It' not rocket science.

16 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Still cares deeply and is not afraid to call it as he sees it. 

I love him and his honesty. 

Spot on Des! 👍

tartofmidlothian
18 hours ago, David McCaig said:

We should never forget the Alloa and Brora matches with the latter in particular warranting sacking on the spot.

However, he wasn't sacked, he's still here and ultimately did address the issues highlighted to finish the season strongly which is to Robbie's credit.

If I'm being pedantic the season culminated in the return of Souttar and Haring, a switch to a back 3, 5 clean sheets in a row, GMS magically morphing into a football player and a 6-0, 3-0 and 4-0 from the last 4 games of the season.

Spot on. On our last month's form we can challenge anyone. 

18 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I assume you saw the CL final.  In your opinion, what's the difference between the predictability of the zonal play you describe and the way Chelsea played?

For me, Chelsea were extremely sharp and had the advantage of having an outstanding player in Kante.  They weren't prepared to just knock the ball around.  It was a treat to watch.  Man City were pedestrian by comparison.

Sorry, i can't comment on that game unfortunately as i don't watch CL football, haven't for well over 15 years or more. I have no interest in a competition that have their small group of "favourite clubs" and has partly helped to basically kill any chances of clubs like Hearts from ever competing in Europe properly ever again. (bring back the European Cup, Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Cup please!) Didn't even know these two were in a Final until someone mentioned it last week. Another reason i don't watch CL is it's for armchair fans who (ahem!) "support" these types of teams, are gullible, and drawn into the tv hype for these companies to get rich, at the viewers expense. It's highly doubtful that the majority of these "fans" have even seen them live in their stadium. Fake fans for want of a better expression i suppose. The types that wander about streets in those clubs tops, putting money into these already rich clubs and not putting money into their local team or even caring about them. 

So, i'm afraid i'll have to go with your judgement/knowledge on that game Kd. Sorry.

24 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Sorry, i can't comment on that game unfortunately as i don't watch CL football, haven't for well over 15 years or more. I have no interest in a competition that have their small group of "favourite clubs" and has partly helped to basically kill any chances of clubs like Hearts from ever competing in Europe properly ever again. (bring back the European Cup, Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Cup please!) Didn't even know these two were in a Final until someone mentioned it last week. Another reason i don't watch CL is it's for armchair fans who (ahem!) "support" these types of teams, are gullible, and drawn into the tv hype for these companies to get rich, at the viewers expense. It's highly doubtful that the majority of these "fans" have even seen them live in their stadium. Fake fans for want of a better expression i suppose. The types that wander about streets in those clubs tops, putting money into these already rich clubs and not putting money into their local team or even caring about them. 

So, i'm afraid i'll have to go with your judgement/knowledge on that game Kd. Sorry.

excellent!  Similar here.  I do watch the final most years but only because my mates have a tradition going back to mid 90s we meet every year for the final.  I generally barely look at the screen!

I think the analogy may have been that Chelsea played a block zonal defence so we can't moan if we do?  May be wrong there.

There is nothing wrong with playing football zonally.  Lot's of clubs do it.  Our issue is very much that we don't do it well.  It doesn't suit us one bit.  Our other issue - the main one - is we do it ON THE BALL.  Players play in 20/30 yard blocks.  How often do our fullbacks batter past the winger.  How often do our midfielders get in the box?  It's easy and slow and all, one gets the impression, designed to "control" the game.  Problem is we very rarely work the opposition goalkeeper.  It all smacks of an attempt at a modern approach which yes Thomas Tuchel may be very good at, but our coaches aren't and we don't have the players (nor very importantly the opposition!!) to pull off.

Hearts should match our stadium.  In your face, imposing football.

Calling what we do zonal is a bit confusing - I use it not to say that's our tactical approach as such, more to try to explain how limited by our own tactics our players appear to be.

Yes, when i say "zonal" i mean that a player will collect the ball, move around 20 yards or whatever and if there's no pass on they will relinquish responsibility of the ball and pass it on to someone else in the team to do something. If that doesn't work out it's passed across the back, maybe a touch from midfield then back to where it started. It's a lack of movement that the opposition are happy with. It must be quite an easy team-talk for the opposition manager...."stay tight at the back, keep them switching the ball and if there's a slip/bad pass, be close enough to intercept the ball and get moving. They'll just defend until they get the ball back and they'll start the same moves all over again until they lose possession"

I hate watching teams that move quickly when they have possession as deep down i know that that's what we should be doing. It frustrates the fans and surely must frustrate the players as well if they are told to play a containment game.

On 02/06/2021 at 09:43, Robbo-Jambo said:

Met a guy earlier this morning who works for Hearts on football side behind scenes but close enough to what goes on, he asked if I was renewing, told him I thought Neilson was an issue, he looked astonished as if "Robbie" was the messiah, really he said, then we moved on to another topic in case we fell out, as it was awkward.

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Met a guy earlier this morning who works for Hearts on football side behind scenes but close enough to what goes on, he asked if I was renewing, told him I thought Neilson was an issue, he looked astonished as if "Robbie" was the messiah, really he said, then we moved on to another topic in case we fell out, as it was awkward.

The guy obviously has never been on JKB then if he thinks Robbie is a Messiah in the eyes of the fans 😅