Christophe Berra

Hairy Nugget

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

End of the day you’ve got to be thankful in a way that Levein did take the job. If he didn’t he would probably still be the director of football making the blunder appointments and signings

Hopefully you are now well clear that I’m not just backing everything the club does mindlessly. I have slated the club plenty. But as of right now. Hearts are promoted back to the premier and we’ve got 2 new men Mckinley and Savage, occupying Leveins old roles at the club and on the board. So I am looking forwards not back. When all is said and done, promotion not cups was the critically important mission this season. 

As for Brora I was on board with the sack seethe and was absolutely fuming at Neilson. But things settled a bit and it was pretty obvious to me that the club wasn’t going to sack him sat 1st in the table. Just ridiculous to actually think that was anywhere near enough, if you think it through. But in terms of what it’s done to my expectations and pressure I put Robbie under now for next season? It is massive pressure cooker. The atmosphere at Hearts is as intense now as it has been in many many years. So give Robbie the chance to regroup and grow next season. He will be acutely aware of the pressure he is under to put a serious Hearts team together, the team for the post Levein era. This is a major moment for the club so he’s got my backing. I watched basically his whole career, I will back him to rise to the challenge. Hopefully I won’t “get there” with him. Hopefully he grabs his chance and succeeds. With the 20 odd dross players he has emptied and few decent players he’s got available Soapy, mceneff, Haring, GMS, Ginelly? There is an opportunity next season to spring a few surprises imo. 

One essential thing, getting back vaguely to the topic, is to find the next Berra. Easier said than done. We’ve not produced a single quality Center half since him, that is the more alarming thing than anything for me. 18 years on from Christophe’s debut the best we’ve done is Brad McKay and Jordan McGhee. Poor. 

We’ve only really produced Paterson and Hickey since then that have been comparable to him in any position. 
He was a good servant to the club and deserves a send off from a full home end, that was the idea to give him a testimonial in return for ending his contract, bit old fashioned no doubt. 
If the stories about him telling Neilson to **** off during the QoS game are true then it shows how little respect he gets from guys who’ve achieved far more than him in his career. 
We all want Neilson to succeed, win trophies and entertain us but there is zero evidence of this actually being possible, in fact everything shows it won’t happen. 
Im at an impasse just now, being told to GTF and not buy a ST if I can’t go to games and happy clap but also called not that loyal by a clueless fool because I might not buy one after nearly 50 years spending who knows how much following us all over here and Europe. 
An overly sentimental promotional video or positive chairman statement spin won’t change that. 

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve only really produced Paterson and Hickey since then that have been comparable to him in any position. 
He was a good servant to the club and deserves a send off from a full home end, that was the idea to give him a testimonial in return for ending his contract, bit old fashioned no doubt. 
If the stories about him telling Neilson to **** off during the QoS game are true then it shows how little respect he gets from guys who’ve achieved far more than him in his career. 
We all want Neilson to succeed, win trophies and entertain us but there is zero evidence of this actually being possible, in fact everything shows it won’t happen. 
Im at an impasse just now, being told to GTF and not buy a ST if I can’t go to games and happy clap but also called not that loyal by a clueless fool because I might not buy one after nearly 50 years spending who knows how much following us all over here and Europe. 
An overly sentimental promotional video or positive chairman statement spin won’t change that. 

Aye but by that same token look what happened to the team after Berra was emptied. Like a breath of fresh air with soapy back in and other players looking more confident. Something big changed and Berra has not been seen since not even at the medal ceremony.

Berra was a negative influence by the end IMO and if he’s told Neilson to **** off, on top of his previous fall out with Stendel? That tells you a lot more about Christophe than it does Robbie. Christophe has delusionally clung on to the notion of being a player again imo. He’s been in denial about his body being finished and there’s been doubts among his team mates in him, it has been a negative contagion of lack of confidence we have seen spread throughout the squad. 

And idk who’s called you not that loyal or whatever but it wisnae me. I will tell you to GTF calling me a happy clapper tho. I am not. But I am more happy now than I have been in say 2 years because, hearts are back up, and a huge amount of dross has now been emptied from the club. And we’ve got a few players I am enjoying more in Gordon, Boyce, Soapy -  and a few fresh guys mceneff, GMS in the building with a few more to come. Say what you want about Robbie you’ve got to concede he has got that right. From Uche Zlamal and Clare right through to Berra and white. Leveins shower of 20 odd relegation shite bags has now been pretty much emptied to a man. So we’ve got to look forwards and get a bit of optimism going again. There are reasons to be cheerful 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye but by that same token look what happened to the team after Berra was emptied. Like a breath of fresh air with soapy back in and other players looking more confident. Something big changed and Berra has not been seen since not even at the medal ceremony.

Berra was a negative influence by the end IMO and if he’s told Neilson to **** off, on top of his previous fall out with Stendel? That tells you a lot more about Christophe than it does Robbie. Christophe has delusionally clung on to the notion of being a player again imo. He’s been in denial about his body being finished and there’s been doubts among his team mates in him, it has been a negative contagion of lack of confidence we have seen spread throughout the squad. 

And idk who’s called you not that loyal or whatever but it wisnae me. I will tell you to GTF calling me a happy clapper tho. I am not. But I am more happy now than I have been in say 2 years because, hearts are back up, and a huge amount of dross has now been emptied from the club. And we’ve got a few players I am enjoying more in Gordon, Boyce, Soapy -  and a few fresh guys mceneff, GMS in the building with a few more to come. Say what you want about Robbie you’ve got to concede he has got that right. From Uche Zlamal and Clare right through to Berra and white. Leveins shower of 20 odd relegation shite bags has now been pretty much emptied to a man. So we’ve got to look forwards and get a bit of optimism going again. There are reasons to be cheerful 

No doubt about Berra being all that, he still deserves some sort of send off. Even at HT in a derby or something. 
Im not sure if Neilson gets all the credit for GMS/Gnanduillet/McEneff, or all the criticism for Kastaneer. 
He certainly deserves criticism for Frear/Roberts/Popescu/Stewart and Halliday. 
Im not allowed to discuss who called me disloyal or what happened when I replied. If I’m outta here you will know I’m not supposed to even say that. 
New signings might make me feel differently but it’s still the same guy setting up the tactics etc. 

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

One essential thing, getting back vaguely to the topic, is to find the next Berra. Easier said than done. We’ve not produced a single quality Center half since him, that is the more alarming thing than anything for me. 18 years on from Christophe’s debut the best we’ve done is Brad McKay and Jordan McGhee. Poor. 

Yes, we've struggled for a long time to find an Alan McLaren/Christophe Berra type within our ranks. 

It's not happening at the moment so if they want a natural replacement for Berra right at this moment then Jimmy Dunne is that player. They should be working their arses off trying to sign him up. No idea even if they're interested and if not, why not?. If he ever was to sign up, they should then be working on finding a raw young defender and coaching him into a Levein/McLaren/Berra etc for the future. Whether that's through the youth system or from another club is for them to sort out.

Edited by jambonian

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yes, we've struggled for a long time to find an Alan McLaren/Christophe Berra type within our ranks. 

It's not happening at the moment so if they want a natural replacement for Berra right at this moment then Jimmy Dunne is that player. They should be working their arses off trying to sign him up. No idea even if they're interested and if not, why not?. If he ever was to sign up, they should then be working on finding a raw young defender and coaching him into a Levein/McLaren/Berra etc for the future. Whether that's through the youth system or from another club is for them to sort out.

Dunne was a really good performer for us, I certainly would take him, but he will have a few suitors, he’s a good age, just needs to get to the right club where he will start games and be a major player at a level where he can try and push into an Ireland squad. That could easily be Hearts with Mceneff here doing the same thing. Tbh I would even think there’d be a chance Celtic would look at him now as a replacement for the Ajer if they sell him. Worth an offer but I wouldn’t have massive confidence we can get him. 

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Dunne was a really good performer for us, I certainly would take him, but he will have a few suitors, he’s a good age, just needs to get to the right club where he will start games and be a major player at a level where he can try and push into an Ireland squad. That could easily be Hearts with Mceneff here doing the same thing. Tbh I would even think there’d be a chance Celtic would look at him now as a replacement for the Ajer if they sell him. Worth an offer but I wouldn’t have massive confidence we can get him. 

Probably won't.

I don't think money (within reason) would be as major an issue as some might think. He's not played that many first team games throughout his career so far but i can only go on what i've seen of him at Hearts. That old saying.....you don't ask, you don't get. To me, it's more that they are either burying their heads in the sand and ignoring his availability or they're looking for another cheap and easy fix (with no future transfer fee). It smacks of lack of ambition to me. It's frustrating when you know we'd get him on a free and up to a couple of weeks back it was only Preston that were showing an interest. He was definitely one of the best central defenders i've seen at Hearts in years. His replacement when his loan was up, Shaughnessy showed even more how decent Dunne was because he was awful. You'd think having Smith, Boyce & McEneff at the club would also help. Maybe McPhee was the connection with him being here that last time. As you say though, chances of him rocking up at Tynecastle are probably slim to no chance.

As an out and out defender, there's only a few others in the last 20odd years that can match the level of performances that he put in the first year or so after his return. Sadly the injury finished him. As someone else mentioned, 41 caps. Not many Hearts men achieve that.

Fort Vallance

Berra did a job for us on and off the park. Albeit a reasonably well paid job. Thanks and move on. 

Seaside jambo

Thanks for you time at Hearts , and all the best for your future . You’ve not been the best player we’ve had, but nowhere near the worst 

Good luck 🇱🇻

12 out the door.  Such a shame Damour isn't one of them.  Would be great to see them replaced with 3 new signings who cost little or nothing.  Even greater if they all do well for us.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

we had Celtic rattled in 2019. Let Eduaord right on through, practically signalled him on through to goal like an air traffic controller 

Hope that is not laughing at the seriousness of my post.

probably a bit dramatic on my part, but if he kept his hands down at that corner, we’d have won the game in 90 minutes 2-1

It's galling that we could very easily have had two more SCs in the cabinet the last couple of years, and they would have both been two of our greatest cup wins considering the opposition in the finals. The 19/20 one would have been up there with 5-1 and 98.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

12 out the door.  Such a shame Damour isn't one of them.  Would be great to see them replaced with 3 new signings who cost little or nothing.  Even greater if they all do well for us.

Maybe Damour will surprise us?

Narrator: "He didn't"

Bunny Munro

Berra played for us for about 10 years and was fantastic for about 2 of them. Above average for about another 2. Absolutely dreadful for 2 and a half. 

His attitude as a captain has been pathetic for years. 

Great servant, never recovered from the bad one he took a few years back. Always gave his best and in both stints at the club and had long periods of 'strolling it'.

His first stint we were absolutely blessed with world class CB pairings. How I long for the days of Ritchie, Pressley, Weir, McLaren, McPherson, Levein, Webster et al. We have had great defenses over the years, sorely missed now :( 

jamboinglasgow

Overall his time at Hearts he was a great player for the club and a great servant. I think with time people will focus on his great time pre-Celtic injury which is what we should do.

Over 250 competitive games for Hearts, few others have achieved that since 2000. Only Steven Pressley and Andy Webster have played more games for Hearts since 1998

part_time_jambo
8 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

🤔

👍

Would / should have

Would of 👎

Thanks Christophe ...... 

Does my head in too. Glad it's not just me.

corryjambo
45 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Berra played for us for about 10 years and was fantastic for about 2 of them. Above average for about another 2. Absolutely dreadful for 2 and a half. 

What about the other three and a half years?

Absolute Scenes
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's galling that we could very easily have had two more SCs in the cabinet the last couple of years, and they would have both been two of our greatest cup wins considering the opposition in the finals. The 19/20 one would have been up there with 5-1 and 98.

Agreed.

unpopular opinion but Berra played a massive part in both those cups not coming back to Edinburgh 

Niemi’s gloves

That 2019 cup defeat apparently has more guilty parties than “Murder on the Orient Express”. 

All Berra’s fault

All Zlamal’s fault 

All Levein’s fault

All Collum’s fault

Bunny Munro
34 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

What about the other three and a half years?

Average. Although this was when he was breaking through so it's not a criticism.

Ended badly and I don’t think he did himself or us any favours rushing back from injury.

Hated seeing him struggle against players not fit to lace his boots

Bunny Munro
24 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Average. Although this was when he was breaking through so it's not a criticism.

15 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

How was he for the other 3 and a half years? 

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Never a good idea to bring a great player back to the club. 

🤔

_68236790_robertson_sns.jpg

1647927%20(1).jpg

6cf8947f23f10adc899a474753083949.jpg

rudolf-skacel.jpg

skysports-craig-gordon-hearts_5159589.jp

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

🤔

_68236790_robertson_sns.jpg

1647927%20(1).jpg

6cf8947f23f10adc899a474753083949.jpg

rudolf-skacel.jpg

skysports-craig-gordon-hearts_5159589.jp

Big Dave as well. 

Unknown user
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Big Dave as well. 

I knew I'd missed a big one, could not think who it was!

Cut The Crap

Mostly decent, at times very good. Unseemly hissy fits soured the end of his time with us. All best as he begins his life after football at Raith.

corryjambo
1 hour ago, Bunny Munro said:

👍🏻

Jambo 4 Ever
14 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

what about the other 3 and half years?

bigsuperslim1874
On 01/06/2021 at 14:49, Pasquale for King said:

I’d never heard that rumour TBF….I’d hope it’s nonsense but if not then poor show from Berra. ☹️

22 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

As an out and out defender, there's only a few others in the last 20odd years that can match the level of performances that he put in the first year or so after his return. Sadly the injury finished him. As someone else mentioned, 41 caps. Not many Hearts men achieve that.

I agree.

If you're going to judge Berra, judge him by his best years in maroon ( which would also include his first period). Outstanding defender, and very fast too.

I'd agree that he should get a proper send-off, half-time appearance or something. I'd cheer him to the rafters.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

I’d never heard that rumour TBF….I’d hope it’s nonsense but if not then poor show from Berra. ☹️

It would explain why he was totally bombed out after that game. 
It also ties in with the experienced players having no respect for an untrustworthy and a manager with no charisma.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

I assume this is a joke.

ummm no.  you said 10 years

and your sum only adds up to 6.5

franco2209
21 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

ummm no.  you said 10 years

and your sum only adds up to 6.5

He's brassed off because he has already answered the question and people like you can't be arsed doing due diligence and reading   a couple of posts back and then posting arithmetic, .Anyway, I'll answer.... the other 3.5 years he was posted missing.👍

bigsuperslim1874
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It would explain why he was totally bombed out after that game. 
It also ties in with the experienced players having no respect for an untrustworthy and a manager with no charisma.

It was odd that when it was announced he would be going that it was said he would get opportunity to add to his appearance total (sure that was said) but he then disappeared off the face of the earth!

Neilson has his faults but this would be solely on Berra IMO. Done and dusted now I guess but still a crap ending to his Hearts career.

Pasquale for King
Just now, bigsuperslim1874 said:

It was odd that when it was announced he would be going that it was said he would get opportunity to add to his appearance total (sure that was said) but he then disappeared off the face of the earth!

Neilson has his faults but this would be solely on Berra IMO. Done and dusted now I guess but still a crap ending to his Hearts career.

A bit of sour end to his time with us, funnily enough not many who criticised Stendel for ditching him did so with Neilson.

siegementality
On 01/06/2021 at 11:06, Stu_HMFC said:

I can still see that second Celtic goal in the 2019 final plays out in my head over and over. 

Doesn't even hold his hands up to take responsibility it was screaming for the offside and then when he seen he was playing him on flap the arms about trying to blame everyone else in sight.

Then the embarrassment of a interview saying DS ruined his wedding ( two days after being married ) he was getting punted. 

I’d be more inclined to blame Edouard for being a cheating barsteward for the penalty which totally changed the momentum of the game.

I can’t argue about your last point, albeit DS should have told Berra himself rather than Levein doing it.

bigsuperslim1874
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

I’d be more inclined to blame Edouard for being a cheating barsteward for the penalty which totally changed the momentum of the game.

I can’t argue about your last point, albeit DS should have told Berra himself rather than Levein doing it.

100% this. It enrages me to this day that this is brushed over…..tv footage proved his legs were buckling before any contact.

If memory serves correctly VAR had become a thing in England and when the TV showed the footage from behind the goal it proved he engineered the contact and commentators suggested it would have likely been overturned. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

100% this. It enrages me to this day that this is brushed over…..tv footage proved his legs were buckling before any contact.

If memory serves correctly VAR had become a thing in England and when the TV showed the footage from behind the goal it proved he engineered the contact and commentators suggested it would have likely been overturned. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It was cheating. Plain and simple. If it was the other way about and it was say Uche that dived there would be an SFA intervention, a parliamentary enquiry and the match would be replayed. And that’s no even an exaggeration.

One crumb of comfort from that result was Lennon was appointed permanent Celtic manager right after the game. A decision which has sent them back about 10 years! ☺️

That’s what you call INSTANT karma.

Edited by DS98

Hectormasson
On 01/06/2021 at 15:10, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That was a good read m8👏👏👏👏👏👌

On 01/06/2021 at 15:10, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Great post. Totally agree although Berra was a good player for us when he first came back but since his injury was poor.

bigsuperslim1874
5 hours ago, DS98 said:

It was cheating. Plain and simple. If it was the other way about and it was say Uche that dived there would be an SFA intervention, a parliamentary enquiry and the match would be replayed. And that’s no even an exaggeration.

One crumb of comfort from that result was Lennon was appointed permanent Celtic manager right after the game. A decision which has sent them back about 10 years! ☺️

That’s what you call INSTANT karma.

Totally agree. I’m still raging clearly 🤣.