• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

• JudyJudyJudy

• I P Knightley

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Naomi Osaka is potentially facing expulsion from the french open and potentially bans from other grand slams due to her deciding not to talk to the media. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57301475

So she should really . It’s part of the game really . The press conferences before and after . She needs to toughen up a bit I think . The sponsors pay big money for them to attend these press conferences etc 

Imagine being asked a question after a defeat. Boo ****ing hoo!

If she wants to earn money doing that job then it’s an obligation. She can’t have it both ways - she can give up the money and just play for fun instead if she throws the toys out the pram. 

You have to talk to the media to get a game of tennis. Feck off. 

Good on her. 

Edited by ri Alban

I P Knightley

She's possibly forgetting where her millions of dollars come from.

Obviously, there's a ton of it in endorsements but she wouldn't be getting that if she weren't playing in tournaments and part of playing in tournaments (contractually) is doing the press conferences. She expects to be fined and has said that her fines should go to mental health charities - as if people get to nominate where their fines go.

As I understand it, the fines would escalate from first offence to 7th (if she makes the final) so, perhaps, the organisers are now saying the third offence would be a DQ - similar to if it was bad on-court behaviour?

If she wants mental health charities to get money, play, do the pressers and sign over a proportion of the winnings. Her endorsements are through the roof as usually happens with big Japanese stars; she's not going to miss a bit of prize money.

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You have to talk to the media to get a game of tennis. Feck off. 

Good on her. 

TV companies ask for it as part of their funding of the game. Seems reasonable. (A bit like Longines, or whoever, insisting that the watch gets worn for the post-match on-court interview. Don't hear much complaining about that.)

Nine times out of ten, the interviews are anodyne and the players' responses are off-the-shelf. Occasionally, you get a good one (Roddick and Kyrgios, for example) and sometimes, the player cries (Jo Konta). The reporters asking the questions tend to be sensitive to the players. If it's been a long match or it's finished really late, they tend not to push for much info from the players.

Edited by I P Knightley

The only place that this is heading is Osaka deciding to take a break from tennis. For how long that will be is a different question.

JudyJudyJudy

And yet people berated the supreme Serena at times yet she always turned up for press meetings after any defeat . Ok she’s a moody so and so but what a player . Still not as great as Monica Seles who was just incredible . That two handed running back hand 🤚 how did she manage that ? Tragic case . She would easily have won 24 plus slams bar that stabbing ! My first conspiracy theory about Graf being involved ! She wasn’t but makes you think 😂

Turn up, give one word answers, take no shite, job done.

Either that or troll them with Cantona-esque gobshite.

Osaka has been treated appallingly ever since she had the temerity and nerve to pump Serena Williams at the US Open final back in 2018. 

Constant criticism and "she was lucky" headlines have dogged her even though she's won 4 Grand Slams.

Can't blame her for not liking the press.

Still, a contract is a contract and it must be honoured.

11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

TV companies ask for it as part of their funding of the game. Seems reasonable. (A bit like Longines, or whoever, insisting that the watch gets worn for the post-match on-court interview. Don't hear much complaining about that.)

Nine times out of ten, the interviews are anodyne and the players' responses are off-the-shelf. Occasionally, you get a good one (Roddick and Kyrgios, for example) and sometimes, the player cries (Jo Konta). The reporters asking the questions tend to be sensitive to the players. If it's been a long match or it's finished really late, they tend not to push for much info from the players.

There's obviously something wrong, has anyone bothered to ask her. Really ask her? 

Is there an arsehole who constantly does the players down? 

The Tour needs to act and it would be good to go around the players and ask them who in the press is nothing but negative and bin them. You can't just now to the press, if they are a problem it needs to be corrected. 

At the end of the day, if the press conference is bad for your health, you should not have to do it. Other places of work wouldn't force you to do something you don't want to do. 

Oh and she's rich, because she's a 4 times GS champion. An exceptional player. 

I do think she should talk to the main TV broadcasting team, like Sue Barker at Wimbledon and whoever the French, Australian and US broadcaster is. 

Edited by ri Alban

**** the media, a bunch of absolute parasites who will spin anything you say to fit whatever agenda they see fit.

Good on her for not wanting to speak to them, more people should take her stance.

I P Knightley

Osaka has now withdrawn from the French Open as she didn't feel up to fulfilling her contractual duties. Fair play to her.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm finding this a strange story. 

She's written a fairly lengthy apology note describing her struggles with depression and shyness. She also writes that the tennis press have always been very good to her.

Seymour M Hersh
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

She's written a fairly lengthy apology note describing her struggles with depression and shyness. She also writes that the tennis press have always been very good to her.

Poor lass seems to have some issues. Hope she gets help and over them sooner rather than later. 

6 hours ago, tian447 said:

**** the media, a bunch of absolute parasites who will spin anything you say to fit whatever agenda they see fit.

Good on her for not wanting to speak to them, more people should take her stance.

Maybe. 

Then we can have more realistic prize money. Or maybe sport can go back to being amateur. 

Broadcasters and sponsors are responsible for the massive money in sport.  Just talking to them a bit isn't much to ask. 

I don't want to underplay her health though. It could start a debate about respect and support. Though as the highest paid female athlete of all time you might think she could arrange for some support. But the debate and response by journalists suggests she's got this badly wrong. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Maybe the rest can ditch their media interviews too? Because I don't imagine everyone enjoys them.

Let's have less build up coverage from those playing too. Maybe not even bother promoting the game using any of the players' faces.

If all she wants to do is play tennis, she can do that. The professional game is what it is because of the effort others put in to make it what it is. If that is too much for her then fine but that includes the media and getting people at home engaged so there is more money. Can't have it both ways.

I P Knightley
14 minutes ago, kila said:

Maybe the rest can ditch their media interviews too? Because I don't imagine everyone enjoys them.

Let's have less build up coverage from those playing too. Maybe not even bother promoting the game using any of the players' faces.

If all she wants to do is play tennis, she can do that. The professional game is what it is because of the effort others put in to make it what it is. If that is too much for her then fine but that includes the media and getting people at home engaged so there is more money. Can't have it both ways.

That is (more or less) what Billie Jean King had to say about it.

Won't be the first person to have an exceptional talent / be great at their job but be completely terrified by the thought of being interviewed / presenting themselves 

Think people need to lay off her here. There has to be a bit of compromise from both sides I feel.

Good on her withdrawing. She needs to put her health over wealth. Shame for the sport though.

Edited by Taffin

Jeffros Furios

No surprise to see Piers Morgan making a ***** of himself again , tweet after tweet slagging Osaka 

What a welt . 

What they may end up doing is allowing players the choice of a standard press conference and a one-on-one cosy chat with one of a panel of authorised interviewers (the sort of chat that you could imagine Sue Barker doing). That way, Osaka can choose an interviewer with whom she's comfortable. I don't think she'll get away with having no post-match chat/interview at all.

This is the sort of nonsense she's dealt with in front of a microphone before. No wonder she's not overly keen. 

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

This is the sort of nonsense she's dealt with in front of a microphone before. No wonder she's not overly keen. 

That whole match must have been a very traumatic experience for her and I think a lot of where she is now may stem from what happened at that one match and the aftermath. She probably needs help to understand it and get it out of her system.

Serena made that entire match into an absolute circus.

She is such a spoiled brat sometimes.

What should have been the best day of Osaka's sporting life ruined by a childish diva having a series of tantrums and whipping the already partisan crowd up into a truly poisonous, hateful atmosphere.

Edited by Cade

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

What they may end up doing is allowing players the choice of a standard press conference and a one-on-one cosy chat with one of a panel of authorised interviewers (the sort of chat that you could imagine Sue Barker doing). That way, Osaka can choose an interviewer with whom she's comfortable. I don't think she'll get away with having no post-match chat/interview at all.

Even if  they just delayed when the post match press conference happened, say an hour after the match it would help as the raw emotion the players have just been through should be less

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Uses media sometimes

That's not directly using the media, though, is it?

Historically, the media has made tennis massive globally and part of that is that each of the players makes themselves available for questions from the media very shortly after the game. As BJK pointed out, if that weren't the case, then tennis players would be unlikely to be competing for prizes of $2million in four tournaments a year plus hunners of thoosans in the other tournies they get.

Osaka's in a special position of being (a) great at tennis, (b ) young and photogenic and - biggest of all (c ) Japanese. Japanese businesses throw massive financial support at one of their own. Kei Nishikori made far more in endorsements than any other player with his level of achievement (say, David Ferrer) because of it and Osaka's following in that path wioth knobs on. Financially, it's great for her and her agents but it probably adds a lot more pressure to her to achieve lots on court.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Even if  they just delayed when the post match press conference happened, say an hour after the match it would help as the raw emotion the players have just been through should be less

I think they'll be looking at all sorts of compromises - this included.

Another suggestion I've heard is that the coach or one of the coaching team takes some of the interviews; in the same way that a football manager is the one always interviewed post-match. The press would get a technical insight from someone in the know for each player. I don't know what the commitments are for football players to appear so maybe the comparison doesn't hold 100%.

JudyJudyJudy

Like I said it’s part and parcel of tennis , press conferences . She does seem rather fragile at times so maybe there should be a compromise if she feels up To speaking at them or not !!’ Ofcourse she would probably only do them if she won ! I don’t know what Billie Jean said about it but I’ll need to find out as she created the women’s circuit and generated the millions than goes with it . She knows her stuff . 

woo hoo good to see Serena on brilliant form yesterday . Ironically this might be the grand slam where she finally gets that magical 24 to tie with that rancid homophobic old boot Margaret Court ? Maybe this time she will . However bizarrely the clay doesn’t seem to suit many of the greatest players who have ever played . Martina N only won it twice , McEnroe and Connors never won it and various other great  players didn’t. Whereas some excelled on it , Nadal , Evert , Graf and Seles ( who incidentally would have won far more than 24 slams if she hadn’t been stabbed ) one of tennis greatest tragedies . 

I P Knightley
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Like I said it’s part and parcel of tennis , press conferences . She does seem rather fragile at times so maybe there should be a compromise if she feels up To speaking at them or not !!’ Ofcourse she would probably only do them if she won ! I don’t know what Billie Jean said about it but I’ll need to find out as she created the women’s circuit and generated the millions than goes with it . She knows her stuff . 

woo hoo good to see Serena on brilliant form yesterday . Ironically this might be the grand slam where she finally gets that magical 24 to tie with that rancid homophobic old boot Margaret Court ? Maybe this time she will . However bizarrely the clay doesn’t seem to suit many of the greatest players who have ever played . Martina N only won it twice , McEnroe and Connors never won it and various other great  players didn’t. Whereas some excelled on it , Nadal , Evert , Graf and Seles ( who incidentally would have won far more than 24 slams if she hadn’t been stabbed ) one of tennis greatest tragedies . 

Don't forget Borg from your list. Multiple wins at RG followed by wins at Wimbledon a couple of weeks later. Very few men achieve that double even once.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Don't forget Borg from your list. Multiple wins at RG followed by wins at Wimbledon a couple of weeks later. Very few men achieve that double even once.

Oh yes that’s true . 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57377757

Azarenka demanding equality because she's not getting to play at night. Aye, darling, the lassies play best of three, the lads play best of five and yet you've already got the same money. You want equality? Hand back about 35% of your prize money to the blokes, then we can have a chat about equality. 

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy

Oh well poor Serena bombed out . Think she needs to hang up her bra now . She has tried her best to get that elusive 24th but think it’s unobtainable now . Outstanding  career though 🤚🤚🤚

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57377757

Azarenka demanding equality because she's not getting to play at night. Aye, darling, the lassies play best of three, the lads play best of five and yet you've already got the same money. You want equality? Hand back about 35% of your prize money to the blokes, then we can have a chat about equality. 

I wonder what the viewing figures are for Amazon Prime when they have a free for all to select which match you view. If there is a heavy bias towards either gender, then it would make commercial sense to show those matches in Prime time for any broadcaster. If it's roughly 50 50, then she may have a point. 

It would be better for the organisers to schedule a woman's match starting at 9pm as you could be almost certain it would be over by 11.

The French Open is just mindnumbing on the men's side. You just know Nadal is going to win it again. Then we'll have this guff about him being GOAT when his record is so heavily titled with Frenchies. He always seems to get piss easy draws too.

Ack, I'm just bitter. 🤣

Mind you, I'm annoyed at Federer for pulling out. Should have just let the German boy win if he was going to do that. It's not like he needs the money. 😁

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Did think myself, too. 

Although not classic top-drawer tennis, I watched the match live and found it utterly absorbing. The German lad was trying his guts out, while Fed looked like he was just trying to care. 

What happens? Does the German get reinstated or does Fed's next opponent get a bye?

I watched most of Federer's match and tbh thought he was going to coast it, even with all the errors. Was surprised when I saw the final score.

He was due to play Berrettini, who now gets a walkover into the next round. 

I mean I love tennis but the French just bores me unless Nadal loses. 

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Did think myself, too. 

Although not classic top-drawer tennis, I watched the match live and found it utterly absorbing. The German lad was trying his guts out, while Fed looked like he was just trying to care. 

What happens? Does the German get reinstated or does Fed's next opponent get a bye?

i think it is a bye for the next opponent

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

The French Open is just mindnumbing on the men's side. You just know Nadal is going to win it again. Then we'll have this guff about him being GOAT when his record is so heavily titled with Frenchies. He always seems to get piss easy draws too.

Ack, I'm just bitter. 🤣

Mind you, I'm annoyed at Federer for pulling out. Should have just let the German boy win if he was going to do that. It's not like he needs the money. 😁

Nadal has a 60% wining record against Federer ! In my book he is the greatest as he has proven he can win on each surface , Albeit not multiple times like Fed but he has won more masters too. He’s also a more exciting player to watch . Fed has only won the French once ! F3410D88-F63A-4B6F-BC62-F4BB7C4A6F07.thumb.png.524d376a65c8fea13f363e3f9c4e178c.png

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Nadal has a 60% wining record against Federer ! In my book he is the greatest as he has proven he can win on each surface , Albeit not multiple times like Fed but he has won more masters too. He’s also a more exciting player to watch . Fed has only won the French once ! F3410D88-F63A-4B6F-BC62-F4BB7C4A6F07.thumb.png.524d376a65c8fea13f363e3f9c4e178c.png

They've all won on each surface 🤪

If you take away Nadal's French titles then his record at the other Slams is pretty average. He is clearly the greatest on clay though. The fact someone is so dominant on that surface though is poor for the sport - not his fault obviously.

As for more exciting?  If you like someone hugging the baseline 95% of the time then good for you. 

Edited by neilnunb

I P Knightley
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

When Fed won at RG, he didn't come across Nadal. Nadal was taken out by Robin Soderling. Yes, him!

Arguments about who is best of the 3 of them is like comparing Ronaldo and Messi. Could go on forever but I agree that clay distorts the record. Grass sorted itself out around Sampras time but clay is too different in my view.

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

When Fed won at RG, he didn't come across Nadal. Nadal was taken out by Robin Soderling. Yes, him!

Arguments about who is best of the 3 of them is like comparing Ronaldo and Messi. Could go on forever but I agree that clay distorts the record. Grass sorted itself out around Sampras time but clay is too different in my view.

Yes that’s true it’s a never ending argument . 

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

They've all won on each surface 🤪

If you take away Nadal's French titles then his record at the other Slams is pretty average. He is clearly the greatest on clay though. The fact someone is so dominant on that surface though is poor for the sport - not his fault obviously.

As for more exciting?  If you like someone hugging the baseline 95% of the time then good for you. 

I like both their styles of play . The baseline power hitting can be incredible tennis due to its rallies and accuracy of placing the ball near the baseline or tram lines . The all forty type in later against the baseline always gives entertaining matches like Fed v Nadal , Navratilova v Evert , McEnroe v Connors or Borg . There’s room in tennis for all those styles . I suppose Fed has proved Himself more on all surfaces , which makes him the greater all rounder player but does it make him the greatest player ? 

Love watching the tennis.

Nadal's to lose on Clay however I've backed Zverev each way.

In the woman's side I've backed Rybakina each way. Looks like she has found her 2019/20 form again. Swiatek obv fav but she hasn't overly impressed so far.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I like both their styles of play . The baseline power hitting can be incredible tennis due to its rallies and accuracy of placing the ball near the baseline or tram lines . The all forty type in later against the baseline always gives entertaining matches like Fed v Nadal , Navratilova v Evert , McEnroe v Connors or Borg . There’s room in tennis for all those styles . I suppose Fed has proved Himself more on all surfaces , which makes him the greater all rounder player but does it make him the greatest player ? 

Each of them makes a case for being greatest:

Federer for the number of slams and the total number of tournaments (and finals appearances) plus his style is the easiest on the eye.

Nadal for the number of slams and not just being the clay court one trick pony that I thought he might be in his younger days. While Federer's grace makes the middle aged ladies a bit frothy, Nadal made the sport appeal to younger players. I reckon I've seen more young lads at tennis tournaments wanting to be Nadal than any other player.

Djoko could very well go on to have the most slams. He had what must have been the greatest individual season in 2015 when he pretty much bankrupted his sponsor due to the win bonus formula he had and I believe he has the most Masters tournies under his belt. Oh, and the small matter of about 20% more prize money than each of the other two.

Each has something about them that stops me from favouring them easily. Federer did it for me with that gold trimmed jacket (I never said I wasn't petty), Nadal and his twitches and pulling his pants out his crack isn't funny any more and Djoko, with his 17 ball bounces and (earlier in his career) his flaking out of matches with "injury".

I have a suspicion that Djoko will end his career with a clear record but he'll never be spoken of as THE greatest because the supporters and the media find him the hardest of the three to like.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Each of them makes a case for being greatest:

Federer for the number of slams and the total number of tournaments (and finals appearances) plus his style is the easiest on the eye.

Nadal for the number of slams and not just being the clay court one trick pony that I thought he might be in his younger days. While Federer's grace makes the middle aged ladies a bit frothy, Nadal made the sport appeal to younger players. I reckon I've seen more young lads at tennis tournaments wanting to be Nadal than any other player.

Djoko could very well go on to have the most slams. He had what must have been the greatest individual season in 2015 when he pretty much bankrupted his sponsor due to the win bonus formula he had and I believe he has the most Masters tournies under his belt. Oh, and the small matter of about 20% more prize money than each of the other two.

Each has something about them that stops me from favouring them easily. Federer did it for me with that gold trimmed jacket (I never said I wasn't petty), Nadal and his twitches and pulling his pants out his crack isn't funny any more and Djoko, with his 17 ball bounces and (earlier in his career) his flaking out of matches with "injury".

I have a suspicion that Djoko will end his career with a clear record but he'll never be spoken of as THE greatest because the supporters and the media find him the hardest of the three to like.

Great summary . Yes what is it about Novak that makes him unlikeable? He has no real personality apart from being abrasive at times . ? I just don’t get the admiration for him as a player either . ? But your right he will probably win most slams of all time as I think Fed is finished now and can only see Rafa win this French and possibly next year . Mind you the so called young guns still have to make a consistent break through . Nadal is my favourite for a variety of reasons . Like I said I like his style of playing . Power play . I know it may sound controversial but Fed style of play has always bored me but I can see the elegance and finesse in it but does nowt for me .  

14 hours ago, jonesy said:

Love Djokovic.

Unloved by the Hooray Henry brigade and misunderstood in general in the west.

He's full of shit, too, but a great player.

Yeah, me too.