Home games at Murrayfield?

hoof.hearted

David McCaig
9 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

4000 fans at Tynie would be much more impactful than 20,000 at Murrayfield. As much as I want to get back to watching games live I would rather keep them at Tynie and watch every 1 in 4 home games live.

It might be worth the club polling ST holders asking whether they would rather we played at Tynecastle with attendance by ballot and a TV credit for those who miss out or Murrayfield with attendance for all.

My preference would be Murrayfield with my kids alongside me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• davemclaren

• jr ewing

• David McCaig

Top Posters In This Topic

frankblack
31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That wasn't the experience in the English Premiership games. 

Current practice is no away fans and reduced crowds still make a lot of noise.

Bigger grounds, with looser restrictions than here.

Restonbabe

Murrayfield could allow the option of an away %. 

An Edinburgh Derby with both fans able to attend appeals to me. 

I'd much rather be there with family than watching on TV. 

Anyone else that says they don't is lying. 

Good idea. 

Even better idea if hibs got involved and a deal was brokered for both clubs to allow more fans to attend as well as an away support. 

Francis Albert

Great atmosphere at the English Championship play off yesterday. Don't understand why you would not want the maximum access to fans. 

Most Brentford fans able to enjoy in person the greatest day for the club in 74 years

Edited by Francis Albert

If they could get a pie stand in- then yes, I'm all for it.

No pies? Nope.

Get your burger vans to ****.

His name is
10 hours ago, DS98 said:

Nice idea, but what’s to stop Hibs, Dundee Utd etc also wanting to play there? Don’t think we have any rights to it just because we play over the road. 

Nothing stopping another team playing there, can't see Dundee Utd fans bring to happy having to travel to Edinburgh for a home game tho.

Maybe Hearts and Hibs should make a joint approach and use it week about. It might make the idea financially viable.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

**** that rugby pricks we'll be back at tynie full force soon enough

Who are these rugby pricks that will be back at Tynecastle?

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'll not be bothering with football in general until all restrictions are over, at Tynecastle or anywhere else.

My two brothers-in-law are taking me to the England warm-up game against Austria.  I'm going just to be sociable, but I'm not enthusiastic at all.

Here's a list of the issues around going to the game. It's clearly in England, but I presume the rules would be similar in Scotland:

Negative Covid tests within 3 days of the game should be logged online.

No proper pre-match drink due to social distancing in pubs.

Crowd restricted to 8000 in a 32000 stadium.

Although outdoors and distanced, masks to be worn unless eating or drinking.

I'm not necessarily saying that I disagree with any of these rules, because I know it's still early days in our recovery.  Together though, the rules would remove too much of the enjoyment for me, and I simply wouldn't bother.

If live sport is still so risky that all of these rules are necessary I still believe that it should be suspended until the risks have reduced more.

Couldn't agree more.  When a whole lot of rules are imposed on something I want to do, no matter how justified, I lose interest and stay home.

frankblack
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Isn't our record at Murrayfield pretty terrible? Played 7 and won 2 or something?

If you are driven by superstitions you will never achieve anything.

Very few personnel still remain from those games.

Savage Vince
12 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'll not be bothering with football in general until all restrictions are over, at Tynecastle or anywhere else.

My two brothers-in-law are taking me to the England warm-up game against Austria.  I'm going just to be sociable, but I'm not enthusiastic at all.

Here's a list of the issues around going to the game. It's clearly in England, but I presume the rules would be similar in Scotland:

Negative Covid tests within 3 days of the game should be logged online.

No proper pre-match drink due to social distancing in pubs.

Crowd restricted to 8000 in a 32000 stadium.

Although outdoors and distanced, masks to be worn unless eating or drinking.

I'm not necessarily saying that I disagree with any of these rules, because I know it's still early days in our recovery.  Together though, the rules would remove too much of the enjoyment for me, and I simply wouldn't bother.

If live sport is still so risky that all of these rules are necessary I still believe that it should be suspended until the risks have reduced more.

I agree. I'll likely pay for my season ticket again but I honestly cannot be arsed with it all just now and it's not going to change anytime soon. 

A_A wehatethehibs

I would be absolutely delighted if a deal could be struck to play there temporarily. 

The more total numbers of fans we can get in the games the better. 

Hearts and Hibs could both do it. Get as many football fans into the game as possible to enjoy the game. 

However given other clubs Aberdeen, DUFC etc don’t have the luxury it may be seen as an unfair advantage so might be that we just have to accept the reduced crowds at Tynecastle. 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I would be absolutely delighted if a deal could be struck to play there temporarily. 

Hearts and Hibs could both do it. Get as many football fans into the game as possible to enjoy the game. 

However given other clubs Aberdeen, DUFC etc don’t have the luxury it may be seen as an unfair advantage so might be that we just have to accept the reduced crowds at Tynecastle. 

Sporting integrity and all that. 😄

frankblack
27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Most of those clubs don't pull enough fans to exceed their grounds' restricted criteria! :rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Not for me, been to Murrayfield a good few times, never enjoyed it much.

Would you prefer going to the pub and then going there to watch a game with 15k Jambos, or sit at home on your own watching it on a laptop livestream where you paid the same price for a ticket? 

maroondevo52
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Would you prefer going to the pub and then going there to watch a game with 15k Jambos, or sit at home on your own watching it on a laptop livestream where you paid the same price for a ticket? 

I would go to Murrayfield, just not as enjoyable as I hoped when attending before. Watching a stream on the laptop is mince.

I enjoyed our Murrayfield trips :ninja: Miles better than Hampden. Better views, closer to the pitch, better facilities...

OK it isn't like Tynecastle at all (tight, intimidating) but Tynecastle won't be like that until all fans are allowed back.

Can see the group stages being played at Tynecastle in front of reduced crowd, but once the league start approaches, I'd rather we were at Murrayfield with everyone than at Tynecastle with most missing out and having to watch from home.

On 30/05/2021 at 10:26, Nookie Bear said:

Nothing to stop them. Would both Edinburgh clubs using it half the cost?

Its far from ideal but the club would need to look at the cost and weigh up the cost of rent versus all ST holders watching (and paying) to see games. 

I'm not sure Edinburgh City can afford Murrayfield. Good idea all the same.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, kila said:

I enjoyed our Murrayfield trips :ninja: Miles better than Hampden. Better views, closer to the pitch, better facilities...

OK it isn't like Tynecastle at all (tight, intimidating) but Tynecastle won't be like that until all fans are allowed back.

Can see the group stages being played at Tynecastle in front of reduced crowd, but once the league start approaches, I'd rather we were at Murrayfield with everyone than at Tynecastle with most missing out and having to watch from home.

I enjoyed it right up until the football started :lol: 

I would accept it as a measure to get bigger numbers of fans access to the football game. It’s the utilitarian thing to do. Get more numbers able to attend. 

But I would expect it wouldn’t be on the table, there would be a cost to the club, and we will want to just get whatever fans are allowed back in to our own stadium, our own bar and our own hospitality, bums on maroon seats which is fair enough. Especially with the money being spent on the pitch and the stadium. Even if it’s only 3-4K in there, it’s our home so that’s that. Just have to draw names out the hat! 

I am not for it, though understand it being a suggestion.  

it is not our home stadium, and it will be at a cost.  Yes it will mean more fans, but probably only more season ticket fans, and still no walk ups, for in my opinion, the rest of this calendar year. Also lose out on some hospitality, and catering, and even t club shop, since most fans will no longer pass it going to and from. The game.  

I am also not sure we will receive permission from the SPFL to pick and choose when we use it.   Other clubs could do the same.  St James Park is only an hour or so away by train.  Why not use that for some clubs?   It is not in Scotland, but it is a football stadium.    Hibs, Livingston, Celtic or Rangers may ask to use Murrayfield too. Or the two Dundee sides.  It is a short train journey away. 

It is also crap with a small crowd there too, anyway.  

As for options, I am not sure what one I will choose.  Uncertainty suggests it won’t be the third option. I think the second is most likely.  

HEARTS FOREVER
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Correct

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. 5 raps for shite meat and some lucky dips.

They should hand oot donkey's ears too.

I doubt Doncaster would attend. 

Nookie Bear
51 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I am not for it, though understand it being a suggestion.  

it is not our home stadium, and it will be at a cost.  Yes it will mean more fans, but probably only more season ticket fans, and still no walk ups, for in my opinion, the rest of this calendar year. Also lose out on some hospitality, and catering, and even t club shop, since most fans will no longer pass it going to and from. The game.  

I am also not sure we will receive permission from the SPFL to pick and choose when we use it.   Other clubs could do the same.  St James Park is only an hour or so away by train.  Why not use that for some clubs?   It is not in Scotland, but it is a football stadium.    Hibs, Livingston, Celtic or Rangers may ask to use Murrayfield too. Or the two Dundee sides.  It is a short train journey away. 

It is also crap with a small crowd there too, anyway.  

As for options, I am not sure what one I will choose.  Uncertainty suggests it won’t be the third option. I think the second is most likely.  

Strange arguments here.

If restrictions are still in place then i don't think the food outlets will be open and the club shop will have such a small maximum number of folk in there at any one time to make it pointless.

Why St James Park? It is is a different country and Murrayfield is over the road. And why would Celtic or Rangers want to use Murrayfield when they have similar sized grounds? If hibs or Livvy want it then that is nothing to do with us.

As for the league not letting us, that may be the case but we are still in very difficult times and it would be churlish of them to stop us when all we want to do is let as many people as possible watch games.

davemclaren
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

True Dave. How's the bike ?

Just building it up now. Been busy creating my home gym room the last few weeks. 😄

Harry Potter
16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just building it up now. Been busy creating my home gym room the last few weeks. 😄

Going to have muscles like charles atlas, 😄.

Murrayfield is not for me.  Even with 15K it's a soulless bowl with no atmosphere.  I'd prefer to take my chances in a 6K-ish ST holders ballot for Tynie and if unsuccessful then it's the live stream. 

frankblack
6 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Murrayfield is not for me.  Even with 15K it's a soulless bowl with no atmosphere.  I'd prefer to take my chances in a 6K-ish ST holders ballot for Tynie and if unsuccessful then it's the live stream. 

Strange.

You would rather a soulless afternoon in your bedroom with your laptop than watch a match in person with your friends and family?

I've been at Tynie with crowds around 4k and its absolutely dead.

Edited by frankblack

davemclaren
49 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Strange.

You would rather a soulless afternoon in your bedroom with your laptop than watch a match in person with your friends and family?

I've been at Tynie with crowds around 4k and its absolutely dead.

A lot of us watch the stream on our tellies with beer and stuff. Has its plusses. 

2 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Fans make atmosphere not stadia

Guest ToqueJambo
14 hours ago, frankblack said:

If you are driven by superstitions you will never achieve anything.

Very few personnel still remain from those games.

It's more about home advantage for me. Murrayfield won't feel like home for players and supporters and we're typically so much better at home.

I'd chose 3 pts at Tynecastle watching online over 0pts at Murrayfield at the game any time. Even just 2000 fans at Tynecastle can create more of an atmosphere for the players (and fans) than 5 times that at Murrayfield.

Edited by ToqueJambo

frankblack
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's more about home advantage for me. Murrayfield won't feel like home for players and supporters and we're typically so much better at home.

Neither will a 3/4 empty Tynie.  The more fans you get in, the better the atmosphere.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

A lot of us watch the stream on our tellies with beer and stuff. Has its plusses. 

One season was more than enough for me. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Neither will a 3/4 empty Tynie.  The more fans you get in, the better the atmosphere.

As we saw last season with no fans home advantage counts for a lot with us. I get the need for fans to see the team in person, but, considering our general away form at times and our previous Murrayfield form, it would be risky.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Fans make atmosphere not stadia

It's not just about atmosphere. Home advantage is a proven thing for a number of reasons, not just the presence of home fans, and Tynecastle is our home.

Edited by ToqueJambo

frankblack
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not just about atmosphere. Home advantage is a proven thing for a number of reasons, not just the presence of home fans, and Tynecastle is our home.

Its likely that it would be home fans only so that advantage would carry at Murrayfield, unlike when other teams could bring larger than normal away supports for the Murrayfield novelty experience.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, frankblack said:

Its likely that it would be home fans only so that advantage would carry at Murrayfield, unlike when other teams could bring larger than normal away supports for the Murrayfield novelty experience.

I can definitely see the argument for it, but only from a bums on seats not necessarily a performance perspective. We all agree Neilson needs to get off to a good start next season. I don't see us playing at Murrayfield making that more likely. The club's entire marketing strategy for STs is around the Tynecastle experience. Connsidering that, the desire to have a "normal" season, and the cost of Murrayfield, I'm not sure it's going to be given a lot of consideration. 

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Agreed, although the post I responded to was about atmosphere. 

Murrayfield is all pie in the sky talk anyway 

David McCaig
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I can definitely see the argument for it, but only from a bums on seats not necessarily a performance perspective. We all agree Neilson needs to get off to a good start next season. I don't see us playing at Murrayfield making that more likely. The club's entire marketing strategy for STs is around the Tynecastle experience. Connsidering that, the desire to have a "normal" season, and the cost of Murrayfield, I'm not sure it's going to be given a lot of consideration. 

But in this instance it would be a choice between experiencing a game in person versus a laptop stream.  As soon as all ST holders are allowed back in Tynecastle, we go back to Tynecastle.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Tin hat on, but given the attitude that was adopted last year when we got back to training early, does anyone seriously think we will get approval from the powers that be to use Murrayfield?

22 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

But in this instance it would be a choice between experiencing a game in person versus a laptop stream.  As soon as all ST holders are allowed back in Tynecastle, we go back to Tynecastle.

Bearing in mind it would be unavailable for most of November at least 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Hesh said:

In theory the government will have everyone vaccinated and the pandemic under control by then. 🤥

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Hesh said:

To be fair if we’re not all back in by November, we’re probably in the middle of a 3rd wave and no-ones getting in at all!!

5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

To be fair if we’re not all back in by November, we’re probably in the middle of a 3rd wave and no-ones getting in at all!!

I'd say it's not worth it then 

David McCaig
25 minutes ago, Hesh said:

I'd say it's not worth it then 

August-October is still a third of the season

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

August-October is still a third of the season

Would the league allow us to play in two different grounds in the same season when most others don’t have the same option of having a 65,000 stadium on their doorstep. We got a special dispensation as we were rebuilding the stadium the last time. 

Can’t see the other non OF clubs being happy. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Would the league allow us to play in two different grounds in the same season when most others don’t have the same option of having a 65,000 stadium on their doorstep. We got a special dispensation as we were rebuilding the stadium the last time. 

Can’t see the other non OF clubs being happy. 

Unprecedented times.