• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• A Boy Named Crow

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

the media (Nazi & Express) have done a cracking job of promoting William & Kate.

Feck knows why.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

No sign of any celebrations among Her Majesty's loyal subjects in southern Ontario.  There's still time, I suppose.

That's because they are over in London and camping out along the Mall, just seen a Sky News report on the jubilee and a live shot showed Canadian flags drapped over the barriers.....there are people camping out already along the route so as they can get a prime view of everything.

Maple Leaf
16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's because they are over in London and camping out along the Mall, just seen a Sky News report on the jubilee and a live shot showed Canadian flags drapped over the barriers.....there are people camping out already along the route so as they can get a prime view of everything.

Yes, there is a small percentage of people here who are loyal monarchists.  They're outnumbered by people who would prefer to dump the crown, and even more heavily outnumbered by people who don't give a shit.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

the media (Nazi & Express) have done a cracking job of promoting William & Kate.

Feck knows why.

It’s vomiting stuff.

Der Kaiser

Citizens having to use food banks on the same day as an elaborate party to celebrate an unelected privileged and ridiculously wealthy old lady and her family living in a palace for 70 years. 

tenor_(1).gif.2d98b402208faae9b5f9f9e5c64bcc66.gif

Japan Jambo
2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Citizens having to use food banks on the same day as an elaborate party to celebrate an unelected privileged and ridiculously wealthy old lady and her family living in a palace for 70 years. 

tenor_(1).gif.2d98b402208faae9b5f9f9e5c64bcc66.gif

might get another couple of days off when she gets her electricity bill...

A Boy Named Crow
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, there is a small percentage of people here who are loyal monarchists.  They're outnumbered by people who would prefer to dump the crown, and even more heavily outnumbered by people who don't give a shit.

No mention of the royals or the jubilee at all over here. No flag shagging sycophants or frothing hate either, just completely appropriate apathy from the Australians. 

Our headlines on the ABC are (in order)

1 - The new Labor cabinet

2 - An unidentified body being identified 

3 -  China's charm offensive in the Pacific

4 - Guns in the USA

5 - Discovery of a big plant

The royals just don't matter at all. 

3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

People in this thread be like... 😄

FTcaRa0XoAEvu72.jpg.70ac72d84040cac1651e3bee3771ba74.jpg

Is that a Hoose jocks waving the England flag. How pathetic. 

This is the world when a Scots born Brit tells them they voted against independence.giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95230cf591772b4a2c20

12 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

No sign of any celebrations among Her Majesty's loyal subjects in southern Ontario.  There's still time, I suppose.

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

No mention of the royals or the jubilee at all over here. No flag shagging sycophants or frothing hate either, just completely appropriate apathy from the Australians. 

Our headlines on the ABC are (in order)

1 - The new Labor cabinet

2 - An unidentified body being identified 

3 -  China's charm offensive in the Pacific

4 - Guns in the USA

5 - Discovery of a big plant

The royals just don't matter at all. 

star-trek-picard.gif

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Is that a Hoose jocks waving the England flag. How pathetic. 

This is the world when a Scots born Brit tells them they voted against independence.giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95230cf591772b4a2c20

I didn't vote in the referendum.

Many Independence supporters wrap themselves in flags and are just as kitsch as many Royalists. So it's a case of glass houses.

Shooter McGavin
7 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

People in this thread be like... 😄

FTcaRa0XoAEvu72.jpg.70ac72d84040cac1651e3bee3771ba74.jpg

The union jack has become a symbol for the far-right, and is stained with racism & classism.

When people see the union jack now they see foodbanks, child poverty, racism, Prince Andrew, anti-immigration, raping and pillaging.

That’s what that flag stands for.

It’s quite simple really.

dobmisterdobster
25 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The union jack has become a symbol for the far-right, and is stained with racism & classism.

When people see the union jack now they see foodbanks, child poverty, racism, Prince Andrew, anti-immigration, raping and pillaging.

That’s what that flag stands for.

It’s quite simple really.

No, that's what you think and you project your baggage onto others.

Shooter McGavin
27 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

No, that's what you think and you project your baggage onto others.

When you look at a nations flag, you think of the people, the culture and the history of that country.

Foodbanks, child poverty, racism, Prince Andrew, anti-immigration, raping and pillaging.

All synonymous with Britain, I’m afraid.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

When you look at a nations flag, you think of the people, the culture and the history of that country.

Foodbanks, child poverty, racism, Prince Andrew, anti-immigration, raping and pillaging.

You forgot enslaving people and the concentration camps.

The royal family need to be made extinct.

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Again, your bitterness projected onto others.

Shooter McGavin
40 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Again, your bitterness projected onto others.

You’re quite good at dishing out silly little replies with no content, explanation or reasoning eh?

I’m not going to waste my time replying to you from now on as you’re a tiresome individual who offers absolutely nothing when it comes to having a discussion, or debating something.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

You forgot enslaving people and the concentration camps.

The royal family need to be made extinct.

Oh yes let’s add those to the list too.

The British empire brutally murdered, raped and pillaged civilisations the world over, and now we get to watch an unelected “Royal” sitting on a golden throne, have a crown covered in stolen jewels driven to a palace in a convoy of three Rolls Royces, and tell you about how people starving is a priority.

All whilst docile people get outraged that you’re not willing to celebrate the Queens Jubilee, whilst kids up and down the country are shaking with hunger, and wake up in a freezing cold house.

Dirty Deeds

I suspect the Jubilee boosts republicanism more than it does the royals.

Personally I'm ambivalent towards them all of the time until they're in my face with their glorious majestic nonsense. 

I'd vote to abolish them but I won't be out on the streets calling for their heads. 

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Personally I'm ambivalent towards them all of the time until they're in my face with their glorious majestic nonsense. 

I'd vote to abolish them but I won't be out on the streets calling for their heads. 

We should chop of thier heads and stick them on spikes .

20 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Personally I am in the latter group. I have to say though I was quite happy when I received a Jubilee Medal in honor of my military, police and Community service. I don't honestly believe Liz commented to someone y'know Big Boab in Vancouver deserves a medal so give him one, I suspect certain departments were asked to submit potential recipients and I was vetted accordingly. But just like the picture of Charles with all his when I go to Remembrance Day services its nice to have medals from my military service, GSM, Jubilee, and 20 year service  Canadian Police Medal. Nothing heroic, its just nice for an old man to look at them and think of the things in life you done that were just ignored.

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Interesting point you raise, almost got kicked out a cab last night for having the temerity to suggest that may have overdone it with the union jacks around town. While I do see them as an anachronism I wish them no harm and happily concede they are a draw for the tourists. I will be glad when this is over and back to normal.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Interesting point you raise, almost got kicked out a cab last night for having the temerity to suggest that may have overdone it with the union jacks around town. While I do see them as an anachronism I wish them no harm and happily concede they are a draw for the tourists. I will be glad when this is over and back to normal.

Are they a draw for the tourists?

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are they a draw for the tourists?

Undoubtedly, the place is hoaching unfortunately.

Unknown user
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

Undoubtedly, the place is hoaching unfortunately.

It might well be, but why attribute that to an attraction they'll never see?

Japan Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

It might well be, but why attribute that to an attraction they'll never see?

They are camping out on the mall for a chance to wave. Don't get the fascination myself but it's a draw for many.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

They are camping out on the mall for a chance to wave. Don't get the fascination myself but it's a draw for many.

Sorry, away from the jubilee I meant

Maple Leaf
35 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Personally I am in the latter group. I have to say though I was quite happy when I received a Jubilee Medal in honor of my military, police and Community service. I don't honestly believe Liz commented to someone y'know Big Boab in Vancouver deserves a medal so give him one, I suspect certain departments were asked to submit potential recipients and I was vetted accordingly. But just like the picture of Charles with all his when I go to Remembrance Day services its nice to have medals from my military service, GSM, Jubilee, and 20 year service  Canadian Police Medal. Nothing heroic, its just nice for an old man to look at them and think of the things in life you done that were just ignored.

Wear your medals with pride, Bob, you earned them.  I did two years National Service in the British army and got no medals.  I didn't even get a 'thank you'. :biggrin2:

As for the monarchy, it's well past the time that Canada severed it's colonial ties with the UK.  To me, it's absurd that Canada's head of state is a foreigner who is also head of the Anglican church. Last time I checked, only about 5% of Canadians are Anglican.  The current arrangement is definitely a hold-over from colonial times and well past it's "best before" date. 

Having said that, most Canadians don't care much one way or the other ... they have more important things to be concerned about. 

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Not sure what's worse. The 'house jock' insult or the fact it's tolerated on this board.

If the cap fits. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 31/05/2022 at 06:58, manaliveits105 said:

Street bunting and UJs  up already - not long to the big day - have a great Jubilee everyone :greggy:

Woo hoo, I can beat that. Plenty of Blackburn has Union flag bunting out but my Proclaimer lookalike Hobbit fud next door with his Celtic minded wife have hung out green, white and orange bunting. Maybe just as well we stay at the end of a cul-de-sac, windows would go otherwise.

Dirty Deeds
2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Woo hoo, I can beat that. Plenty of Blackburn has Union flag bunting out but my Proclaimer lookalike Hobbit fud next door with his Celtic minded wife have hung out green, white and orange bunting. Maybe just as well we stay at the end of a cul-de-sac, windows would go otherwise.

Maybe they're wanting HM to be head of state of a United Ireland 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Maybe they're wanting HM to be head of state of a United Ireland 

Screenshot_20220601-233634_WhatsApp.jpg

Unknown user
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Looking forward to the tolerant and inclusive independent Scotland we are to become :rolleyes4:

It'll be hell on earth, all people allowed to say hoose jock on websites :sad: 

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It'll be hell on earth, all people allowed to say hoose jock on websites :sad: 

:yas:

John Gentleman
On 01/06/2022 at 00:05, Maple Leaf said:

None here either. And I'm not about to start any.

John Gentleman
49 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jun/01/minister-republic-twilight-queen-reign-good-opportunity-next-for-australia

The new Australian government is wasting no time in readying the country to ditch the lizards.

We've been here before with a referendum. It went down.

The easy bit is getting shot of the Royals (as in, family). The hard bit is replacing the institution of 'The Crown'. An executive state presidency like the US or France? That was voted down. A non-executive presidency appointed by parliament? That was kyboshed too.
Therein lies the problem at the heart of Westminster democracies like UK, Canada, Australia and NZ. They've all got 'The Crown' as their top level institution. It's a very hard thing to replace, and nobody can agree on a robust replacement. 

A Boy Named Crow
29 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

We've been here before with a referendum. It went down.

The easy bit is getting shot of the Royals (as in, family). The hard bit is replacing the institution of 'The Crown'. An executive state presidency like the US or France? That was voted down. A non-executive presidency appointed by parliament? That was kyboshed too.
Therein lies the problem at the heart of Westminster democracies like UK, Canada, Australia and NZ. They've all got 'The Crown' as their top level institution. It's a very hard thing to replace, and nobody can agree on a robust replacement. 

How about a two question referendum?

Q1 - Republic or monarchy

Q2 - if it's a republic, which of these ... options would you go for?

My choice,  which I have mentioned before is to have the head of state to have ceremonial powers only,  and to be appointed for reasonably short stints like jury duty. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

John Gentleman
19 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

How about a two question referendum?

Q1 - Republic or monarchy

Q2 - if it's a republic, which of these ... options would you go for?

My choice,  which I have mentioned before is to have the head of state to have ceremonial powers only,  and to be appointed for reasonably short stints like jury duty. 

I agree with you. Keep the Westminster system with a prime minister. Parliament can get rid of (bad) prime ministers at any time. Reserve powers of the (current) Governer General ('The Crown') to be handed over to the High Court of Australia (highest jurisdiction). Thereafter renamed 'The State'. Popularly elect a president every 3 years with complete authority to cut ribbons, open things, kiss babies, dish out awards and fly the flag when abroad.

Bring it on......

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

I agree with you. Keep the Westminster system with a prime minister. Parliament can get rid of (bad) prime ministers at any time. Reserve powers of the (current) Governer General ('The Crown') to be handed over to the High Court of Australia (highest jurisdiction). Thereafter renamed 'The State'. Popularly elect a president every 3 years with complete authority to cut ribbons, open things, kiss babies, dish out awards and fly the flag when abroad.

Bring it on......

You and me chief,  we're starting a political party!

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Bring it on......

Not working here!

Unknown user
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Thin end of the wedge, Schmidt.

'No' voters rounded up and forced to recant in Gaelic or some other undecipherable shite while apologising to the manumitted fieldies, eh?

Never apologized to a fieldy in my life, YMW ya bas