What derby game did Hearts fans applaud Andy Goram?

Deodato

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Tynecastle rises to acclaim Hibs keeper Goram

When a Hearts crowd rises to acclaim a Hibs player during an Edinburgh derby then perhaps you should start looking for a blue moon in the sky or a month of Tuesdays.

Yet it did happen on Saturday at Tynecastle, where Hearts continued their domination over their old city rivals with a convincing and stylish 3-1 win.

Long after other details of this derby are forgotten, however, the performance of Hibs’ goalkeeper, Andy Goram, will remain vivid. He was simply magnificent. It was a display filled with acrobatics, uncanny instinct, courage, and determination.

It saved Hibs from what could probably have been their most humiliating defeat in almost 100 years of Edinburgh derbies

It also showed that brilliance can overcome bigotry. How could one ever forget the spontaneous reaction from the Hearts fans five minutes from the end.

Scott Crabbe lashed a glorious volley towards the right-hand corner of the goal but, amazingly, Goram got to it to perform what was his final act of defiance on a day when he almost single-handedly defied Hearts.

After a split second of silent wonder the maroon end of the ground erupted in a long burst of applause as they chanted the keeper’s name. It was a fitting tribute to a very special performance.

“Scotland don’t have much of a problem as far as the goalkeeping position is concerned,” said Hearts manager Joe Jordan. “He was quite magnificent

Hearts performed well – the best since he took over, admitted the manager.

They were more determined, much higher in confidence and so far ahead of anaemic Hibs in almost every department.

Only Goram stood between them and a goal avalanche.As it was, all the goals were crammed into a nine-minute spell in the second half, beginning in 56 minutes when Davie McPherson got to an Eamonn Bannon free kick and knocked the ball across the six-yard area for Craig Levein to head home his third goal against Hibs this season.

Four minutes later, immediately after Hibs had made a double substitution, Hearts grabbed a second when young George Wright got the break of the ball off a defender and steered a low drive inside the right-hand post.

Joe Tortolano then raised Hibs hopes with a fine headed goal before Hearts put the issue beyond doubt.

Goram’s only mistake of the game saw him lose a cross from John Colquhoun, leaving John Robertson with the simple task of heading the ball into the net.

Hibs just didn’t seem to have the stomach to come back again

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/maroon-memories-tynecastle-rises-acclaim-hibs-keeper-goram-313987

Been looking for that for years, bud.

Nice one.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• ri Alban

• Hearts Heritage

• Pasquale for King

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Martoon. I think the chant was ‘one Andy Goram’ which is quite ironic given later events😂

I could be wrong though. 

Definitely "Give us a wave, BB".

There seems to be a consensus that it was "One Andy..." but I'm 100% sure it was the former.

And I am unanimous in that. 😄

been here before
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

There seems to be a consensus that it was "One Andy..." but I'm 100% sure it was the former.

It was both.

6 minutes ago, martoon said:

I thought it was 2 Andy Gorams, No? 

1 minute ago, been here before said:

It was both.

Happy to go with that, bud.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I thought it was 2 Andy Gorams, No? 

Perhaps.

The "give us a wave" was definitely sung and @been here beforemay well have solved it. 😊

Pasquale for King

It was at Tynecastle late 80s early 90s, absolutely hammered them 3-0 or 3-1. Whole Shed starting singing his name and he waved back. One of the best GK performances I’ve ever seen. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, martoon said:

Both I think 😆

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, martoon said:

Incredible afternoon.

Absolutely ridiculous it was 0-0 at half time. We should have been 2, maybe 3 up by then.

Attacking the school end in the 2nd half we cranked it up a gear and Craig Levien ('56) and George Wright ('60) had us 2-0 ahead. The Hibs legend, and apparently also super, Joe Tortolano ('64) pulled one back then John Robertson ('65) restored our fully justified comfortable lead. Ten minutes of limbs and mayhem in the shed.

After that it was shooting practice. 

Scott Crabbe might have had a hat-trick, Robbo & JC fired in attempts on goal and Hearts looked like scoring every time we came forward.

Sadly, Andy Goram, who physically didn't look capable of such heroics, turned in a Superman-like performance in the time that followed Hearts third. It really was goalkeeping of a kind I've never seen before or since. In person or on TV.

In the dying minutes, as it became clear that we'd have to settle for 3-1, the Hearts support in the shed, myself included, displayed an act of sportsmanship I never though I'd see and haven't since.

"Andy, Andy, give us a wave" was the chant. Goram turned, looked a bit sceptical and bemused, and turned back to the game.

The chant, if anything, became louder. Goram turned again and, realising the chant was respectful and sincere, gave the Hearts support the thumbs up sign which was warmly applauded.

I remember walking back out into McLeod Street and mates and I were shaking our heads in disbelief. 3-1 is a great win in the derby, I'd take it everytime, but any joy and happiness that day was tinged with thoughts of what might have been.

Still is to this day, for me.

We've let them off the hook quite a few times over the last 35 years but that really was the one that got away.

It will come. Hearts' excellent derby record, Hibs' terror of the fixture; it will all come together one day. Probably when least expected.

Spot on 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on 

All from memory.

Didn't have to look up the goalscorers or timings.

I'd do Hearts on Mastermind if it wasn't for that bloody general knowledge bit. 😄

It’s the best goalkeeping performance I’ve ever seen in what was probably the most one-sided derby I’ve ever seen (and there’s a shitload of competition). We’ve let them off the hook plenty times but this game doesn’t fall into that category - Goram was immense. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Did AG not jump in to help wee Robbo, when he was attacked by filth? 

He did. Helped Robbo hold him still for the Hearts fan to smack him in the face :rofl:

Andy Goram was a very good cricket player as well and often turned out on a Sunday for his cricket team. He was told to give it up when he moved to the hun.

On the subject of singing the praises of hibs - I recall not that long ago when the hibs team came back out for the 2nd half of a game at Easter Road, the Hearts end sang glory glory to the hibees, thereby confusing the hibs fans and players somewhat. Think we were 2 - 0 up and coasting. Obviously won :D

2 minutes ago, Dunks said:

He did. Helped Robbo hold him still for the Hearts fan to smack him in the face :rofl:

Andy Goram was a very good cricket player as well and often turned out on a Sunday for his cricket team. He was told to give it up when he moved to the hun.

On the subject of singing the praises of hibs - I recall not that long ago when the hibs team came back out for the 2nd half of a game at Easter Road, the Hearts end sang glory glory to the hibees, thereby confusing the hibs fans and players somewhat. Think we were 2 - 0 up and coasting. Obviously won :D

We always win. :D

6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

At full time we had scored more goals at Easter road than hibs had. In January 😂

They really are pish. 

:fth:

2 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The C-Patz derby that nudged Hibs closer to their relegation play off and day of destiny.

Another brilliant p-take. 😄

queensferryjambo
4 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

He saved a shot from Crabbe in the top corner that defied logic. A volley from memory. 

He saved 2 incredible shots from Crabbe late on.

Sure he saved from Bannon and Robertson very early in the game as well. 

The pink newspaper also said Hearts could have went into double figures if not for Goram and they were right.

I am also going to be controversial and contradict the newspaper reports. I don’t think Hearts fans sung ‘there’s only one Andy Goram’ I am sure they sung ‘Andy Andy, Andy Andy’ just like we would sing Henry Henry

Auldbenches
50 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I think that was a 3-1 game.  We cheered them coming out for the second half, cheered their consolation goal and sang there's only one Alex Miller.   I'm sure we wished them all a happy new year as well.   

Though this was nothing compared to the shoes off game.  Wasn't at that game but laughed like feck. 

Back to playing those barstewards this season.  

Edited by Auldbenches

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

I remember Goram at Tynecastle when he'd left Hibs and joined Rangers. Scott Crabbe scored from some way out and Goram thought it was going wide but it slipped in behind him. Game finished 1-0 Hearts. He got it as tight as i've ever heard any keeper get at Tynie. Being ex-Hibs helped. That would've been 1991 (Crabbe leaving for Dundee Utd in 1992) 

Goram was a decent keeper to be fair, Hibs paid £325k or around that amount to Oldham Athletic for him. (1987 or '88)

I don't remember Goram being applauded by the Hearts fans in a game against Hibs. Not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it. Maybe i'd left in injury/stoppage time.

Both things happened

andythejambo
2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I had no idea either but his personal life was chaotic. 

Sure he was living in an old caravan near Penicuik at one point. 

Indeed he was. It was around this time that he started wearing the pink strapping round his knees. Rumour has it that he owed someone on the dark side gambling debts and a "team" were sent to "persuade" him to pay. It was also rumoured that Hibs retained his cut of the transfer fee to "Oldco" to cover other debts.

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

He played for Penicuik and Scotland. I used to play and when we played Penicuik they told us he was a complete *****. He was a batsman and bowled at a good pace. When kids were facing him in the nets he would bowl bouncers at full pace and aim to hit them on the basis that if they couldn't handle it they shouldn't be in the ****ing nets

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Incredible afternoon.

Absolutely ridiculous it was 0-0 at half time. We should have been 2, maybe 3 up by then.

Attacking the school end in the 2nd half we cranked it up a gear and Craig Levien ('56) and George Wright ('60) had us 2-0 ahead. The Hibs legend, and apparently also super, Joe Tortolano ('64) pulled one back then John Robertson ('65) restored our fully justified comfortable lead. Ten minutes of limbs and mayhem in the shed.

After that it was shooting practice. 

Scott Crabbe might have had a hat-trick, Robbo & JC fired in attempts on goal and Hearts looked like scoring every time we came forward.

Sadly, Andy Goram, who physically didn't look capable of such heroics, turned in a Superman-like performance in the time that followed Hearts third. It really was goalkeeping of a kind I've never seen before or since. In person or on TV.

In the dying minutes, as it became clear that we'd have to settle for 3-1, the Hearts support in the shed, myself included, displayed an act of sportsmanship I never though I'd see and haven't since.

"Andy, Andy, give us a wave" was the chant. Goram turned, looked a bit sceptical and bemused, and turned back to the game.

The chant, if anything, became louder. Goram turned again and, realising the chant was respectful and sincere, gave the Hearts support the thumbs up sign which was warmly applauded.

I remember walking back out into McLeod Street and mates and I were shaking our heads in disbelief. 3-1 is a great win in the derby, I'd take it everytime, but any joy and happiness that day was tinged with thoughts of what might have been.

Still is to this day, for me.

We've let them off the hook quite a few times over the last 35 years but that really was the one that got away.

It will come. Hearts' excellent derby record, Hibs' terror of the fixture; it will all come together one day. Probably when least expected.

Very true . Last 2 paragraphs for sure. We will give them a severe roasting and not take the boot of the neck. FTH

48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I arrived late for this game. Was half time before I knew we were actually one nil up :rofl:

34 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Very true . Last 2 paragraphs for sure. We will give them a severe roasting and not take the boot of the neck. FTH

It's overdue, Monty.

Long overdue.

FTH

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The dummy by Hibs No 2 for our first goal. 😂

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was at Tynecastle late 80s early 90s, absolutely hammered them 3-0 or 3-1. Whole Shed starting singing his name and he waved back. One of the best GK performances I’ve ever seen. 

Never seen Jim Cruickshank play then? 😉

merseyjambo

Gorman had 2 or 3 blinders against us.

A few of my mates who are Hibs fans, rated his performance in a 1-1 at Tynecastle even better than that one. 

I think Gary Mackay got our equaliser that day. One of them even said he was glad when we scored because he’d never felt pressure like that before. It was somewhere in the run of 21 and think it was either an October or November.

They all love the fat goalie and reckon that 1-1 game was his best performance against us as he kept them in with a chance of breaking the run for so long that day.

Hectormasson
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on 

Seemingly George Wright made a fortune doing satellite TV???...

Very grateful for all these memories, footage and journalism.

Seeing Dave McPherson play brings back memories. The creation of the pass back rule affected him more than most, unfortunately. 

The song 'there's only two Andy Goram's' - I remember that one well. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Never seen Jim Cruickshank play then? 😉

Yeah of course but I was just a kid, my first Hearts hero. 

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah of course but I was just a kid, my first Hearts hero. 

👍

will-i-am-a-jambo
9 hours ago, LeftBack said:

It's one if you weren't there you wouldn't have believed it. Imo goram is best player I have ever seen. Better than gazza, Laudrup, Berry

No way is Goram better than Neil Berry lm not having it!

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

A few of my mates who are Hibs fans, rated his performance in a 1-1 at Tynecastle even better than that one. 

I think Gary Mackay got our equaliser that day. One of them even said he was glad when we scored because he’d never felt pressure like that before. It was somewhere in the run of 21 and think it was either an October or November.

They all love the fat goalie and reckon that 1-1 game was his best performance against us as he kept them in with a chance of breaking the run for so long that day.

The game on the 2nd of January 1988 at Tynecastle was one of Goram's Hearts defying days.

Finished 0-0 but a comfortable 2 or 3-0 win would not have flattered us in any way.

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The dummy by Hibs No 2 for our first goal. 😂

And love the Hibs singing being silenced by the last goal and our cheers. The singing - they Hibsed it!

Restonbabe
17 hours ago, R1874 said:

Genuine question for those who have seen both - was Goram better than Gordon? 

I'd say so. 

His ability to read players shots before they even hit it was phenomenal. 

Go an look on YouTube at his greatest saves 

Салатные палочки

I remember Goram making a couple of great reflex saves v. Holland at Euro 96 to help us earn a respectable draw. 

I have to say, all rivalries aside, he is the best Scottish keeper of my lifetime. 

10 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

There was a Derby in Nov 1990. 1-1. Can’t recall how well Goram played mind. It was the Derby after the 3-0 trouncing at ER in Sept that year. Hibs casuals turned up en masse and were at it with the old bill during the game. And after !

3-1 game was outrageous in terms of goalkeeping tho. Was in School End for both and it was mental how he got to some of those chances.

Cairneyhill Jambo
17 hours ago, DMR123 said:

The other one I remember the Hearts fans applauding was when Frank MCDougall scored a classy first half hatrick against us playing for Aberdeen (late 80’s?).

I remember that game well as it was my first ever Hearts game. It was a midweek game and Mcdougall was unstoppable that game. 

11 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Seemingly George Wright made a fortune doing satellite TV???...

Yes, he worked as a presenter with that blonde lassie Jo Guest on a tv show in Jamaica. The old Granada Men & Motors channel on satellite. He later did football agent work. No idea where he is or what he does now. Haven't heard of him in years!

Just clicked Jo Guest in YouTube and there he was presenting with her. She was tidier than i remembered!

Edited by jambonian

My hun supporting mate took me to a night in an East Kilbride pub where Goram was speaking along with Graham Roberts.

Goram told a story that when playing at Tynecastle he walked out in a new all white strip. Whilst warming up at the school end someone shouted

“hey Goram you look vaginal.”

Goram replied “don’t you mean virginal?”

”naw” , came the reply… “you look like a ****in’ *****”

On 31/05/2021 at 12:38, been here before said:

March 91  Hearts 3  Hibs 1

The Shed singing "There's only one Andy Goram" as he pulled off save after save, some of them truly world class. His initial unsure reaction to it made it all the better before it dawned on him we were serious and he applauded us back at full time.

Its no exageration to say it could easily have been 10 that day without a doubt. The best display of keeping Ive ever seen in real life or on TV, it was phenominal. I've never heard of or seen an opposition player, let alone a Hibs player, acknowledged like that. It just struck me as being a bit classy all round.

I've never seen highlights or a replay from that day. Does such a thing exist?

Exactly how I remember it. The man was unreal that afternoon.

On 31/05/2021 at 11:28, Deodato said:

Genuine question. 

Reading 'Banderson's' article about how Stevie Clarke has a (positive) dilemma with Gordon and Marshall for the Euro's, and there's a pic with Leighton and Goram from 1996. My dad told me once about a derby game around that time where Hearts threw everything and the kitchen sink at Goram and he stopped the lot. At the full time whistle the Hearts fans applauded the Hibs keeper. Anyone got YouTube footage or memories of the match?

Deodato

I was at that game, and it happened all right. Goram was on ridiculous form, despite being beaten three times.

Skippy Doodle

Unfortunately do not have any footage from the 3-1 match but do have over 100 video clips from other derbies on this playlist

On 01/06/2021 at 17:38, EK JAMBO said:

My hun supporting mate took me to a night in an East Kilbride pub where Goram was speaking along with Graham Roberts.

Goram told a story that when playing at Tynecastle he walked out in a new all white strip. Whilst warming up at the school end someone shouted

“hey Goram you look vaginal.”

Goram replied “don’t you mean virginal?”

”naw” , came the reply… “you look like a ****in’ *****”

Classic - love these stories. Care to fill in the gaps - wheel of fortune style 🙂

8 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Classic - love these stories. Care to fill in the gaps - wheel of fortune style 🙂

Oops. Said he looked like a feckin f@nny.