The Royal family

HartleyLegend3

Space Mackerel
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

They're dysfunctional, over-privileged parasites, leftovers from a bygone age.

After The Queen dies, the whole mess should be disbanded.

Kings and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses, etc in 2021? :facepalm:

😲

We agree? For once. 😁

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• A Boy Named Crow

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Smithee said:

What do you know about Westminster's plans to fund services, pay benefits and create the infrastructure needed in a 2020s UK?

Apart from borrow like crazy I mean.

They think they can sponge off the English for ever is the answer I think. I certainly don’t see or hear them espousing any other options.  
Scotland is bust in their opinion. 

Edited by jack D and coke

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

😲

We agree? For once. 😁

Everybody agrees. People only disagree to aggravate. It’s the way of things now.
A royal family ffs?! :lol: absolutely ludicrous in this day and age. 

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Everybody agrees. People only disagree to aggravate. It’s the way of things now.
A royal family ffs?! :lol: absolutely ludicrous in this day and age. 

I disagree. Firstly, because it's not our royal family so not for me to say. And secondly, you can't just cut things abruptly, you wouldn't do that to an addict, so we can't just tell Charlie and his family that  they're homeless and can they  please call universal credit for support and the jobcentre for vacancies in the Royal family trade.

Oh and don’t forget, Brexit now stops them going to live and work in Spain and Sweden.   Maybe Australia and Canada will give them a job. :)

Edited by ri Alban

Auldbenches
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I disagree. Firstly, because it's not our royal family so not for me to say. And secondly, you can't just cut things abruptly, you wouldn't do that to an addict, so we can't just tell Charlie and his family that  they're homeless and can they  please call universal credit for support and the jobcentre for vacancies in the Royal family trade.

Oh and don’t forget, Brexit now stops them going to live and work in Spain and Sweden.   Maybe Australia and Canada will give them a job. :)

We could cut things abruptly.  If we had a referendum that decided to get rid of them, they would still win what they have but wouldn't get a penny more and would no longer have their titles.

If they couldn't live on what they already have then that's their fault.

They wouldn't have to live on benefits if they just sold some if the stuff that is in cellars and never look at.

The queen had 10 million in an offshore account and we are supposed to give a **** about our society when she is tipping it off? 

Wtf does she need more money for? 

Get them to feck after she is gone

The Queen, apart from a novelty or a PR stunt, has never used any currency in her whe life. She wouldn't have any idea how to do anything for herself. So throwing them into reality, is a myth. She'd still not have to do 'Normality' if we did, because the population wouldn't allow it. And that's from someone who hates the very thought of the monarchy, but for some reason I can't dislike the Queen. The others are arseholes(Except Ann) 

Oh and The others would be publicly flogged. :thumb:

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

We could cut things abruptly.  If we had a referendum that decided to get rid of them, they would still win what they have but wouldn't get a penny more and would no longer have their titles.

If they couldn't live on what they already have then that's their fault.

They wouldn't have to live on benefits if they just sold some if the stuff that is in cellars and never look at.

The queen had 10 million in an offshore account and we are supposed to give a **** about our society when she is tipping it off? 

Wtf does she need more money for? 

Get them to feck after she is gone

I think you’re seriously underestimating auld Lizzie’s wealth. 
Talking billions, and that’s before you start pricing the land she owns. 
Not as simple as saying, ach, I’m done, selling all my shit, but if she did, the amount would be astronomical. The bits of Manhattan she owns alone would bring in crazy cash.

Savage Vince
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Not as simple as saying, ach, I’m done, selling all my shit, but if she did, the amount would be astronomical. The bits of Manhattan she owns alone would bring in crazy cash.

And the land she's/they've acquired throughout the world in the name of charity and conservation. 

Auldbenches
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

There's no way they would toil of we decided to become a republic and they had to fend for themselves. 

That 10 million she put somewhere else really set an example.

I was replying to someone who said we couldn't just cut them off financially.  Aye right!  

Auldbenches
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Queen, apart from a novelty or a PR stunt, has never used any currency in her whe life. She wouldn't have any idea how to do anything for herself. So throwing them into reality, is a myth. She'd still not have to do 'Normality' if we did, because the population wouldn't allow it. And that's from someone who hates the very thought of the monarchy, but for some reason I can't dislike the Queen. The others are arseholes(Except Ann) 

Oh and The others would be publicly flogged. :thumb:

If we go down the public flogging route, we should begin with Andrew.  Then again, maybe make him last so he gets to see what's coming.

If the queen is the up holder of British Christian values, then why isn't she encouraging her son to talk to the FBI to help bring justice for all those abused women and girls? 

It's pathetic that he is getting away with this. 

Jambo-Jimbo

I'm indifferent towards them, I neither like nor loathe them, they're just part & parcel of the fabric of the country, have been long long before I was born and will probably still be in some form long long after I'm dead.

Ron Burgundy
15 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

You’ve met them personally? 

Yeah, most of them.

You stick to poo pooing the space landings and posting pics of crap dinners on Facebook.

The cost of changes would be immense. E.G. the Guards Brigade would have to be changed as they would no longer be the Royal  Guards. Cap badges with a Crown would have to be altered and reissued. All stationary and uniform issue bearing any reference to Royal would have to be changed. The Royal Corps of Marines would like the Guards also be a casualty, Royal Air Force no longer. Thats just a small example of the vast changes in the Military. Post Office no longer Royal Mail. National Anthem, these are strictly administrative changes, the functions will not be too highly affected, but administration is where many costs are. Small example, but just shows the massive job it would be to change the  United Kingdom, oops that is no longer either. 

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The cost of changes would be immense. E.G. the Guards Brigade would have to be changed as they would no longer be the Royal  Guards. Cap badges with a Crown would have to be altered and reissued. All stationary and uniform issue bearing any reference to Royal would have to be changed. The Royal Corps of Marines would like the Guards also be a casualty, Royal Air Force no longer. Thats just a small example of the vast changes in the Military. Post Office no longer Royal Mail. National Anthem, these are strictly administrative changes, the functions will not be too highly affected, but administration is where many costs are. Small example, but just shows the massive job it would be to change the  United Kingdom, oops that is no longer either. 

Postage stamps as well, Great Britain is the only country in the World where there is no country printed on the stamp, never has been as the monarch's head is the only identification needed, been like that since 1840 & the introduction of the penny black.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

I think we can put up with the minor inconvenience of printing some new letterheads.

Everything you do will have a cost, in a sixty man police Department paper was quite a thing in budget. Letterheads, trucks, postal boxes, new designs for things , if you have been fortunate enough to see any economy in bureaucracy you are indeed fortunate. Of course as you so blithely say it will only require a few letterheads be changed, it is my good fortune I shall be in a paradise type place with eternal sunshine and nothing but goodness,and all the people I have known and loved in this life or so I have been told, and whom I believe as I would someone who tells me the going from a Regency to a Republic will be a mediocre cost factor. Aye right like the car salesman tried to tell me the model he was selling was economical on gas. Always somebody trying to tell me nothing is going to cost me anything, again I say Aye Right.

A Boy Named Crow
18 hours ago, Boab said:

I'm quite impressed with this thread so far. It's largely kept away from the "hang 'em high" v "yes m'lud" camps trolling each other. 

If we are seriously discussing the practicalities of becoming a Republic, it's right to start with the finances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finances_of_the_British_royal_family

The above list summaries where they currently get their wealth from. It goes without saying that a Republic would not fund a royal family in any way. What to do with the crown estates is is interesting though.  You could argue they are theirs and will continue to be a source of income for them going forward. But I'd question that. Those estates are only theirs because of the blood shed by their forefathers either directly or indirectly. Taken/stolen from the people as and kept on their family, well for no reason other than they said so.

These estates snd any historic proceeds from them should all be seized by the state, leaving the royals basically potless. 

That is obviously a fairly mean thing to do, so any adult "working" royals should be retired,  and as an act of benevolence on the part of the people, pensioned off (at a rate to be decided). Young and as yet unborn former royals would need to actually stick in at school...

In terms of the capital cost of changing insignia on post boxes, military uniforms, stamps and currency,  couldn't this all be done on a replacement basis? These things don't last forever and are periodically changed (in the case of stamps and money, at least every time the monarch dies). Imagine the novelty in 50 years time of getting an old royalist pound coin in your change...

It can all be done, it just takes the will of the people to make it happen. 

A Boy Named Crow
10 hours ago, Cade said:

I think we can put up with the minor inconvenience of printing some new letterheads.

On the stamps and money, just put a big X across the face 😂

A Boy Named Crow
10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Well, if it all needed changed anyway, just be more efficient to do it in a oner,  eh 😁

51 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Well, if it all needed changed anyway, just be more efficient to do it in a oner,  eh 😁

No argument there, once all the changes are paid for it will be done and paid for. Just like going for cancer surgery, which I have, when all is finished it seems  wonderful a good life without the disease. However the surgery is quite debilitating, the radiation and  chemo are not nice, but like all good things in life nothing good comes without a cost. I would suggest that going from Monarchy to Republic may also lead to good things but the change may provide some unexpected difficulties.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

No argument there, once all the changes are paid for it will be done and paid for. Just like going for cancer surgery, which I have, when all is finished it seems  wonderful a good life without the disease. However the surgery is quite debilitating, the radiation and  chemo are not nice, but like all good things in life nothing good comes without a cost. I would suggest that going from Monarchy to Republic may also lead to good things but the change may provide some unexpected difficulties.

Aye, chemo and radiotherapy aren't fun, I've been there too.

A lot of the hurdles put up against the idea of a republic are a bit like the straw men you get from the unionists. At the end of the day though,  two things are fundamentally true. Monarchy is an outmoded form of government,  centuries past its sell by date, and Scotland doesn't belong in the UK.

We should just fix both. 

manaliveits105

Great news that a new Royal yacht is to go ahead as a flag ship for Britain throughout the world .

The court/royal correspondents and feeble of mind who fawn over anything 'Royal' leave me shaking my head in disbelief.

'The palace says...' - why does any sentient being give the flyingest of ****s what that family and their multitude of hangers-on get up to?

I might manage to garner some little respect for some of them if Andrew is ever questioned by authorities - and not some grovelling media-lackey - about his goings-on.

As a concept - outdated and over-exposed.

Auldbenches
20 minutes ago, Boof said:

The court/royal correspondents and feeble of mind who fawn over anything 'Royal' leave me shaking my head in disbelief.

'The palace says...' - why does any sentient being give the flyingest of ****s what that family and their multitude of hangers-on get up to?

I might manage to garner some little respect for some of them if Andrew is ever questioned by authorities - and not some grovelling media-lackey - about his goings-on.

As a concept - outdated and over-exposed.

The Andrew situation and the 10 million reporting in the Panama papers have taken any respect I had for the queen.  All the FBI wants is to talk to him to help bring justice but she is helping him hide.  

Hate that creepy ******* andrew. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Great news that a new Royal yacht is to go ahead as a flag ship for Britain throughout the world .

Another Boris masterstroke.

5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I'm quite impressed with this thread so far. It's largely kept away from the "hang 'em high" v "yes m'lud" camps trolling each other. 

If we are seriously discussing the practicalities of becoming a Republic, it's right to start with the finances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finances_of_the_British_royal_family

The above list summaries where they currently get their wealth from. It goes without saying that a Republic would not fund a royal family in any way. What to do with the crown estates is is interesting though.  You could argue they are theirs and will continue to be a source of income for them going forward. But I'd question that. Those estates are only theirs because of the blood shed by their forefathers either directly or indirectly. Taken/stolen from the people as and kept on their family, well for no reason other than they said so.

These estates snd any historic proceeds from them should all be seized by the state, leaving the royals basically potless. 

That is obviously a fairly mean thing to do, so any adult "working" royals should be retired,  and as an act of benevolence on the part of the people, pensioned off (at a rate to be decided). Young and as yet unborn former royals would need to actually stick in at school...

In terms of the capital cost of changing insignia on post boxes, military uniforms, stamps and currency,  couldn't this all be done on a replacement basis? These things don't last forever and are periodically changed (in the case of stamps and money, at least every time the monarch dies). Imagine the novelty in 50 years time of getting an old royalist pound coin in your change...

It can all be done, it just takes the will of the people to make it happen. 

The important point, though, is any move to a republic would be more or less a revolution. Doesn’t matter if it’s late 18th century, early 20th century or mid 21st century, they’re not going to quietly hand it over. No chance. 
And they would win any insurrection. Hands down. 
They’ll be here for generations.

A Boy Named Crow
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

The important point, though, is any move to a republic would be more or less a revolution. Doesn’t matter if it’s late 18th century, early 20th century or mid 21st century, they’re not going to quietly hand it over. No chance. 

I dunno, if the terms were reasonable for them, assuming the queen is out the picture by then, I think they would rather live the quiet life.

If it comes to armed insurrection, it's uncharted territory,  who knows?

A Boy Named Crow
12 minutes ago, Boab said:

7 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I dunno, if the terms were reasonable for them, assuming the queen is out the picture by then, I think they would rather live the quiet life.

I just thought about it some more.  If it was the overwhelming will of the people,  parliament would have to act. I could see the armed forces siding with the royals v Joe Public in an insurrection,  but to overthrow the elected government? I seriously doubt it. I reckon it'd be a bloodless revolution.  

The "revolution" will most likely begin in the former colonies. I  reckon I could be shot of them in the next decade. The demographic of Australia is getting a long way from people who see the UK as the motherland.  Any semblance of relevance they might have once had is rapidly vanishing. Once those dominoes start tumbling...

JudyJudyJudy
On 28/05/2021 at 12:49, Cade said:

The French and Russians had the right idea.

Exactly . Get shot of them . Ludicrous in this day and age to have “ Princes “ and “ Princesses “ imagine walking about saying your a “ Prince “ pension them all off . Sell off the royal palaces / castles . Let’s have a president Jc while we are at it get rid of the House of Lords 

JudyJudyJudy
49 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

54D3ED33-9914-4CC3-B508-96B3765B78DE.gif

jack D and coke
55 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

The Andrew situation and the 10 million reporting in the Panama papers have taken any respect I had for the queen.  All the FBI wants is to talk to him to help bring justice but she is helping him hide.  

Hate that creepy ******* andrew. 

Id honestly love to see it all ended in a Nicolae Ceaușescu style. 

Auldbenches
28 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Id honestly love to see it all ended in a Nicolae Ceaușescu style. 

They are in overdrive trying to market wills etc just now because they know we are sick of it.  

I genuinely think Harry got out partly to do with how they are protecting prince nonce.  

Andrew could be our trump card when she goes.  Protecting him won't be forgotten. 

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I just thought about it some more.  If it was the overwhelming will of the people,  parliament would have to act. I could see the armed forces siding with the royals v Joe Public in an insurrection,  but to overthrow the elected government? I seriously doubt it. I reckon it'd be a bloodless revolution.  

The "revolution" will most likely begin in the former colonies. I  reckon I could be shot of them in the next decade. The demographic of Australia is getting a long way from people who see the UK as the motherland.  Any semblance of relevance they might have once had is rapidly vanishing. Once those dominoes start tumbling...

I can’t think of a time when the English public were more pro-royal than now.

Not a cat’s chance in hell of Liz moving house. 

Edited by Boab

Der Kaiser
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Doesn't appear to be good for fishing......

A Boy Named Crow
41 minutes ago, Boab said:

I can’t think of a time when the English public were more pro-royal than now.

Not a cat’s chance in hell of Liz moving house. 

Fair enough, but this apparent determination on the part of the English to be ruled over only matters for as long as there is a UK. If Scotland becomes independent,  it then becomes much easier to just say thanks and see you later to the whole lot of them,  much like Australia might well do in the not too distant future. If the English want a royal family, fair play to them, but I do think even they will wise up eventually. 

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

When I read that I thought you were joking so I did a Google search. Unbelievable!

The Royals are not satisfied with all their palaces on land, they're going to get an ocean-going palace too.  The poor hard-pressed British taxpayers will foot the £200+ million bill, but they will not be welcome aboard unless it's to cook meals for the Royals, or clean their toilets.

I can just imagine how the Royals must laugh when they're behind closed doors.  Over-privileged and pampered like spoiled bairns, and the taxpayers are going to give them more. 

:wtf:

Sometimes the cure is as bad as the problem. Just read an article in the paper where Matt Gaetz the Republican Senator, presently mired in allegations regarding paying for sex , is now involved on a financial  problem, with these things surrounding him, he states quite strongly that if Trump does not run in the next election he will. It just seems tome society, or the citizenry can cure one ailment e.g Royalty but inherit a different but equally scurrilous replacement. The British have not always been full of praise for their PM, who based on the probable new conditions, constitution whatever would have a more extreme power.  I don't know why I even care to comment, I will be in the other Kingdom before it all happens.

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

When I read that I thought you were joking so I did a Google search. Unbelievable!

The Royals are not satisfied with all their palaces on land, they're going to get an ocean-going palace too.  The poor hard-pressed British taxpayers will foot the £200+ million bill, but they will not be welcome aboard unless it's to cook meals for the Royals, or clean their toilets.

I can just imagine how the Royals must laugh when they're behind closed doors.  Over-privileged and pampered like spoiled bairns, and the taxpayers are going to give them more. 

Don't think the royal family are driving this one. Another Boris scheme and going by reports today the Queen has turned down the idea of naming it after Prince Philip. I would doubt the any of the Royals will get the chance to use it, more likely Boris (if he's still around once it's built) on his mission to re-establish the empire. I mean when you only have two planes (refuelling aircraft and airbus 321 painted up in UK livery) you obviously need to have a yacht to host the cocktail parties where all the trade deals will be signed !!

(I would suggest 200 million could easily be trebled)

Салатные палочки

They met with one of our service users who is currently in rehab. I wonder what the conversation was like. "So Kate hen, this c@nt jumps oot the close, squerrin up tae iz right, av just pult the blade oot ma poakit n rammed it right in eez kidneys know?" 

Kate is a fine looking woman. 

dobmisterdobster
On 28/05/2021 at 12:49, Cade said:

The French and Russians had the right idea.

The Russian Empire was a million times better than the abomination known as the Soviet Union.

Anyone who knows basic history can tell that.

John Findlay
On 30/05/2021 at 13:54, Maple Leaf said:

Their old sea going palace is moored in Leith docks at Ocean Terminal. Is second only to Edinburgh Castle as the most visited tourist attraction in Edinburgh.

I think it will be alot harder to get rid of the Royal family than people imagine.

I think the UK as a whole is a long way off from becoming a republic, England even more so.

jack D and coke
42 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Their old sea going palace is moored in Leith docks at Ocean Terminal. Is second only to Edinburgh Castle as the most visited tourist attraction in Edinburgh.

I think it will be alot harder to get rid of the Royal family than people imagine.

I think the UK as a whole is a long way off from becoming a republic, England even more so.

I think Buckingham palace would remain a popular tourist attraction even if we fed the scrounging parasites to lions to be quite honest.

If you wish to be lorded over then your lords will appear. 

21 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I think Buckingham palace would remain a popular tourist attraction even if we fed the scrounging parasites to lions to be quite honest.

This ^^

I have visited Bucks house and Windsor Castle in the last few years. I really enjoyed visiting both of them - i was interested in the buildings, history and info on events that had taken place (the history of the family) but I don't care about the Royal Family as such. The palaces/homes would be major visitor attractions for decades to come. 

50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The Britannia's not even in the top 5 visited attractions in Edinburgh. Here's the top 6, and I'm sure there will be others above Britannia, considering the Zoo at number 6 gets upward of 800K visitors a year and Britannia coming in at under 400k.

1.National Museum of Scotland 
2.Edinburgh Castle
3.The Scottish National Gallery
4.St Giles’ Cathedral
5.Botanic Gardens
6.Edinburgh Zoo

Stick them on the boat and scuttle it. (They're used to scuttling in Leith.)

29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Versailles gets around 10 million visitors a year. Hmmmmm😉

manaliveits105

Platinum Jubilee 2022 starts a year today - street parties on 5th June 2022 - huzzah !

gives us all something to look forward to :ears: