What derby game did Hearts fans applaud Andy Goram?

Deodato

Genuine question. 

Reading 'Banderson's' article about how Stevie Clarke has a (positive) dilemma with Gordon and Marshall for the Euro's, and there's a pic with Leighton and Goram from 1996. My dad told me once about a derby game around that time where Hearts threw everything and the kitchen sink at Goram and he stopped the lot. At the full time whistle the Hearts fans applauded the Hibs keeper. Anyone got YouTube footage or memories of the match?

Deodato

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• ri Alban

• Hearts Heritage

• Pasquale for King

David Black
3 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Genuine question. 

Reading 'Banderson's' article about how Stevie Clarke has a (positive) dilemma with Gordon and Marshall for the Euro's, and there's a pic with Leighton and Goram from 1996. My dad told me once about a derby game around that time where Hearts threw everything and the kitchen sink at Goram and he stopped the lot. At the full time whistle the Hearts fans applauded the Hibs keeper. Anyone got YouTube footage or memories of the match?

Deodato

I was there but cannot remember when it was. Goram was fantastic. I also remember a game at Tynecastle when the reverse happened with both Hearts and Hibs fans chanting " Cruikshank for Scotland" after Cruikie had had an equally fantastic game against the 70's Hibs side. He saved a penalty and the 2 follow ups. Game ended 0-0. 

True story, Andy Goram and Paul Kane once pulled me and my dad over on the way to a derby match and nicked my Hearts scarf through the car window!!!

(boring bit is my dad knew them, and they were just taking the piss, but I was still pretty miffed as an 10/11 yearold or whatever!).  I actually wonder if it might have been this game - maybe my scarf brought him some luck (yes, a 3-1 defeat in a derby is lucky for Hibs).

I believe Andy Goram signs email (us/them)

adambraejambo

Typical Hibs. We ragdolled them in the Gorum game but from our 4 games against them that season it still only my 3rd fav.

We also had the Mercer game and a 4-1 win at Easter road . 

been here before

March 91  Hearts 3  Hibs 1

The Shed singing "There's only one Andy Goram" as he pulled off save after save, some of them truly world class. His initial unsure reaction to it made it all the better before it dawned on him we were serious and he applauded us back at full time.

Its no exageration to say it could easily have been 10 that day without a doubt. The best display of keeping Ive ever seen in real life or on TV, it was phenominal. I've never heard of or seen an opposition player, let alone a Hibs player, acknowledged like that. It just struck me as being a bit classy all round.

I've never seen highlights or a replay from that day. Does such a thing exist?

Carl Fredrickson
41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If my memory serves me right, this game was on BSKYB. I got my ticket from John Menzies on Princess Street, either the day of the game or a day or so before. Dont know if our ticket office was closed but I remember having to go to a wee desk upstairs in JM to buy a ticket.

Re Andy Goram, a truly magnificent keeper. Could go 89 minutes doing nowt for Rangers and then pull off a world class save. Saved the Hobos many a hiding too.

Auldbenches

I was right behind the goals to see him save two excellent efforts from scott Crabbe.  I remember him looking at the Hearts fans to see if we were taking the pish.  They were excellent saves.  

Scott Crabbe had around eight attempts on target - many in the top corner - but Goram saved them all. Ironically, George Wright sclaffed one from 20 yards in the bottom corner!  Crabbe could never score against Hibs - till he took a penalty for Falkirk (I think) and promptly got booked for over celebrating 😃

Although I am a Jambo (thought I'd get that one in early) I remember going to a game at Easter Road, in the away end with whoever the away support was (it wasn't Hearts) and I'm pretty sure Goram scored from a goal kick! It bounced over the keeper.

Might be too much to expect anyone on here to know if I recall correctly but promise I won't accuse anyone of being a Hibee interloper if anyone can confirm!

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, David Black said:

I was there but cannot remember when it was. Goram was fantastic. I also remember a game at Tynecastle when the reverse happened with both Hearts and Hibs fans chanting " Cruikshank for Scotland" after Cruikie had had an equally fantastic game against the 70's Hibs side. He saved a penalty and the 2 follow ups. Game ended 0-0. 

Joe Davis took the penalty if I remember correctly.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

If my memory serves me right, this game was on BSKYB. I got my ticket from John Menzies on Princess Street, either the day of the game or a day or so before. Dont know if our ticket office was closed but I remember having to go to a wee desk upstairs in JM to buy a ticket.

Re Andy Goram, a truly magnificent keeper. Could go 89 minutes doing nowt for Rangers and then pull off a world class save. Saved the Hobos many a hiding too.

I was in hospitality that day and got told off every 10 minutes by the stewards because the hospitality was supposed to be neutral. 

It's one if you weren't there you wouldn't have believed it. Imo goram is best player I have ever seen. Better than gazza, Laudrup, Berry, 

1 minute ago, R1874 said:

Genuine question for those who have seen both - was Goram better than Gordon? 

Goram. 

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, been here before said:

The Shed singing "There's only one Andy Goram" as he pulled off save after save, some of them truly world class. His initial unsure reaction to it made it all the better before it dawned on him we were serious and he applauded us back at full time.

Its no exageration to say it could easily have been 10 that day without a doubt. The best display of keeping Ive ever seen in real life or on TV, it was phenominal. I've never heard of or seen an opposition player, let alone a Hibs player, acknowledged like that. It just struck me as being a bit classy all round.

The only one I can remember was Henrik Larsson in a midweek game.  He scored a hatrick against us that night and was totally unplayable.  Probably the best display of an outfield player against us I've ever seen.  It was freezing and pissing down with sleet/snow as well.

Heartsofgold
10 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Hate to say it but Goram.  He was genuinely world class, and actually quite short by keepers standards,  although Gordon is a fantastic keeper.

11 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Goram was a class keeper. Probably the best Scotland’s ever produced in my lifetime.  Some of his saves were just unbelievable and it was no shock oldco bought him. I think they got him for £1m which was robbery.

For someone who wasn’t tall as well

Churchill Barrier
7 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Hate to say it but Goram.  He was genuinely world class, and actually quite short by keepers standards,  although Gordon is a fantastic keeper.

I would judge over their entire careers, the fact Gordon will play into his 40 s having kept himself fit ( aside from an injury he could not prevent)

makes me say he is a better keeper. All round ability and as a person.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

As you have said. A goalkeeping performance of the highest standard. Remember it well. Goram was incredible that day. We could/should have had a lot more.🤬😡

millerjames398
17 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Think goram was only 5ft 10", but defied the laws of gravity getting to some shots..begrudgingly he was a top top goalkeeper..for a hibs *****😂🇱🇻

Heartsofgold
6 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

I would judge over their entire careers, the fact Gordon will play into his 40 s having kept himself fit ( aside from an injury he could not prevent)

makes me say he is a better keeper. All round ability and as a person.

As a person and a role model for kids, I agree 100%, Goram is/was a bit of a bawbag.  On pure ability though/  For me Goram just shades it.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Words out my mouth. Remember the game well. We should’ve scudded them. 

Its easy to show appreciation when you are winning (but a nice touch even at that) and I remember Goram slowly having a cagey look behind him before applauding us.  So, fair play to him.

Tough to do when you are on the losing team and It being a derby!  

15 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

As a person and a role model for kids, I agree 100%, Goram is/was a bit of a bawbag.  On pure ability though/  For me Goram just shades it.

Pretty sure CG said Goram was actually his idol even though he’s a JT.  

skinnybob72

Goram was every bit as important for Rangers (RIP...) as any of Laudrup, Gazza, etc when they were dominating up here. He looked quite short, and dare I say it chubby, for a keeper but it didn't stop him from being an exceptional keeper. As someone mentioned earlier he could have nothing to do all game and then produce an unbelievable save. 

It would have been interesting to see how he would have done in England or abroad had he chosen to leave Rangers in his prime. 

Savage Vince

Shootie in that day. Goram was immense. 

The hibs casuals also did a funny stormtrooper march along Gorgie Road before the match. 

3 hours ago, Deodato said:

Genuine question. 

Deodato

I remember Goram at Tynecastle when he'd left Hibs and joined Rangers. Scott Crabbe scored from some way out and Goram thought it was going wide but it slipped in behind him. Game finished 1-0 Hearts. He got it as tight as i've ever heard any keeper get at Tynie. Being ex-Hibs helped. That would've been 1991 (Crabbe leaving for Dundee Utd in 1992) 

Goram was a decent keeper to be fair, Hibs paid £325k or around that amount to Oldham Athletic for him. (1987 or '88)

I don't remember Goram being applauded by the Hearts fans in a game against Hibs. Not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it. Maybe i'd left in injury/stoppage time.

Edited by jambonian

GingaNinja

Goram or Gordon ........ the best keeper I've seen in the flesh was Antti Neimi. I was a ball boy at the 3-1 game. It should have been 10 if it wasn't for him. Unreal performance but Neimi in the rain against Motherwell not long after he joined, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better performance than that !!

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

It's one if you weren't there you wouldn't have believed it. Imo goram is best player I have ever seen. Better than gazza, Laudrup, Berry, 

Absolutely. I’d still go with Gazza as the best I’ve seen but wouldn’t even think for a second about Goram as my number 1 in the Scottish game, since I started watching in 1978.

I’ve seen Shilton, Buffon, Neuer etc live and obviously Scotland never peppered their goal so it’s hard to judge, I wouldn’t hesitate to hand Goram the gloves in my all football XI. 

Heartsofgold
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Pretty sure CG said Goram was actually his idol even though he’s a JT.  

As a keeper, no one better to idolise, he was magnificent.  As a person, no so much and maybe CG realised this and realised what he needed to do to become a player with longevity.

4 minutes ago, GingaNinja said:

Goram or Gordon ........ the best keeper I've seen in the flesh was Antti Neimi. I was a ball boy at the 3-1 game. It should have been 10 if it wasn't for him. Unreal performance but Neimi in the rain against Motherwell not long after he joined, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better performance than that !!

I remember i couldn't believe we'd signed Niemi. He was to be Rangers' no. 1 but Stefan Klos (i think it was) got the gig instead and Niemi signed for us (not sure of the transfer fee) for around £400k (?) That was still a bargain though.

Ah....the good old days when we actually paid for transfers!

been here before
8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I don't remember Goram being applauded by the Hearts fans in a game against Hibs. Not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it. Maybe i'd left in injury/stoppage time.

Tynecastle rises to acclaim Hibs keeper Goram

When a Hearts crowd rises to acclaim a Hibs player during an Edinburgh derby then perhaps you should start looking for a blue moon in the sky or a month of Tuesdays.

Yet it did happen on Saturday at Tynecastle, where Hearts continued their domination over their old city rivals with a convincing and stylish 3-1 win.

Long after other details of this derby are forgotten, however, the performance of Hibs’ goalkeeper, Andy Goram, will remain vivid. He was simply magnificent. It was a display filled with acrobatics, uncanny instinct, courage, and determination.

It saved Hibs from what could probably have been their most humiliating defeat in almost 100 years of Edinburgh derbies

It also showed that brilliance can overcome bigotry. How could one ever forget the spontaneous reaction from the Hearts fans five minutes from the end.

Scott Crabbe lashed a glorious volley towards the right-hand corner of the goal but, amazingly, Goram got to it to perform what was his final act of defiance on a day when he almost single-handedly defied Hearts.

After a split second of silent wonder the maroon end of the ground erupted in a long burst of applause as they chanted the keeper’s name. It was a fitting tribute to a very special performance.

“Scotland don’t have much of a problem as far as the goalkeeping position is concerned,” said Hearts manager Joe Jordan. “He was quite magnificent

Hearts performed well – the best since he took over, admitted the manager.

They were more determined, much higher in confidence and so far ahead of anaemic Hibs in almost every department.

Only Goram stood between them and a goal avalanche.As it was, all the goals were crammed into a nine-minute spell in the second half, beginning in 56 minutes when Davie McPherson got to an Eamonn Bannon free kick and knocked the ball across the six-yard area for Craig Levein to head home his third goal against Hibs this season.

Four minutes later, immediately after Hibs had made a double substitution, Hearts grabbed a second when young George Wright got the break of the ball off a defender and steered a low drive inside the right-hand post.

Joe Tortolano then raised Hibs hopes with a fine headed goal before Hearts put the issue beyond doubt.

Goram’s only mistake of the game saw him lose a cross from John Colquhoun, leaving John Robertson with the simple task of heading the ball into the net.

Hibs just didn’t seem to have the stomach to come back again

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/maroon-memories-tynecastle-rises-acclaim-hibs-keeper-goram-313987

Auldbenches
8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Tynecastle rises to acclaim Hibs keeper Goram

When a Hearts crowd rises to acclaim a Hibs player during an Edinburgh derby then perhaps you should start looking for a blue moon in the sky or a month of Tuesdays.

Yet it did happen on Saturday at Tynecastle, where Hearts continued their domination over their old city rivals with a convincing and stylish 3-1 win.

Long after other details of this derby are forgotten, however, the performance of Hibs’ goalkeeper, Andy Goram, will remain vivid. He was simply magnificent. It was a display filled with acrobatics, uncanny instinct, courage, and determination.

It saved Hibs from what could probably have been their most humiliating defeat in almost 100 years of Edinburgh derbies

It also showed that brilliance can overcome bigotry. How could one ever forget the spontaneous reaction from the Hearts fans five minutes from the end.

Scott Crabbe lashed a glorious volley towards the right-hand corner of the goal but, amazingly, Goram got to it to perform what was his final act of defiance on a day when he almost single-handedly defied Hearts.

After a split second of silent wonder the maroon end of the ground erupted in a long burst of applause as they chanted the keeper’s name. It was a fitting tribute to a very special performance.

“Scotland don’t have much of a problem as far as the goalkeeping position is concerned,” said Hearts manager Joe Jordan. “He was quite magnificent

Hearts performed well – the best since he took over, admitted the manager.

They were more determined, much higher in confidence and so far ahead of anaemic Hibs in almost every department.

Only Goram stood between them and a goal avalanche.As it was, all the goals were crammed into a nine-minute spell in the second half, beginning in 56 minutes when Davie McPherson got to an Eamonn Bannon free kick and knocked the ball across the six-yard area for Craig Levein to head home his third goal against Hibs this season.

Four minutes later, immediately after Hibs had made a double substitution, Hearts grabbed a second when young George Wright got the break of the ball off a defender and steered a low drive inside the right-hand post.

Joe Tortolano then raised Hibs hopes with a fine headed goal before Hearts put the issue beyond doubt.

Goram’s only mistake of the game saw him lose a cross from John Colquhoun, leaving John Robertson with the simple task of heading the ball into the net.

Hibs just didn’t seem to have the stomach to come back again

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/maroon-memories-tynecastle-rises-acclaim-hibs-keeper-goram-313987

Good find.  Thanks.  

4 hours ago, David Black said:

Did AG not jump in to help wee Robbo, when he was attacked by filth? 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

The other one I remember the Hearts fans applauding was when Frank MCDougall scored a classy first half hatrick against us playing for Aberdeen (late 80’s?).

David Black
2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Joe Davis took the penalty if I remember correctly.

I think your right and he hardly ever missed.

David Black
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did AG not jump in to help wee Robbo, when he was attacked by filth? 

If your thinking of the same game as me, the Hibby who attacked Robbo worked in the same office as me. He actually was a very decent guy. I think he knew Robbo as well.

1 minute ago, David Black said:

If your thinking of the same game as me, the Hibby who attacked Robbo worked in the same office as me. He actually was a very decent guy. I think he knew Robbo as well.

I hope you slapped him for his moment of madness. :D

David Black
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hope you slapped him for his moment of madness. :D

I think he slapped himself, he was that embarrassed by what he had done. As I say a really nice guy, but that's drink for you.

2 minutes ago, David Black said:

I think he slapped himself, he was that embarrassed by what he had done. As I say a really nice guy, but that's drink for you.

We all do silly shit, and if he knows he was wrong and embarrassed, that's part of the process. If he didn't give a **** he needed to see someone. 

Goram was world class and should have been Number 1 at France 98. I was disappointed he spat the dummy when bandied was picked over him. 

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I did was reading today that Goram asked Craig Brown if he could leave the World Cup camp before the games started as he had personal issues. Craig Brown was the interviewee. 

👍 Cheers for that, I had no idea he had personal issues. Always thought he spat the dummy over being dropped and Ally not being picked. 

Incredible afternoon.

Absolutely ridiculous it was 0-0 at half time. We should have been 2, maybe 3 up by then.

Attacking the school end in the 2nd half we cranked it up a gear and Craig Levien ('56) and George Wright ('60) had us 2-0 ahead. The Hibs legend, and apparently also super, Joe Tortolano ('64) pulled one back then John Robertson ('65) restored our fully justified comfortable lead. Ten minutes of limbs and mayhem in the shed.

After that it was shooting practice. 

Scott Crabbe might have had a hat-trick, Robbo & JC fired in attempts on goal and Hearts looked like scoring every time we came forward.

Sadly, Andy Goram, who physically didn't look capable of such heroics, turned in a Superman-like performance in the time that followed Hearts third. It really was goalkeeping of a kind I've never seen before or since. In person or on TV.

In the dying minutes, as it became clear that we'd have to settle for 3-1, the Hearts support in the shed, myself included, displayed an act of sportsmanship I never though I'd see and haven't since.

"Andy, Andy, give us a wave" was the chant. Goram turned, looked a bit sceptical and bemused, and turned back to the game.

The chant, if anything, became louder. Goram turned again and, realising the chant was respectful and sincere, gave the Hearts support the thumbs up sign which was warmly applauded.

I remember walking back out into McLeod Street and mates and I were shaking our heads in disbelief. 3-1 is a great win in the derby, I'd take it everytime, but any joy and happiness that day was tinged with thoughts of what might have been.

Still is to this day, for me.

We've let them off the hook quite a few times over the last 35 years but that really was the one that got away.

It will come. Hearts' excellent derby record, Hibs' terror of the fixture; it will all come together one day. Probably when least expected.

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, GingaNinja said:

I remember when we signed Neimi from rangers and thinking that he'd be alright.  Best keeper I had seen with us at that time by the time he left.  

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

I had no idea either but his personal life was chaotic. 

Sure he was living in an old caravan near Penicuik at one point. 

Andy Fordham was his best mate at one point. And both were a bit out of they're depth with the events in NI.