***Non-Hearts Summer 2021 Transfer Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Who knows.  No doubt some were hovering over Doig and Nisbet and didn't pull the trigger. I actually thought Celtic were certs to take them away. 

What's the hype with Doig?  He's never impressed in any game i've ever seen him.  Hickey is head and shoulders better and left for a paltry sum with half owed to Celtic. 

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboinglasgow

• Last Laff

• Mikey1874

• milky_26

18 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Who knows.  No doubt some were hovering over Doig and Nisbet and didn't pull the trigger. I actually thought Celtic were certs to take them away. 

Maybe clubs don't rate them so highly as you. It is also true there are cheaper alternatives. Celtic and Rangers have both done that. 

Maybe see them get testimonials at Hibs. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

What is it about Nisbet and Doig that makes you think they're Celtic level? They're slightly above average young players in Scotland, and Nisbet isn't even that young for a footballer. He's the same age as Souttar. Neither is an established international. Neither have proven themselves playing under more pressure in front of crowds for Hibs.

Edited by ToqueJambo

56 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's very bad for Scottish football though and I disagree they have better chances. The Championship is the most competitive league in the world given the reward for winning it. Chances are they'll get nowhere near the EPL or the FA Cup final. Yes, they will get a lot more money though. That's the issue I have with it. Can't blame them as it's a short career but it's a sad state of affairs that these crappy little clubs down there that have done very little in the game compared to clubs like us, Aberdeen and even Hibs in terms of winning major honours and playing European football can poach the better players up here.

It does go back to the people who run our game. They need to look at these good young players going south for 600 grand or 1m despite being worth more and think of ways to get better sponsorship deals etc so clubs like St J don't need to sell every good player they have after one decent season. Our league will never be competitive and we'll never attract better sponsors if that keeps happening. The planks of wood who run our game simply don't have the vision to see that. They have no long term plan and no interest in any club outwith the OF.

Yup, in a nutshell.  They might still lose those players of course, but will be able to fend off being low-balled by nobody clubs, wafting £500k in their faces.  Clubs who pay way more for worse players.  Clubs who certainly sell players for way more up their own pyramid.  Look at Uche (hey I liked him, his ability is not the debate in this instance).  £1M+ player down there.

Our TV deal is best ever according to Dongtaster, £30M over 5 years or something I think.  Quick look and Belgium and Denmark piss on that with 100M and 45Meuros resepctively.  Even taking in population differences and exchange rates there, that pisses on ours.  I'll bet our viewing figs are higher - and yes we DO have the OF as our SPFL chiefs love to remind us.  So market them.

Tinpot.

But then look at the situation with us last season.  Clubs like St Johnstone only have themselves to blame.  No appetite for change.  All status quo.  The vast majority of clubs themselves seem not to want to rock any boats.  What if, what if, what if.  We need our guaranteed 3 matches at home vs the OF, we need to protect ourselves against relegation, we need to preserve what we have lest we lose everything.  Eugh!

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, in a nutshell.  They might still lose those players of course, but will be able to fend off being low-balled by nobody clubs, wafting £500k in their faces.  Clubs who pay way more for worse players.  Clubs who certainly sell players for way more up their own pyramid.  Look at Uche (hey I liked him, his ability is not the debate in this instance).  £1M+ player down there.

Our TV deal is best ever according to Dongtaster, £30M over 5 years or something I think.  Quick look and Belgium and Denmark piss on that with 100M and 45Meuros resepctively.  Even taking in population differences and exchange rates there, that pisses on ours.  I'll bet our viewing figs are higher - and yes we DO have the OF as our SPFL chiefs love to remind us.  So market them.

Tinpot.

But then look at the situation with us last season.  Clubs like St Johnstone only have themselves to blame.  No appetite for change.  All status quo.  The vast majority of clubs themselves seem not to want to rock any boats.  What if, what if, what if.  We need our guaranteed 3 matches at home vs the OF, we need to protect ourselves against relegation, we need to preserve what we have lest we lose everything.  Eugh!

I have little sympathy for any club like St J that gives 3 stands to the OF, even when they're relatively successful. What message does that send their fans?

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

What is it about Nisbet and Doig that makes you think they're Celtic level? They're slightly above average young players in Scotland, and Nisbet isn't even that young for a footballer. He's the same age as Souttar. Neither is an established international. Neither have proven themselves playing under more pressure in front of crowds for Hibs.

Taylor is a better player than Doig.  And by a mile.

I can't decide about Nisbet.  Feels a bit like a Goodwillie or May type who might basically be at his level and regret not realising it.  But then also laddies need to believe they can go to a big club and boss it, so no issues in belief.  Just not sure he "has it".

Caveat is I've not seen a lot of either of them tbh.

Porteous I've seen more of and he is up there with worst defenders in our league.  Truly awful.  Well seen Stevie Clarke took him in to one Scotland squad, played Considine out of position in stead of him and has never picked him again!

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Taylor is a better player than Doig.  And by a mile.

I can't decide about Nisbet.  Feels a bit like a Goodwillie or May type who might basically be at his level and regret not realising it.  But then also laddies need to believe they can go to a big club and boss it, so no issues in belief.  Just not sure he "has it".

Caveat is I've not seen a lot of either of them tbh.

Porteous I've seen more of and he is up there with worst defenders in our league.  Truly awful.  Well seen Stevie Clarke took him in to one Scotland squad, played Considine out of position in stead of him and has never picked him again!

Nisbet can score but lots of players do that in Scotland. He scores enough to get a move to League 1 like many others but I don't see any particular attributes that warrant all the transfer talk. He's not especially physical, fast, technical, good in the air or skillful. Boyce by comparison is much more of a complete footballer. I think it's just Nisbet's age and contract length, but then he's not even that young. He's very much a Shankland style late starter.

That's the thing, even Hibs fans haven't seen much of Doig and Nisbet in the flesh. Agree about Porteous. The Millwall 1m rumour was the most unbelievable of the lot, especially considering the lower fees better St J defenders are going for.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I have little sympathy for any club like St J that gives 3 stands to the OF, even when they're relatively successful. What message does that send their fans?

Yep.  All part of the tinpot mentality.  Until our entire football establishment realises our game doesn't begin and end with the OF and there are other revenue streams out there, we're snookered.

Realise they're a very saleable asset as PART of our game, with its rich culture and retention of some "real" football.   Use them, but don't rely on them.

Gets brought up all the time but Barry Hearn was spot on all those years ago

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Celtic fans defo wanted both in but they wouldn't pay the valuation, hence the new Greek and Croatian boy.  They wouldn't pay the asking price for Hickey either. Biscuit tin. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's very bad for Scottish football though and I disagree they have better chances. The Championship is the most competitive league in the world given the reward for winning it. Chances are they'll get nowhere near the EPL or the FA Cup final. Yes, they will get a lot more money though. That's the issue I have with it. Can't blame them as it's a short career but it's a sad state of affairs that these crappy little clubs down there that have done very little in the game compared to clubs like us, Aberdeen and even Hibs in terms of winning major honours and playing European football can poach the better players up here.

It does go back to the people who run our game. They need to look at these good young players going south for 600 grand or 1m despite being worth more and think of ways to get better sponsorship deals etc so clubs like St J don't need to sell every good player they have after one decent season. Our league will never be competitive and we'll never attract better sponsors if that keeps happening. The planks of wood who run our game simply don't have the vision to see that. They have no long term plan and no interest in any club outwith the OF.

To be fair Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forrest have done alright in Europe in the past …

It is annoying seeing teams much smaller in Hearts thrive due to the cash in the English game.

British Premier League ?

18 hours ago, Darren said:

Yep.

While I'm sure most of us would like to see more people following the Edinburgh clubs (or Hearts at least), I always find it a bit patronising to belittle St Johnstone's crowds when they're almost exactly the same proportionally as ours.

Glasgow clubs obviously do better, Dundee clubs are much the same as Hearts/Hibs/St Johnstone and Aberdeen a bit worse. 

St Johnstone have, unfortunately for them, suffered a similar issue as we did post-Scottish Cup win in 1998.

My post was anything but patronising.  I was looking at the crowds that St J got for their european matches which shows that they have a large amount of passive support.  Yes you can say that about any team but for a club that is a consistent SPL team they should be better supported.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Good luck to him.  Celtic must be spewing. 

There was a lot of fury on this board when we were linked with him 😆(me included 🤦‍♂️) clueless

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

There was a lot of fury on this board when we were linked with him 😆(me included 🤦‍♂️) clueless

:lol: 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Signed a new contract so doubtful.

Makes it even more likely tbh.   There will be a clause to leave if the right compensation comes in.  

Signed a new contract so doubtful.

that won’t stop a bigger team taking him.. will end up at Preston next 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Makes it even more likely tbh.   There will be a clause to leave if the right compensation comes in.  

Haha yes...sorry, I assumed you meant he'd be getting the chop 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Never noticed Uche moving to Cardiff but the big man opened his account with the winning goal last night.

Good to see him doing a job down there. Always liked him.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Never noticed Uche moving to Cardiff but the big man opened his account with the winning goal last night.

Good to see him doing a job down there. Always liked him.

scott herbertson
On 01/09/2021 at 14:55, jamboinglasgow said:

Hibs have signed Dylan Tait from Raith Rovers.

They signed him in August 2021 and loaned him to Raith?

scott herbertson
13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

he is now on loan at kilmarnock

yep, but I was responding to J-I-Gs post saying Hibs had signed him this window....

ginger jambo98
7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

yep, but I was responding to J-I-Gs post saying Hibs had signed him this window....

JIG’s post was from Sept 21.

30 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

as ginger says, the post you quoted was from 1st sept

scott herbertson

LOL - teach me not to read the thread title....

image.jpeg.7c1dee2dbd85fcce578dace53eb1d17f.jpeg

59 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

JIG’s post was from Sept 21.

37 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

as ginger says, the post you quoted was from 1st sept

• 1 month later...
August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hibs and Aberdeen after st midden goalie in pre contract Jan Alnwick

Fine, he's decent but hasn't caused us too much bother this season. No better than Joe Lewis or Marciano was, probably better than Hibs' current pair though

SomethingAboutObua

Pre-Savage it used to frustrate the hell out of me Aberdeen and Hibs would go for the same players and we seemed to be in a totally different market of guys we'd never heard of. Now I'm incredibly thankful that with Savage Aberdeen and Hibs go for the same players and we seem to be in a totally different market for guys we've never heard of. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen Hibs have been linked to Swindon's Harry McKirdy. Never heard of him but this bit on his wiki page sounds good. Should last about 5mins. 😁

'He has been criticised for his temperament, particularly in regards to his reactions to jeering by fans both on the pitch and on social media.'

Batistuta87

Just seen Hibs have been linked to Swindon's Harry McKirdy. Never heard of him but this bit on his wiki page sounds good. Should last about 5mins. 😁

'He has been criticised for his temperament, particularly in regards to his reactions to jeering by fans both on the pitch and on social media.'

Hahahaha imagine him at Tynecastle with us abusing him and wee Cammy standing on his toes and nipping his arse 😂

Under the floodlight
On 28/03/2022 at 14:00, DH1986 said:

Hibs love a St Mirren player…their Chief a scout must live in Paisley.

He works on the till in the Celtic shop.