Abroad, Holiday at Home or No Holiday this Summer?

CostaJambo

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Cool, handy for a beer by the river out the back of the hotel. Great place. We're going to do the boat trip this time round. Up the mountains in a Pinzgauer was the highlight of our last trip in October.

Absolutely great for a beer out the back of the hotel. 👍

You can hire wee boats with an outboard down at the pier. Hooring about on Loch Tay is great fun, although it can be surprisingly choppy if the wind is up, and it's always much cooler out on the water.

There's some lovely holiday properties that cater for large groups around Craggantoul just down the road too. The only downside is there's no pub within easy staggering distance.

JudyJudyJudy

Not interested in all the hassle of going abroad and the rip offs of getting tests etc . They can bolt . Going to Wrexham of all places for a weekend in July ! How the mighty have fallen 😂 prob go up north too to Aviemore again as I love there too 

Carl Fredrickson

A couple of days in a hotel near family in Yorkshire and then 4 nights in a farm cottage near Filey. Had a caravan holiday booked for last summer, when I checked the same one for this year it was double the price. 

Got a cottage in a small farm development with a kids play area, pool/darts room and free wifi for less than half the price of the caravan. 

Really looking forward to getting away for a few days

Harry Potter
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not interested in all the hassle of going abroad and the rip offs of getting tests etc . They can bolt . Going to Wrexham of all places for a weekend in July ! How the mighty have fallen 😂 prob go up north too to Aviemore again as I love there too 

Lots of wildlife round Aviemore and great scenary, theres a trout fishery to the SE of the town if you

fly fish.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Lots of wildlife round Aviemore and great scenary, theres a trout fishery to the SE of the town if you

fly fish.

Yes it’s a lovely area . Great scenery too . Just relaxing place . I only eat fish I don’t fish for them ! 👍

Harry Potter
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yes it’s a lovely area . Great scenery too . Just relaxing place . I only eat fish I don’t fish for them ! 👍

Had my 1st honeymoon up there at Coylumbridge hotel,  lovely hotel, close to Loch Morlich, 

The Real Maroonblood

I would recommend Tralee Bay Caravan and Lodge site near Oban.

It’s fantastic and beside a beach.

It is also dog friendly.

The_razors_edge
54 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Diggerland :greggy:

Just found out that Diggerland is closed on the Friday we’d be heading home :muggy:

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Had my 1st honeymoon up there at Coylumbridge hotel,  lovely hotel, close to Loch Morlich, 

Yes I know that Hotel we stayed at the McDonald morlich hotel . Was great . Also took walk down to local pubs etc great atmosphere 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It is also dog friendly.

I was in Oban about 20 years visiting my first partners family . Great place . He stayed in a lovely wee cottage . 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I was in Oban about 20 years visiting my first partners family . Great place . He stayed in a lovely wee cottage . 

👍

John Findlay
12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve never been to places like York or Bath. Worth going to?

Yes, both lovely cities in their own right.

Both well worth a visit imho.

John Findlay

Perharps a bit of the beaten track, perharps not.

The Isle of Wight is a lovely place to visit during the summer months.

highlandjambo3
16 hours ago, Barack said:

Two weeks back home. North Coast 500 for 4 of those. November break in York for her 40th.

Cyprus next June. Sod the hassle.

Watch out for those camper vans on the NC500

19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Watch out for those camper vans on the NC500

It was cyclists holding up the traffic on Sunday, from Rogie falls north.

highlandjambo3
15 minutes ago, Boab said:

It’ll be more like the Indy500 up there this summer. Not my cup of tea. 

It’s well over used now, infrastructure can’t cope with the volume of traffic and, weegie boy racers are seeing who can do it the quickest…arses

indianajones

Can understand the appeal of museums etc but cant think of anything worse than having a holiday in London. 

Got 7 florida flights and 7 easyjet connecting flights on credit since last July, bet they expire before I can use them.

19 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Can understand the appeal of museums etc but cant think of anything worse than having a holiday in London. 

Depends what you’re after I suppose.

Getting out the city and going to Greenwich is pretty good in the summer. Maritime Museum and the park are a great day out. The popular touristy places are always the same. South bank I just love. Great buzz.  So much to see and do if you venture away from the busy centre. 

A family week in a shooge hoose in Fairlie near Largs beginning of July.

4 nights in the Highlands on motorbikes with 4 mates starting the day after Fairlie.

A family week in a cottage in Blackpool beginning of August.

5 nights with the wife's brother, sister and partners in a shooge hoose in Dunoon for the September weekend.

A family week in Albufeira in October if restrictions allow it.

That's it till next May and our 5th attempt at 10 nights in Turkey.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

Week outside Blackpool with the Mrs and Kid use it as a base few things to do in Blackpool drive to Liverpool for the day maybe even north wales or Chester will be good. Hopefully get abroad next year at some point. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

6 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

A family week in a shooge hoose in Fairlie near Largs beginning of July.

4 nights in the Highlands on motorbikes with 4 mates starting the day after Fairlie.

A family week in a cottage in Blackpool beginning of August.

5 nights with the wife's brother, sister and partners in a shooge hoose in Dunoon for the September weekend.

A family week in Albufeira in October if restrictions allow it.

That's it till next May and our 5th attempt at 10 nights in Turkey.

I’d need another holiday to get over all those holidays 😂

I've just booked to come back to Edinburgh end of June for 4 weeks. Planning (once I'm out of 10 days isolation) to head to Fife for some golf with my boys. Really looking forward to it.

Savage Vince
11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It is also dog friendly.

I can't recommend here enough. It's a gorgeous wee spot and the cottages are excellent. 

https://clancottages.com/

Booked the Aria in Las Vegas for my 50th at the end of December for a week,hopefully be able to travel by then.Already had to cancel two trips there.

Was supposed to be in the rolling Tuscan hills for a fortnight.

Now we are going Butlins Skegness.

Distraught doesn't cover it but it's all about the kids this year for us. 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Currently staying in Inverness for a few days. It was a scorcher today and struggled to find a pub with a beer garden. Normally go to the Castle Tavern but it was rammed by 4pm. Luckily managed to get a table outside Johnny Foxes for a few beers and something to eat. Grateful for any recommendations on other places that might be quieter. 

1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Currently staying in Inverness for a few days. It was a scorcher today and struggled to find a pub with a beer garden. Normally go to the Castle Tavern but it was rammed by 4pm. Luckily managed to get a table outside Johnny Foxes for a few beers and something to eat. Grateful for any recommendations on other places that might be quieter. 

The Chieftain usually gets a visit when Hearts are up that way, I notice they have outside areas now.

Screenshot_20210603-003625.png

Already cancelled my September trip to Nerja (Spain) for a 3rd time,as much as I’d love to go I couldn’t be bothered with the added hassle and uncertainty.

Booked a stay at a lodge with hot tub in Lincolnshire and a few nights in a gaff near Filey. 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Portugal maybe going to amber now.

Crazy to even consider going abroad at the minute.

One of the reasons why we are not going abroad until all this settles down, things can change so quickly.

Won't be going anywhere this year other than maybe an impromptu weekend somewhere in the UK as we are attempting to sell the flat and move elsewhere.

Once we sell the flat the profit/equity will clear our credit cards and still leave enough for a deposit elsewhere so once the new house is sorted we'll no doubt get booked for a decent holiday somewhere, possibly SE Asia including Cambodia to see friends that have been living out there for the last couple of years.

Donegal in July and again in August, a couple of days away in the west of Ireland in September, and a long weekend in London in October, all going well.

Got 3 weeks off in August so we'll hopefully be visiting my folks (as long as wee nippy allows it) at home and dare I say it, also go to the in-laws in scumbria.

We were supposed to be going to Zambia 😭

Edited by IronJambo

Byyy The Light

Mates have just moved to Kent. Will be heading there in July and hoping it’s fecking  roasting. Week of the The Open too so might head there for a days watching.

Abandoned all hope of going abroad this year now but will book a last minute long weekend in Ibiza if things look better later in the year or some winter sun. 

Various days and long weekends booked with and without the kids including London, Brighton, York, Darlington, Newcastle and log cabin somewhere in Northumbria. 

I P Knightley
On 01/06/2021 at 18:46, CostaJambo said:

What are folk planning for this summer holiday-wise? Don't fancy flying nor paying an exorbitant rent for a tiny cottage so tried to do a house swap for a couple of weeks with my sister in Edinburgh (we live near Reading) but they are already booked to go camping somewhere so just gonna take a fortnight off work and stay home. What is everybody else doing? Interested to hear peoples' thoughts on flying right now, both for and against. Not quite fully comfortable with that option yet ourselves.

I started to look for a house swap but am too protective of some of the stuff in my house to let any or Tom, Dick or Harry have free rein - even if they're relatives. (Let's face it, my nearest relatives - my offspring - are a bunch of arseholes who can't even shut the toilet door after them. I'm not going to relax if there are others in my house.)

I've managed to arrange a family trip back up north for the best part of a fortnight in August. My kids, now late teens, always enjoy a trip to Edinburgh. I figure that they're now old enough and aware enough to venture into Fife for a few nights to have a look at the natives.

Some of it staying with relatives, some of it stopping in those expensive cottages of which you speak. I heard someone on the radio speculating that lots of people have booked up cottages and lodges that have a zero-consequence cancellation fee in the hope that restrictions lift and they can jet off to somewhere overseas and pick up whatever fresh variant of the virus is kicking about there. If that proves to be correct and travel restrictions are relaxed in July, you might find that there are quite a few places available on last minute deals.

Buggered if I'm going overseas, though. That's just stupid behaviour and the UK has got plenty to offer without going to an airport and getting on to a plane with a crowd of people who think there's nothing wrong with going to an airport and piling onto a plane.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I started to look for a house swap but am too protective of some of the stuff in my house to let any or Tom, Dick or Harry have free rein - even if they're relatives. (Let's face it, my nearest relatives - my offspring - are a bunch of arseholes who can't even shut the toilet door after them. I'm not going to relax if there are others in my house.)

I've managed to arrange a family trip back up north for the best part of a fortnight in August. My kids, now late teens, always enjoy a trip to Edinburgh. I figure that they're now old enough and aware enough to venture into Fife for a few nights to have a look at the natives.

Some of it staying with relatives, some of it stopping in those expensive cottages of which you speak. I heard someone on the radio speculating that lots of people have booked up cottages and lodges that have a zero-consequence cancellation fee in the hope that restrictions lift and they can jet off to somewhere overseas and pick up whatever fresh variant of the virus is kicking about there. If that proves to be correct and travel restrictions are relaxed in July, you might find that there are quite a few places available on last minute deals.

Buggered if I'm going overseas, though. That's just stupid behaviour and the UK has got plenty to offer without going to an airport and getting on to a plane with a crowd of people who think there's nothing wrong with going to an airport and piling onto a plane.

Many places on Airbnb are offering 100% refunds if you have to cancel the day before.

highlandjambo3
On 02/06/2021 at 23:27, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Head up river (same side as foxes) there are 3 decent hotels with loads of outside seating

On 02/06/2021 at 10:26, Harry Potter said:

My parents live just behind the Coylumbridge.  Never tire of going home and staying a few days.  Beautiful and quiet

Ditched the overseas holiday last year and this.  Heading to the Algarve next year to make up for it.

Having a few days in Edinburgh before heading home to Aviemore for 3 days in August this year.

magic roundabout

I'm off to Thailand in 3 weeks....Its not exactly a holiday as I'll be away for minimum of 6 months.  Its been a bit of nightmare  (and costly) to arrange.  I'll need to hotel quarantine for 15 days when I arrive (you are not allowed to leave the room!).  I'll also be subject to 4 Covid PCR tests and have to take and record my temperature twice a day!  I think its going to be a while before foreign holidays are back to normal!  

Enzo Chiefo

After enduring a horrendous drive from Bournemouth up to Yorkshire today, due to the closure of the M1 at Jct 29 and the usual hotspots around Oxford, I fear a summer of gridlocked UK roads as a result of the Govts determination to force us to staycate rather than holiday abroad. My future ventures South will be by plane. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
9 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Head up river (same side as foxes) there are 3 decent hotels with loads of outside seating

Cheers mate  I'm actually staying at the Glen Mhor but their choice of beer is poor as I prefer real ale. Managed to get a table at MacGregors. Great wee pub. 

• 2 weeks later...
highlandjambo3
56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve organised a week in London with family, during the summer holidays. 

Any recommendations of family activities of restaurants, which are a bit different for the usual tourist fair would be appreciated.

Harry Potter world is great……for eating go to Chinatown but, not the big main posh looking restaurants on the front….go down the side streets and find out where the Chinese restaurant workers eat.