***Non-Hearts Summer 2021 Transfer Thread***

tartofmidlothian

13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I actually don't like the way Hibs seem to want to sell their best players as soon as they're doing well. I'd honestly prefer to get a good 3 years out of a young player like Doig then get a development fee than get 1 year and 1 or 2 million. Silly money is obviously hard to turn down but the question is how that money gets used. We got a million for Sow for example but I'd rather have kept him than got the money the way things turned out. We got not much money for Paterson but we did get to see him for longer and he was a great player for us. Same for the likes of Driver, Walker and others who we turned down offers for. Going back to their "golden generation" Hibs seem to want to sell their best young players as quickly as possible. They sold Mowbray's young team off in one go practically.

Obviously the transfer market has changed but for me the best outcome is Gary Naysmith. We got nearly 100 games out of him and he was much better at a younger age than Doig is now. Then we still got a decent fee when he left and he got his move to a bigger club and league and pushed on. Not sure if that's possible now as players have more power, but I would rather have seen Naysmith for those 3-4 years than seen him for one season but got more money for him.

Hibs (and other clubs) need the money, now. 

Some good opportunities as a result. 

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboinglasgow

• Last Laff

• Mikey1874

• milky_26

11 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

There are NO bids for Doig.

It is Mathie and Ross attempting to try and kick up some interest and secure funds,Hibs needs fans back in the stadiums asap........:greggy:

Doig gradually moving towards a career at Dunfermline and Falkirk would be pleasing. 

13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I actually don't like the way Hibs seem to want to sell their best players as soon as they're doing well. I'd honestly prefer to get a good 3 years out of a young player like Doig then get a development fee than get 1 year and 1 or 2 million. Silly money is obviously hard to turn down but the question is how that money gets used. We got a million for Sow for example but I'd rather have kept him than got the money the way things turned out. We got not much money for Paterson but we did get to see him for longer and he was a great player for us. Same for the likes of Driver, Walker and others who we turned down offers for. Going back to their "golden generation" Hibs seem to want to sell their best young players as quickly as possible. They sold Mowbray's young team off in one go practically.

Obviously the transfer market has changed but for me the best outcome is Gary Naysmith. We got nearly 100 games out of him and he was much better at a younger age than Doig is now. Then we still got a decent fee when he left and he got his move to a bigger club and league and pushed on. Not sure if that's possible now as players have more power, but I would rather have seen Naysmith for those 3-4 years than seen him for one season but got more money for him.

Take your point but the Doig/Hibs thing is an exceptional case.

I'm sure the lad has some ability but, for some inexplicable reason, hype has taken over.

£750k max with a sell on, I could understand, but funny money seems to be in the pipeline and, if so, they'd be nuts not to cash in before reality shows up. Chances are he'll be worth about £50k a year from now. Time, or rather timing, is of the essence.

We were offered £3m for Driver a decade ago which Romanov stupidly refused. Ended up moving on for little or nothing, iirc.

I hope Hibs hold on to him and watch his value reduce by the week.  

Edit: just noticed you referenced Driver yourself.

Edited by martoon

26 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Spotted Andy Carroll in Falkirk. Signing for Celtic maybe?

Doubt it was Carroll a lot of unwashed long haired men floating about Falkirk. was probably some smack head up the howgate getting his fix. 

47 minutes ago, martoon said:

Take your point but the Doig/Hibs thing is an exceptional case.

I'm sure the lad has some ability but, for some inexplicable reason, hype has taken over.

£750k max with a sell on, I could understand, but funny money seems to be in the pipeline and, if so, they'd be nuts not to cash in before reality shows up. Chances are he'll be worth about £50k a year from now. Time, or rather timing, is of the essence.

We were offered £3m for Driver a decade ago which Romanov stupidly refused. Ended up moving on for little or nothing, iirc.

I hope Hibs hold on to him and watch his value reduce by the week.  

Edit: just noticed you referenced Driver yourself.

Hibs are accutely aware of this. Jack told the board both Doig and Porteous we're replaceable in January and to cash in.

They'd be mad not to capitalise on anything over a million for Doing and if they get £4m, even in installments or whatever, fair play you'd have to say.

From the relatively little I've seen of them all, I'd take both Kingsley and Cochrane over Doig and Hickey is unquestionably miles ahead of him.

We've seen it before though. Even with Porteous, that seems to have gone quiet. Wouldn't be surprised if it's as simple as scouts have now seen him play!

I really hope this Doig thing was all wind and pish from that lot. Even though EPL clubs are minted they’re surely not daft. A young Scottish player who has had a mediocre season (dropped for Stevenson a few times ffs) is now worth £4m? I think these sort of clubs will rely on their scouts to do their job rather than the Scottish meedja arseholes.

Jason Cummings anyone? Apparently he was the best finisher in the country and going to be Scotland’s no9 for years to come. Bound to be worth millions. Don’t even think they got £500k for the wee tit.

kingantti1874

I just don’t understand the doig stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do anything other than average. 

I do know we shouldn’t have released him though. A brain fart from levein that one

jamboinglasgow

One thing worth remembering with transfer fees, just because they say the transfer is £4m, doesn't mean Hibs will ultimately get £4m. These deals usually have a up front fee, so say £1.5m, then other fees over time like a further £1.5m over the next two seasons, and with young player it can be fees when they hit a certain number of games, say £500,000 when they play 30 first team league matches. Then you can other ones like a fee the club get promoted.

Will be the same with any players we sell.

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hibs are accutely aware of this. Jack told the board both Doig and Porteous we're replaceable in January and to cash in.

They'd be mad not to capitalise on anything over a million for Doing and if they get £4m, even in installments or whatever, fair play you'd have to say.

From the relatively little I've seen of them all, I'd take both Kingsley and Cochrane over Doig and Hickey is unquestionably miles ahead of him.

We've seen it before though. Even with Porteous, that seems to have gone quiet. Wouldn't be surprised if it's as simple as scouts have now seen him play!

Aye.

Hibs should cash in before that happens.

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One thing worth remembering with transfer fees, just because they say the transfer is £4m, doesn't mean Hibs will ultimately get £4m. These deals usually have a up front fee, so say £1.5m, then other fees over time like a further £1.5m over the next two seasons, and with young player it can be fees when they hit a certain number of games, say £500,000 when they play 30 first team league matches. Then you can other ones like a fee the club get promoted.

Makes sense for the buying club.

Offer big on the never, never but, in the end, the selling club rarely sees more, or much more, than the original, more modest first installment. 

Anyone paying £4/5m up front for Doig are nuts.

Be a bit like drooling over a beautifully wrapped and presented Christmas gift then finding socks inside.

Edited by martoon

Lone Striker
46 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yes.... but its still an attractive proposition for the selling club so long as they can agree a payment schedule & conditions with the buying club.   Do that for 2 or 3 players that another club want to buy, and you've got a useful income stream for few years.  Even better if the buying  club agrees to a sell-on clause too.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Haha. The "Big Name Players Who Came To The OF From England And Flopped XI" could get a few new recruits the way Celtic are going.

Hart will be a good bet for taking the goalie shirt in that team and joining Keane, Barton, Wright, Llungberg, Juninho, Cole, Beattie, Jerrers and co.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Doig gradually moving towards a career at Dunfermline and Falkirk would be pleasing. 

Back to us where he kicks on would be even sweeter. No Hibs fan has yet been able to explain to me why he's so good, maybe partly because they've barely or never seen him in the flesh (like many or all scouts you'd have to assume, which makes the 3m or whatever rumours even more unbelievable). "Good engine" and decent going forward is all I get when I ask. Sounds like a hundred full backs.

Edited by ToqueJambo

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Haha. The "Big Name Players Who Came To The OF From England And Flopped XI" could get a few new recruits the way Celtic are going.

Hart will be a good bet for taking the goalie shirt in that team and joining Keane, Barton, Wright, Llungberg, Juninho, Cole, Beattie, Jerrers and co.

Not forgetting the appropriately named £5M Rafael Scheidt ... (not from England, but ...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Scheidt

Edited by Wee Mikey

8 hours ago, Jeff said:

Hope so. Big money, little return in games

15 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Danny Ings off to Aston Villa....good signing for them

Cracking singing for them! . they have singed Ings and Bailey spending the Grealish money well unlike Tottenham did when they got the money from Bale. 

Tommy Brown
23 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Cracking singing for them! . they have singed Ings and Bailey spending the Grealish money well unlike Tottenham did when they got the money from Bale. 

See they have Ashley Young back too.

At 36 years old.

Too many on here have problems with anyone over 30, never mind 36.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

See they have Ashley Young back too.

At 36 years old.

Too many on here have problems with anyone over 30, never mind 36.

Young will go well at Villa. I think Villa will be hurting over loosing Grealish there is more talent and good players there. I'm sure Villa will still be top 10 pushing into top 8 they wont struggle. 

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Young will go well at Villa. I think Villa will be hurting over loosing Grealish there is more talent and good players there. I'm sure Villa will still be top 10 pushing into top 8 they wont struggle. 

Certainly wont struggle, but will miss Grealish badly.

Leeds are my team to watch now, hoping they can make it into the mix up top.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was saying this last night to a couple of mates Villa and Leeds play good football and both will progress and build. I can see them establishing themselves in the top 8/10 off the premier league. Maybe Leeds could push higher.  

33 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Villa will be the new Everton, just lurk between 10th - 7th season after season a non event I feel.

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Barca have confirmed Messi has left and there will be no contract renewal. 

because of financial issues

Footballfirst

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/football/first-team/news/2207655/leo-messi-not-staying-at-fc-barcelona

Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).

As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.

FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandisement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life.

CloustonHMFC

Tell you what, Harry Kanes arse will be twitching big time. Acting like a dick to Spurs and now City could just sign Messi instead.

2 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Tell you what, Harry Kanes arse will be twitching big time. Acting like a dick to Spurs and now City could just sign Messi instead.

i reckon grealish might be more worried, messi on a free or grealish? easy choice considering the 100M they would save could go towards messis wages

jamboinglasgow
Just now, milky_26 said:

because of financial issues

It is crazy that this has happened, Messi had agreed a contract that was about half of his orginal salary, and spread over a long time. But they could not register him under the financial rules unless they shifted quite a few players. Barca are facing the consequences of years of terrible management of the club. Terrible signings paid at crazy levels who they cant shift. 

On 04/08/2021 at 09:54, Mikey1874 said:

Well that's rather silly.

the general
1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

Man City won’t need to splash 100 million on kane if they can get Messi for free. 

Both?

On 04/08/2021 at 11:29, kingantti1874 said:

I just don’t understand the doig stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do anything other than average. 

I do know we shouldn’t have released him though. A brain fart from levein that one

I don't want this post to be shitting on the club for the sake of it, but I think its fair to ask the question. Hibs have had a what, 2 or 3 decent youngsters come through in recent times - Cummings, Porteous and Doig. 

Cummings signed a long term deal when he was banging them in despite interest

Doig has signed a long term deal despite interest

Porteous signed a long term deal despite interest

Aberdeen managed to get McKenna to sign long term (4 years?) despite interest south of the border. 

Clearly, it is possible to persuade youngsters to stay for longer but we seem completely inept at doing so. We've lost Paterson, Nicholson, Walker and Hickey all to expiring contracts - I realise we actually got fees for both Walker and Hickey, but both were running their contracts down and it was by any description a quickfire sale that failed to maximise the value of the player. 

Are we doing something wrong here, or are we just unlucky? - Genuinely. 

The Hogfather

I see the £100m City have spent on Grealish has taken Guardiolas spend at City to £918m. That's an obscene amount of money for one football club to spend in 5 years. 

Also makes you wonder if Guardiola could actually manage a club with finite resources.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I see the £100m City have spent on Grealish has taken Guardiolas spend at City to £918m. That's an obscene amount of money for one football club to spend in 5 years. 

Also makes you wonder if Guardiola could actually manage a club with finite resources.

he’s no Calum Davidson 😆 tbf he has said he couldn’t achieve the success without the money but it’s a talent to get a tune out of these superstars.

not a fan of that style myself. Find it incredibly boring

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s no Calum Davidson 😆 tbf he has said he couldn’t achieve the success without the money but it’s a talent to get a tune out of these superstars.

not a fan of that style myself. Find it incredibly boring

I'd have an easier job recognising that talent if he did it without the need of a blank cheque. Them winning the league is no more an achievement than either of the Old Firm winning the league up here.

CloustonHMFC
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

i reckon grealish might be more worried, messi on a free or grealish? easy choice considering the 100M they would save could go towards messis wages

Confirmed signing, it'll be Kane who gets the chop if they go for Messi.

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Grealish isn't even worth half that amount. Mental. 

Salary is obscene too, over 300k a week.  In this scenario Grealish needs City more than they need him, and there aint any other club going to spend 100mill on a luxury player so you would think City held all the cards in that negotiation. Still ended up making him highest paid in England ffs

20 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Salary is obscene too, over 300k a week.  In this scenario Grealish needs City more than they need him, and there aint any other club going to spend 100mill on a luxury player so you would think City held all the cards in that negotiation. Still ended up making him highest paid in England ffs

It's just an over inflated league. One day the bubble will burst. 

11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's just an over inflated league. One day the bubble will burst. 

It can vanish up its own arse for all I care in terms of the silly money, but it’s the wider effect it has on other leagues that annoys me. 

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Don't get the hype, either.

A good footballer, perhaps even very good, but not worthy of the adulation or that kind of cash.

He was a bit part, Jamie Walker in the Euros and shite against Scotland.

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

6 goals and 10 assists and only a bit part player for England.On paper I think they already have better players where he will be playing.Having said that he will probably end up being amazing under Pep.

Grealish is a brilliant player imo. I think he'll be excellent for City but I'm not 100% certain it's a style of play where he'll be most effective. His ability to get a team up the field and hold the ball up to bring others into play would probably hold a bigger benefit to a team who don't dominate possession quite as much as City.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Don't get the hype, either.

A good footballer, perhaps even very good, but not worthy of the adulation or that kind of cash.

He was a bit part, Jamie Walker in the Euros and shite against Scotland.

I have read and watched a fair bit about Jack leaving Villa for City and all the noise saying Villa was his team this and that. I'm %99.9 sure Jack took a hissy fit a few years ago when he never got a move to Tottenham I'm sure it was the year Villa went down and Spurs came in from him. The guy is a good footballer never worth over 60M but like Purslow said last night they never expected the clause to be met at £100M. the guy is a liability off the park and something will start again. He got back with his ex a few weeks before the City deal. The drink driving and the escorts in recent months wait until it happens at City with Kyle Walker now as his team mate. 

Spurs confirm Cristian Romero from Atalanta. Potentially a very good signing, you don’t get voted defender of the year in Serie A unless you’re a player. 

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

Grealish is a brilliant player imo. I think he'll be excellent for City but I'm not 100% certain it's a style of play where he'll be most effective. His ability to get a team up the field and hold the ball up to bring others into play would probably hold a bigger benefit to a team who don't dominate possession quite as much as City.

Where’s foden going to fit in as they’re very similar players