French Open Tennis and Naomi Osaka

milky_26

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Nice to see Djokovic giving his post-match on court spiel in French. :)

He pretty much does nothing wrong yet he still can't break into the media and supporter love in do the other two. 

I now hope he goes on to win this one, take Wimblers and the US open; sneak another ATP tour finals and then pick up the Aussie. The supporters still wouldn't love him but he could get a big middle finger design on his racquet strings and t-shirt. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

• JudyJudyJudy

• I P Knightley

7 hours ago, neilnunb said:

🤣

20-20 and he's still a few years left. Confident Nadal will be the greatest ever. 

Novak will one day be brought to the Hague for war crimes. Well he does look like one anyway. 

He was good in this, tho. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Maroon Sailor

1 set all in the women's final

Toilet breaker 4-3 up with a break in the decider

Maroon Sailor

Krejcikova wins 6-1 2-6 6-4

Spending another 8 minutes on the shitter pays off

Maroon Sailor

Aus           Fr            Wim         US

Federer     6              1                8             5

Nadal         1             13               2             4

Djokovic    9              1                5             3 

Djokovic on to win all 4 slams more than once and all 4 slams in a calendar year

Maroon Sailor

Tsitsipas 2 sets up on Djokovic 7-6 6-2

Time for Novak's magic water bottle 

JudyJudyJudy
On 11/06/2021 at 23:26, redjambo said:

Nice to see Djokovic giving his post-match on court spiel in French. :)

Yes that was nice . Serena Williams also does that too 

On 12/06/2021 at 15:58, Maroon Sailor said:

1 set all in the women's final

Toilet breaker 4-3 up with a break in the decider

Never watched it . Never heard of either finalist . Unsure if it was any good ? 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Harry Potter said:

Cmon Tsitsipas

Hes playing some great drop shots and passing shots and coming into the net a lot . Best way the thwart a base liner 

Maroon Sailor

Novak playing better since he left the court after the 2nd set for a toilet break, water bottle in tow of course.

20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Djokovic takes the 3rd set 6-3

Tsitsipas 2 sets to 1

Tsitsipas visibly wilting under the pressure, loads of unforced errors, looks like an easy run in for Djokovic.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Tsitsipas visibly wilting under the pressure, loads of unforced errors, looks like an easy run in for Djokovic.

I knew as soon as Novak went off for a "comfort" break at 2 sets down it was only going to go one way. He pulls that stunt quite a few times and he ends up cruising to victory.

Harry Potter
15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I knew as soon as Novak went off for a "comfort" break at 2 sets down it was only going to go one way. He pulls that stunt quite a few times and he ends up cruising to victory.

certainly cruisin now, will win it, 2 sets up and hes hibs it. 

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Whatever he did it certainly worked a treat.

Tsitsipas might as well go and sit in the khazi for 10 minutes, because unless something changes it's in the bag for Djokovic.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, fancy a brew said:

Whatever he did it certainly worked a treat.

Tsitsipas might as well go and sit in the khazi for 10 minutes, because unless something changes it's in the bag for Djokovic.

I'd get the sniffer dogs in, paying particular attention to plastic bottles in the vicinity of Novak's chair

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I'd get the sniffer dogs in, paying particular attention to plastic bottles in the vicinity of Novak's chair

😄

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Now now, he's very much a natural athlete. Those wheatgrass and green tea smoothies must be absolute rocket fuel. 😉

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

3-1 Djokovic final set

Calendar Grand Slam still on

Tbf its only the 2nd GS of the year 😁

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Tbf its only the 2nd GS of the year 😁

Who was the last person to win the first 2 in the same year ?

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Who was the last person to win the first 2 in the same year ?

On the men's? Djokovic 2016

Maroon Sailor

Djokovic won the first 2 slams

Only player to do that since Jim Courier in 1992

Djokovic held all 4 slams 2015 and 2016

I wouldn't put it past him to win Wimbledon and the US Open this year

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Djokovic wins 6-7 2-6 6-2 6-3 6-4

even gave the boy a 2 set start, still won easily

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

3-1 Djokovic final set

Calendar Grand Slam still on

Could be the Golden Slam if the Olympics go ahead.

Wimbledon's pretty likely to go Djokovic's way. Very few of the potential challengers have a strong enough grass court game. so you're really expecting the challenge to come from Nadal again and Djoko's all over him for grass.

The US is different. For some reason that I can't work out, it seems to be the one that levels up the competition the most. Medvedev, Zverev (if he feels like it), Tsitsipas, Thiem and a few others can mount convincing challenges.

You know how Sean Connery must have had the biggest ever milk round if all the folk who claim he was their grannie's milkman were true? Well, I've got a theory that the 'small village' that Djokovic grew up in is the biggest, busiest small village in the world. I spent the morning with a lad whose parents were born and raised in Serbia. Of course, his mum is best mates with Djoko's dad. I think I'm on 100% of Serbs I know who have a very, very close tie to the Djokovic family.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Wimbledon's pretty likely to go Djokovic's way. Very few of the potential challengers have a strong enough grass court game. so you're really expecting the challenge to come from Nadal again and Djoko's all over him for grass.

The US is different. For some reason that I can't work out, it seems to be the one that levels up the competition the most. Medvedev, Zverev (if he feels like it), Tsitsipas, Thiem and a few others can mount convincing challenges.

You know how Sean Connery must have had the biggest ever milk round if all the folk who claim he was their grannie's milkman were true? Well, I've got a theory that the 'small village' that Djokovic grew up in is the biggest, busiest small village in the world. I spent the morning with a lad whose parents were born and raised in Serbia. Of course, his mum is best mates with Djoko's dad. I think I'm on 100% of Serbs I know who have a very, very close tie to the Djokovic family.

That’s very true about the US open all the greats have won it multiple times . I think it’s because it’s playing on hard courts which most players have grown up playing ?  The discussion about Novak is interesting .  Although  I admire Dokeys playing style and his mental resilience I think it is  rather  early for  some to insist he is the greatest . Like Nadal and the French , Novak’s winning rate in slams is skewered by 9 Aussie opens . 

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s very true about the US open all the greats have won it multiple times . I think it’s because it’s playing on hard courts which most players have grown up playing ?  The discussion about Novak is interesting .  Although  I admire Dokeys playing style and his mental resilience I think it is  rather  early for  some to insist he is the greatest . Like Nadal and the French , Novak’s winning rate in slams is skewered by 9 Aussie opens . 

It's an odd one because the Aussie and the US are both played on essentially the same surface. There's no clear reason why he should be so much more successful on one than the other. I know that one has slightly faster courts than the other but the bounce characteristics aren't as unique as you get on clay or grass.

But, yes, I think the competition is more fierce at the US because the hard surface is the most commonplace in clubs and academies. Grass is so rare and grass courts of such variable quality, I figure it is only a matter of luck if someone's style suits it.

It's funny that each of the three of them has a Slam they'd be able to call their own: Nadal has Roland Garros; Djoko has Melbourne and Federer has Wimbledon but there isn't a "King of Flushing Meadows".

One other thing that Djoko has in his favour in the GOAT argument is his winning stats over Nadal (30 v 28) and Federer (27 v 23). I was surprised when looking this up that almost half of the matches between Djoko and Nadal have been on clay.

Maroon Sailor
10 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Can't see where the challenge at Wimbledon is coming from for Djokovic.

Federer has to be doubtful due to his surgeries. Maybe one last hurrah for him

US Open is open though

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

It's an odd one because the Aussie and the US are both played on essentially the same surface. There's no clear reason why he should be so much more successful on one than the other. I know that one has slightly faster courts than the other but the bounce characteristics aren't as unique as you get on clay or grass.

But, yes, I think the competition is more fierce at the US because the hard surface is the most commonplace in clubs and academies. Grass is so rare and grass courts of such variable quality, I figure it is only a matter of luck if someone's style suits it.

It's funny that each of the three of them has a Slam they'd be able to call their own: Nadal has Roland Garros; Djoko has Melbourne and Federer has Wimbledon but there isn't a "King of Flushing Meadows".

One other thing that Djoko has in his favour in the GOAT argument is his winning stats over Nadal (30 v 28) and Federer (27 v 23). I was surprised when looking this up that almost half of the matches between Djoko and Nadal have been on clay.

Yes I think Ultimately Novak will probably have most slams . He’s still just 34 and he is effortless in his play . He doesn’t seem to tire . The younger players still have to make that break through . They need to or men’s tennis will be in bother . In fact same wiyh the women’s game once Serena retires. 

On 14/06/2021 at 09:00, I P Knightley said:

Different time of year perhaps. Tennis players are fairly consistent but you will peak at different times of the year due to training and conditioning plans. 

Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Men's and women's finals at Wimbledon to have full crowds

And 50% the rest of time which is what they wanted.

Allowed due to being assigned as official 'test events'. 

17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Andy Murray kicks off his Queen's Club campaign wearing a rather natty maroon and white number.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If that had been a green and white kit, that ball would have cleared the grandstand.

rudi must stay

Can't see winning queen's the way he played. Very safe, a few flashes of his old self. Berritini right now is a bad match up 

JudyJudyJudy
31 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Can't see winning queen's the way he played. Very safe, a few flashes of his old self. Berritini right now is a bad match up 

Yeah he’s played his best 

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

If that had been a green and white kit, that ball would have cleared the grandstand.

He's got a green and white kit too.