Christophe Berra

Hairy Nugget

Hairy Nugget

See his contract is up today.Thanks for everything.Would of been nice for the club to of put out a thanks to him even if it hasn’t worked out recently!

been here before

'Great servant' , 'Stalwart' , 'body on the line'...

Or feel free to choose your own cliche.

I haven't been following the news - where is Cochrane off to? That's a fair clear-out we're having.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

'Great servant' , 'Stalwart' , 'body on the line'...

Or feel free to choose your own cliche.

As per my above post, he cost us two Scottish cups. Bye Berra

19 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Cost us two Scottish cups

I can still see that second Celtic goal in the 2019 final plays out in my head over and over. 

Doesn't even hold his hands up to take responsibility it was screaming for the offside and then when he seen he was playing him on flap the arms about trying to blame everyone else in sight.

Then the embarrassment of a interview saying DS ruined his wedding ( two days after being married ) he was getting punted. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I can still see that second Celtic goal in the 2019 final plays out in my head over and over. 

Both those finals are massive what could of beens. Both his errors. 

John Findlay

Christophe Berra. I thank you for the service you have given Heart of Midlothian over the years. Good luck with your new club.

To the shitebags that call themselves Hearts supporters.

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Mark_Mywords
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Christophe Berra. I thank you for the service you have given Heart of Midlothian over the years. Good luck with your new club.

To the shitebags that call themselves Hearts supporters.

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Indeed.  Well said John. 👍

Stendelnator
48 minutes ago, Hairy Nugget said:

See his contract is up today.Thanks for everything.Would of been nice for the club to of put out a thanks to him even if it hasn’t worked out recently!

They did. Back in April. 

Good luck at Raith and life after football Simba. Gave the club wonderful service and made us good money in a very good career. 

Jim Panzee

yeap - all the best to Berra. Made the club money. Not his fault he kept getting picked when not 100% back to his best.

I'll prefer to remember the good times.

Great player,  not his fault he was selected when past his best.  Never recovered from hamstring tear. All the best with Raith

33 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Then the embarrassment of a interview saying DS ruined his wedding

Laced his tea with bromide?

:berra:

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

As per my above post, he cost us two Scottish cups. Bye Berra

:laugh2:

Pasquale for King

We should’ve done a deal to end his contract last summer, in exchange for a testimonial when crowds were allowed back in. We could’ve used his wages to get a decent CH that would now be bedded in and ready to go next season. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Giving him that 2 year extension is definitely up there in the top 50 Levein blunders. 

Feel for him but would’ve been best for him to move on from hearts to a lower level after his injury 2 years ago. He would have enjoyed the last years of his career with less pressure and abuse from the hearts fans. But as it was, he has been one of our worst outfield players consistently. Hope he can turn the tide and have a good season with Raith and see out his career in a happier way, but honestly I have a feeling he will be pretty bad for them as well. All the best though 

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Glad he is moving on but very glad he was a Hearts player.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very much this

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Indeed, on both points. 

Midloth_Iain
1 hour ago, Hairy Nugget said:

🤔

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We should’ve done a deal to end his contract last summer, in exchange for a testimonial when crowds were allowed back in. We could’ve used his wages to get a decent CH that would now be bedded in and ready to go next season. 

👍

Would / should have

Would of 👎

Thanks Christophe ...... 

A_A wehatethehibs
22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A contracts a contract. A testimonial is something a club may offer a player out of love for the player, not some negotiation tool to get him punted early :lol: that “deal” isn’t something that exists. The only way out of a contract early, is to pay it off in full. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Hairy Nugget said:

Absolutely right. Very good player over the years 

36 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

:spoton:

3 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

🤔

👍

Would / should have

Would of 👎

Thanks Christophe ...... 

This. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

A contracts a contract. A testimonial is something a club may offer a player out of love for the player, not some negotiation tool to get him punted early :lol: that “deal” isn’t something that exists. The only way out of a contract early, is to pay it off in full. 

Yeah because deals can’t be renegotiated, a testimonial would’ve probably got him more money than his deducted wage last season, especially seeing as he would’ve also been playing for another team. 
Naismith is thinking about retirement, in your alleged expert legal opinion do you think the only way out of his contract is for us to pay him his full £420k 😆😂?!?!

Stick to tje happy clapping and crying at videos. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Both those finals are massive what could of beens. Both his errors. 

That may be so...... but he's far from the only Hearts player in 2019 & 2020 whose errors cost us goals.   

Overall, a fantastic  defender for Hearts & Scotland.    Maybe McGlynn will contact Robbie next year about organising a testimonial for him (Raith v Hearts).

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah because deals can’t be renegotiated, a testimonial would’ve probably got him more money than his deducted wage last season, especially seeing as he would’ve also been playing for another team. 
Naismith is thinking about retirement, in your alleged expert legal opinion do you think the only way out of his contract is for us to pay him his full £420k 😆😂?!?!

Stick to tje happy clapping and crying at videos. 

When have you ever heard about a players deal being “renegotiated” without his consent ??? You think Berra would just accept “we’ll give you a testimonial in a few years when crowds are maybe allowed back” vs his legally binding, contractually owed earnings? 

That’s retirement - and it will be written into the contract what he gets if he retires. 

Berra didn’t retire he intended to continue playing. So was due his wages in full. Unless the club wanted to terminate or send him on loan or whatever. To unilaterally terminate the contract you are liable to pay off its full value. See Gareth Bale at real. Why’ve they just not “renegotiated” with him to pay him less than his £600k a week??

What videos?? You’re on another planet today :lol: 

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

That may be so...... but he's far from the only Hearts player in 2019 & 2020 whose errors cost us goals.   

Overall, a fantastic  defender for Hearts & Scotland.    Maybe McGlynn will contact Robbie next year about organising a testimonial for him (Raith v Hearts).

we had Celtic rattled in 2019. Let Eduaord right on through, practically signalled him on through to goal like an air traffic controller 

59 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:laugh2:

Hope that is not laughing at the seriousness of my post.

probably a bit dramatic on my part, but if he kept his hands down at that corner, we’d have won the game in 90 minutes 2-1

20 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don't think a big crowd would of turned up against Wolves or Ipswich for Berra. Think testimonials are a thing of the past now just a glorified training match. 

The only exception I would have is Hearts v Leeds or a Hearts 2006 v Hearts 2012 ex players and current players for Zal  

Mister Dee

Really good guy, & committed Hearts man. 
Gutted for him that the last two years were disappointing, but was a fantastic asset to us. 

Good luck, wherever he goes from here. 

Uncle Buck

He put in some of the best defensive displays I’ve seen from a Hearts player, and always felt more confident with his name on the team sheet.

Sadly age has caught up with him in the last couple of years.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I don't think a big crowd would of turned up against Wolves or Ipswich for Berra. Think testimonials are a thing of the past now just a glorified training match. 

The only exception I would have is Hearts v Leeds or a Hearts 2006 v Hearts 2012 ex players and current players for Zal  

I think if you had some of his old teammates play you never know, Rudi/Hartley etc. 

It's been evident for a while that he's done at this level but he's been a brilliant player for us. His commitment and professionalism during games is second to none and puts to shame many of the jokers we have signed over the last 10-15 years who should never have been anywhere near a Hearts shirt.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

When have you ever heard about a players deal being “renegotiated” without his consent ??? You think Berra would just accept “we’ll give you a testimonial in a few years when crowds are maybe allowed back” vs his legally binding, contractually owed earnings? 

🤣 That’s retirement - and it will be written into the contract what he gets if he retires. 

Berra didn’t retire he intended to continue playing. So was due his wages in full. Unless the club wanted to terminate or send him on loan or whatever. To unilaterally terminate the contract you are liable to pay off its full value. See Gareth Bale at real. Why’ve they just not “renegotiated” with him to pay him less than his £600k a week??

What videos?? You’re on another planet today :lol: 

What part of negotiating don’t you understand? 
You said the only way out of a contract is to pay it up in full, that’s just not true as you prove by saying if Naismith retires 🤔😆
It happens all the time in football with players and managers I’m afraid, you think Dundee United paid Mellon off for him to take the Tranmere job a week later?

You just keep backing the club in everything it does, happy clapping got us back into the Championship whilst losing millions of our money. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Sad end, the day he crashed out with that injury against Celtic was fatal to his previous level of performance 

40 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

That sounds incredible tbh, Rudi would need to change sides at half time of course

Robbie Neilsons testimonial, with a selection of 98 and 06 cup winners was brilliant 

Holyrood_Hearts

I do feel a bit bad he’s left on a sour note. However a lot of this is his doing. 

13 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

That sounds incredible tbh, Rudi would need to change sides at half time of course

Robbie Neilsons testimonial, with a selection of 98 and 06 cup winners was brilliant 

It would be something else mate they could have ex players who never played within these squads also to play 

Ryan Stevenson 

Kevin Kyle 

Would jump at the chance of wearing the maroon again one more time - I'd imagine Stevo will end up playing in our legends team when they take teams on for charity. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

31 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He put in some of the best defensive displays I’ve seen from a Hearts player, and always felt more confident with his name on the team sheet.

Sadly age has caught up with him in the last couple of years.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Ditto. All the best to Christophe. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

What part of negotiating don’t you understand? 
You said the only way out of a contract is to pay it up in full, that’s just not true as you prove by saying if Naismith retires 🤔😆
It happens all the time in football with players and managers I’m afraid, you think Dundee United paid Mellon off for him to take the Tranmere job a week later?

You just keep backing the club in everything it does, happy clapping got us back into the Championship whilst losing millions of our money. 

I don’t back the club in everything it does, who knows what planet you are living on.

I slated the ian cathro appointment and called for his sack in February 2018 after he lost 2-1 to Partick following his pathetic cup derby loss. Plenty of fans gave me pelters at the time called me a reactionary. I didn’t want a ****ing rookie in the job, when we were sitting 2nd when neilson left. Basically any experienced manager would have got us Europe that season but we were so smart to go for the visionary unknown Cathro. 

Also favoured sacking Levein from Livi 5-0 onwards. Took 10 more months but we got there. Who needs to get into that now. Everyone wanted the prick gone. 

Given the club PLENTY of pelters over the last few years. 

I also opposed giving Berra this contract extension in the first ****ing place. For exactly this reason. As per above in this very thread. He was finished 2-3 years ago but a contract locks you in to paying the player his full wage for the duration of the contract. Unless he accepts a severance package or early termination. You’re right we could maybe negotiate with him. And pay him a 6 figure lump sum of instead, maybe he’d take 70% of his contract value or whatever. But you think Berra would accept early termination of a £3500 per week contract for some vague promise of maybe a testimonial in a few years at some unknown date? Cloud cuckoo land chat that is. 

Also opposed the appointment of stendel as I felt it was the wrong choice for a relegation scrap. So it proved. Plenty of other options would have kept hearts up. You talk about how easy it was to get Hearts promoted this season. Why not look at how easy it would’ve been to keep us up last season. Neilson would’ve kept us up. Hartley, McCann, McCall, Wright, Jeffries, Robinson. Pick a name from the spfl merry go round or ex hearts merry go round. Pick a name any name. Would’ve probably kept Hearts up. But our genius club instead went 6 weeks ****ing around to give another PE teacher mcphee and audition, only to then eventually hire stendel but not his assistants, and down we went. 

So GTF with your pish Pasquale. I have dished out plenty of pelters for the poor management of the club in recent years. But this season? ****ing hell, for the first time in about 5 years ONE thing has gone right. We’ve won promotion. And your frothing about it for some reason. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don’t back the club in everything it does, who knows what planet you are living on.

I slated the ian cathro appointment and called for his sack in February 2018 after he lost 2-1 to Partick following his pathetic cup derby loss. Plenty of fans gave me pelters at the time called me a reactionary. I didn’t want a ****ing rookie in the job, when we were sitting 2nd when neilson left. Basically any experienced manager would have got us Europe that season but we were so smart to go for the visionary unknown Cathro. 

Also favoured sacking Levein from Livi 5-0 onwards. Took 10 more months but we got there. Who needs to get into that now. Everyone wanted the prick gone. 

Given the club PLENTY of pelters over the last few years. 

I also opposed giving Berra this contract extension in the first ****ing place. For exactly this reason. As per above in this very thread. He was finished 2-3 years ago but a contract locks you in to paying the player his full wage for the duration of the contract. Unless he accepts a severance package or early termination. You’re right we could maybe negotiate with him. And pay him a 6 figure lump sum of instead, maybe he’d take 70% of his contract value or whatever. But you think Berra would accept early termination of a £3500 per week contract for some vague promise of maybe a testimonial in a few years at some unknown date? Cloud cuckoo land chat that is. 

Also opposed the appointment of stendel as I felt it was the wrong choice for a relegation scrap. So it proved. Plenty of other options would have kept hearts up. You talk about how easy it was to get Hearts promoted this season. Why not look at how easy it would’ve been to keep us up last season. Neilson would’ve kept us up. Hartley, McCann, McCall, Wright, Jeffries, Robinson. Pick a name from the spfl merry go round or ex hearts merry go round. Pick a name any name. Would’ve probably kept Hearts up. But our genius club instead went 6 weeks ****ing around to give another PE teacher mcphee and audition, only to then eventually hire stendel but not his assistants, and down we went. 

So GTF with your pish Pasquale. I have dished out plenty of pelters for the poor management of the club in recent years. But this season? ****ing hell, for the first time in about 5 years ONE thing has gone right. We’ve won promotion. And your frothing about it for some reason. 

More abuse, good stuff. 
I didn’t want Levein to get the job, Celtic win apart nothing showed he was up to it. Glad most folk finally got there, hopefully you will with Neilson too, Brora was worse than Livi. 
It’s all speculation that any manager would’ve kept us up, or that Stendel would’ve got us relegated. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

we had Celtic rattled in 2019. Let Eduaord right on through, practically signalled him on through to goal like an air traffic controller 

Hope that is not laughing at the seriousness of my post.

probably a bit dramatic on my part, but if he kept his hands down at that corner, we’d have won the game in 90 minutes 2-1

👍

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

More abuse, good stuff. 
I didn’t want Levein to get the job, Celtic win apart nothing showed he was up to it. Glad most folk finally got there, hopefully you will with Neilson too, Brora was worse than Livi. 
It’s all speculation that any manager would’ve kept us up, or that Stendel would’ve got us relegated. 

End of the day you’ve got to be thankful in a way that Levein did take the job. If he didn’t he would probably still be the director of football making the blunder appointments and signings

Hopefully you are now well clear that I’m not just backing everything the club does mindlessly. I have slated the club plenty. But as of right now. Hearts are promoted back to the premier and we’ve got 2 new men Mckinley and Savage, occupying Leveins old roles at the club and on the board. So I am looking forwards not back. When all is said and done, promotion not cups was the critically important mission this season. 

As for Brora I was on board with the sack seethe and was absolutely fuming at Neilson. But things settled a bit and it was pretty obvious to me that the club wasn’t going to sack him sat 1st in the table. Just ridiculous to actually think that was anywhere near enough, if you think it through. But in terms of what it’s done to my expectations and pressure I put Robbie under now for next season? It is massive pressure cooker. The atmosphere at Hearts is as intense now as it has been in many many years. So give Robbie the chance to regroup and grow next season. He will be acutely aware of the pressure he is under to put a serious Hearts team together, the team for the post Levein era. This is a major moment for the club so he’s got my backing. I watched basically his whole career, I will back him to rise to the challenge. Hopefully I won’t “get there” with him. Hopefully he grabs his chance and succeeds. With the 20 odd dross players he has emptied and few decent players he’s got available Soapy, mceneff, Haring, GMS, Ginelly? There is an opportunity next season to spring a few surprises imo. 

One essential thing, getting back vaguely to the topic, is to find the next Berra. Easier said than done. We’ve not produced a single quality Center half since him, that is the more alarming thing than anything for me. 18 years on from Christophe’s debut the best we’ve done is Brad McKay and Jordan McGhee. Poor. 

jambo-in-furness

He never recovered from the injury sustained against Celtic,  he was still under contract,  and as far as I’m concerned it wasn’t his fault we never adequately filled the gap,  hence he was picked for the big cup finals.

When he was fit,  he was a stalwart,  good luck in the future Christophe.