The Royal family

HartleyLegend3

Percival King
50 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Whether your with Britain or anti-established or whatever Britain can put on a show

Helps when the budget is probably unlimited but, yep, we're very good at stuff like this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• A Boy Named Crow

Салатные палочки
40 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Some of my mate's neighbours in Currie arranged a street party yesterday. This was it at its peak.

IMG-20220603-WA0013.jpg

Young lad in the middle thought there would be bursds there. 

SLB knocked it out the park.  Aleisha Keys went and fetched it and knocked it out even further.  George Ezra can gtf 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, JWL said:

Rod Stewart singing Sweet Caroline, would imagine Kerrydale Street will be a decent laugh tonight.

Killing Caroline more like it, Mrs Frenchman had an absolute rant

https://twitter.com/themcfet/status/1533180144638205958?s=20&t=QE49uxxoBGObCTzE4VLHcg

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

jack D and coke

The Union Jack shouldn’t be on display. It’s one of the most English things I’ve ever seen in my entire life. 
Nothing wrong with that of course they’re entitled to celebrate things that make them feel English but that is in another universe from Scotland. 

Rocco_Jambo

What a great show so far.

Really great to see Nicola manage to get out and be able to really enjoy herself after the last couple of torrid weeks.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

SLB knocked it out the park.  Aleisha Keys went and fetched it and knocked it out even further.  George Ezra can gtf 

Excuse my ignorance, but - SLB?

2 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Whether your with Britain or anti-established or whatever Britain can put on a show

It's a ****ing disgrace the money being wasted on this freak show ? 

Considering the current financial climate its disrespect to all the families struggling to cope. 

Britain can put on a show right enough, pity they can't feed the nation 🙄

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Considering the current financial climate its disrespect to all the families struggling to cope. 

Then there’ll be the funeral and the next coronation.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Correct wonderful event got them to put it on here in Spain - after Germany game 

my street back in Edinburgh had the flags up before I left - what a week 

GSTQ 

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

The Union Jack shouldn’t be on display. It’s one of the most English things I’ve ever seen in my entire life. 
Nothing wrong with that of course they’re entitled to celebrate things that make them feel English but that is in another universe from Scotland. 

:tlj:

Lone Striker
11 hours ago, FWJ said:

Carrie (just back from the abattoir by the looks of it) wears hers so that she doesn’t need to talk to or look at Clownshoes

86998003-5EC9-49F6-BA38-F971EC4B3C46.png

Christ - if we didn't know the context,  this could easily be mistaken for a JFK/Grassy Knoll moment  😲

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Thoughts not smileys…spit it out👍🏼

Having always had you down as a clever(ish) sort 😉, I didn't want to insult you by pointing out the origin of the blue in the UJ flag.      😎

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Having always had you down as a clever(ish) sort 😉, I didn't want to insult you by pointing out the origin of the blue in the UJ flag.      😎

Lol me? Cleverish? 😂 I’m well aware what the blue is..my point was that didn’t feel like a British event to me. It just felt so English and like I say there’s nothing wrong with that the English are a fine people I have plenty pals down south and they can be as proud as they want about that nonsense. 
That felt another planet from Scotland for me was all. 

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I was in oz and ordered bangers and mash in a “British” pub in Brisbane. On hearing my accent the guy said I have to warn you the sausages come with an England flag in them…I smiled and said it’s cool.

They arrived with UJ flags and I had to explain what the blue was😐

SwindonJambo
42 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Not to mention the red diagonals from the old St Patrick's cross representing Ireland for the 100 odd years the whole of Ireland was in the Union, yet are still part of the Union Flag today.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Tell you what we can do - moan.

The Australians are right. Bunch of whinging poms.   Yay us.

Scot’s aren’t poms…

jack D and coke
Just now, FWJ said:

Ah yes, Scottish exceptionalism.

It’s not at all. Poms are not scots. I have Aussie relatives too. 

jack D and coke
Just now, FWJ said:

Oh

Snap

Then you should know lol. It’s a cricket and rugby thing mostly. Cricket is their main sport tho. 

Rocco_Jambo

Does anyone know what Nicola is doing for afters?

She looked like she had a great time earlier. I wonder where she has gone for an aperitif tonight?

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Then you should know lol. It’s a cricket and rugby thing mostly. Cricket is their main sport tho. 

Aye

Geoff Kilpatrick
28 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Not to mention the red diagonals from the old St Patrick's cross representing Ireland for the 100 odd years the whole of Ireland was in the Union, yet are still part of the Union Flag today.

Think you should check the Government of Ireland Act of 1920.

Geoff Kilpatrick
32 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Scot’s aren’t poms…

No clear definition of what a Pom is. I've been called a Pom before out here. Of course, I did respond by asking what part of New Zealand they were from.

BTW, Australia has the right idea. The annual holiday for Her Maj's birthday is next week!

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No clear definition of what a Pom is. I've been called a Pom before out here. Of course, I did respond by asking what part of New Zealand they were from.

BTW, Australia has the right idea. The annual holiday for Her Maj's birthday is next week!

:lol: 

You’ve been called a pom because they thought you were English no?

A man from NI (or Scotland) is not a pom. That’s not you being exceptionalist surely??

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

A man from NI (or Scotland) is not a pom. That’s not you being exceptionalist surely??

It's never been clear if it is an epithet for English or British. Personally, I couldn't care less either way but it is surprising in this day and age how much it is allowed in accepted usage in news bulletins, for example.

jack D and coke
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's never been clear if it is an epithet for English or British. Personally, I couldn't care less either way but it is surprising in this day and age how much it is allowed in accepted usage in news bulletins, for example.

Fair enough. My cousins use it to talk about them playing the ashes and rugby WC etc. I don’t consider it an offensive term either but imo it’s England they’re on about. 

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s not at all. Poms are not scots. I have Aussie relatives too. 

Im a Scot living in Australia, when people talk to me about poms, they mean the Enhlish. 100%.

John Gentleman
59 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I've been here 48 years and I've never been called a Pom. Not to my face, anyway.
It's a term that's been slowly losing currency anyway, as the population becomes increasingly multicultural. It's not a word that's used by people from non Anglo-Celtic backgrounds.

Maple Leaf
7 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

I watched the Trooping of the Colour twice.  It was spectacular.  The marching skills and the coordination of the soldiers was incredible.  As an ex-serviceman I know how difficult it is.

To the huge amusement of my wife, two or three times I called out "Well done, lads." :facepalm:

Angel eyes
6 hours ago, luckydug said:

Your no wrong, bit like the 20million Sturgeon is wasting on the Indy ref#2 eh.

On 05/06/2022 at 10:41, FWJ said:

Ah yes, Scottish exceptionalism.

P prisoners O of M mother E england ......!

Class of 75

Quite interesting the history behind POM. Several theories as to what it meant. Could have been Prisoners of Mother England, Prisoners of Her Majesty, the colour of the Red Pom Poms on the hats of the sailors transporting the prisoners or the colour of the prisoners faces when they were subjected to the hot Australian sun. Those arriving from the Northern Hemisphere had faces red like Pomegranate. Although dying out the now, evidence would suggest that this applied to all British immigrants and not just the English.

Edited by Class of 75

A Boy Named Crow
16 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Quite interesting the history behind POM. Several theories as to what it meant. Could have been Prisoners of Mother England, Prisoners of Her Majesty, the colour of the Red Pom Poms on the hats of the sailors transporting the prisoners or the colour of the prisoners faces when they were subjected to the hot Australian sun. Those arriving from the Northern Hemisphere had faces red like Pomegranate. Although dying out the now, evidence would suggest that this applied to all British immigrants and not just the English.

Nah, only in the same way as the England fans waved union flags at Wembley in 1966. Poms themselves would think the term was referring to all Brits, but only because England and Britain are one and the same to them...they'd be wrong though. 

I P Knightley
18 hours ago, FWJ said:

Carrie (just back from the abattoir by the looks of it) wears hers so that she doesn’t need to talk to or look at Clownshoes

86998003-5EC9-49F6-BA38-F971EC4B3C46.png

It looks like she shielded herself from a red wine chunder. 

Seymour M Hersh

Found this explanation though the actual origin of pom seems to be lost in the mists of time. 

"The term pommy, pom or pommie,[1] in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, usually denotes a person of English heritage or origin. Less commonly, it can refer to anyone from Britain or the United Kingdom. A derogatory term, it was controversially ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority.[2] Despite these changing views, many British people or those of British origin consider the expression offensive or racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people, yet acceptable when used within that community: for example, the community group British People Against Racial Discrimination was among those who complained to the Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", prompting the 2006 decision.[3]

The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[4][5][6][7] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[8] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn. Pomegranates are also a Middle Eastern fruit and were a fairly insignificant fruit in Australia and not well known until recently.[9] What many British emigrants find a source of irritation is when Australians refer to all Britons as 'English.' The British Isles comprises Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland; therefore Poms can be from anywhere in the UK, and not just England. Another unofficial explanation is that P.O.M. stands for 'Prisoner of Millbank', that P.O.M.E stands for Prisoner of Mother England or that P.O.H.M.E. stands for 'Prisoner of Her Majesty's Exile'. However, the OED states that there is no evidence for these terms or abbreviations being used and that they are an unlikely source. Historian Richard Holt maintains the origin of the term comes from English cricket tours of Australia where the English gentlemen amateurs would drink Pommery Champagne in preference to Australian beer".[10]

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, Mister T said:

Rod needs to retire. 

Rod made his dosh early when he was half decent…….it’s only the weege that still think he’s any good and, they keep his bank balance topped up, his audiences consist of mainly blue rinses (well bleached blonds) and cardigan wearers.  Is it true he has a placard outside his LA mansion which says “Celtic park” (or similar)

4 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Your no wrong, bit like the 20million Sturgeon is wasting on the Indy ref#2 eh.

Money we'll spent if it leads to a Scottish Republic 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Angel eyes
12 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Money we'll spent if it leads to a Scottish Republic 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Mm……

Ainsley Harriott
10 hours ago, luckydug said:

The Jubilee bank holiday weekend has boosted the economy by 6 billion. Money well spent.

Ainsley Harriott
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It really isn't though what utter tripe you post.